PDA

View Full Version : Woodsen Signs!!!!!!!!!

packinator
04-26-2006, 05:16 PM
From JSOnline Weds 4:56PM:

The Green Bay Packers have agreed to terms with free agent cornerback Charles Woodson on a seven-year, $52 million contract, agent Carl Poston said this afternoon.

The Packers were in a heated battle with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for Woodson's services and had been in discussions with Poston over the past several weeks. Talks picked up the past couple of days and Woodson apparently was both encouraged by the money the Packers were offering and the return of quarterback Brett Favre.

What a great 24 hours!!!!!!!

Scott Campbell
04-26-2006, 05:24 PM
Please tell me that it's a backloaded contract with money he'll probably never see.

jack's smirking revenge
04-26-2006, 05:27 PM
I, for one, am quite pleased. We could use his experience.

It's probably front-loaded, using up a chunk of our cap space. Given that we have the 2nd most in the league, that really doesn't matter THAT much.

People can't have it both ways--criticizing TT for doing nothing and then criticizing him when he spends the money.

Let's just be excited that we won the battle for a big name free agent, even if it is just for PR reasons. AND he'll be able to contribute right away (provided he doesn't get hurt again).

tyler

mraynrand
It's a backloaded contract with lots of money he'll probably never see. That may be completely untrue, but you asked.

Guiness
***whistles***

That sure sounds like a serious commitment. Guess we'll see when the breakdown comes out.

gbpackfan
04-26-2006, 05:32 PM
YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

This is great!!!! Woodson will be solid! Harris and Woodson as our corners with Carroll and Hawk fighting it out for the 3rd spot! Manual and Collings as S! Wow, I can't even put a complete sentence together I am so excited!

BF4MVP
04-26-2006, 05:34 PM
OMFG IM SO EXCITED!!!!!

MAJOR props to Ted for making it happen!!!!!!!!!

Too bad Joey Thomas had his number retired..It's gonna be weird seeing Woodson wearing a number that's not 24 :lol:

That was a joke, but come to think of it, if it were up to me, Willie Wood's number would be retired..

oregonpackfan
04-26-2006, 05:35 PM
Signing Woodson is a big coup for Thompson and the Packers!

Oregonpackfan

jack's smirking revenge
04-26-2006, 05:35 PM
Great benefit: Carroll will be able to learn from a veteran starter with tons of experience. Harris was a backup with the Eagles and grew into his starting spot. We didn't know WHAT we'd get with Harris. I think Carroll will benefit GREATLY from Woodson's skill and knowledge. It should also make Carroll focus and work on his own skills as he's now demoted.

Money aside, his signing will help the skill in our secondary significantly. Maybe even elevate Hawkins skill as well now that he can watch a true vet, even if he has lost a step.

tyler

BF4MVP
04-26-2006, 05:36 PM
I wonder what Tank, B, and the other renowned TT haters will think of this signing...

hurleyfan
04-26-2006, 05:36 PM
Nice!

Cmon Tank, you can say it!! Nice job TT :lol:

b bulldog
04-26-2006, 05:38 PM
Maybe they could trade Carrol to the Pats(they really liked him) for a 7.

Scott Campbell
04-26-2006, 05:39 PM
Nice!

This might not be such good news for Tank. The odds of TT taking Huff dropped to virtually nill.

jack's smirking revenge
04-26-2006, 05:39 PM
Maybe they could trade Carrol to the Pats(they really liked him) for a 7.

I wouldn't do it simply because the Pats seem to have a way of turning other people's castoffs into gold. Carroll probably would go east and turn into Patrick Surtain. :D

tyler

hurleyfan
04-26-2006, 05:40 PM
Nice!

This might not be such good news for Tank. The odds of TT taking Huff dropped to virtually nill.That's tight! Huff has been one of Tanks favs!

Scott Campbell
04-26-2006, 05:42 PM
I want the details of the contract. And I want them right now.

Partial
04-26-2006, 05:43 PM
this is more like a 3 year, 20 million contract i'd bet.

Scott Campbell
04-26-2006, 05:45 PM

I'd like to see a large roster bonus this year, and relatively low cap numbers and guaranteed money for future years.

And he better play lights out smash mouth football for us too.

jack's smirking revenge
04-26-2006, 05:49 PM

I'd like to see a large roster bonus this year, and relatively low cap numbers and guaranteed money for future years.

And he better play lights out smash mouth football for us too.

I agree with both points Scott. Give him his money now while we have it.

It'll be just like his good ol' days at Michigan. Snow flying. Dirt and grit.

Maybe we'll see a revitalized woody....I mean, Woodson. :D

tyler

BF4MVP
04-26-2006, 05:52 PM
I have a gut feeling Woodson will stay healthy and possibly make the pro bowl next year..

Don't ask me why..Cuz it's just a gut feeling..

CyclonePackFan
04-26-2006, 05:52 PM
Y'know, I'm not gonna bother doing something different. I'm just gonna repeat myself from last night:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSS

I'm gonna paraphrase Howard Dean here...

AND WE'RE GONNA GO TO LAMBEAU, AND DETROIT, AND PHILADELPHIA, AND MIAMI, AND WE'RE GONNA GO TO BUFFALO AND MINNESOTA AND SEATTLE AND WE'RE GONNA GO TO SAN FRANCISCO AND CHICAGO, THEN WE'RE GONNA GO THROUGH THE PLAYOFFS AND TAKE BACK THE LOMBARDI TROPHY!

YEAHHHHHHHH!

A man can dream...

BF4MVP
04-26-2006, 05:53 PM
I swear I've read that somewhere before :wink:

CyclonePackFan
04-26-2006, 05:56 PM
I have 4 classes to go, Favre resigned, Woodson signed, My Runge-Kutta code is working, and I'm gonna go out tomorrow night and get free Papa John's at a bar. All I need is to finish my panel method code tonight and I'll be very, very happy for this week..

(I hope the momentum carries into Finals)

jack's smirking revenge
04-26-2006, 05:59 PM
Yeah, well I won my company's annual Exemplary Client Service award today (with a nice bonus attached), am picking up the debut run of my band's CD tomorrow, and get to party with a couple thousand college kids at the U of MN campus on Saturday! Throw on the great news of the last couple days, and I can totally relate to your good times Cyclone!

tyler

Scott Campbell
04-26-2006, 06:00 PM
I reserve judgement on this signing until I see the contract details.

Though I am glad to see the "no FA will ever come to GB" crowd get served.

RashanGary
04-26-2006, 06:05 PM
It was probably pretty fair. I'm sure the Packers overpaid a bit but they almost had to because they couldn't possibly push all of it into next season.

I haven't seen enough of Woodson to be beable to say he's still a great player but I do know he is better than Carroll.

jack's smirking revenge
04-26-2006, 06:06 PM
Though I am glad to see the "no FA will ever come to GB" crowd get served.

Truedat.

tyler

jack's smirking revenge
04-26-2006, 06:08 PM
From ESPN.com...

The contract is a seven-year deal worth $52 million, ESPN.com's Michael Smith reports. Woodson will make $10.5 million in the first year of the deal and $18 million over the first three years. Woodson will also receive a $3 million bonus if he is selected to the Pro Bowl in two of the first three years of the contract.

tyler

CyclonePackFan
04-26-2006, 06:14 PM
From ESPN.com...

The contract is a seven-year deal worth $52 million, ESPN.com's Michael Smith reports. Woodson will make $10.5 million in the first year of the deal and $18 million over the first three years. Woodson will also receive a $3 million bonus if he is selected to the Pro Bowl in two of the first three years of the contract.

tyler

That's pretty frontloaded. I wonder how much of that $10.5M is incentive based, though. That leaves us with about $7M before cuts for rookies.

Scott Campbell
04-26-2006, 06:15 PM
From ESPN.com...

tyler

Well, I'm no Patler, but that looks like $31M over the last 4 years of the deal. I'd call that backloaded.

And the per year average over years 2 and 3 are a reasonable $3.75M. The $3M bonus for making 2 out of 3 Pro Bowls seems difficult to reach, and more than fair if he reaches them. I'd love to know how much the signing bonus was. And I'd love to know the year by year value against the cap.

jack's smirking revenge
04-26-2006, 06:17 PM
Probably enough to buy Javon's old house. :D

tyler

ND72
04-26-2006, 06:29 PM
can't even tell you how pumped i am. can't. words don't explain. all i can say is

CHARLES "F-ING" WOODSON!!!

Rastak
04-26-2006, 06:35 PM
can't even tell you how pumped i am. can't. words don't explain. all i can say is

CHARLES "F-ING" WOODSON!!!

I'm not a big Woodson fan at all....injury prone and slightly overvalued. But with all that cap space it's probably not a bad move. It doesn't sound like a crippling contract by any means.

jack's smirking revenge
04-26-2006, 06:39 PM
I hear your point Rastak. I'm not a big Woodson fan either. But I like his potential of elevating the skill level of everyone else in the secondary. We don't have anyone with his experience and skill back there. Harris is good, but was a career backup until we plugged him in as starter. Now, he's a solid corner. Money well spent if he can mentor the next generation of the GB secondary...

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

tyler

Partial
04-26-2006, 06:47 PM
That seems like a ton for him.

I bet this is a 3 year, 20 million contract. No way does he get all 7 years out of this bad boy.

Scott Campbell
04-26-2006, 06:57 PM
That seems like a ton for him.

I bet this is a 3 year, 20 million contract. No way does he get all 7 years out of this bad boy.

If he played all 7 years, that would make him almost as old as Brett is now. I'm guessing the last couple of years on the deal are inflated bogus money to allow he and his agent to gloat over their $52M deal. Now he can say he got more than Hutch.

Harlan Huckleby
04-26-2006, 07:05 PM
Nothing to get emotional about.

The Packers just gave 10M guaranteed & a long term contract to a guy who will be 30 next fall, coming off an injury year.

Arrington would have gotten my heart pumping. Or some offensive firepower to make then competitive next fall.

The Packers essentially brought back Darren Sharper.

I don't disagree with the decision, it's probably the best remaining option for their cap space. But I see Woodson as the free agency booby prize.

Bretsky
04-26-2006, 07:13 PM
Charles F...ckin Woodsen ? Is this a dream ? Will a couple Grailees wake us next to me ? Did Thompson really do this ? Kudos to him for showing a player the money.

NOW GO GET HAWK AND SHORE THE DEFENSE UP !!

CyclonePackFan
04-26-2006, 07:17 PM
Is this a dream?

I don't know yet. If twin Playboy Bunnies pop into my room I'll know for sure. :twisted:

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2006, 07:24 PM

Not really. Sharper is a safety. Woodson will be pushing Carroll to the nickel slot--where he belongs. You save on safeties. You spend on corners.

MJZiggy
04-26-2006, 07:30 PM
So I'm going to ask the obvious question that sounds stupid, but I have a reason: does anyone think Woodson is a big-name signing?

BF4MVP
04-26-2006, 07:33 PM
GET VERNON AND GET FAVRE ANOTHER WEAPON!

Bretsky
04-26-2006, 07:58 PM

The Best Weapon for Brett Favre is a dominant defense

Kiwon
04-26-2006, 07:58 PM
So I'm going to ask the obvious question that sounds stupid, but I have a reason: does anyone think Woodson is a big-name signing?

He's a recognizable name, but I don't think he's a first-tier FA. Nonetheless, his addition will improve the D immediately.

Count me as one who is surprised that TT gave him $10.5 million for one year and $18 for three years. Woodson has had some health issues and I wonder if he will adjust well to a city of 102,000 after being in Oakland/San Francisco area for 8 years. If he's healthy and his head's into the game, he could become the impact Pro Bowl player that he once was.

Now, if TT could pull a solid guard out of his hat, that would really get me enthused.

ND72
04-26-2006, 08:04 PM

The Best Weapon for Brett Favre is a dominant defense

couldn't agree more Bretsky.

Joemailman
04-26-2006, 08:10 PM
If TT now drafts Hawk, every area of the defense, (Defensive Line, Linebacker and secondary) will have been upgraded. If TT can then get a high draft pick for Walker, he should be in a good position to strengthen the offense through the draft.

ND72
04-26-2006, 08:14 PM
absolutely

BooHoo
04-26-2006, 08:24 PM
I am happy with the signing. He may not be the best CB in the league but his signing immediately improves our defense. Good move. :smile:

Charles Woodson
04-26-2006, 08:25 PM
OMFG i proclaim this, the official TT day. Wow never thought he would sign this guy but extremely happy

Charles Woodson
04-26-2006, 08:26 PM
Packers reach agreement with Charles WoodsonBy Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Charles Woodson, one of the last premium players remaining in the free agent market but also a potential gamble given his recent injury history, reached a contract agreement on Wednesday evening with the Green Bay Packers, league sources confirmed.

Charles Woodson
Cornerback
Oakland Raiders

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
Tot Ast Solo FF Sack Int
31 27 4 1 0 1

The agreement is a seven-year deal worth $52 million, ESPN.com's Michael Smith reports. Woodson will make $10.5 million in the first year of the deal and $18 million over the first three years. Woodson will also receive a $3 million bonus if he is selected to the Pro Bowl in two of the first three years of the contract.

Notable is that the agreement came one day after quarterback Brett Favre, who urged Packers executives to make some high-profile additions to the roster in the offseason, apprised Green Bay officials that he will return for a 16th season in 2006. It is not believed that Favre's decision was based on any inkling that the Packers were about to land Woodson.

Woodson chose the Packers over the Tampa Bay Bucs, essentially the only other team that demonstrated legitimate interest in him since he became an unrestricted free agent last month. Woodson, 29, had played his entire eight-year career with the Oakland Raiders, who took him in the first round of the 1998 draft.

Oakland made no attempt to re-sign Woodson.

In terms of name value, Woodson is clearly the Packers' most significant offseason addition. Whether his game still lives up to Woodson's name, however, is questionable, at least based on the last two seasons.

The former University of Michigan star and 1997 Heisman Trophy winner was designated by the Raiders as a franchise player each of the last two seasons. But Woodson suffered injuries in both of those seasons, finished each year on injured reserve, and appeared in just 19 games.

In fact, Woodson, sidelined by knee and hip injuries in 2004 and by a broken leg in 2005, has not played a full 16-game schedule since 2001. He suffered the broken leg in a game against Buffalo last Oct. 23, and made just six appearances, a career low.

The injuries were costly to the Raiders on the field but also off it. With the two consecutive franchise designations, Woodson earned a total of $19.32 million in 2004-2005. The return on that pricey investment: Just 103 tackles, two interceptions and 11 passes defensed.

For his career, Woodson has played in 106 games and registered 456 tackles, 17 interceptions, 66 passes defensed, 5½ sacks, 14 forced fumbles and five recoveries. In the last five seasons, however, Woodson has recorded more than one interception just one time, in 2003, when he had three. He has never posted more than five interceptions in a season and his career best came in his rookie campaign of 1998, when he was the fourth overall player chosen in the draft.

His supporters used to suggest, with some justification, that Woodson's interception numbers were never impressive because most opposing quarterbacks rarely tested him. Indeed, for the first half of his career, Woodson was one of the top cover defenders in the league. But there are skeptics now, particularly given his recent injuries, who feel he will never perform up to his prior Pro Bowl level.

Tampa Bay had planned to use Woodson at safety had the Bucs landed him. The Bucs were familiar with Woodson because general manager Bruce Allen and coach Jon Gruden held the same positions in Oakland for part of his tenure there. Tampa Bay officials had suggested, though, that they would not overspend to add Woodson to their secondary.

It is believed Woodson will remain at cornerback with the Packers and start opposite Al Harris, allowing the Green Bay coaches to move 2004 first-round pick Ahmad Carroll to the nickel cornerback spot.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Charles Woodson
04-26-2006, 08:27 PM
Also my thought is that, maybe Favre new that he was signing, maybe that was why it was so soon. Proably like a final pushh

Harlan Huckleby
04-26-2006, 08:43 PM
Also my thought is that, maybe Favre new that he was signing, maybe that was why it was so soon. Proably like a final pushh

Woodson is a big signing only in price. He has not been an impact player for many years. There is hope. But definitely a wait-and-see deal.

Sorry for pouring cold water on the party!

Chubbyhubby
04-26-2006, 08:44 PM
If we draft Hawk first round do you think TT will draft offensive players for the remaining picks? What do you think?

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2006, 08:58 PM
If we draft Hawk first round do you think TT will draft offensive players for the remaining picks? What do you think?

Most of the remaining picks.

I'd like to see Hawk, a couple of interior OL, WR. With the other three picks take best player available.

b bulldog
04-26-2006, 09:01 PM
Hawk may end up being a one or twp down LB. I don't think Hawk will beat Barnett out for the nickel/dime packages.

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2006, 09:05 PM
The hate has hit an all-time high.

b bulldog
04-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Can you read, old misguided one?

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2006, 09:08 PM
Hawk may end up being a one down LB? For this team. Hawk is a three down LB.

b bulldog
04-26-2006, 09:11 PM
He won't be as good in coverage as Barnett. I agree with Cliff Christle on that.

b bulldog
04-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Some GM's think Greenway will be the better NFL player over Hawk!

ND72
04-26-2006, 09:14 PM
Hawk is easily a 3 down LB on this team.

b bulldog
04-26-2006, 09:14 PM
Wrong and wrong again

b bulldog
04-26-2006, 09:15 PM
Trade down and get Simms or Greenway.

ND72
04-26-2006, 09:16 PM
who else plays LB in Nickle? BArnett and Hawk.

you are getting confused Bulldog. Mario Williams would maybe be a 1 down player right now. Hawk will be on the field. Barnett can move back even and play a DB in Dime and Hawk patrols the middle

b bulldog
04-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Sorry but your wrong. Barnett is best in coverage and he will be the three down LB. Hawk will be a two down LB.

ND72
04-26-2006, 09:19 PM
that's basically what i just said. barnett could drop into a coverage player in dime, and hawk just stands in the middle. hawk would be used more as a blitzer in those situations.

i know there is a drug problem in berlin schools, but i didn't realize it's spreading through the community...cause you gotta be a drugs to think like that.

b bulldog
Harv, add King,Christle, and demosky to the list that think Hawk isn't worth the 5 pick. King thought that fergy or Davis should go to GB.

ND72
are they picking? or is ted thompson?

b bulldog
04-26-2006, 09:20 PM
YOU ARE INVOLVED IN THE mARKESAN SYSTEM AND FROM WHAT i HEAR, THEY'RE LOSING KIDS RIGHT AND LEFT. Two LB's won't be on the field at the same time in the dime.

b bulldog
04-26-2006, 09:21 PM
ted and from what I hear he has Mario number one on his board.

b bulldog
04-26-2006, 09:22 PM
Now you'll say that Wolf doesn't know sh!t.

ND72
04-26-2006, 09:22 PM
what did markesan kids leaving have to do with me? they arne't leaving, their parents are leaving the town. totally a dumb post back to me from the berlin hit.

And how do you know 2 LB's won't be on the field in dime...Chicago did it last year...Briggs and Urlacher were both in during dime, Urlacher moved over to a slot coverage position.

ND72
04-26-2006, 09:23 PM
against, what does Ron Wolf have to do with it? you never mentioned him

and sure he has Mario #1, doesn't matter, he's going to be picked way before GB, so we won't have to worry bout "Super Bust"

ND72
04-26-2006, 09:24 PM
and besides...about markesan...i coach there, i teach in berlin...

b bulldog
04-26-2006, 09:25 PM
My kids don't go to the public schools in berlin

ND72
04-26-2006, 09:26 PM
good choice...i would send them to Clay...but not BHS.

b bulldog
04-26-2006, 09:28 PM
From what I hear is that the police are at Clay once a week and that they teach the "new math". One of my good friends wife is a teacher there.

ND72
04-26-2006, 09:30 PM
donno bout that one.....but the police have an OFFICE at BHS. (new within the last few years). when i teach i prefer clay or BMS...but not BHS...i know a lot of the all saints teachers as well, they are real good, and so are the BMS teachers...BHS..scare me.

SkinBasket
04-26-2006, 09:30 PM
Harv, add King,Christle, and demosky to the list that think Hawk isn't worth the 5 pick. King thought that fergy or Davis should go to GB.

And add my anus to the list of those who don't give two shits about what any of those listed above think.

Davis is a 12 pick at best. Just because he hired someone who's done a wonderful job talking up his measurables doesn't mean nothing. NO ONE was talking V Davis at five when the boys were playing football. V Davis, and bulldog, this air buscuit is for you. Enjoy.

b bulldog
04-26-2006, 09:32 PM
That's really disappointing but don't you think that is all over the place in today's highschools.

MJZiggy
04-26-2006, 09:34 PM
Ok, but here's the thing. Tank and I had a little agreement that I cajoled him into on jso that if TT signs a big FA, Tank owes me some Kool-aid. Now, I don't know about high school in Wisconsin, but if Len Pasquarelli calls Woodson one of the last PREMIUM free agents on the market, I'd say that counts.

ND72
04-26-2006, 09:39 PM
Berlin is all about drinking and partying. Myls could have been a hell of an athlete even more so if he could stay away from the beer...lots of girls don't go out for sports cause of the drinking parties. drinking is really, REALLY heavy at BHS. lots of older teachers, like ones i had are really disapointed in the kids there, odn't understand why they dont' do anything, really disappointed in my HS>

BACK TO THE TOPIC>....CHARLES "F-ING" WOODSON.

Rastak
04-26-2006, 09:48 PM

Not really. Sharper is a safety. Woodson will be pushing Carroll to the nickel slot--where he belongs. You save on safeties. You spend on corners.

Unless you like seeing the guy take it to the house.... :wink:

b bulldog
04-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Kids need to take accountability when they are in highschool and do their best in academic's and sports. Being from Ripon, we always liked to come to berlin to party with the Berlin girls. They were always lots of fun :twisted:

ND72
04-26-2006, 09:53 PM
agreed...and from what i hear..the berlin girls "get around" these days. i never partied in high school...i was too wrapped up in sports and music...i knew i was going to college for football, so i didn't wanna mess it up. so i stayed away from anythign that could happen.

b bulldog
04-26-2006, 09:55 PM
That's the best route to go.

MJZiggy
04-26-2006, 09:58 PM
Now can we get back to Tank owing me Kool-Aid?

b bulldog
04-26-2006, 10:03 PM
Just read where Woody recieved no signing bonus in his contract. TT is the man if this is true

MJZiggy
04-26-2006, 10:03 PM
Some of us already knew that. Which is WHY Tank owes me.

b bulldog
04-26-2006, 10:05 PM
yOU ARE THE WOMEN ZIGGY,

Deputy Nutz
04-26-2006, 10:22 PM
That school talk, was absolute the shittiest thing I have ever had to read about.

Bulldog, sometimes I wonder if you know what the hell you are talking about. Christ youre a big ten guy and have probably seen Hawk play at least a half a dozen times, to bad your blinded by your blue glasses to see the greatness. I didn't say potential, he is already great.

If you notice, Kampman didn't get a real big signing bonus, that is because the team has 19 million dollars of cap room, and the signing bonus hits the cap for several years, not just one. They don't have to spread out the bonus money over the life of the contract if they have money up front to pay him. I suspect a roster bonus and a high base salary.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-26-2006, 11:03 PM
I wonder what Tank, B, and the other renowned TT haters will think of this signing...

Woodson, as much as Im glad he signed, is only one piece of the puzzle. Any GM with $35 mil wouldve signed Woodson all long time ago, along with 4 other top tier free agents (such as Hutchinson, Bentley, Owens and Peterson/Arrington)

Woodson's signing is good news, nonetheless.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-26-2006, 11:09 PM
Nice!

This might not be such good news for Tank. The odds of TT taking Huff dropped to virtually nill.

Take heed on this: Huff will play safety in the NFL, not corner. You play Huff at corner, and no matter how good he is there, you are not utilizing his talent to the max.

Like I said, Huff is the only players in this draft who can blitz like Porter, cover like Bailey and hit like Roy Williams. The complete player.

Any one who thinks Maneul is the next Darran Sharper must be drinking the Artuaro Freeman kool aid.

OS PA
04-27-2006, 01:40 AM
Poston said that Woodson, unlike fellow free agent LaVar Arrington, did not talk to Favre about Green Bay before signing. But Woodson did speak to Arrington, who is also represented by Poston and his brother, Kevin, and the two considered playing together in Green Bay.

Arrington ultimately picked the New York Giants because he wanted to play in the AFC East and remain near his Annapolis, Md., home.

"They were close to having both of them," Poston said.

Close but no cigar, i'm damn happy as is, but that would have been amazing.

No Mo Moss
04-27-2006, 03:09 AM
Well, I was just out tonight with one of my buddies who is a Vikings fan and we were talking about FA.. He and his buddies were all hoping we signed Arrington, (bust factor I guess) but none of them wanted us to sign him.. Actually many of them thought it was crazy we could team him w? harris.....my friend is actually pretty scared of our defense now. Hey for what its worth, I think this is great. Even if he bombs we can handle it. Nice move TT, now grab Hawk and we'll see what we can do... :shock:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/49731014_b5fdec2db0.jpg

Rastak
04-27-2006, 05:36 AM
Well, I was just out tonight with one of my buddies who is a Vikings fan and we were talking about FA.. He and his buddies were all hoping we signed Arrington, (bust factor I guess) but none of them wanted us to sign him.. Actually many of them thought it was crazy we could team him w? harris.....my friend is actually pretty scared of our defense now. Hey for what its worth, I think this is great. Even if he bombs we can handle it. Nice move TT, now grab Hawk and we'll see what we can do... :shock:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/49731014_b5fdec2db0.jpg

I didn't like Arrington or Woodson going into FA. However, he's certainly not a step down so he should help improve the defense if healthy.This is also a deep draft for corners, so say the "experts". However, this does allow them to focus on other things during the draft...again, it ain't a bad move.

Tarlam!
04-27-2006, 05:47 AM
Ras, WR, OL and DL quality is down this year. But, lots of RBs, TEs, QBs on offense and LBs and DBs on defense.

I think it's a great draft class.

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2006, 07:45 AM
Ras, WR, OL and DL quality is down this year. But, lots of RBs, TEs, QBs on offense and LBs and DBs on defense.

I think it's a great draft class.

And I don't even think WRs is that down. The top stinks, but there are a lot of intriguing size/speed guys in this draft that teams will get in rounds 2-5. There are a ton of guys who go 6'2", 6'3" with 40 times around 4.45. OL isn't really deep, but there seem to be more guys that fit a zone blocking scheme (Joseph, Matua, Chester, Eslinger, Setterstrom, Kuper, etc.). DE stinks. Great draft class.

imscott72
04-27-2006, 10:20 AM
Wow just read about this this morning. Great news. I told you guys to give TT a chance. All we need now is a solid draft which TT is known for, and we'll be fielding a nice competitve team in 06. What a week!! Bring on Saturday!

OS PA
04-27-2006, 02:47 PM
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/5063/charleswoodson0hd.jpg

Bad Photoshop skills, but doesn't it look pretty?

No Mo Moss
04-27-2006, 03:00 PM
What kind of attitde do you think he'll bring? I've always been under the impression that he thought he was a lot better than he actually is, still good though. He hasn't played a whole season since 2001 though. If we could have his services for atleast 12 weeks and into Dec. I would be happy.