PDA

View Full Version : State of the Packers

Patler
03-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Sorry if this is a bit late. I intended to post this several days ago and didn't have time. However:

I was listening to WTMJ several days ago. It was an early morning broadcast. Wayne Larivee was talking about his recent discussions with McCarthy, Thompson and many others during Fan Fest. He said that what impressed him was the following:

1. There really is a strong belief that Brett Favre's replacement is already on the roster. He said they are very sincere in their confidence in Aaron Rodgers, both his physical tools and the intangibles.

2. There is a strong, quiet confidence in the position of the team. All believe that a strong nucleus exists, and with another good draft this year they will be positioned to be a legitimate playoff contenders within a very short time and for a very long time. He said the attitude is much more positive than last year.

I have never found Larivee to be a"homer" when editorializing about the Packers during sports broadcasts that are not part of a team broadcast. He normally is quite opinionated, and can be quite critical at times. It has intrigued me listening to his comments several days after a game about a play that he was not particularly critical of during the broadcast. Several days after the fact he is not hesitant to lay into a player for lack of effort or the like. Clearly he understands on Sundays he works for the Packers, whereas other times he is being paid by others for his actual analysis and opinions.

He surprised me with his upbeat analysis.

Spaulding
03-14-2007, 12:59 PM
You mean the same Larivee that gets excited on game day when even it's the Packers opponent with a big play :)

I've always gone back and forth as to whether he should show a little less excitement when it's the other team making a big play.

Very interesting to hear him sound upbeat.

wist43
03-14-2007, 01:39 PM
It's all spin at this point... the Packers seem to be working overtime to convince everybody they're headed in the right direction.

And while I agree that last years draft improved the roster, I can't even begin to fathom that Rodgers is the answer at QB.

Too much cheerleading for Rodgers coming out of 1265... when in reality, he's shown absolutely nothing.

swede
03-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Too much cheerleading for Rodgers coming out of 1265... when in reality, he's shown absolutely nothing.

He has shown something, Wist. He has shown the inability to avoid snapping an ankle after finally being called in to play a series.

MJZiggy
03-14-2007, 02:06 PM
Yeah, he snapped his foot instead.

Patler
03-14-2007, 02:09 PM

No, in reality, we haven't seen what he has to show. His opportunities have been so limited and in such atypical situations that we have absolutely nothing upon which to judge him.

However, the coaches see him at QB school, practices, etc. I have been surprised not by their lack of criticism, but by their apparent lack of concern or hesitation in discussing his future. Yes, it still needs to be proven on the field, but they seem more than willing to give him the opportunity.

Fritz
03-14-2007, 02:21 PM
I suppose it cpuld be spin, Wist, but from my vantage point in Detroit, I can tell you that the Lions' organization could try to spin all it wants to, but everybody knows what smell is emerging from
Allen Park... It's abundantly clear that the Detroit organization is once again grasping for straws (this time it's putting all their eggs in "Marinelli men" - guys that are borderline starters but have a marine mentality, usually guys that have played for Marinelli - Dewayne White - or have played for Mike martz - Shaun McDonough, Travis Fisher, Mike Furrey). There's no plan, no sense of a plan, no inkling that there's any thinking beyond what's happening that day.

And there's no way to spin that. You can't hide that kind of smell. So my sense is that if the Packer organization were truly in the disarray you seem to think it is, there'd be a stronger sense of that leaking out of 1265.

So, in sum I think that if things were bad, as you suggest, it would be fairly clear. I tend to think maybe the Packers do feel pretty good about where they are headed. They could be wrong, but my sense is that there's a certain confidence about this team's direction.