View Full Version : MSM confirmation of Moss deal : Boston Herald

motife
03-15-2007, 10:08 AM
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=188664

Source: Packers close to deal for Moss
By Michael Felger
Boston Herald Patriots Beat Columnist

Thursday, March 15, 2007 - Updated: 10:37 AM EST

For those holding out hope that the Patriots plans to revamp the wide receiver position included trading for Randy Moss, we have some bad news for you.

A source in Wisconsin said today that the Packers and Raiders are on the verge of announcing a trade that would send the troubled receiver to Green Bay in exchange for backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

There are expected to be other particulars in the deal. According to the source, Green Bay would also give up a seventh-round pick in 2008, while the Packers would receive Raiders tight end Courtney Anderson as part of the deal. The Packers would also receive a conditional pick from the Raiders in the 2009 draft which would be based on Rodgers’ production in Oakland the next two seasons.

The source indicated that Moss has agreed to restructure his contract, which calls for $20 million in base salary the next two years. Moss and Packers quarterback Brett Favre are said to have been talking on the phone throughout the process. Press conferences could be held as early as Friday.

© Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten

motife
03-15-2007, 10:15 AM
http://www.620wtmj.com/_content/wtmj/streaming.asp

we may want to stay close to our streaming internet radio today...

Zool
03-15-2007, 10:22 AM
Just do it already Mr Thompson. Like a band aid. Tear it fast. Will Drew Stanton be around at the 48th pick or does this preclude some first round trading down?

GBRulz
03-15-2007, 10:24 AM
It's so hard to determine what to believe. Especially when our own front office specifically says that trading Rodgers is not in the mix. It seems like that is all we're hearing lately now (Rodgers being traded).

Thanks for the article, Motife.

vince
03-15-2007, 10:31 AM
ESPN (Cold Pizza) just reported a COMPLETELY contradictory story. They said the only way the Packers are interested in Moss is if the Raiders cut him, and a trade including Rodgers is NOT an option.

Just bringing the news - not implying that there's any truth to any of it.

motife
03-15-2007, 10:37 AM
ESPN (Cold Pizza) just reported a COMPLETELY contradictory story. They said the only way the Packers are interested in Moss is if the Raiders cut him, and a trade including Rodgers is NOT an option.

Just bringing the news - not implying that there's any truth to any of it.

I'm with you and GBRulz. Just keeping an ear to the rail to hear if there's a train coming. Not endorsing the readings as facts.

red
03-15-2007, 10:39 AM
well it is nice to hear from some other outlets on this story

and they do seem to backup that far fetched wack job rumor we heard last night. somewhat

still, i'll believe it when i see it

BallHawk
03-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Isn't this the same rumor that was posted earlier on packerforum.com?

Hmm, maybe there is some truth to this.

Courtney Anderson isn't too bad, actually.

Zool
03-15-2007, 10:42 AM
Or maybe this news paper is pulling this from there to run a story?

BallHawk
03-15-2007, 10:43 AM

I had the same thought.

Now that would be some downright shitty journalism.

LL2
03-15-2007, 10:49 AM
I’m torn if Rodgers is part of the deal. Not that I think he’s the next great one, but who do we have – Ingle Martin? Puleease. I’ll take Rodgers of Martin. I’m sure they are now expecting Favre to play two more years, but we need another QB prospect. The thought of Driver and Moss out there is kind of scary. Favre could put up some serious numbers next year.

red
03-15-2007, 10:50 AM

i thought the same thing

maybe their big inside guy is just some jackass on an internet forum

BallHawk
03-15-2007, 10:50 AM
I’m torn if Rodgers is part of the deal. Not that I think he’s the next great one, but who do we have – Ingle Martin? Puleease. I’ll take Rodgers of Martin. I’m sure they are now expecting Favre to play two more years, but we need another QB prospect. The thought of Driver and Moss out there is kind of scary. Favre could put up some serious numbers next year.

Perhaps Ingle Martin could bring defenders to their knees with his slapstick comedy? :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
03-15-2007, 10:54 AM
i thought the same thing

maybe their big inside guy is just some jackass on an internet forum

It happens more often than you think.

motife
03-15-2007, 10:57 AM
do note though it's an Associated Press Story.

for what that's worth.

swede
03-15-2007, 10:59 AM
do note though it's an Associated Press Story.

for what that's worth.

GIGO

prsnfoto
03-15-2007, 11:07 AM

I actually hold a little hope for Martin he is very raw like Favre was and Spurrier must have saw something in him he was #1 at Florida until he left for the Redskins. C. Leak replaces him at a huge D-1 school and may not get drafted any higher than Ingle at Furman. He at the very least could be another Hasselbeck.

retailguy
03-15-2007, 11:14 AM
FROM PFT:

POSTED 10:59 a.m. EDT; UPDATED 11:59 a.m. EDT, March 15, 2007

MOSS DEAL CLOSE

Michael Felger of the Boston Herald reports that the Green Bay Packers are close to acquiring receiver Randy Moss from the Raiders. In return, the Raiders would get quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Is there a freaking echo in here?

We feel vindicated by Felger's report, primarily because our string of stories about this looming deal over the past month or so have been flat-out ignored and/or completely disregarded by the "real" media.

On his Green Bay radio show, our old friend Chris Havel scoffed at our report. Other writers felt compelled to apologize to us via e-mail for printing G.M. Ted Thompon's flippant response to our Rodgers-for-Moss items. Consider this, from the March 1 Wisconsin State Journal:

"Thompson did say the team wasn't actively shopping backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers. Profootballtalk.com reported the Raiders asked for a first-round pick for Moss, and the Packers countered with offering Rodgers. Rodgers, reached Thursday, said he had not been told he was on the trading block.

"'All I can say is,' Thompson said, 'you shouldn't believe everything you read on the Internet.'"

The more accurate message is this: You shouldn't believe anything that comes out of Ted Thompson's mouth. Ever.

retailguy
03-15-2007, 11:15 AM
FROM PFT:

MOSS DEAL CLOSE

The more accurate message is this: You shouldn't believe anything that comes out of Ted Thompson's mouth. Ever.

Quoted for truth...

packers11
03-15-2007, 11:15 AM
FROM PFT:

MOSS DEAL CLOSE

Quoted for truth...

HAHA I love that quote... Awww isn't T.T. such a little sneaky sewer rat :D

BallHawk
03-15-2007, 11:18 AM
Our GM is a lying, heartless bastard.

What more could we ask for?

gbpackfan
03-15-2007, 11:27 AM
What is TT suppose to do? Tell profootballtalk.com EVERYTHING that he is doing. Good for him. Lie away TT! Just make a move!

CaptainKickass
03-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Our GM is a lying, heartless bastard.

What more could we ask for?

You may call it being a "Lying Heartless Bastard" but most others will call it "spin" - as I have pointed out recently in another thread.

Captain Obvious says:

"You never know until you find out, and until you find out.......you never know."

packinpatland
03-15-2007, 11:33 AM
Boy, am I confused.

WHO exactly will be the backup QB, if indeed Rodgers is traded?

MJZiggy
03-15-2007, 11:35 AM
Ingle, baby!!

motife
03-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Ingle, baby!!

David Carr will probably either be cut or traded. His stats last year were very good, except in the win column.

lod01
03-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Trust me when I say you don't even want to imagine David Carr as a Packer.

BallHawk
03-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Trust me when I say you don't even want to imagine David Carr as a Packer.

You realize that he had the highest completion percentage of any QB in the league last year, right? Higher than Brady, Manning, Brees, everyone. He's actually pretty talented. He just isn't surrounded by good talent.

MadtownPacker
03-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Carr would be a great pick up if Rodgers is traded. He is a HUGE Favre fan and needs time on the bench to get over the shellshock from the Texans terrible OLine.

Spaulding
03-15-2007, 11:52 AM
Not just terrible line. Can you say Dayne/Gado/Lundy as their starting backfield by commitee last year? That's grim.

I wouldn't consider him Favre's future replacement necessarily but give him a year or two behind Favre as insurance and a decent line (I know Wist thinks otherwise about the status of our line but I'm optimistic they continue to improve) and he'd be at least a possibility for the future. Given he's likely to be cut the risk would be minimal.

BallHawk
03-15-2007, 11:58 AM
Not just terrible line. Can you say Dayne/Gado/Lundy as their starting backfield by commitee last year? That's grim.

I wouldn't consider him Favre's future replacement necessarily but give him a year or two behind Favre as insurance and a decent line (I know Wist thinks otherwise about the status of our line but I'm optimistic they continue to improve) and he'd be at least a possibility for the future. Given he's likely to be cut the risk would be minimal.

Well said.

HarveyWallbangers
03-15-2007, 12:08 PM
My oh my! Look what the Boston Herald has added to the story:

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=188664

However, one source close to Rodgers adamantly denied the rumor, saying, to his knowledge, the Raiders and Packers have not had substantive discussions.

The Boston Herald's source = Joe Arrigo?

BallHawk
03-15-2007, 12:10 PM
This whole thing is a mess.

HarveyWallbangers
03-15-2007, 12:18 PM
And now Bob Harlan is denying that a trade is imminent.

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070315/PKR01/70315079/1989

BTW, I don't like the idea of Bob Harlan and the Executive Committee nixing personnel moves. It got the Packers into a lot of trouble in the 70s and 80s. It wasn't until they gave Ron Wolf full control and stayed out of his affairs that we got back to the Super Bowl.

Scott Campbell
03-15-2007, 12:27 PM
It's not just nixing - I don't think he should be commenting on personnel moves at all.

Partial
03-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Bob Kohl?

Packnut
03-15-2007, 12:37 PM
I tend to believe Harlan that nothing is going on. I just can't see Thompson trading his qb.

Partial
03-15-2007, 12:38 PM
I tend to believe Harlan that nothing is going on. I just can't see Thompson trading his qb. I can, especially if he is gonna ride the pine another year or two.

Wolfe did that all the time. Though they weren't first rounders, but you don't get a lot of value out of a first round pick on the bench for the first three years of his career.

retailguy
03-15-2007, 12:42 PM
I tend to believe Harlan that nothing is going on. I just can't see Thompson trading his qb.

I think Thompson would trade his mother if the deal was right.

I have more of a problem believing he'd trade his 7th round pick. Seriously.

BENZITO
03-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Heard on 93.1 in minnesota at work that the moss deal was close to being finalized aswell, they seem angry that moss is going to their rivals :)

BlueBrewer
03-15-2007, 12:46 PM
I thought Harlan was retiring? Anyway why is he so vocal about stuff all of a sudden. I never remember him talking about stuff in the past.

woodbuck27
03-15-2007, 12:52 PM
The thing I don't like about this rumor is it's too good to be true, therefore it isn't.

Ted Thompson drafted Aaron Rodgers and we've been told over and over again that he's heir apparant to Brett Favre. OK. What else would we expect to hear on this matter? Yet would TT part with the franchise's future QB? I say no.

To suddenly trade Aaron Rodgers to Oakland in a move that would certainly help OUR 'O' for the immediate future ( getting not only Moss but a young and large target at TE )and take pressure off Favre to retire between now and the end of 2007 ($12 million released for more CAP space) would be a huge change in direction for OUR GM. Thus adding support that the rumor is baloney as well.

Now look at all the money that the rumored deal supposedly gurantee's Randy Moss.

That money added to the money it would tie up to go with Favre and Moss in 2007-08, doesn't fit the Ted Thompson plan to build via the draft nor demonstrate fiscal restraint by protecting the CAP.

To build more effectively via the draft ask yourself:

Does TT want OUR team to strengthen on 'O'?

The only way we ever land Randy Moss is if Oakland trades him and a high draft pick to us; NOT the other way around.

A deal for Moss would have to be offered that TT couldn't turn down or appear 'the fool'.

Rastak
03-15-2007, 12:52 PM
Heard on 93.1 in minnesota at work that the moss deal was close to being finalized aswell, they seem angry that moss is going to their rivals :)

I think it's funny as hell. You guys will REALLY dig some of the catches he makes, he's fun to watch. But then the negative stuff will hit, and it will become a love/hate thing just like with his last two teams. Actually he hasn't done much the last two years, he's always hurt so it was more of a hate/hate thing with the Raiders. I personally loved watching him in Minnesota, I know you guys always admired him.....LOL

Packnut
03-15-2007, 01:03 PM
The thing I don't like about this rumor is it's too good to be true, therefore it isn't.

Ted Thompson drafted Aaron Rodgers and we've been told over and over again that he's heir apparant to Brett Favre. OK. What else would we expect to hear on this matter? Yet would TT part with the franchise's future QB? I say no.

To suddenly trade Aaron Rodgers to Oakland in a move that would certainly help OUR 'O' for the immediate future ( getting not only Moss but a young and large target at TE )and take pressure off Favre to retire between now and the end of 2007 ($12 million released for more CAP space) would be a huge change in direction for OUR GM. Thus adding support that the rumor is baloney as well.

Now look at all the money that the rumored deal supposedly gurantee's Randy Moss.

That money added to the money it would tie up to go with Favre and Moss in 2007-08, doesn't fit the Ted Thompson plan to build via the draft nor demonstrate fiscal restraint by protecting the CAP.

To build more effectively via the draft ask yourself:

Does TT want OUR team to strengthen on 'O'?

The only way we ever land Randy Moss is if Oakland trades him and a high draft pick to us; NOT the other way around.

A deal for Moss would have to be offered that TT couldn't turn down or appear 'the fool'.

Yep, nothing about this proposed deal makes any sense. I can see KGB going in this trade but no way does it include Rodgers.

mmmdk
03-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Sorry guys but there's no news on the Moss trade from the Danish sports press...I think moss has grown into their brains :P I have a hunch that JP (the Jutland post - Danish newspaper) will break this one!

BRING ON MOSS ( I was right about getting rid of my Aaron Rodgers avatar - it's a sign people).

Fritz
03-15-2007, 01:21 PM
Here's an update - 1:20 pm central time:

By Rob Demovsky
rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

Bob Harlan, the Green Bay Packers’ chairman and CEO, said this morning it seemed unlikely that a trade to acquire receiver Randy Moss from Oakland was imminent.

Reached in his office, Harlan said he had not heard a Boston Herald report that quoted “a Wisconsin source” as saying the Packers and Raiders are on the verge of announcing a trade that would send Moss to the Packers for backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Harlan said he has not spoken with General Manager Ted Thompson since he left for a scouting trip on Tuesday afternoon.

“If (a trade) was that close, (Thompson) would have called us by now,” Harlan said.

Thompson presented his monthly report to the Packers’ board of directors during its regular meeting on Tuesday morning and then left town. He is not scheduled to return until Friday night.

The subject of Moss came up during Tuesday’s meeting, but Thompson didn’t indicate a deal was about to be made.

“No, not at all,” Harlan said. “And he would have told that group if it was that close.”

Thompson was not immediately available for comment.

The trade, according to the Herald’s source, would send Rodgers and a seventh-round draft pick in 2008 to the Raiders for Moss, tight end Courtney Anderson and a conditional 2009 draft pick that would depend on how well Rodgers played for the Raiders in 2007 and 2008.

Okay. It's patently false. Kill the damn rumor.

CaliforniaCheez
03-15-2007, 02:00 PM
The thing is a hoax, Always has been.
No one has ever confirmed anything.
The only one who has spoken on the record is Bus Cook.
His words were twisted and greatly exaggerated.

GBRulz
03-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Thompson: Moss trade talk is 'wild speculation'

By Rob Demovsky
rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

Ted Thompson, the Green Bay Packers’ general manager, this afternoon dismissed a report that a trade to acquire receiver Randy Moss from the Oakland Raiders was imminent, saying it was nothing more than “wild speculation.”

In a statement released by the team’s public relations department, Thompson said: “We dismiss this report as wild speculation.”

Bob Harlan, the Packers’ chairman and CEO, said this morning he was unaware of a Boston Herald report that quoted “a Wisconsin source” as saying the Packers and Raiders are on the verge of announcing a trade that would send Moss to the Packers for backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Harlan said he had not spoken with Thompson since the GM left for a scouting trip on Tuesday afternoon.

“If (a trade) was that close, (Thompson) would have called us by now,” Harlan said.
Thompson presented his monthly report to the Packers’ board of directors during its regular meeting on Tuesday morning and then left town. He is not scheduled to return until Friday night.

The subject of Moss came up during Tuesday’s meeting, but Thompson didn’t indicate a deal was about to be made.

“No, not at all,” Harlan said. “And he would have told that group if it was that close.”

The trade, according to the Herald’s source, would have the Packers sending Rodgers and a seventh-round draft pick in 2008 to the Raiders for Moss, tight end Courtney Anderson and a conditional 2009 draft pick that would depend on how well Rodgers played for the Raiders in 2007 and 2008.

packers11
03-15-2007, 02:32 PM
im so fu!king lost ... its so aggravating... CAN TT just say what the hell he is going to do...

GBRulz
03-15-2007, 02:34 PM
He did, he said "wild speculation". Which can mean, this rumor is 100% false. It can mean, this rumor is true. It's all speculation at this point.

TT was a politician in his former life.

BF4MVP
03-15-2007, 02:48 PM
He did, he said "wild speculation". Which can mean, this rumor is 100% false. It can mean, this rumor is true. It's all speculation at this point.

True. Calling it "wild speculation" is by no means denying it.

MJZiggy
03-15-2007, 02:50 PM
im so fu!king lost ... its so aggravating... CAN TT just say what the hell he is going to do...

Because then Davis reads his quote and gains bargaining power. The more confused you are, the more confused he is. Well, he's confused anyway, but he's still more shrewd than Millen so TT has to be a little sneaky. I like that in a GM.

HarveyWallbangers
03-15-2007, 02:52 PM
Sources: Deal for Moss not imminent
Bob McGinn, JSO

The Green Bay Packers and Oakland Raiders are not close to a trade in which the Packers would acquire wide receiver Randy Moss, NFL sources familiar with the situation told the Journal Sentinel today.

Officials from both teams labeled as inaccurate a report written by Michael Felger of the Boston Herald quoting a source in Wisconsin that the two teams "are on the verge of announcing a trade that would send the troubled wide receiver to Green Bay in exchange for backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers."

"It's all a joke," a personnel man for one of the two clubs said.

"It's not true," said another personnel man for one of the two teams. "That's just stupid."

Chevelle2
03-15-2007, 02:54 PM
for those sourcing TT "wild speculation" article, or harlan's "no trade is imminent" article.......they CANT say anything...it called TAMPERING

esoxx
03-15-2007, 02:56 PM
Well, since the media didn't have the Brett Favre retirement story this off-season, with the numerous errorenous reports that he was or wasn't leaving...seems this has taken up the void in the same breathless, moronic fashion.

packrulz
03-15-2007, 02:56 PM
I can't see TT doing this trade, it goes against his philosophy of building from within and through the draft. It also goes against Al Davis's nature. It's all bull.

MJZiggy
03-15-2007, 02:59 PM
for those sourcing TT "wild speculation" article, or harlan's "no trade is imminent" article.......they CANT say anything...it called TAMPERING

It's not tampering if TT has the Raiders' permission to be talking to him with a trade in mind...

Chevelle2
03-15-2007, 03:06 PM

It's not tampering if TT has the Raiders' permission to be talking to him with a trade in mind...

Oh really?

http://packerforum.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10315
This just in....

They interviewed the Boston Herald reporter who broke the story on the Madison's ESPN affiliate. He said his source has never been wrong and he fully expects denials until the deal is officially announced. By rule, they must deny it because of tampering. He also said it could be announced as early as tomorrow or it could be after the draft. He was born and raised in Milwaukee and that is how he has the Wisconsin source who he would not name.

red
03-15-2007, 03:10 PM

how the hell is it tampering?

its two teams (maybe) talking about a trade (maybe)

thats how every trade has ever been done

tampering would be green bay telling moss without the raiders knowing that he should throw a bitch fit so he gets released, then the pack would pick him up

HarveyWallbangers
03-15-2007, 03:14 PM
http://packerforum.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10315
This just in....

They interviewed the Boston Herald reporter who broke the story on the Madison's ESPN affiliate. He said his source has never been wrong and he fully expects denials until the deal is officially announced. By rule, they must deny it because of tampering. He also said it could be announced as early as tomorrow or it could be after the draft. He was born and raised in Milwaukee and that is how he has the Wisconsin source who he would not name.

Haven't we learned that believing everything somebody posts on a forum is dangerous to your health. There's a decent shot of a Moss trade happening. It wouldn't have been discussed in a meeting between Thompson and the Packers board. I have serious doubts that, if it does, it will look anything like the Herald article reports (Rodgers and pick(s) for Moss and Courtney Anderson). We'll see how close the final deal is to what actually transpires.

Lurker64
03-15-2007, 03:15 PM

While I wouldn't mind TT telling me personally what he's going to do, I would certainly mind TT telling the other 31 teams in the NFL what he's going to do. It's commonly known trait of all NFL GMs who are at least semi-competent that anything they say between the end of their team's season and the start of training camp has a good chance of being an out and out lie to help out the team in the draft, in a trade, or in free agency.

gbpackfan
03-15-2007, 03:16 PM
ESPN radio in Madisons Heller & Keller spoke with the reporter for the Boston Herald and he stands behind his article and his source. He also said this is exactly what happened when they reported Shell being fired and everyone denied it.

Got this off the old JS online Packer forum. I'll say this, he's DEAD ON about Art Shell. The Raiders denied it over and over and then, BAM! It is getting exciting. Almost too exciting.

BooHoo
03-15-2007, 03:48 PM
Hope we get the real story soon. I hate the up-in-the-air stuff.

packrulz
03-15-2007, 03:53 PM
There could be something to this rumor, maybe TT isn't that thrilled with Rogers anyway and could get rid of him and beef up the offense at the same time. If this goes down, I'll be happy with it, as long as he doesn't have to give up a high draft pick. The mooning incident doesn't bother me, it was kind of funny really.

BooHoo
03-15-2007, 04:02 PM
T2 and M3 might think Rodgers is expendable.

Joemailman
03-15-2007, 05:07 PM

True. Calling it "wild speculation" is by no means denying it.

TT could have said the Packers are not pursuing a trade for Randy Moss. He did not. The trade may never happen, but there is some thing going on.

Scott Campbell
03-15-2007, 05:12 PM
While I wouldn't mind TT telling me personally what he's going to do, I would certainly mind TT telling the other 31 teams in the NFL what he's going to do.

Hmmm. Could that be why the Japanese didn't announce their attack on Pearl Harbor?

gbpackfan
03-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Just listening to Felger on his radio show and he said that HE TRUSTS THE INFO HE WAS GIVEN. He did say that the trade might not be imminet but believes the trade WILL happen.

LaFours
03-16-2007, 11:12 AM
I just wanted to make sure we didn't lose one of our Randy Moss threads to the second page...or bump.

Fritz
03-16-2007, 11:17 AM
This is so much sludge. The essence of the article was that the trade was imminent. Imminent. Now, when it's obvious the trade is NOT imminent - there is no press conference announced, Harlan has shot the thing down - the people responsible backpedal and say um, we meant that the trade is going to happen. We don't know when, just that something's up. So that's what we meant and we stand by that.

No shit. Everybody knows that the Packers are interested. So the article is in fact wrong.

No more Moss commentary from me until either the trade happens or until April 1, whichever comes first.

CaliforniaCheez
03-16-2007, 11:18 AM
Is the trade deadline week 7 on the season??

If Moss is not cut the hoax can die then until the following February.
If he is cut, the hoax will be permanent.

retailguy
03-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Is the trade deadline week 7 on the season??

If Moss is not cut the hoax can die then until the following February.
If he is cut, the hoax will be permanent.

I can't imagine he'd be cut. Whether he has the worth of his contract or not, he still has value. Also, Davis won't admit a mistake of that magnitude either.

I'll bet if he's still a Raider, he sits, just like Marcus Allen did.