PDA

View Full Version : Packers look into new deal for Williams

HarveyWallbangers
03-14-2007, 10:25 PM
Packers look into new deal for Williams
By BOB McGINN

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers want to extend the contract of defensive tackle Corey Williams before he becomes an unrestricted free agent a year from now.

"Yeah, I think so," general manager Ted Thompson said. "We've dabbled at it a little bit. He has the ability to rush the passer. I think he's played well."

Agent Jeff Courtney and team negotiator Andrew Brandt have talked off and on for some time about an extension for the 26-year-old Williams, but tough bargaining has yet to unfold.

"The best way I could put it is there's clearly a reciprocal interest," Courtney said. "I can't sit here and tell you we're having substantial dialogue on it right now. I think 'dabbled' probably is a pretty good word to use."

With the free-agent signing period almost two weeks old, the only player signed by the Packers is backup cornerback Frank Walker. They rank fourth in available cap space with $21.757 million, but the top five players at almost every position no longer are available.

All teams are required to spend 85.2% of their cap in 2007, which in Green Bay's case is $109.653 million.

The Packers have loads of cap room to unload over the next nine months, and it would appear that their method to do it is give Williams and linebacker Nick Barnett front-loaded extensions before they hit the market next March.

"We would prefer to identify players that we want going forward and invest in those players," Thompson said. "The best way for us to improve is improve from within."

The unrestricted market, winnowed by re-signings and seven franchise-player designations, didn't exactly wow Thompson.

"If I can add a veteran to add to our locker room that would be a high-class individual and show these guys how to play the game, then that'd be good," he said. "But we're not going to get bad guys and we're not going to get guys that are just going to get in the way. If they're just guys, I'm not really interested in them."

Williams, a sixth-round draft choice from Arkansas State in 2004, wasn't physically or mentally mature enough to hold a starting job that was all but handed to him in '05. He still was languishing as the No. 4 tackle for the first three games of '06 before he came on to start 11 of the last 13.

"He's come a long way," Courtney said. "I really don't think you've seen the best of him yet."

Last month, the Packers signed another fourth-year defensive lineman, Cullen Jenkins, to a four-year, $15.84 million deal that included a $4 million signing bonus and $6.8 million in guaranteed money.

Certainly the Jenkins deal will be used as a comparable for Williams, but Courtney wouldn't say if his client expected more.

"I don't want to say yes or no," he said. "You see a lot of the new money that's happened recently. I think he's going to obviously make a lot more money. What may be something that could happen now may not be in the future."

In 1,071 career snaps, Williams has 105 tackles and 26 pressures, including 10 sacks. That's an average of one tackle every 10.2 plays and one pressure every 41.2 plays. His seven sacks in '06 trailed only Oakland's Warren Sapp and Detroit's Cory Redding among all tackles in the league.

Jenkins has 125 tackles and 63 pressures (13 1/2 sacks) in 1,466 snaps, averages of one tackle every 11.7 plays and one pressure every 23.3 plays.

"Jenkins is better . . . by a lot," an NFC personnel man said. "Jenkins is big-time on the come. He signed that deal a little bit too early. You can find another Williams."

For now, at least, Williams is willing to bide his time. An escalator clause in the final year of his four-year contract boosted his '07 base salary from $510,000 to $850,000. He can live with it as the two sides negotiate an agreement that would make it worth his while to give up a chance to strike it rich on the unrestricted market in '08.

"Corey loves Green Bay and would love to play there for his entire career," Courtney said. "He's a good guy and he doesn't cause any trouble off the field. I think he fits Green Bay well."

GrnBay007
03-14-2007, 10:29 PM
For now, at least, Williams is willing to bide his time. An escalator clause in the final year of his four-year contract boosted his '07 base salary from $510,000 to $850,000. He can live with it as the two sides negotiate an agreement that would make it worth his while to give up a chance to strike it rich on the unrestricted market in '08.

"Corey loves Green Bay and would love to play there for his entire career," Courtney said. "He's a good guy and he doesn't cause any trouble off the field. I think he fits Green Bay well."

Wow, a player that can actually "live with it" at a salary of 850,000. I'm impressed! Usually they can't support their family with anything under 3-4 million. :P

Bretsky
03-14-2007, 10:33 PM
All teams are required to spend 85.2% of their cap in 2007, which in Green Bay's case is $109.653 million.

The Packers have loads of cap room to unload over the next nine months, and it would appear that their method to do it is give Williams and linebacker Nick Barnett front-loaded extensions before they hit the market next March.

I became ill when reading about more front loading

GBRulz
03-14-2007, 10:34 PM

Wow, a player that can actually "live with it" at a salary of 850,000. I'm impressed! Usually they can't support their family with anything under 3-4 million. :P

LOL! No doubt, right? I'm sure it's tough for them only having 1 or 2 cars instead of the 10 that is needed to support a family :lol:

MJZiggy
03-14-2007, 10:45 PM

Why? That means we'll have lots of cap space again next year and we can have these discussions all over again then. 8)

Pack_Attack88
03-14-2007, 11:00 PM
good!!! DONT TRADE WILLIAMS!!!!

He is gonna be this years Jenkins! The more Dline pressure, the better our secondary that we will upgrade even further with the draft!!

I would even take Jenkins 'Lite!!!

Bretsky
03-14-2007, 11:03 PM

Why? That means we'll have lots of cap space again next year and we can have these discussions all over again then. 8)

Exactly; I need to sleep through every March that the Turtle is our GM

the_idle_threat
03-14-2007, 11:12 PM
I agree with the "NFC Personnel man" quoted in the 3rd-to-last paragraph.

I'll be surprised if they pay him what Jenkins got, or even anything near it. Nothing personal against the guy ... he seems to have a great attitude. But I don't think he's that great a player from what I've seen or from what I've read.

HarveyWallbangers
03-14-2007, 11:25 PM
Scouts vary on just about every player. I like what I see out of Williams. He had a good second half last year, and he's ready to blossom. Besides, it's cool to have Kris Jenkins' brother and Kevin Williams' cousin on the team.
:D

I like our DL. It's underrated. I think they should look to draft a guy in the midrounds because you can never have too many DL, but it's not an urgent priority in my book.

Bretsky
03-14-2007, 11:46 PM
Scouts vary on just about every player. I like what I see out of Williams. He had a good second half last year, and he's ready to blossom. Besides, it's cool to have Kris Jenkins' brother and Kevin Williams' cousin on the team.
:D

I like our DL. It's underrated. I think they should look to draft a guy in the midrounds because you can never have too many DL, but it's not an urgent priority in my book.

Agree completely; DL is the one position on our team I feel comfortable with.

Guiness
03-14-2007, 11:51 PM
I look forward to a very good Dline this year. Kampman and Jenkins at end, Picket and Williams in the middle makes some very solid starters. KGB will be good as a backup. If Cole plays well, we'll be in good shape.

Patler
03-15-2007, 04:42 AM
Before Dec. 1st of last year, I would bet most evaluators would have had Williams well above Jenkins. It's amazing how much 4 games at the end of the year has changed the perception of Jenkins.

CaliforniaCheez
03-15-2007, 06:23 AM
I found this paragraph interesting.

In 1,071 career snaps, Williams has 105 tackles and 26 pressures, including 10 sacks. That's an average of one tackle every 10.2 plays and one pressure every 41.2 plays. His seven sacks in '06 trailed only Oakland's Warren Sapp and Detroit's Cory Redding among all tackles in the league.

I think the advantage the Packers have is having functional players rotating so they are all fresh when playing. I don't believe KGB wasn't demoted but rather Jenkins was playing early downs hence "starting".

It is a good system. All the guys participate and keep their head in the game. Each feels he is contributing.

The system is good for Cory Williams. He would not do as well if he was starting on a poor team or riding the bench on a good team.
Negotiating salaries of these players is difficult from other players as the environment is different.

prsnfoto
03-15-2007, 08:40 AM

When is the last time we had a tackle with that many sacks? Pickett holds the middle well and Kampman,Jenkins, and Williams give us a good shot at 30 sacks thats impressive. I agree with Patler until the last 4 games he was way ahead of Jenkins and has been more healthy lock him up.

Fritz
03-15-2007, 12:41 PM

Bretsky, I can't for the life of me understand why you are "ill" about front-loading contracts. That's like preferring to put a major purchase on a 19% interest rate credit card instead of paying cash.

Why wouldn't you want to target the guys you have that you want in your future, and re-sign them to front-loaded contracts so if they break down or lose effectiveness in the future you won't have to pay big dollars for no production?

Can you explain? I just don't get it, my man.

Bretsky
03-15-2007, 06:08 PM

Bretsky, I can't for the life of me understand why you are "ill" about front-loading contracts. That's like preferring to put a major purchase on a 19% interest rate credit card instead of paying cash.

Why wouldn't you want to target the guys you have that you want in your future, and re-sign them to front-loaded contracts so if they break down or lose effectiveness in the future you won't have to pay big dollars for no production?

Can you explain? I just don't get it, my man.

Because we could sing more talent for our current team with the frontloaded money; I want to win now. It's really that simple; the frontloading concept hurts the near term team and helps the team down the road. And I don't but that concept with the cap going up every year anyways.

The Other extreme is to push off all the money to the cap later and win now at all costs. I'm not there. But I don't want to push all the money into today's cap so we better our chances of winning later either.

RashanGary
03-15-2007, 06:17 PM
Good to hear. It's nice to know that we are using our money wisely. We have a good young core that will keep getting better and Thompson seems very willing to take a little risk and lock them up early.

Most growth, like with past and present SB and playoff teams comes from within. It's refreshing to have a GM who understands and embraces reality.

RashanGary
03-15-2007, 06:23 PM
The Other extreme is to push off all the money to the cap later and win now at all costs. I'm not there. But I don't want to push all the money into today's cap so we better our chances of winning later either.

I think the goal is to keep drafting well and eventually that extra space that we're accumulating will be gobbled up by our young hungry core that should be getting ready for big paydays over the next few years. The goal is to get the most bang for our buck and becuase we drafted bad, we have to wait a little bit before the new young core is ready to get paid.

It's not about being better later; it's about getting better PERIOD. You can't get better if you don't have the finance to support it and you won't have the finance to support it unless you draft well and lock your guys up without the burden of UFA.

If we blew our whole wad this year, we wouldn't get that much better and this next season will agian prove that by how badly the teams who spent do as a whole. I feel comfortable saying that because it's happened every year for like 10 years. Next season Barnett will demand huge dollars and we might lock him up and then we'll have nothing left for the following year. Like I said earlier; we wont' be that much better because the UFA's that you salivate for are junk.

Now we're still just above average and we have no money to go up. In fact, we have to let some of our own young guys go because we don't have the flexibility to keep them and we didn't even have the $$ to lock them up early. We're screwed. WE are right where Mike Sherman left us again.

TT is doing the right thing. I really believe he is taking the best approach.