PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to buy a title in today's NFL

mraynrand
04-26-2006, 03:21 PM
Since free agency started, I maintain that one, and just one team bought a title via free agency. The Packers came close with picking up Reggie White, but no one compares to 1994 San Francisco 49ers. The facts:

The 1994 49ers added at least seven free agents. Now, there was some great talent on that roster from 1993, in particular Steve Young and Jerry Rice (Wesley Walls departed before '94). Stubblefied and Young were second year/rooks, respectively. Otherwise the team was somewhat pedestrian with aging or recently departed pro bowl talent all over the roster. Guys like Taylor, Merton Hanks, and Brent Jones come to mind. Was Ricky Watters a special talent? I think not.

In 1994, The key purchase was Deion Sanders. He changed the complexion of the defense and special teams. According to Cliff Cristl's 'a few great talented players make the difference' theory (which I agree with), Sanders was a huge addition. He was subsequently added to Dallas in 1995 and helped them over the Superbowl hump (to the Packers' chagrin). In 1994 They also bought and added solid starters Ken Norton from the Cowboys and also Gary Plummer (LB) , Richard Dent and Charles Mann (DEs - both just about out of gas), and even dragged Tim Harris away from his restaurant to play a few downs. Of course they had already pilfered Charles Haley from Dallas in 92 (he returned to Dallas in '95) LBs Mitchell and Rickey Jackson (from N.O.) were also added in '94. Bart Oates and Chris Dalman were brought in for the O-line.

That's a lot of players brought in specifically to beat the Cowboys and pretty much to win one more time with aging great talent. I think that without the additions, with just Young and Rice as their special talented players, the 49ers would have never made the Superbowl. In my opinion, they bought the '94 title.

I consulted http://www.sf49ers.com/history/ to jog my memory

-----------------

The reson I post this is that I think it's impossible to do the same now, because it's unheard of to move a guy like a Deion Sanders anymore. No team wants to give up a guy with that kind of talent when they can francise 'em. There were some guys available for the Packers to sign in the off-season, but there's just no way a guy like Steve Hutchinson is goingo come in and cange the fate of a team.

jack's smirking revenge
04-26-2006, 04:41 PM
I don't think its possible to buy a Super Bowl. There's too many positions to consider and a constrictive cap. No single player is dominant enough to carry a team all the way. I'm also big on the idea that defenses win championships, and there are far too many defensive positions to consider if you try to buy your way to the SB.

Load up on the Dline and you have a suspect secondary.
Build up your secondary and your Dline suffers.

I truly believe that the only way to do it is through VERY smart drafting (like the Steelers and Pats) and an influx of decent FAs (not necessarily big name, high-priced icons).

tyler

b bulldog
04-26-2006, 04:47 PM
a BIG NO TO THAT

Anti-Polar Bear
04-26-2006, 04:55 PM
Yes, you can buy a championship.

GBRulz
04-26-2006, 05:02 PM
I don't think so. If it were possible, Daniel Synder would have done it by now...

jack's smirking revenge
04-26-2006, 05:08 PM
Yes, you can buy a championship.

I'm interested in how you would. Please explain.

tyler

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2006, 07:07 PM
You can--if you sign the right FAs. It's tough though. Really it takes proficiency in all areas (drafting, FA signings, street FAs).

Is New England winning the Super Bowl after signing 13-14 lower-tiered FAs considered buying a championship?

jack's smirking revenge
04-26-2006, 09:24 PM
To your point Harv, I'd like to see proof of how buying a championship has worked since FA started (not you directly, but perhaps Tank can provide some examples). The Pats were shrewd with their FA choices and lucked out in some areas. They went to multiple SBs over the last few years, mainly off the strength of their drafts. That gamble doesn't always work out for a GM. Heck, the Pats drafted Brady in (I think) the 6th round! He pushed out Bledsoe and cemented himself as a leader on that team, a SB champion.

Thus, I think it is possible to do if you spend money on low-risk FAs that pay off. But that is definitely a gamble. If you bust your cap on big ticket free agents, the risk is high and, often, the reward is low.

You build SB teams through the draft. You supplement through FA. It all has to start with the draft though.

My case in point: The Super Bowl champion Steelers. (this is from USA Today). First round picks:

2001 Draft: Casey Hampton
2002 Draft: Kendall Simmons
2003 Draft: Troy Polamalu
2004 Draft: Heath Miller
2005 Draft: Ben Rothlisberger

Later rounds....Hines Ward, Joey Porter. Antwan Randle El.

19 of Pittsburgh's 22 starters in Super Bowl XL were drafted by the Steelers (17) or signed as undrafted rookies (2).

tyler

Scott Campbell
04-26-2006, 09:28 PM
No, you can't buy a NFL championship under the classic definition. There is a hard salary cap in football. You still can in basketball if you are willing to pay the luxury tax. And somebody buys the championship in "major league" baseball virtually every year.

b bulldog
04-26-2006, 09:30 PM
the NFL game needs cohesion and UFA disrupts that.

jack's smirking revenge
04-26-2006, 09:35 PM
the NFL game needs cohesion and UFA disrupts that.

A very interesting comment. I think we need a better balance, for sure. But I don't want to revert back to the old dynasty days where a team like the Pack couldn't buy mercs to come in to help the cause.

I remember one of the first games I got to watch of the Packers when I moved back to the US in 1988 (maybe it was 89) was a game where we beat the 49ers. It was unbelievable because a team like the Pack had no business beating the 49ers. I like that, these days, any team can win on any given Sunday. FA (not directly UFA) has brought balance.

Perhaps we need a better middle ground....

tyler