PDA

View Full Version : Pack's 1st pick: A safety?

Brando19
03-14-2007, 03:52 PM
There is a good possibility that the Green Bay Packers may select a safety on the first day of the April 28-29 NFL Draft, maybe with the 16th overall pick. The Packers are expected to give Marquand Manuel a chance to retain his starting position this off-season despite the struggles he had early on last season, but don’t be surprised if Green Bay selects a potential starter in 2007 at safety via the draft.
Many draft experts feel Louisiana State safety LaRon Landry is the best of the bunch at the safety position in this year’s draft class, which also includes Florida’s Reggie Nelson and Texas’ Michael Griffin.

Here is some info compiled by Scout.com on Landry:

LaRon Landry, S LSU 6-1, 200 (4.5 40-yard dash time at Combine)

NFL Comparison - Darren Sharper, Minnesota

Overview
Very experienced (4-year starter) and has tremendous instincts. Makes plays all over the field and is equally solid against the run and pass. 2006 All-American and would’ve been a first-round pick last year had he left. Hits hard, but can miss. Doesn’t have great hands, but is adequate. Solid body and frame.

Against the Pass
Reads routes correctly, almost as if he knows the play before the ball is snapped. Has great anticipation and makes plays on the ball, despite his lack of elite ball skills. Bats down a lot of passes, but needs to snatch them. Can cover most tight ends and running backs in man coverage, but is also a force in zone, making plays all over the field. Very, very smart football player.

Against the Run
Disregards his own body to lay the boom on ball carriers. Throws himself into opposing players and doesn’t shy away from contact. Sometimes doesn’t wrap up and goes for the highlight hit. Solid open-field tackler and led LSU in tackles last season. Is always around the ball.

Roster Impact for Green Bay
Could start at strong safety in place of Manuel because of his deep speed and great awareness. May be a better fit at free safety in place of Nick Collins. Would be an upgrade over any of Green Bay’s backups, including Marviel Underwood and Tyrone Culver, and could start immediately. Landry will start as a rookie no matter what team takes him.

Draft Projection
A first round lock, the only question is how high? He could go as high as 10 to Atlanta, but safeties tend to drop on draft day. Landry should be off the board by the 22nd pick, meaning the Packers will have to decide at 16 if he is worth selecting.

Final Analysis
Landry is going to be a fantastic NFL safety because he has the size, athleticism and passion to be great. His instincts and awareness are on an elite level, giving him an advantage over almost every other safety in the Draft. Landry’s versatility also pushes him to the top of the class at his position.

Wow...I really like this guy. If Lynch is off the board..I wouldn't mind seeing Landry in a Green and Gold uniform!

FritzDontBlitz
03-14-2007, 03:56 PM
take him if he's there at 16.

HarveyWallbangers
03-14-2007, 04:05 PM
It sounds like it's a real longshot that he'll be there at #16.

TPF
03-14-2007, 04:06 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Please, God.

ND72
03-14-2007, 04:23 PM
We all know Landry, and even a bit about Nelson....But if Michael Griffin is there round 2... :shock: he could play any position in our DB. He was considered a 2nd round pick LAST year because he was playing with Michael Huff, and as a tandom they were unreal, but his "stock" fell a bit with a younger guy with him at Safety this year. I personally really like this guy.

mraynrand
03-14-2007, 05:08 PM
The only way you'd take a guy like this is if you traded down because all the high skill guys you wanted are already gone at #16. Sharper was (I think) picked late in the second round and that's what he deserved. With few exceptions, safties in college are guys that can't run as fast or who aren't as ahletic as corners. That's a fact. You had better be some startling outstanding specimen to blow a top pick on a safety. Yeah, I know, LeRoy Butler was picked high and was a safety - but he played corner in college and had a corner skill set. Who knows - perhaps TT may have actually brought Walker in to play safety. Use your top picks on athletes and players with physical skills and knack you can't get in the lower rounds.

packrulz
03-14-2007, 05:16 PM
We all know Landry, and even a bit about Nelson....But if Michael Griffin is there round 2... :shock: he could play any position in our DB. He was considered a 2nd round pick LAST year because he was playing with Michael Huff, and as a tandom they were unreal, but his "stock" fell a bit with a younger guy with him at Safety this year. I personally really like this guy.

I like Griffin in the 2nd round too, he likes to make those teeth clacking hits.

Joemailman
03-14-2007, 06:50 PM
The only way you'd take a guy like this is if you traded down because all the high skill guys you wanted are already gone at #16. Sharper was (I think) picked late in the second round and that's what he deserved. With few exceptions, safties in college are guys that can't run as fast or who aren't as ahletic as corners. That's a fact. You had better be some startling outstanding specimen to blow a top pick on a safety. Yeah, I know, LeRoy Butler was picked high and was a safety - but he played corner in college and had a corner skill set. Who knows - perhaps TT may have actually brought Walker in to play safety. Use your top picks on athletes and players with physical skills and knack you can't get in the lower rounds.

Sharper was the 60th overall pick in 1996. Actually, Butler wasn't drafted much higher, at 48th overall. If Moss is a Packer by draft day, all signs would point to Marshawn Lynch being the pick if available. Things will get really interesting if he's not available.

CyclonePackFan
03-14-2007, 07:13 PM
There is no way Landry will be there at #16. Reggie Nelson, on the other hand, could still be hanging around.

Partial
03-14-2007, 07:29 PM
There is no way Landry will be there at #16. Reggie Nelson, on the other hand, could still be hanging around.

Reggie Nelson is awesome. I hope he is around. Marshawn reminds me of Pacman Jones. Don't really know why. But I could imagine him rolling with the same sort of crowd.

pack4to84
03-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Brian Meriweather, Mia would be the guy if we draft a S. He fits Packers defense of style to a T. Under there style the S has to man up with a WR at times. So Meriweather can play both CB and S. Merweather can be had lower the 16th pick, giving TT room to move down and get extra picks.