PDA

View Full Version : Frank Walker Signs a 1 yr deal with US!!

POLISHHAWK
03-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Our 1st signing outside the team!!! Here weeeeee Gooooo!

Packnut
03-13-2007, 12:03 PM
My heart be still! I thought Teddy was under the impression that free agency had been out-lawed in GB this season. My Bad........... :lol:

Way to go Mr Thompson, keep up the good work!

packers11
03-13-2007, 12:05 PM
Frank who??? :lol:

MadtownPacker
03-13-2007, 12:07 PM
Break out bubbly!!

So whats the scoop on this cat?

vince
03-13-2007, 12:07 PM
ANALYSIS

Positives: Very sharp coming out of his backpedal, showing excellent hip swerve turning on the ball … Fluid in transition and has the range to anticipate the pass in the zone … Utilizes his awesome speed to make tackles at the opposite end of the field … Displays the body control to maintain balance leaping for the ball … Has soft hands for the interception and is very effective securing the ball when fielding punts and kickoffs … Determined run stuffer who quickly steps up to fill the lanes … Uses his hands well to discard blocks in the trenches … Likes to charge after the ball carrier to drag him down near the line … Has the temperament and ideal size to excel as a bump-and-run artist … Displays the reflexes and instincts to excel as a deep-coverage defender … Very fluid in his hip movements and anticipates the pass well … Shows impressive range playing in the zone.

Negatives: Still needs to develop better field instincts, as he takes time to diagnose the plays … More of a collision-type tackler rather than a wrapup one … While smooth in his backpedal, he needs to do a better job of getting his head around to see the play develop … Still developing his deep-coverage techniques, but shows an outstanding recovery burst.

bigcoz75
03-13-2007, 12:08 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=941

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/396111

SkinBasket
03-13-2007, 12:08 PM
http://espn.starwave.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/65x90/6543.jpg

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6543

Zool
03-13-2007, 12:09 PM
So we have a supa-fast return man finally?

Packnut
03-13-2007, 12:10 PM
From Scouts Inc:

Walker is a four-year veteran that was drafted in the fourth round by the Giants in 2003. He has been pretty much a career backup to this point and is still learning how to play at this level. He is a good athlete with speed, agility and quickness going for him. He is fluid in the hips and can flip them to turn and run with receivers deep. The only issue is that he is lacking that great top-end burst to catch up if he takes a false step or misreads a route. He is better in trail and bump coverage than when in man off or in zone. He still needs a lot of work on route recognition as well as reading the quarterback to get a jump on the ball. He appears to guess at times and is not quite fast or explosive enough to make up for his mistakes. He is lacking the size to compete with some of the bigger receivers we are seeing in the league these days and may be best suited as the nickel back type of corner at this point. He is willing on run support and will try to drag ball carriers down but is not big or powerful enough to be a force against the run. At this stage he needs to prove that he belongs in the NFL and quit relying on being a project.

SkinBasket
03-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Well, no matter how average he might be, he's about 40 times better than Dendy.

Packnut
03-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Well, no matter how average he might be, he's about 40 times better than Dendy.

There are old ladies who are better than Dendy! :lol:

gureski
03-13-2007, 12:13 PM
BOOM. Nickel back that's as good as anything people were concerned we missed out on. Patience. Just be patient.

pbmax
Vince, are you telling me we just signed Carroll again?

Then again, there is no mention of "good recovery by virtue of being dragged along while holding onto opposing player's jersey".

ANALYSIS

Negatives: ... he needs to do a better job of getting his head around to see the play develop ....

MacCool606
"At this stage he needs to prove that he belongs in the NFL and quit relying on being a project."

He will be coached by someone that could be described the same.

swede
03-13-2007, 12:14 PM
On a sunny and spring-like day in march the Polar weasel emerges from his den and makes the first FA signing of the season.

Hearts are lifted at the mere possibility that the dude can play.

Packnut
03-13-2007, 12:18 PM
BOOM. Nickel back that's as good as anything people were concerned we missed out on. Patience. Just be patient.

Ahh, scouts inc has Walker rated even with A Carroll, but I'll take your word for it that he was the best nickel back out there......... :P

mmmdk
03-13-2007, 12:18 PM
...with this Walker signing...I'm thinking super bowl or bust... :roll:

MadtownPacker
03-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Maybe he can wear #84 to save people some $$$?

Packnut
03-13-2007, 12:23 PM

Man, I could break my Walker jerseys out of mothballs! :oops:

ND72
03-13-2007, 12:25 PM
I think Frank Walker is a huge upgrade over Patrick Dendy, and could become a very solid Nickle back for us. I think we have for sure 3 corners now that can be productive, and you never know what Blackmon could do. Get Underwood healthy, let Culver grow more, and you have Collins, Underwood, Culver, and Manuel at Safety.

HarveyWallbangers
03-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Link?

vince
03-13-2007, 12:26 PM

Then again, there is no mention of "good recovery by virtue of being dragged along while holding onto opposing player's jersey".

ANALYSIS

Negatives: ... he needs to do a better job of getting his head around to see the play develop ....
His scouting reports do sound eerily similar... I gotta believe (hope) this guy can bump and run better than Carroll. If he's the second coming of TOAST, we're screwed.

pbmax
03-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Remember Elvis "Toast" Patterson? CB for the Giants.

One of the 25 best nicknames in the NFL.

Which sounds like a New Topic idea. Has it already been done?

ANALYSIS

His scouting reports do sound eerily similar... I gotta believe (hope) this guy can bump and run better than Carroll. If he's the second coming of TOAST, we're screwed.

gureski
03-13-2007, 12:31 PM

Ahh, scouts inc has Walker rated even with A Carroll, but I'll take your word for it that he was the best nickel back out there......... :P

Don't put words into my mouth. I never said he was the best nickel back out there. I said he's as good as anything that was out there.

What I recall people saying they wanted was a nickel back with potential to be groomed into a future starter. Seems to me that's what the team got in Walker. A young guy who can go into Nickel (or dime) back duties that has the potential to develop into a better player.

mmmdk
03-13-2007, 12:36 PM

Don't put words into my mouth. I never said he was the best nickel back out there. I said he's as good as anything that was out there.

What I recall people saying they wanted was a nickel back with potential to be groomed into a future starter. Seems to me that's what the team got in Walker. A young guy who can go into Nickel (or dime) back duties that has the potential to develop into a better player.

Let's be frank...will Walker be a starter in his his fifth season? It's a gamble but a cheap one. Commitment to cheapness? TT is drawn to building through the draft - fine, good, no problem! I say, THEN DRAFT BETTER.

MadtownPacker
03-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Al Harris took about that long to become a starter and look at him now.

FritzDontBlitz
03-13-2007, 12:45 PM
the analysis vince posted sounded very promising, but i am tired of seeing all these short db's getting signed. why do we keep signing covermen that are under 6 feet when most of the wideouts we play against are more than 6 feet tall?

Packnut
03-13-2007, 12:50 PM

Um, you stated he's "as good as anything out there" meaning he's as good as Hood. Hood was the best nickel back on the market ergo, if Walker's as good as Hood and Hood is the best out there than Walker is also the best out there? Just funnin with ya, although the fact you believe Walker and Hood are in the same ball park is frightening to say the least!

gureski
03-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Not trying to book it to you but do you have a list that you saw pubished somewhere that had Hood as the #1 CB (or nickel back) on the market this year? Obviously Clements would've led that list but maybe looking at the overall list it would be easy to pick out Nickel back type players?

I hadn't seen a list that had Hood as the #1 nickel CB. If you have a link to a list of what other CB's were on the market as of March 1, I'd love to see it.

What I heard fans calling for was a young DB with potential that could handle nickel back duties and possibly develop into a starter down the road. Isn't that what this kid is?

I'm sure the team isn't done now at CB but it's a piece that fits what people were asking for.

bigcoz75
03-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Additional Walker info

CAMPUS AGILITY TESTS
Timed at 4.33 in the 40-yard dash … 3.67 20-yard shuttle … 39½-inch vertical jump … 11'2" broad jump … 355-pound bench press … 500-pound squat … 330-pound power clean.

Packnut
03-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Not trying to book it to you but do you have a list that you saw pubished somewhere that had Hood as the #1 CB (or nickel back) on the market this year? Obviously Clements would've led that list but maybe looking at the overall list it would be easy to pick out Nickel back type players?

I hadn't seen a list that had Hood as the #1 nickel CB. If you have a link to a list of what other CB's were on the market as of March 1, I'd love to see it.

What I heard fans calling for was a young DB with potential that could handle nickel back duties and possibly develop into a starter down the road. Isn't that what this kid is?

I'm sure the team isn't done now at CB but it's a piece that fits what people were asking for.

This is from ESPN's Scouts Inc. They have them rated in order and you can see Walker is way down on their list.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Pos. FA Type Ht. Wt. Exp. 2006 Team 2007 Team Grade Comment
Nate Clements CB UFA 6-0 209 6 Bills 49ers 82 Expert's Take
Asante Samuel CB UFA 5-10 185 4 Patriots 79 Expert's Take
Nick Harper CB UFA 5-10 182 6 Colts 68 Expert's Take
Jason David CB RFA 5-8 180 3 Colts 64 Expert's Take
Fred Smoot CB Released 5-11 178 6 Vikings Redskins 63 Expert's Take
Travis Fisher CB UFA 5-10 189 5 Rams 62 Expert's Take
Roderick Hood CB UFA 5-11 196 4 Eagles Cardinals 62 Expert's Take
David Macklin CB UFA 5-10 206 7 Cardinals 60 Expert's Take
B.J. Sams CB RFA 5-10 185 3 Ravens 60 Expert's Take
Daylon McCutcheon CB Released 5-10 190 8 Browns 59 Expert's Take
Kiwaukee Thomas CB UFA 5-11 192 7 Bills 59 Expert's Take
Ralph Brown CB UFA 5-10 185 7 Browns 58 Expert's Take
Curtis Deloatch CB Released 6-2 210 3 Saints 58 Expert's Take
Jamar Fletcher CB UFA 5-10 186 6 Lions 58 Expert's Take
Kenny Wright CB UFA 6-1 207 8 Redskins Browns 58 Expert's Take
Torrie Cox CB UFA 5-9 181 4 Buccaneers Buccaneers 57 Expert's Take
Tory James CB UFA 6-2 192 11 Bengals 55 Expert's Take
Lenny Walls CB UFA 6-4 192 5 Chiefs 55 Expert's Take
Rashad Bauman CB UFA 5-8 184 5 Bengals 54 Expert's Take
Phillip Buchanon CB UFA 5-11 185 5 Buccaneers Buccaneers 53 Expert's Take
Randall Gay CB UFA 5-11 190 3 Patriots 53 Expert's Take
Dexter McCleon CB UFA 5-10 195 9 Texans 53 Expert's Take
Ahmad Carroll CB RFA 5-10 190 3 Jaguars 52 Expert's Take
William James CB UFA 6-0 200 6 Eagles Eagles 52 Expert's Take
Ade Jimoh CB UFA 6-1 190 4 Redskins Redskins 52 Expert's Take
Tyrone Poole CB Released 5-8 190 12 Raiders 52 Expert's Take
Lewis Sanders CB UFA 6-1 210 7 Texans Falcons 52 Expert's Take
Robert Tate CB UFA 5-11 194 8 Cardinals 52 Expert's Take
Frank Walker CB UFA 5-10 197 4 NY Giants 52 Expert's Take
Blue Adams CB RFA 5-10 184 3 Buccaneers 51 Expert's Take
Duane Starks CB UFA 5-10 174 9 Raiders 51 Expert's Take
Chris Cash CB UFA 5-10 185 5 Falcons 50 Expert's Take
Sammy Davis CB UFA 6-1 195 4 49ers 50 Expert's Take
DeJuan Groce CB UFA 5-10 191 4 Saints Saints 50 Expert's Take
Donald Strickland CB UFA 5-10 187 4 49ers 49ers 50 Expert's Take
Roc Alexander CB Released 5-10 190 3 Texans Texans 49 Expert's Take
Chidi Iwuoma CB UFA 5-9 184 6 Steelers 49 Expert's Take
Eddie Jackson CB Released 6-0 200 3 Dolphins 49 Expert's Take
Michael Lehan CB UFA 6-0 190 4 Dolphins 49 Expert's Take
Keith Smith CB RFA 5-11 192 3 Lions 49 Expert's Take
Jimmy Williams CB UFA 5-11 190 6 Seahawks 49 Expert's Take
Benny Sapp CB RFA 5-9 190 3 Chiefs 48 Expert's Take
Nathan Jones CB RFA 5-10 192 3 Cowboys 47 Expert's Take
Jacques Reeves CB RFA 5-11 192 3 Cowboys 47 Expert's Take
Von Hutchins CB RFA 5-9 181 3 Texans 46 Expert's Take
Greg Brooks CB RFA 5-11 182 3 Bengals 45 Expert's Take
Chris McKenzie CB Released 5-8 182 2 Texans 44 Expert's Take
Ray Mickens CB UFA 5-8 180 11 Patriots 42 Expert's Take
Pete Hunter CB UFA 6-2 212 5 Seahawks 41 Expert's Take

Key

UFA: Unrestricted Free Agent; a player who has completed four or more accrued seasons and whose contract has expired.

RFA: Restricted Free Agent; a player who has completed three accrued seasons and whose contract has expired.

Released: A player released by his team with years remaining on his contract.

Grade: After watching film and evaluating players, our scouts have assigned each a numeric grade from 40-100.

Grading scale
90-100: Elite Player
Player demonstrates rare abilities and can create mismatches that have an obvious impact on the game. ... Premier NFL player who has all the skills to consistently play at a championship level. ... Rates as one of the top players at his position in the league.
80-89: Outstanding Player
Player has abilities to create mismatches versus most opponents in the NFL. ... A feature player who has an impact on the outcome of the game. ... Cannot be shut down by a single player and plays on a consistent level week in and week out.

70-79: Good Starter
Solid starter who is close to being an outstanding player. ... Has few weaknesses and usually will win his individual matchup but does not dominate in every game, especially when matched up against the top players in the league.

60-69: Average Starter
A valuable roster player but not a dominant player against the better players he faces on a weekly basis. ... Gives great effort and teams are glad to have him, but he may or may not go to the next level.

50-59: Good Backup
This is a player who is really on the bubble and only starts because of a deficiency at the position. ... He lacks complete overall skills, and although he will battle, he will hinder his team's ability to play at a championship level if he is forced to be in the starting lineup consistently over a 16-game season. Teams don't mind having him on the roster but are always looking to upgrade.

40-49: Below Average Backup/Core Special Teamers
Strictly a backup player who is not capable of starting. If forced to, he is only a short-term fix. ... He might make the roster because of special-teams contributions or experience. ... He is the type of player teams consistently look to replace with an upgrade. ... He always will be a borderline roster player.

30: Developmental Player
Players with this grade have very little film to evaluate. Such players might flash potential in the preseason but don't have any regular-season performances to judge. they usually have very little experience but have to be tracked due to developmental potential.

20: Rookie (Post Draft)
No professional tape to evaluate. These players will have an evaluation based on their college tape, but we will not put a new grade on them until after their rookie seasons. They will carry the 20 grade throughout their first NFL season.

10: Evaluation in Process
Need more information

ESPN WebHot ESPN Searches: NCAA Tournament Challenge | Pokey Chatman | McShay: Updated NFL Mock Draft
Hot Multimedia Searches: College hoops: Tourney talk | NBA highlights | NASCAR highlights

ESPN.com: Help | PR Media Kit | Sales Media Kit | Report a Bug | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Supplier Information | Copyright ©2007 ESPN Internet Ventures. Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and Safety Information/Your California Privacy Rights are applicable to you. All rights reserved.

Packnut
03-13-2007, 01:26 PM

This is their specific take on Hood. Also what I'm trying to say and I don't see how it can be disputed is since there is little help available on offense, Thompson should have taken that 21 million and got this guy signed along with Hamlin. I would argue with anyone that these 2 signings would have made our defense comparable to Chicago's. Also with a great defense, you always have a chance. Hamlin and Hood are not projects or stop gap players. Both are at the perfect age and would be around for quite a while. Now on to Hood:

Hood is a four-year veteran that was drafted by the Eagles and has played his whole career in Philadelphia. He was the nickel corner during the 2006 season, although he did start two games due to injuries. Hood has good cover skills with size, speed and quickness going for him. He did not have any interceptions this past season, but it wasn't for lack of ability to stick with receivers. He can extend the cushion with quick feet in his pedal and opens his hips easily and quickly to turn and run deep with receivers. He is fluid in transition and does not have much in the way of wasted movements. Hood can plant and drive on the ball quickly when in man coverage and closes on the ball with a decent burst. While he is not timid in run support he does not pack a big wallop when tackling ball carriers. He shows good wrap up ability and gets the opponent down, he just does not drive them back. Hood has returned kickoffs in the past and has some special teams value. While he appears to fit the nickel corner position very well, he is also the kind of athlete who can start for a team in case of injury and not hurt them.

HarveyWallbangers
03-13-2007, 01:39 PM
You do realize those Scouts, Inc. player bios are from before the 2006 season, right? They don't update them until later in the offseason. They also can be incredibly wrong. They have Aaron Kampman as the 27th best DE--behind the likes of KGB, Raheem Brock, and Courtney Brown.

Bub
03-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Only a 1 year deal. Does anyone know the terms of the deal?

red
03-13-2007, 01:48 PM
a miracle, a miracle

TT is the mesiah

GBRulz
03-13-2007, 01:49 PM

1 year $50,000 . The signing bonus is a $50 Packer Pro Shop gift card

ok ok ok, I should be happy we finally signed someone, right? Sarcasm gets the best of me, can't help myself!!

woodbuck27
03-13-2007, 02:02 PM

1 year $50,000 . The signing bonus is a $50 Packer Pro Shop gift card

ok ok ok, I should be happy we finally signed someone, right? Sarcasm gets the best of me, can't help myself!!

Sorry Packer fans.

I'm struggling to be impressed.

HarveyWallbangers
03-13-2007, 02:06 PM
I like the signing. It fills a need we had going into the draft. Now, we aren't quite as desperate to draft a corner high. Blackmon and Walker might be the answer to our CB depth. Walker is a good athlete, he's young (25), and he has extensive experience. He's no world beater (but we wouldn't have been guaranteed to get one in the draft either), but we weren't going to get a solid starting corner to come in and play nickel. Hood would have been a nice option, but it looks as though he went to Arizona with the realistic chance of starting, so Green Bay wouldn't have been that attractive to him.

This is just one of about 3 needs we need to fill before the draft to avoid drafting for need.

pacfan
03-13-2007, 02:17 PM
Holy shit you guys are relentless.... :shock:

Kinda like bringing the new "love interest" to meet the family :)

Packnut
03-13-2007, 02:32 PM
You do realize those Scouts, Inc. player bios are from before the 2006 season, right? They don't update them until later in the offseason. They also can be incredibly wrong. They have Aaron Kampman as the 27th best DE--behind the likes of KGB, Raheem Brock, and Courtney Brown.

Nope- this list is from the 2007 FA list that requires ESPN Insider membership. They were done AFTER the 2006 season. I believe you are talking about the normal ESPN bios pages which are indeed outdated. C'mon give me some credit! These ratings are from the Scout's Inc insider page and are current. You can read the one I posted on Hood and see it does include the 2006 season.

woodbuck27
03-13-2007, 02:52 PM
I like the signing. It fills a need we had going into the draft. Now, we aren't quite as desperate to draft a corner high. Blackmon and Walker might be the answer to our CB depth. Walker is a good athlete, he's young (25), and he has extensive experience. He's no world beater (but we wouldn't have been guaranteed to get one in the draft either), but we weren't going to get a solid starting corner to come in and play nickel. Hood would have been a nice option, but it looks as though he went to Arizona with the realistic chance of starting, so Green Bay wouldn't have been that attractive to him.

This is just one of about 3 needs we need to fill before the draft to avoid drafting for need.

Noted. :)

CaliforniaCheez
03-13-2007, 02:54 PM
I guy like me prefers Bush.

HarveyWallbangers
03-13-2007, 03:13 PM
Nope- this list is from the 2007 FA list that requires ESPN Insider membership. They were done AFTER the 2006 season. I believe you are talking about the normal ESPN bios pages which are indeed outdated.

I have the same membership. Didn't realize they had two different scouting reports on the same site. The ESPN ones are always outdated until later in the offseason.

I get frustrated with Thompson's approach at times, but you take it to another level. You whine about Thompson not signing Roderick Hood and Kelly Washington, but then badmouth him for signing Frank Walker.

Hood got a 62 on these reports, Washington got a 54, and Walker got an 52 (got a 59 last year). None were rated more than average. In retrospect, Hood probably wasn't a candidate here because he wanted a chance to start. I'm assuming he got a much bigger deal than Walker. Let's see what Walker gets. Personally, I think Hood is better, but if it's Hood and much more money vs. Walker, I'd take Walker. I'd like to save some of our money for extending Barnett or getting Moss--not for a nickelback. Did you really want to see us give Kelly Washington a deal for 5y/$22M--knowing that he might be our 4th WR if we get Moss? Our third WR at best.

The New England Patriots have signed another free-agent wide receiver, this time former Cincinnati Bengal Kelley Washington. The Patriots gave Washington a five-year deal worth up to $22 million, including a $300,000 signing bonus.

I think Thompson can be criticized for some of his FA work, but I think it's silly to take it to the level you do. He did have a damn good draft last year, and in the end he hit on a couple of FAs last year too--which is better than a lot of teams.

woodbuck27
03-13-2007, 03:35 PM
Nope- this list is from the 2007 FA list that requires ESPN Insider membership. They were done AFTER the 2006 season. I believe you are talking about the normal ESPN bios pages which are indeed outdated.

I have the same membership. Didn't realize they had two different scouting reports on the same site. The ESPN ones are always outdated until later in the offseason.

I get frustrated with Thompson's approach at times, but you take it to another level. You whine about Thompson not signing Roderick Hood and Kelly Washington, but then badmouth him for signing Frank Walker.

Hood got a 62 on these reports, Washington got a 54, and Walker got an 52 (got a 59 last year). None were rated more than average. In retrospect, Hood probably wasn't a candidate here because he wanted a chance to start. I'm assuming he got a much bigger deal than Walker. Let's see what Walker gets. Personally, I think Hood is better, but if it's Hood and much more money vs. Walker, I'd take Walker. I'd like to save some of our money for extending Barnett or getting Moss--not for a nickelback. Did you really want to see us give Kelly Washington a deal for 5y/$22M--knowing that he might be our 4th WR if we get Moss? Our third WR at best.

The New England Patriots have signed another free-agent wide receiver, this time former Cincinnati Bengal Kelley Washington. The Patriots gave Washington a five-year deal worth up to $22 million, including a $300,000 signing bonus.

I think Thompson can be criticized for some of his FA work, but I think it's silly to take it to the level you do. He did have a damn good draft last year, and in the end he hit on a couple of FAs last year too--which is better than a lot of teams.

Overall it's difficult to hammer on Ted Thompson for what he gave to us in 2006.

OS PA
03-13-2007, 03:39 PM
Link?

Did anybody post a link? I haven't been able to find ANY NEWS on this "signing".

HarveyWallbangers
03-13-2007, 03:41 PM
It was on rotoworld.com earlier. I think it's starting to hit other outlets:

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070313/PKR01/70313119/1989

OS PA
03-13-2007, 03:45 PM
I really like this signing, and no, I don't care if it's our first signing. Anything to build depth and create competition is perfectly fine with me. Walker has that dreaded word of potential and with right coaching, not from Shitty Schotty, he could turn out to be a very solid #2 CB. Does anybody know of his history with penalties? I saw that alot of you were comparing him to Carrol, but everything i've read says that he plays strong and could turn out to be good in man-on. Carrol was way too small to man up on any reciever in this league. I, for one, am excited to see what Walker has to offer.

Plus, look at this off-field involvement. Packer-People!

Off The Field: An extremely active participant in all community events, Frank has touched the lives of many people during his NFL career…He hosts an annual football camp, free of charge, for children in his hometown of Tuskegee, Ala…In 2005, Frank attended the Giants 2005 Draft Day Party, arranged a trip for all Giants Academy students to see UniverSoul Circus in Newark, N.J…Attended fundraiser for Institute for Student Achievement…Visited donors at the Giants Blood Drive…Attended the Tom Coughlin Jay Fund’s “Pigskin Ball” fundraiser…Served as guest speaker at ADP’s United Way campaign kickoff…Constructed homes for Katrina Relief with Habitat for Humanity at Rockefeller Plaza…Attended the Giants’ Ronald McDonald House fundraiser dinner… Regularly serves as a professor at the Giants Football 101 and 201 programs for women...Participated in the Giants Player Development cooking competition at ESPN Zone...Also participated in the Giants Player Development's Continuing Education Program...Spoke about importance of community involvement for the Rotary Club of Ridgewood…Served as a guest speaker at Pitney Bowes’ United Way Campaign Kickoff…Donated 35,000 pounds of chicken to local community organizations during the holidays with Lift Up America…Played Santa at Giants Jingle Jam, handing out new coats, backpacks, and toys to 750 New Jersey foster kids…Member of the MDA’s 2006 Muscle Team…Made a financial contribution to Habitat for Humanity International’s Katrina Relief Fund.

*Thanks for the links*

woodbuck27
03-13-2007, 03:48 PM
It was on rotoworld.com earlier. I think it's starting to hit other outlets:

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070313/PKR01/70313119/1989

Packers sign ex-Giants CB Walker to 1-year deal

Free-agent cornerback Frank Walker has agreed to a contract with the Green Bay Packers, an NFL source confirmed today.

Harold Lewis, who represents Walker, said the deal was for one year and was completed early this morning.

A former sixth-round draft pick from Tuskegee, he spent four seasons with the New York Giants, making five starts. He visited the Packers on Sunday and Monday and was to visit Seattle today. He previously met with New Orleans.

The Packers view the 5-foot-10, 197-pound Walker, 25, as a potential No. 3 cornerback who could play in the nickel and/or dime defensive packages and be a backup to starters Al Harris and Charles Woodson.

Walker is the first player to sign with the Packers during this year’s free-agent period, which began March 2.

— Rob Demovsky, rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

HarveyWallbangers
03-13-2007, 03:49 PM
Packers, CB Walker agree on one-year deal

Green Bay - Cornerback Frank Walker, who played the last four seasons with the New York Giants, this afternoon agreed to a one-year contract worth slightly in excess of $1 million to join the Green Bay Packers.

Walker, 5 feet 10 inches and 196 pounds, is the first unrestricted free agent to cast his lot with the Packers since the start of the signing period March 2.

On Monday, the 25-year-old Walker worked out for the Packers in the Hutson Center and ran 40 yards in 4.40 and 4.43 seconds. He also had a 33 1 /2-inch vertical jump and a 10-0 broad jump.

On Monday night, the Packers commenced negotiations with his agent until agreement was reached Tuesday. He canceled his visit to Seattle and, in the end, picked the Packers over the New Orleans Saints.

Walker played just 8% of the defensive snaps for the Giants in 2006, playing in 12 games. In four seasons, he started 5 of 42 games and intercepted five passes.

In Green Bay, Walker is expected to compete for the No. 3 job behind Al Harris and Charles Woodson. The Packers also have interest in Cincinnati's Tory James, who visited with them last week.

Walker was the Giants' sixth-round draft choice out of Tuskegee in 2003.

HarveyWallbangers
03-13-2007, 03:50 PM
Frank Walker signed a one-year contract with the Green Bay Packers this morning, PackerReport.com has learned. Walker, a backup cornerback with the New York Giants the past four seasons, is the Packers’ first signing in free agency.

The amount of the contract was not disclosed, but it includes incentives and a signing bonus, according to Walker's agent Harold Lewis.

“It’s a great one-year deal for him to do what he has to do, and we believe it’s a great place for him to do it," Lewis said. "We believe that they will sign him long-term at some point this year.”

Walker, who turns 26 on Aug. 6, started one game in 2006 and five games overall with the Giants since he was selected with the second of two sixth round picks by the Giants in the 2003 NFL draft out of Tuskegee (Ala.). Last year, he found himself buried on the depth chart behind starters Sam Madison and R.W. McQuarters, and fighting for playing time in passing defenses against Corey Webster (a second round draft pick by the Giants in 2005) and rookie free agent Kevin Dockery.

Walker (5-foot-10, 197) played in 10 games for the Giants last season and finished with nine tackles, no interceptions and no sacks. In four seasons in New York, he had 53 tackles, five interceptions, and nine passes defensed.

Walker met with the New Orleans Saints over the weekend, and worked out for the Packers on Monday. Both sides agreed to the deal while Walker was literally on the plane in Green Bay for Seattle to meet with the Seahawks this morning.

"With seven minutes to takeoff time, we agreed to a contract," Lewis explained. "They had to open up the doors and try to get his luggage, which they couldn’t get, it was shipped off to Seattle. Security came because they didn’t want him to get off the plane and leave luggage on. It was just a frickin’ mess.”

Walker presumably will be playing for the No. 3 or No. 4 positions behind starters Al Harris and Charles Woodson. Current Packers backup cornerbacks include Patrick Dendy, who finished the 2006 season as the team's nickel back; Jarrett Bush, who played some as a dime back; and Will Blackmon, who was selected in the fourth round of the NFL draft last season, but missed most of the year with injuries.

The Packers are also expected to select a cornerback in the upcoming NFL draft.

woodbuck27
03-13-2007, 03:53 PM
Reader Comment Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:35 pm

They obviously were impressed with the way he has carried himself off the field. I know we need on the field help, but it is good to see a high character guy vs. the drama we saw with Carroll and Thomas.

Off The Field:

An extremely active participant in all community events, Frank has touched the lives of many people during his NFL career…

He hosts an annual football camp, free of charge, for children in his hometown of Tuskegee, Ala…

In 2005, Frank attended the Giants 2005 Draft Day Party, arranged a trip for all Giants Academy students to see UniverSoul Circus in Newark, N.J…

Attended fundraiser for Institute for Student Achievement…Visited donors at the Giants Blood Drive…

Attended the Tom Coughlin Jay Fund’s “Pigskin Ball” fundraiser…

Served as guest speaker at ADP’s United Way campaign kickoff…Constructed homes for Katrina Relief with Habitat for Humanity at Rockefeller Plaza…

Attended the Giants’ Ronald McDonald House fundraiser dinner…

Regularly serves as a professor at the Giants Football 101 and 201 programs for women...

Participated in the Giants Player Development cooking competition at ESPN Zone...

Also participated in the Giants Player Development's Continuing Education Program...

Spoke about importance of community involvement for the Rotary Club of Ridgewood…

Served as a guest speaker at Pitney Bowes’ United Way Campaign Kickoff…

Donated 35,000 pounds of chicken to local community organizations during the holidays with Lift Up America…

Played Santa at Giants Jingle Jam, handing out new coats, backpacks, and toys to 750 New Jersey foster kids…

Member of the MDA’s 2006 Muscle Team…Made a financial contribution to Habitat for Humanity International’s Katrina Relief Fund.

http://www.giants.com/team/player.asp?player_id=62

Anybody that ever was Santa Claus is my kinda guy. :)

hawaii50
03-13-2007, 04:06 PM
i don't want to be debbie downer here, but how can everyone expect this guy to fill in as our nickel? he hasn't quite proven much in the nfl yet. he's started 5 games in his career? i know he sounds like he has the potential to improve, but putting our nickel hopes in this guy still worries me. plus, it's not like the giants have had world-beaters in their secondary the past couple years. that has actually been their problem on defense.

all that said, i am thankful that ted finally did something. it's better than nothing i guess.

motife
03-13-2007, 04:21 PM
scout.com :

The news of Walker’s signing will never overshadow the talk of Moss, but it will create competition for better depth behind starters Al Harris and Charles Woodson this off-season.

The feeling from this perch near Lambeau Field is that the Packers are concerned about Will Blackmon, the second of two fourth-round selections by Green Bay last season in the NFL draft. Blackmon was slowed by a broken bone in his foot, which occurred last May, and missed all of training camp. He aggravated the injury in an attempt to come back in early September, which set him back. When he did return to action, Blackmon injured his ribs midway through the season and was placed on season-ending injured reserve.

Walker was selected by the Giants in the sixth round of the 2003 NFL draft. He has always been a backup in New York, and fell into coach Tom Coughlin’s dog house last season for apparently being overagressive. For most of the season, he was buried on the Giants’ depth chart behind starters Sam Madison and R.W. McQuarters. Now Walker is hoping to revive his career in Green Bay.

“Frank is a great guy. He’s got a great personality,” said Walker’s agent, Harold Lewis. “He’s very aggressive, and I guess they (the Giants) like more of a laid-back kind of atmosphere from a corner. Frank, as you will find out, is the furthest thing from passive.”

Said Ken Palmer of The Giants Insider of Walker, “He's got plenty of talent, but isn't one to necessarily play within the scheme. Takes too many chances, although he had a great camp last summer to surprisingly make the team ... great locker room guy that his teammates love.

“He does have good speed and hands ... just still too raw for someone that's been around this long.”

Walker played in 10 games for the Giants last season and finished with nine tackles, no interceptions and no sacks. He has five career interceptions and 53 total tackles.

Walker met with New Orleans over the weekend, then had a “tremendous workout” with the Packers on Monday, according to Lewis. Both sides negotiated into the wee hours of today. Walker was literally on a plane headed to Seattle to meet with the Seahawks when the Packers phoned with an offer that the cornerback couldn’t refuse.

Walker’s one-year deal includes a signing bonus, but it also has built-in incentives and other bonuses, Lewis said.

The Packers, a reported $21.8 million under the salary cap, have little to lose. Walker has a chance to prove to Green Bay that he never got a decent opportunity in New York. And the Packers are not on the hook long-term if Walker doesn’t live up to expectations. If he does, all the better for the Packers’ secondary.

“When you talk about a corner being aggressive on a ‘man’ and on a ‘bump,’ you’re not going to find anybody better,” Lewis said. “When you talk about a guy who will come up and just hit you like a safety, we’ve got enough fines to prove that one. He has no problem hitting somebody, that’s for sure.”

It’s possible that a change of scenery will do Walker good. If so, the Packers will have better depth in their secondary from a player who is eager to make the most of his opportunity.

woodbuck27
03-13-2007, 04:27 PM
'' Walker was literally on a plane headed to Seattle to meet with the Seahawks when the Packers phoned with an offer that the cornerback couldn’t refuse.

Walker’s one-year deal includes a signing bonus, but it also has built-in incentives and other bonuses, Lewis said.

The Packers, a reported $21.8 million under the salary cap, have little to lose. '' motife

Can we try to determine what this CB actually signed for?

Thanks. :)

Packnut
03-13-2007, 04:37 PM

Another lame attempt to distort a contract. Read the damn thing and then we'll talk. It COULD be worth up to 22 mill NOT IS! 2nd I am not complaining about signing Walker as ANYTHING is an upgrade over Dendy. As far as the Moss thing goes, last time I checked he's still a Raider is'nt he? There is no clear proof he will be a Packer. I made the comments about Washington as our #3 as it stands RIGHT NOW. If you have a magic ball that tells the future then excuse the hell out of me.

As far as the draft last year, again it's looking into the future. You cannot really evaluate a draft until at least 2-3 yrs after it, cause the rest of us don't have your future telling ability.

Yes I whine and bitch about Thompson because he's wasting Favre's last gasp and it pisses me off. There were several moves that he COULD have made to make this a better team. May-be your content with the slow methodical approach but the good GM's are the ones who can turn it around quickly. Only an idiot accepts this has to be a 4-5 year re-building project.

Some people have their head stuck so far up Thompson's ass that they are blinded to reality. Thompson mis-calculated the feeding frenzy and I think most of us here agree with that. Read his statements before the FA period started. He thought several mid-tier guys would be left. He was wrong and it cost us. This is his 3rd year and we still have SEVERAL HOLES on this team. I find that un-acceptable. Sorry, but I have no intention of becoming a blind little follower who accepts every Ted Thompson word as gospel.

Joemailman
03-13-2007, 04:46 PM

Man, I could break my Walker jerseys out of mothballs! :oops:

So that explains your obsessive anger over TT not signing Javon! :P

mmmdk
03-13-2007, 04:51 PM

Yeah, Harris drives a red humvee. If Walker is half as good as Al Harris then it's a bargain, a big time coup. But what are the odds? You can always dig up a remote chance of finding a diamond in the rough; it happens but if you want to win championships it's hard work. The hard work is to not blowing your drafts, recognizing your own talent then sign them longterm and bringing in the right free agents. You need some luck too and Walker would be a lucky punch signing if he infact turns out to be a player.

TT has got to ask himself: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk? :mrgreen:

woodbuck27
03-13-2007, 04:54 PM
Alot that really piss's me off, has to do with what appears to me as obvious inactivity on behalf of Ted Thompson to gain weapons on 'O' to combine with Brett Favre's talent.

That talent will soon disappear.

Thus early in my history with all of you at JSO. I posted in respect to what appeared to me, to be an obvious effort on behalf of TT to force Brett Favre into retirement.

Death of Brett Favre . . . by ignoring Favre's need of talented weapons.

Exit Ahman Green and doesn't the same ole same ole still apply?

This constant trend to ignore acquisition of talented playmakers on 'O' is obvious and extremely frustrating to me.

Thus sometimes I get grumpy. :)

Joemailman
03-13-2007, 05:03 PM

Not to spoil the party or anything...but Al Harris took 4 years to be a starter because because Philly had 2 Pro Bowl CB's playing ahead of him. Not the case with the Giants. Nonetheless, Walker is likely an upgrade over Dendy, and at least provides depth at a position where the Packers desperately need it.

falco
03-13-2007, 05:09 PM
walker could turn out to be a good signing...or he could be cut during preseason, depending on how everything goes.

i'm just glad TT finally caved under the fan's pressure :roll:

Bretsky
03-13-2007, 05:34 PM

I hope you are kidding here; other DB's coming off the board are better than this guy. At least we have another guy to compete with Dendy.

HEY GUYS, THE TURTLE IS OUT OF THE SHELL :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Bretsky
03-13-2007, 05:39 PM
Does this guy count toward getting rid of my sig ??

MJZiggy
03-13-2007, 05:48 PM
Yes, he does.

esoxx
03-13-2007, 06:22 PM
JAG

mmmdk
03-13-2007, 06:28 PM

No - keep it on! 8)

MJZiggy
03-13-2007, 07:53 PM
Packers | Walker contract update
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 15:56:39 -0800

Updating a previous item, Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports Green Bay Packers CB Frank Walker's one-year contract with the team is worth $1.24 million.

Bretsky
03-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Packers | Walker contract update
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 15:56:39 -0800

Updating a previous item, Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports Green Bay Packers CB Frank Walker's one-year contract with the team is worth $1.24 million.

Outfrickin standing; equally as excited about Walker as I was about our first signing of Manuel last year.

One down. The turtle is out going full speed

On a more sour note all those safety predictors who said TT would make his first free agent signing before 3/20 win as well.

retailguy
03-13-2007, 08:59 PM

No - keep it on! 8)

U can get rid of the sig, but the avatar stays.... :twisted:

MJZiggy
03-13-2007, 09:00 PM
To be honest, I think that avatar is kinda cute...

HarveyWallbangers
03-13-2007, 11:46 PM
To me, Frank Walker is the type of low cost FA move you make in FA. They may miss on him, but he's a talented guy who is still young (25) and who I remember playing decently when called upon in New York as a rookie. He still has room for improvement. There's still some upside there. Sounds like Kenderick Allen is going to return if he's selling him on Green Bay. Kind of funny that Walker doesn't drink alcohol. Sounds like a guy that will fit in Green Bay--as he's all about football.

Team signs hard-hitting Walker to one-year deal
By BOB McGINN

Green Bay - Frank Walker, a hard-hitting, somewhat temperamental cornerback whose playing time with the New York Giants didn't match his ability, will try to reverse that pattern as the Green Bay Packers' first addition in unrestricted free agency.

Walker, 25, agreed to a one-year, $1.24 million deal that included a $750,000 base salary, $150,000 signing bonus, $100,000 workout bonus and $240,000 roster bonus. He will make $15,000 of the roster bonus for each game he's on the 45-man roster.

"He saw a good opportunity to get on the field, which was one of his major goals in this," co-agent Frank Murtha said. "To get back and compete for at least a nickel and dime job."

The agreement was reached at 7:14 a.m. Tuesday while Walker was in Atlanta already seated on a plane bound for Seattle and a visit with the Seahawks.

His other agent, Harold Lewis, called Walker on his cell phone frantically informing him that he had just reached agreement with negotiator Andrew Brandt and that general manager Ted Thompson had signed off on it.

"They let him off but his bags are in Seattle," Lewis said. "The contract was easy. Getting him off the plane was hard. Frank was saying to them, 'You don't understand, I've got to get off this plane. Now.' It was hysterical."

Lewis credited both Packers scout Alonzo Highsmith, who along with the late Mark Hatley championed his cause in college, and Packers nose tackle Kenderick Allen, a former teammate in New York, for persuading Walker to pick Green Bay. Highsmith, according to Lewis, was on the phone with Walker until 2 a.m. Tuesday.

"Highsmith worked Frank hard," Lewis said. "He built up a really good relationship with Frank in college. He should get a couple pats on the back.

"Here's the thing. Frank Walker does not drink alcohol. He's a straight-arrow guy. I said, 'Hey, Frank, it's perfect for you up there. There's nothing for you to do. Just play football.' "

The Packers decided they had to have Walker after an impressive workout Monday in the Hutson Center when he ran 40 yards in the low 4.4-second range. Walker, 5 feet 11 inches and 196 pounds, also had an offer from New Orleans.

Drafted by the Giants in the sixth round out of Tuskegee in 2003, Walker started the last seven games at right cornerback as a rookie. He played 45.9% of the downs and intercepted two passes, returning one for a 56-yard touchdown.

The next year, coach Tom Coughlin replaced Jim Fassel and Walker's role gradually diminished. After playing 18.8% in 2004, his playing time slipped to 2% in '05 and 8.1% in '06.

Although the Giants' cornerback situation was shaky last season, Walker languished behind Sam Madison, Corey Webster, R.W. McQuarters and Kevin Dockery.

Walker will compete with Patrick Dendy, Will Blackmon, Jarrett Bush and others for the No. 3 job behind Al Harris and Charles Woodson.

Patler
03-14-2007, 12:06 AM
Didn't his stats hit anyone else the way they did me?
He didn't play much, only 8% of the snaps in 2006.
Who knows how much before that.
4 starts in his four years.

But he has 5 career interceptions.
Thats a lot for someone who doesn't play much.

He must be aggressive going for the ball, and he must have good hands.

SD GB fan
03-14-2007, 12:11 AM

i was thinking the same. he has a nice amount of INT and pass defended for someone who hasnt played a lot. any one know anything about him or articles on him? he sounds like hes quite an athlete so we will hafta see if he can become a player or just carroll 2.0. im just hope that hes someone drafted from a small school and hasnt had a chance to prove himself yet.

BF4MVP
03-14-2007, 12:13 AM
I like this signing..He is an upgrade over anything we have at backup cornerback (Pending a healthy Blackmon).

BF4MVP
03-14-2007, 12:16 AM

Yes, that is a lot of interceptions for for someone who hardly plays. He did start seven games his rookie year, though, and had two picks that year..

BF4MVP
03-14-2007, 12:17 AM
Every single article I've read about Frank Walker from the article in the Press Gazette this morning about the visit, to the article about the signing, says that he is 25 years old..

He's not 25 years old..He's 26+, born August 6th, 1980.

GBRulz
03-14-2007, 12:18 AM
Kind of funny that Walker doesn't drink alcohol. [/quote]

He will be bored out of his mind in this town, then !! j/k...kinda :shock:

BF4MVP
03-14-2007, 12:25 AM
Kind of funny that Walker doesn't drink alcohol.

He will be bored out of his mind in this town, then !![/quote]
Pretty much. :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
03-14-2007, 01:17 AM
Every single article I've read about Frank Walker from the article in the Press Gazette this morning about the visit, to the article about the signing, says that he is 25 years old..

August 6th, 1981

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6543

Joemailman
03-14-2007, 01:24 AM

The knock against him is that he is overly aggressive. He was benched by Coughlin last year after a 4th down personal foul on a hit on Vince Young extended a drive. He started 7 games as a rookie under Jim Fassell, but played much less under Coughlin.

BF4MVP
03-14-2007, 01:28 AM

August 6th, 1981

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6543
I guess nfl.com is wrong then..My apologies :oops:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/396111

SD GB fan
03-14-2007, 01:37 AM
overagressive? thats no problem. brings a little passion with him. besides all he needs is a little coaching from the secondary coa..ohh...schittt

BF4MVP
03-14-2007, 01:49 AM
overagressive? thats no problem. brings a little passion with him. besides all he needs is a little coaching from the secondary coa..ohh...schittt
And to think Marty almost took that piece of shit off our hands..Why'd he have to get fired for it?! :(

CaliforniaCheez
03-14-2007, 07:32 AM
This sets up an interesting camp battle for roster spots.

Normally 9 DB make it. 4 safeties and 5 CB's.

Harris and Woodson will make it.

Blackmon, Dendy, Walker, and Bush will compete for 3 spots.
One odd man out(unless there is an injury).
Blackmon is the only one eligible for the practice squad and that is unlikely.

Doesn't leave much room for a draft pick unless it is a high one.

swede
03-14-2007, 07:33 AM
I remember thinking that Sherman was crazy to give up a 2nd round pick for Al Harris. He was just a guy who couldn't get on the field much in Philadelphia.

After a healthy dose of Kool-Aid I now predict that Walker is Al Harris II. This signing will work out well for nearly everyone.

Except Sister Mary's School of Nuns. They are ticked because, subsequent to this signing, all negotiations regarding Sister Larry, their star cornerback, have broken down completely and TT is no longer returning calls.

gureski
03-14-2007, 09:28 AM
what I'm trying to say and I don't see how it can be disputed is since there is little help available on offense, Thompson should have taken that 21 million and got this guy signed along with Hamlin. I would argue with anyone that these 2 signings would have made our defense comparable to Chicago's. Also with a great defense, you always have a chance. Hamlin and Hood are not projects or stop gap players. Both are at the perfect age and would be around for quite a while.

From what I can see, there isn't that much difference between Hood and Walker in the ratings. Hood is rated 3 points above the 'back up' rating which is where Walker is rated. It's clear that Hood is recognized as better but how much better is the question? I think it's closer then you're making it out to be. I think you're convinced that Hood is the guy but I think the rankings show only a moderate difference in Hood and Walker on paper. One seems to me, to be just as good as the other to me. I think they both have potential. That's the real issue. Is the signing of Walker offer just as much promise as the signing of Hood or another nickel type DB would've? I think so. One may be better then the other but it's not like the difference between a rookie and a pro-bowler.

Reading up on Walker, it seems he may offer that mean streak in the secondary that the Packers need. I think he's a good addition. I like the signing. I wish it were for more then 1 year but I understand Walker wanting to prove himself and earn a higher payday as opposed to settling on less money but more security now. The fact he's willing to work for his payday and has the confidence to accept a one year deal tells me he's hungry.

I do not think Hamlin is anywhere near what you're making him out to be. He's not that far removed from a bar beating that nearly ended his life. He has some risk attached to him, at least enough to take him off the list of 'Perfect' replacements at safety. He'd be a valid replacement at safety but he's nothing that would help make our "D" the Chicago Bears North. Our "D" is good but we have quite a ways to go to get to the level of the Bears.

gureski
03-14-2007, 09:32 AM
Something just occurred to me too about the Safety position. Last year there was alot of clamor that Woodson may be moved to Safety. I wonder if that's a possibility going into this season? I wonder if the team may get their hands on a CB in free agency or the draft or promote a guy from within that will move into the starter role and then push Woodson to safety?

Hypothetically speaking, let's say Walker actually plays well enough to start OR the Packers pick up a starter calibur CB. Moving Woodson to Safety solves that issue.

Not saying it's happening....just kind of re-realizing the potential of such a move and the ramifications on team needs. I hadn't heard us talking of this as a possibility since last year.

Joemailman
03-14-2007, 09:46 AM
I think a lot of the talk about moving Woodson to Safety was based on the assumption that Woodson had lost a step. I think Woodson proved last year that that was not the case. The Packers have a much better chance of finding a Safety better than Manuel than they do of finding a Cornerback better than Woodson.

SkinBasket
03-14-2007, 09:47 AM
This sets up an interesting camp battle for roster spots.

Normally 9 DB make it. 4 safeties and 5 CB's.

Harris and Woodson will make it.

Blackmon, Dendy, Walker, and Bush will compete for 3 spots.
One odd man out(unless there is an injury).
Blackmon is the only one eligible for the practice squad and that is unlikely.

Doesn't leave much room for a draft pick unless it is a high one.

It's not really that interesting, as Bush and Dendy are completely disposable players. Either or both could be replaced by URFA talent, not to mention mid to late round guys. Plus there's only so long you an carry someone like Blackmon before you have to move on.

Partial
03-14-2007, 09:49 AM
Speed is so overrated. Woodson is more quick than fast and he'll do fine so long as he stays injury free.

BooHoo
03-14-2007, 10:19 AM
"At this stage he needs to prove that he belongs in the NFL and quit relying on being a project."

He will be coached by someone that could be described the same.

Wow, funny comment! :lol:

BooHoo
03-14-2007, 10:28 AM
I remember thinking that Sherman was crazy to give up a 2nd round pick for Al Harris. He was just a guy who couldn't get on the field much in Philadelphia.

After a healthy dose of Kool-Aid I now predict that Walker is Al Harris II. This signing will work out well for nearly everyone.

Except Sister Mary's School of Nuns. They are ticked because, subsequent to this signing, all negotiations regarding Sister Larry, their star cornerback, have broken down completely and TT is no longer returning calls.

Yes, Harris was worth the 2nd round pick. You must be drinking a whole boat load of kool-aid. But I hope you are right. We need a couple of these sleepers to show up this year and make a huge impact. Pro-Bowl type year. :)

Patler
03-14-2007, 10:28 AM
Several articles alluded to the Packers' concern for Blackmon's recovery from his injuries. Generally, those kind of rumors don't surface unless something hasn't gone well. He wouldn't be the first cornerback to have lost his career to a foot injury.

While the group contains recognizable names, I'm not sure I would consider it highly competitive. Blackmon if he is healthy is probably the leading contender among the backups. We will probably wish we could combine the good points of Dendy with the good points of Walker to get one backup cornerback. Bush trails the pack.

BooHoo
03-14-2007, 10:32 AM
I am all for bringing in new blood at DB and safety. Via FA or draft.

HarveyWallbangers
03-14-2007, 10:33 AM
Several articles alluded to the Packers' concern for Blackmon's recovery from his injuries.

Do you have a link to these articles? I haven't read this. I know he didn't recover well last year, but nothing I read led me to believe it was a long-term injury.

Patler
03-14-2007, 11:07 AM
Several articles alluded to the Packers' concern for Blackmon's recovery from his injuries.

Do you have a link to these articles? I haven't read this. I know he didn't recover well last year, but nothing I read led me to believe it was a long-term injury.

I read it last night, something like - The Packers have lingering concerns over Will Blackmons recovery - It then went on to describe his foot injury and the complication when he first tried to return from it, before his rib injury. It surprised me when I read it, because I was under the impression the foot problem was over with.

I looked for it now and can't find it, so it might have been one of those comments that we have seen in the past, part of the original on-line version, edited out the next morning. Or...I was hullucinating. :D

Green Bud Packer
03-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Alot that really piss's me off, has to do with what appears to me as obvious inactivity on behalf of Ted Thompson to gain weapons on 'O' to combine with Brett Favre's talent.
Thus early in my history with all of you at JSO. I posted in respect to what appeared to me, to be an obvious effort on behalf of TT to force Brett Favre into retirement.
:) whatever you are smoking i suggest you stop.ted spent a high #2 on a wr last draft.brought in koren robinson, who if is reinstated will be a #2 or #3 wr.traded gado for morency, an upgrade in my world and he built an offensive line that will shine for years to come.

gureski
03-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Just tossing this out there but what if they try Walker at Safety? I mean, if he's a good hitter but lacks in refined coverage skills....that sounds like a safety to me.

HarveyWallbangers
03-14-2007, 04:05 PM
I think he's too small for a safety, and being a good hitter for a corner some times isn't saying much.

the_idle_threat
03-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Just tossing this out there but what if they try Walker at Safety? I mean, if he's a good hitter but lacks in refined coverage skills....that sounds like a safety to me.

You beat me to it. I was just gonna post this!

Kid sounds like a hitter ... maybe they'll try him at safety.

the_idle_threat
03-14-2007, 04:07 PM
I think he's too small for a safety, and being a good hitter for a corner some times isn't saying much.

This might be true, but isn't Bob Sanders "too small" to play safety? They might give him a few reps in TC. What could it hurt?

HarveyWallbangers
03-14-2007, 04:09 PM
Bob Sanders is a big hitter. Walker might be a good tackler for a corner, but that doesn't mean he's a good tackler for a safety.

the_idle_threat
03-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Neither you nor I know for sure about Walker. Just throwin' shit against the wall. We'll see in training camp...

HarveyWallbangers
03-14-2007, 04:30 PM
I remember watching Walker his first couple of years when he played some. I remember his interception return for TD and his interception against Minnesota. I don't remember watching him and thinking, man, what a great tackler. We'll see, but I think his tackling ability is probably getting overblown. I bet the Scouts, Inc. bio was similar for Ahmad Carroll. He stunk, but he did try to tackle and he wasn't bad for a corner.

Noodle
03-14-2007, 11:21 PM
Walker's a corner, not a safety. He is better up in a receiver's face at the line and is not, according to stuff I've read, all that great when has to pick up a guy in space. A little slow on the decisionmaking. That's not what you want in a safety.

This is a good signing. It won't take us to the SB, but it does begin to address the issues we have at corner.