PDA

View Full Version : What we are getting in Walker

Patler
03-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Had time for some research. Found these:

From Keyboard Quarterbacks:

"Up 21-0 early in the fourth quarter and then down 24-21 at the end of the fourth quarter is a script even the Jets wouldn't greenlight. But these are the Giants, with a defense that can blow any sized lead in any amount of time if they set their minds to it.

"And if there's a quarterback in the NFL right now who you think could pull off the comeback, well, after the 2006 Rose Bowl, you have to at least consider putting Vince Young on that list.

"I take it all the way back to University of Texas," Young said in his postgame interview on the field with Fox.

"We all do, Vince. Especially after that shot you took from Frank Walker that drew an unnecessary roughness call and gave your Titans a first down when you came up short on the fourth-down scramble.

"That was stupid," Coughlin said of Walker's hit."

From FOX:

"CB Frank Walker plays out of control, commits foolish penalties and is almost certainly gone, probably without the offer of a contract."

FromNFL Draft Blitz:

"Walker is an aggressive corner with decent coverage skills, but a serious problem with the mental aspect of the game. Walker again was charged with penalties and he made several dumb decisions landed him in the doghouse for much of last season. The team can no longer afford to carry a player that hurt more than helps the team. "

From Footbal Outsiders:

"The Giants started Frank Walker and R.W. McQuarters at cornerback, something no playoff contender should ever have to do."

"The Giants have compensated by blitzing more often, but blitzing is a questionable proposition with Walker and McQuarters manning the secondary."

From the Giant Insider:

" Talk about a guy being on the bubble and responding. We know he was not in the Giants’ plans for this season. He was behind a bunch of corners. They even offered him around the league for anything they could get and found no takers. He was certainly headed for the waiver wire. But, something happened along the way. It’s like a light must have gone on in Walker’s head. He got good. Well, actually he got more consistent. He always could make a sensational play but he usually followed it with a clunker. Now, we still get good plays, but fewer and fewer clunkers. It is not impossible to eventually see him as a starter if he keeps improving."

mraynrand
03-14-2007, 05:39 PM
I keep thinking this guy might end up at safety. If he stays out of the sanitarium.

Freak Out
03-14-2007, 06:24 PM
We signed this guy? I thought we were done with the Carrols of the NFL?

CyclonePackFan
03-14-2007, 07:20 PM
I think the key is we signed this guy to a one year deal. I think he'll realize it's his shot to prove himself (note that quote about "being on the bubble and responding") if he performs well, he might earn himself an extension. If he plays too aggressive and commits stupid penalties, he'll get benched and thrown out to the curb again. Not a bad idea to give a question mark a shot like this, we have so much cap space that if it turns out to be a bad move, it's no big deal.

Fritz
03-15-2007, 01:37 PM
Didn't the Packers have a safety named Chris Akins a couple years ago who continuously got called for late hits and other assorted stupidities?

I read elsewhere that Walker doesn't drink. Maybe he should. Or better yet, maybe he should take up Cletidus Hunt's old pasttime. Mellow him out just a bit, take the edge off.

Lurker64
03-15-2007, 01:45 PM
We signed this guy? I thought we were done with the Carrols of the NFL?

If he were a fourth round pick, or a cheap free agent signing Carrol wouldn't have been that bad. The problem was that as a first round pick, he was expected to be a contributor to the team, not someone you "give a chance to show himself". Since Carrol regularly showed himself as not reliable and immature despite clear and repeated expectations to the contrary, it was time to dump him. If a guy is not expected to be starter quality, you can afford a little more to "give him an opportunity."

packers11
03-24-2007, 02:23 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mgcpgFS8D40

a clear head... thats what... 4th and 9 :lol: (40 seconds into the video)

I like how he can hit though ... HAHAHAHA...

packerbacker1234
03-24-2007, 03:05 PM
First off:

1. He's not starting.
2. Despite all that said about him, he has managed to do JUST ENOUGH to stay in the league. They say he makes plays but makes the same amount of "dumb" plays. Well, apparently the past few years he has cut down the dumb plays. The giants sucked though, so of course all we ever heard was the penalty, not all the big hits he layed on WR's to make them drop balls.

He's a veteran 3rd CB who likes to hit people. I can't complain.

He isn't a carrol. ALl Carrol knew how to do be undersized and get either knocked to the ground or holding a jersey.

Frank walker is not the best corner out there, however he'sa good 3rd CB and he has to compete with dendy (i think it's an upgrade over dendy).

Rastak
03-24-2007, 03:22 PM
From ESPN insider:

Insider Analysis
Grade 52
Expert's Take Walker is a four-year veteran that was drafted in the fourth round by the Giants in 2003. He has been pretty much a career backup to this point and is still learning how to play at this level. He is a good athlete with speed, agility and quickness going for him. He is fluid in the hips and can flip them to turn and run with receivers deep. The only issue is that he is lacking that great top-end burst to catch up if he takes a false step or misreads a route. He is better in trail and bump coverage than when in man off or in zone. He still needs a lot of work on route recognition as well as reading the quarterback to get a jump on the ball. He appears to guess at times and is not quite fast or explosive enough to make up for his mistakes. He is lacking the size to compete with some of the bigger receivers we are seeing in the league these days and may be best suited as the nickel back type of corner at this point. He is willing on run support and will try to drag ball carriers down but is not big or powerful enough to be a force against the run. At this stage he needs to prove that he belongs in the NFL and quit relying on being a project.

HarveyWallbangers
03-24-2007, 04:29 PM
Visanthe Shiancoe | TE

Grade 53
Shiancoe is a four-year veteran who was drafted by the Giants in 2003 in the third round out of Morgan State. He is similar to his teammate Jeremy Shockey in that he is slightly lacking in the bulk that you'd prefer in your tight end. He is more of a receiving tight end than a blocking tight end and does a good job of complementing Shockey when the Giants want to split Shockey out as a wide receiver. He is a good athlete and can run clean, crisp routes, but he does not have the big burst out of his break to separate from defenders in man coverage. He is good at locating the soft spots in zone and will settle to present a good target for his quarterback. At times he will look a bit tentative, both as a blocker and a receiver. He is not real intense as a blocker and generally just tries to position himself and hold on. He lacks the bulk and lower-body strength to hold his ground against a good power rush and often blocks with poor leverage angles. He still needs a lot of technique work, both as a route runner and as a blocker, and is best suited to be a backup.

Bobby Wade | WR

Grade 57
In 2006, Wade played in all 16 games, catching 33 passes for 461 yards. He had a few big games in 2006 and clearly benefited from the opportunity that David Givens' injury presented. He is a solid returner and certainly has value in that area. He is a smallish receiver who is lacking bulk and strength. Wade is more quick than fast and is a very smooth athlete with a good burst in and out of his breaks. He can contort his body in the air or to grab passes behind him. He has impressive body control and is a good leaper. Wade isn't real tough and isn't a factor over the middle. He contributes little as a blocker. He gets pushed around at the line of scrimmage, when battling for the ball in the air and especially in the run game. He has too many easy drops, but can make the spectacular catch at times and catches the ball well on the move. His long speed is a major concern, as he will not flat-out outrun many cornerbacks and rarely will hit the home run as a pass catcher or returner. Wade was let go by the Bears before being signed by Tennessee. He isn't special in any area, but had a decent season and will contribute as a returner.

Vinny Ciurciu | LB

Grade 51
Ciurciu is a backup middle linebacker and core special teams player. He is one of the top tacklers on the Panthers' special teams unit. He is an undersized linebacker but has good athletic skills for the position. He is a straight-line player who struggles with control when breaking down in open space. He is a competitive player with good toughness. Against the run, he is an aggressive and attacking linebacker. He flashes explosive hand use to separate off second-level offensive lineman, but he can get engulfed and washed out of the play. He has good range to play sideline-to-sideline. He is a physical tackler when inserting but doesn't always wrap up and play under control. Against the pass, he is not the most fluid athlete, but he has good quickness and good coverage instincts when dropping to underneath spots. He has good route recognition and anticipation. He has short-area man-to-man coverage skills when matched up versus a tight end or running back. Overall, he is a backup middle linebacker and core special teams player in a 4-3 system in the NFL.

Guiness
03-24-2007, 06:30 PM
From ESPN insider:

Insider Analysis
Grade 52
Expert's Take Walker is a four-year veteran that was drafted in the fourth round by the Giants in 2003. He has been pretty much a career backup to this point and is still learning how to play at this level. He is a good athlete with speed, agility and quickness going for him. He is fluid in the hips and can flip them to turn and run with receivers deep. The only issue is that he is lacking that great top-end burst to catch up if he takes a false step or misreads a route. He is better in trail and bump coverage than when in man off or in zone. He still needs a lot of work on route recognition as well as reading the quarterback to get a jump on the ball. He appears to guess at times and is not quite fast or explosive enough to make up for his mistakes. He is lacking the size to compete with some of the bigger receivers we are seeing in the league these days and may be best suited as the nickel back type of corner at this point. He is willing on run support and will try to drag ball carriers down but is not big or powerful enough to be a force against the run. At this stage he needs to prove that he belongs in the NFL and quit relying on being a project.

Aw shit, now I really like the guy! No kidding, this is exactly how my secondary coach described me after my first year of ball in college. Right down to guessing routes wrong and not good enough to fix the mistake. And he even told me I needed to prove I belonged :oops:

BooHoo
03-24-2007, 07:30 PM
An okay signing. Not much money spent and after a year (if not before) we can part ways if he doesn't pan out.

red
03-24-2007, 11:31 PM
oh good we resigned ahmad carroll

i look forward to him being on the field just long enough to help the other team convert a 1st down with a stupid penalty

red
03-24-2007, 11:36 PM
Frank walker is not the best corner out there, however he'sa good 3rd CB and he has to compete with dendy (i think it's an upgrade over dendy).

i think he'll be competing with blackmon for the nickle not dendy

and i think will will turn out to be a damn good CB

thats why i'm not throwing too big of a fit about us not going after better cb's

w stil need to draft another one at some point this year

and i think theres a strong chance walker doesn't make the cut this year

harris, woodson and blackmon will all be on the roster, and i think we'll have a rookie on the roster. so walker is battling the other leftovers from last year for the last cb spot, and if those guys show even an ounce of promise, i think TT will keep them and cut walker

Rastak
03-25-2007, 02:33 AM
Visanthe Shiancoe | TE

Grade 53
Shiancoe is a four-year veteran who was drafted by the Giants in 2003 in the third round out of Morgan State. He is similar to his teammate Jeremy Shockey in that he is slightly lacking in the bulk that you'd prefer in your tight end. He is more of a receiving tight end than a blocking tight end and does a good job of complementing Shockey when the Giants want to split Shockey out as a wide receiver. He is a good athlete and can run clean, crisp routes, but he does not have the big burst out of his break to separate from defenders in man coverage. He is good at locating the soft spots in zone and will settle to present a good target for his quarterback. At times he will look a bit tentative, both as a blocker and a receiver. He is not real intense as a blocker and generally just tries to position himself and hold on. He lacks the bulk and lower-body strength to hold his ground against a good power rush and often blocks with poor leverage angles. He still needs a lot of technique work, both as a route runner and as a blocker, and is best suited to be a backup.

Bobby Wade | WR

Grade 57
In 2006, Wade played in all 16 games, catching 33 passes for 461 yards. He had a few big games in 2006 and clearly benefited from the opportunity that David Givens' injury presented. He is a solid returner and certainly has value in that area. He is a smallish receiver who is lacking bulk and strength. Wade is more quick than fast and is a very smooth athlete with a good burst in and out of his breaks. He can contort his body in the air or to grab passes behind him. He has impressive body control and is a good leaper. Wade isn't real tough and isn't a factor over the middle. He contributes little as a blocker. He gets pushed around at the line of scrimmage, when battling for the ball in the air and especially in the run game. He has too many easy drops, but can make the spectacular catch at times and catches the ball well on the move. His long speed is a major concern, as he will not flat-out outrun many cornerbacks and rarely will hit the home run as a pass catcher or returner. Wade was let go by the Bears before being signed by Tennessee. He isn't special in any area, but had a decent season and will contribute as a returner.

Vinny Ciurciu | LB

Grade 51
Ciurciu is a backup middle linebacker and core special teams player. He is one of the top tacklers on the Panthers' special teams unit. He is an undersized linebacker but has good athletic skills for the position. He is a straight-line player who struggles with control when breaking down in open space. He is a competitive player with good toughness. Against the run, he is an aggressive and attacking linebacker. He flashes explosive hand use to separate off second-level offensive lineman, but he can get engulfed and washed out of the play. He has good range to play sideline-to-sideline. He is a physical tackler when inserting but doesn't always wrap up and play under control. Against the pass, he is not the most fluid athlete, but he has good quickness and good coverage instincts when dropping to underneath spots. He has good route recognition and anticipation. He has short-area man-to-man coverage skills when matched up versus a tight end or running back. Overall, he is a backup middle linebacker and core special teams player in a 4-3 system in the NFL.

Harvey, could you please explain what this has to do with this thread? I'm pretty fricken sure it didn't mention the Vikings in any way shape or form. I THNK the poster was asking about Walker.

Are you trying to start some shit? I wasn't. I was posting ESPN info...I'm fully aware of the rest thank you. I read it as you can imagine when those signings went down.

Explain how it related to the topic at hand? Are you suggesting I don't mention negative Viking stuff? Did I not already mention what I thought about those signings in this forum? What was the topic of this thread?

Harvey, I'm cool with the give and take but please, re-read the thread and tell me where I invited the Vikings to get dragged into this.

HarveyWallbangers
03-26-2007, 11:18 AM
Harvey, could you please explain what this has to do with this thread? I'm pretty fricken sure it didn't mention the Vikings in any way shape or form. I THNK the poster was asking about Walker.

My point was to show that these backups often don't get glowing reports. Sorry if it came out the wrong way.