PDA

View Full Version : Moss for Rodgers and a pick?

Brando19
03-14-2007, 10:26 AM
MOSS DEAL HINGING ON CONDITIONAL PICK

There's a hitch that has emerged in the ongoing negotiations between the Packers and the Raiders regarding the terms of a potential trade of receiver Randy Moss to Green Bay.

We're told that the Raiders will only take quarterback Aaron Rodgers if there's also a conditional draft pick based on Rodgers' performance in 2007.

In short, if Rodgers doesn't perform, the Packers have to give up more in 2008.

The Packers' concern is that, because the Raiders have been so bad of late on offense, it's a given that Rodgers won't play well in 2007. Moreover, the Packers are concerned that the Raiders will bench Rodgers at some point during the season in order to ensure that a higher pick will come their way from Green Bay in 2008.

To resolve this potential impasse, we're told that the Packers are considering offering a 2009 conditional pick based on Rodgers' play in 2007 and 2008.

As we see it, the conditional pick should also be tied to the performance of Moss. The more he does in 2007, the more the Raiders get in 2008.

Really, the trade is about Moss, not Rodgers. And if Moss plays at Lambeau Field like he has performed there while a member of the Vikings, the Packers should be happy to eventually give up a first-day pick in 2008.

FAVRE PUSHING HARD FOR MOSS

Multiple sources tell us that Packers quarterback Brett Favre is pushing hard for the team to make a trade for Raiders receiver Randy Moss.

As one source with knowledge of the situation told us on Tuesday, in Favre's mind the acquisition of Moss is a done deal.

We previously reported that the Packers offered quarterback Aaron Rodgers to the Raiders for Moss. We're now hearing that the Packers might have to throw in a contingent draft pick tied to Rodgers' success (or lack thereof) in Oakland. If the Raiders ultimately don't want Moss, it likely take a second-round draft pick, or more, to get it done.

The fact that receiver Wes Welker generated a two and a seven from the Patriots suggests that the Raiders might try to hold out for at least a first-round pick. They sent a first-round pick (No. 7 overall), a seventh-round pick, and linebacker Napoleon Harris to Minnesota in March 2005 in order to land Moss, who largely has been a disappointment in two seasons with the Raiders.

On Tuesday, the team finally acknowledged that it is considering making a deal for Moss, despite several weeks of denials from G.M. Ted Thompson. Along the way, Thompson took a slap at our report that the Packers and Raiders were discussing a deal.

HarveyWallbangers
03-14-2007, 10:35 AM
What's the source on this? Arrigo? (Who, by the way, said yesterday that a Moss deal could be completed by the end of the day.)
:D

Everything I've read said the Packers wouldn't include Rodgers, and the Raiders don't want him because they still have their eyes set on JaMarcus Russell.

Brando19
03-14-2007, 10:36 AM
What's the source on this? Arrigo? (Who, by the way, said yesterday that a Moss deal could be completed by the end of the day.)
:D

Everything I've read said the Packers wouldn't include Rodgers, and the Raiders don't want him because they still have their eyes set on JaMarcus Russell.

Profootballtalk.com

Packnut
03-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Yep, this would seem to be a done deal, just a matter of working out the particulars. Still, it's hard to believe Teddy biting the bullet and pawning off his first pick. Would'nt that be akin to admitting to a mistake in drafting Rogers?

This trade would sure vindicate those of us who criticized this pick and never believed Rodgers was more than avg............

The_Dude
03-14-2007, 10:38 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

HarveyWallbangers
03-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Yep, this would seem to be a done deal, just a matter of working out the particulars. Still, it's hard to believe Teddy biting the bullet and pawning off his first pick. Would'nt that be akin to admitting to a mistake in drafting Rogers?

This trade would sure vindicate those of us who criticized this pick and never believed Rodgers was more than avg............

Blah, blah, blah.

I didn't want Rodgers either, but it's hard to fault a GM trying to get their QB of the future when their QB talks retirement every offseason. Rodgers would hardly be the first 1st round pick who didn't make it. It's not even a guarantee that Rodgers won't be good. I suppose you blame Thompson for drafting Terrence Murphy also.

Packnut
03-14-2007, 10:57 AM

Blah, blah, blah.

I didn't want Rodgers either, but it's hard to fault a GM trying to get their QB of the future when their QB talks retirement every offseason. Rodgers would hardly be the first 1st round pick who didn't make it. It's not even a guarantee that Rodgers won't be good. I suppose you blame Thompson for drafting Terrence Murphy also.

I've never criticized the Murphy pick here or on JSO so that's a big stretch-even for you. As far as you being ok with blowing a 1st rd pick, well that makes my point better than I ever could. I'll be more than happy to re-visit the Rodgers topic IF this trade goes through. Otherwise it's just 2 people having a difference of opinion on the value of Mr Rodgers which is a waste of space.......

red
03-14-2007, 11:07 AM
pft has failed to figure out that TT has said rodgers will not be delt.

didn't he just say that yesterday?

they're grasping at straws with this one, trying to make their old story into something again

BF4MVP
03-14-2007, 11:10 AM
That's a bunch of crap..I've read multiple places that Rodgers is not available...

Brando19
03-14-2007, 11:57 AM
That's a bunch of crap..I've read multiple places that Rodgers is not available...

Not saying I believe it, but do you always believe everything you read? Especially if it has to do with things GM's say?

wist43
03-14-2007, 12:02 PM
TT may be saying that publicly, but I've got to believe that Rodgers would be available for a bag of rocks... he's got bust written all over him.

DannoMac21
03-14-2007, 12:50 PM
TT may be saying that publicly, but I've got to believe that Rodgers would be available for a bag of rocks... he's got bust written all over him.

I don't know if you can say he'd be a bust already, but he sure as hell has not shown me anything during the preseason/season. You knew Hasselbeck/Brooks had it in them because they showed glimpses during preseason, while Rodgers has been downright bad.

I would be all for this deal though. Get him out of here and draft Kolb/Zabransky/Stanton/Smith.