PDA

View Full Version : One man's ranking of the top five RB's in the NFL draft

woodbuck27
03-15-2007, 01:13 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/10058205

Vic's picks: Top 5 running backs in draft

By Vic Carucci
National Editor, NFL.com

(March 13, 2007) -- One man's ranking of the top five running backs in the NFL draft:

1. Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma (Underclassman)

Positives: Size (6-foot-1-plus, 217 pounds) and strength ... Aggressive, physical running style ... Although he is mostly an upright runner, he does a nice job of lowering his shoulders to get good lean when powering his way between the tackles ... Will run over smaller defensive ends and outside linebackers who attempt to bring him down on outside runs ... Despite limited involvement in the passing game, he shows good receiving skills and has the explosiveness to generate substantial gains after the catch.

Negatives: Inability to stay healthy throughout his college career, which is mostly the result of taking too many hits because of his upright running style ... Ball security ... Doesn't have tremendous burst to the outside ... Needs to work on pass-protection.

2. Marshawn Lynch, California (Underclassman)

Marshawn Lynch had 3,830 all-purpose yards and 35 TDs in three years at California.
Positives: Quick, agile and explosive to the outside ... Strong, physical running style ... Able to withstand punishment and fight through would-be tacklers for extra yards ... Durable and tough, as evidenced by the fact he battled to overcome an ankle injury and was still effective during the 2006 season.

Negatives: Needs to work on running pass routes and catching the ball ... Has plenty of room for improvement in pass protection, especially when it comes to aggressiveness.

3. Kenny Irons, Auburn

Positives: Outstanding athlete with tremendous acceleration and elusiveness ... Excellent vision and instincts. ...Consistently hard runner ... Receiving skills and ability to make big gains after the catch ... Blitz recognition and pass-blocking.

Negatives: Durability; couldn't stay healthy enough to start for a full season, including his senior year when he was bothered by ankle and leg injuries ... Must add bulk to his smallish, 5-10-plus, 203-pound frame ... Needs to run with more body lean to improve his ability to withstand contact.

4. Antonio Pittman, Ohio State (Underclassman)

Positives: Outstanding athleticism ... Runs effectively between the tackles but also shows good outside burst ... Makes sharp, well-timed cuts ... Patient runner who will wait for blocks to set up ... Good receiving skills and explosive enough to make strong gains after the catch ... Displays greater strength and toughness than one might expect from a back with a 5-10-plus, 207-pound frame.

Negatives: Needs to add bulk and strength ... Pass-protection ... Route-running.

5. Michael Bush, Louisville

Positives: Size (6-1-plus, 243 pounds) and strength ... Follows blockers well. …Surprising quickness and agility for his size ... Pass-protection.

Negatives: Durability; still rehabilitating a broken leg suffered during Louisville's '06 season-opener ... Upright running style exposes him to too much contact ... Too much hesitation when he doesn't find an immediate opening ... Limited big-play ability.

woodbuck27
03-16-2007, 09:12 AM
Does anyone see an answer for OUR needs at RB among these five, given that A. Peterson will be drafted early?

I'm thinking that TT will draft on 'D' at 16 or trade down.

PackerPro42
03-16-2007, 09:52 AM
Does anyone see an answer for OUR needs at RB among these five, given that A. Peterson will be drafted early?

Depending on what happens with Moss, I expect him to take Lynch with the 16th pick (supposing he's there) and then a saftey or corner in the second.

BallHawk
03-16-2007, 10:04 AM
If we got Kenny Irons in the 2nd round I would be a happy man. :D

LL2
03-16-2007, 10:31 AM

I wouldn’t mind that either, but where it says he can’t stay healthy scares me. Bush sounds like he would be a good pick up in the second also, but isn’t an upright running style not suited for ZBS?

retailguy
03-16-2007, 10:38 AM

Quite honestly, that's probably more likely than Lynch in the 1st, but no reasonable way to predict it...

BallHawk
03-16-2007, 10:41 AM

I wouldn’t mind that either, but where it says he can’t stay healthy scares me. Bush sounds like he would be a good pick up in the second also, but isn’t an upright running style not suited for ZBS?

Bush is probably too big of a back to work in the ZBS. Perhaps TT may be a little bit turned off Marshawn Lynch by his upright running style. I remember reading a few articles saying that Lynch's upright running style may hurt him in the draft.

I really don't know why everyone is scared of Irons because of his health. He played every single game in the 2005 season and only missed two games in the 2006 season. He was banged up for a lot of those games, sure, but he still averaged 4.8 Yards Per Carry. Auburn has a history of success with RB, Cadillac Williams, Ronnie Brown, Bo Jackson to name a few. This may sound crazy, but Kenny Irons may very well be known, down the road, as the best RB to come out of this draft.

woodbuck27
03-16-2007, 11:13 AM
Have the Packers ever had brothers playing on the team in any season?

See RB Kenny Irons and CB David Irons (brothers) fr. Auburn.

Both of these players could be third round picks.

BallHawk
03-16-2007, 11:17 AM
Unless Kenny Irons stock drops a lot, I don't think he'll be there in the 3rd. I'm not even sure if he'll be there at #46.

It's possible we could draft his brother in the 3rd, though.

woodbuck27
03-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Unless Kenny Irons stock drops a lot, I don't think he'll be there in the 3rd. I'm not even sure if he'll be there at #46.

It's possible we could draft his brother in the 3rd, though.

OK

Your wish is for RB Kenny Irons at pick number 47.

BallHawk
03-16-2007, 11:35 AM
I think he would be a bargain in the 2nd round. Would I die and say TT was a moron if he passed on Irons? Of course not. It's a stupid thing to become so emotionally attached to a player that if he doesn't go to your team it ruins your whole draft. There are other players, besides Irons, that we could get in round 2 that could really help our team. However, if I could choose one, it'd be Irons.

bigcoz75
03-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Bush is probably too big of a back to work in the ZBS. Perhaps TT may be a little bit turned off Marshawn Lynch by his upright running style. I remember reading a few articles saying that Lynch's upright running style may hurt him in the draft.

I'd look for Bush to be gone at 44 joining his old coach Petrino in Atlanta.

To me Irons is too similar to Morency to be an effective one/two.

I like Tony Hunt nothing flashy just a strong runner who will get you the tough yards.

K-town
03-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Auburn has a history of success with RB, Cadillac Williams, Ronnie Brown, Bo Jackson to name a few. This may sound crazy, but Kenny Irons may very well be known, down the road, as the best RB to come out of this draft.

Not to pee on your parade, but don't forget Brent Fullwood and James Bostic also came out of Auburn.
But in general, I agree with you. Auburn has a great tradition of NFL-caliber running backs.

Merlin
03-16-2007, 02:53 PM
If AP isn't there, you don't pick one of the other ones. The draft class is weak at RB with the acception of AP.

falco
03-16-2007, 08:43 PM
If AP isn't there, you don't pick one of the other ones. The draft class is weak at RB with the acception of AP.

thats okay, we'll just have to sign a RB in the opening days of free agency then... :roll:

PackerPro42
03-16-2007, 08:59 PM

I disagree with you on this one. The RB class is not extremely weak and there's a good chance that the Packers will get one of the top 3 RB's. Obviously if AP is gone I would prefer Lynch, but Irons would be acceptable if he was there in the second or third round. The thing I don't like is when you people read one scouting report on a guy and come to a conclusion that he's a piece of shit. Most scouting reports on Lynch are incredibly unresearched and show that what the person is saying is completly unreliable. For instance this scouting report says that Lynch is weak catching the ball and needs to work better on his route running skills. When in fact receiving is one of Lynch's strenghts. My guess is that this guy's scouting reports came after watching the player's bowl games and maybe one other game they played. I'll be the first to admit that Lynch did not look at his best in his bowl game, but he still racked up over a 100 yards and I can't remember exactly but I believe he ran for two TD's. And although he ran a 4.46, Lynch is a hell of a lot more explosive and shifty than Irons is. And he is a lot stronger in the passing game than Irons.

I'm not completley apposed to Irons, but I would much rather have Lynch. And I would prefer that you don't jump to conclusions after reading a couple scouting reports on a player.

That's all I have to say for now.

Joemailman
03-16-2007, 09:16 PM
If TT trades for Moss, he will likely be looking to trade down in 1st round, especially if he has to give up a draft pick for Moss. In that scenario, Irons would be a great second round pick. His vision and instincts are the most important traits to have in this system.

bigcoz75
03-17-2007, 11:08 AM
I stand with my pick of Tony Hunt although not he's not listed in this top 5. The guy is productive and reliable. Not only a good runner but a solid receiver as well.
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/rb/tonyhunt.html
Official Bio

Strengths:
Has great size with a solid frame...Displays outstanding balance...A strong and powerful runner who will deliver a blow and fall forward...Has good hands and can help out in the passing game...A reliable blocker...Durable and the type who gets stronger as the game goes on...Was very productive throughout his career.

Weaknesses:
Lacks elite timed speed and quickness...Won't break off many long runs...Not very shifty and won't make people miss...Vision is somewhat questionable and he will misread some blocks...Will struggle to get outside and turn the corner in the NFL.

Notes:
A classic North / South guy who does everything well but nothing great...Saved the best for last and had his best season as a senior...Is not very flashy but he gets the job done and could develop into an adequate starter at the next level.
Career Statistics
Year GP Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds TD
2003 10 34 110 3.2 1 2 0 0
2004 11 169 777 4.6 7 39 334 0
2005 12 174 1,047 6.0 6 20 206 0
2006 13 277 1,386 5.0 11 27 259 3
Totals 46 654 3,320 5.1 25 88 799 3

Video:
Powerful runner see at the one minute mark vs. Wisconsin.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jFt_N9MLJu8

Patler
03-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Have the Packers ever had brothers playing on the team in any season?

Almost...

Bob Jeter (DB 1963-1970) had a brother (I think), Tony, who was in camp as a WR/TE a couple seasons. He played some, I believe for Pittsburgh later on. I am virtually positive they were brothers, or at least half-brothers or something.

Bretsky
03-17-2007, 11:37 AM

IMO AP is a step above Lynch and Lynch is a step above the next three.

Lynch could be a pretty good #1 with Morency spelling him. The next three may be better than Morency as well.

Don't know if anybody saw this, but Correll Buckholter, a guy who intrigued me when healthy, did resign with the Philadelphia Eagles yesterday so there goes another RB off the free agency board.

B

bigcoz75
03-17-2007, 05:01 PM
Ok more on Hunt
http://www.newerascouting.com/index.php?c=18&a=17

Comments
Athletic Ability

Hunt does not have elite speed or quickness for the position, but he is an effective runner because of his outstanding strength and power.
Character

Has no known character concerns.
Competitive Nature/Leadership Ability

He never takes a play off, fights for every yard, and always runs hard. Seems to get stronger as games progress. Not a big vocal leader.
Football Intelligence

Is a very experienced player who does everything well as a running back, including catching the football and pass blocking.
Size

Hunt possesses excellent height and bulk for a back of his style.
Toughness/Durability

Displays great toughness and has had few injury problems despite his running style. Only significant problem was an ankle injury that sidelined him for almost all of the 2006 Orange Bowl.
Work Ethic

Has continued to improve since his freshman season and always gives maximum effort on the field.

Position Specific Traits
Trait

Comments
Ball Protection

Has improved in this area but still has too many lapses and is prone to fumbling at times.
Elusiveness/Feet

Will not make many people miss when he gets into the open field, but he has deceptive elusiveness and good balance when running between the tackles.
Pass Catching

Is an excellent receiver who led Penn State in receptions in 2004 and is very reliable as an outlet out of the backfield. Has had a lot of success on screens and shovel passes.
Pass Blocking

Is a tough and willing blocker who displayed good technique early on his career, helping him land the starting job over star recruit Austin Scott.
Power

Runs hard with excellent strength and power. Rarely goes down after first contact, always keeps his legs driving, and frequently punishes tacklers who can't bring him down.
Speed

Lacks breakaway speed and is not able to turn the corner consistently. Has good burst through holes to allow him to have success up the middle.
Vision

Has very good vision between the tackles. Displays patience and has good burst through the hole.

General Comments:
Hunt is a patient and powerful back who runs with a hard-nosed style. He rarely goes down after first contact and will always fight for extra yards. He is an asset in the passing game as both a receiver and blocker, and although he won't make many big plays, he is a reliable runner who consistently picks up positive yardage and gets better as games go on.

Injury Concerns:
Missed most of the 2006 Orange Bowl due to a sprained ankle that took longer than normal to heal.

Reminds You Of:
Steven Jackson, St. Louis Rams

Projected Round:
2nd
:D :D :D

BallHawk
03-17-2007, 05:14 PM
If we couldn't get Irons, Hunt would be my second choice.

I also like Antonio Pittman out of OSU.

The Leaper
03-17-2007, 11:28 PM
I wouldn't mind trading down and winding up with Pittman. I think Pittman would be an excellent back for our system...and one who is under the radar because of the tremendous passing game OSU had this year.

IMO, Pittman is as good as Lynch...and can be had for cheaper.

Bretsky
03-17-2007, 11:35 PM
I wouldn't mind trading down and winding up with Pittman. I think Pittman would be an excellent back for our system...and one who is under the radar because of the tremendous passing game OSU had this year.

IMO, Pittman is as good as Lynch...and can be had for cheaper.

gosh you guys are a bunch of Lynch bashers.

HW is a OSU fanatic and has not raved much about Pittman so I adhere to his judgment on that one

The Leaper
03-17-2007, 11:43 PM
I was at the Holiday Bowl this year. Lynch was not all that impressive to me. He worked behind a very good OL...his backup looked just as productive in that game. I think any reasonably talented RB would've put up big numbers in the Cal offense.

I'm in Columbus...so I've also seen plenty of Pittman. I will admit he wasn't overly impressive in his career as a Buckeye...but I think his intangibles better fit in the scheme and system Green Bay is crafting. He was too small for the power running game favored at Ohio State.

Bretsky
12-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Are Kenny Irons or Pittman in the NFL anymore ?

JohnMexico
12-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Was pittman EVER in the NFL? And I am a goddamn Buckeye fan.

Joemailman
12-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Are Kenny Irons or Pittman in the NFL anymore ?

Irons tore his ACL in his first preseason game. He was waived the following summer. I don't think he ever played again.

Bretsky
12-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Was pittman EVER in the NFL? And I am a goddamn Buckeye fan.

I think the Rams picked up Pittman and he was Jackson's backup for a year. I think he floated onto the Saints for a bit; he just wasn't good enough I guess

smuggler
12-04-2011, 01:59 AM
Shame we didn't end up with Peterson. With his fumbling habbit, he would have been an apt replacement for ol' Ahman.

sheepshead
12-04-2011, 07:13 AM
I love looking back on how the nfl draft is the most highly overrated event in all of sports and also the biggest crap shoot in sports.

Joemailman
12-04-2011, 07:42 AM
Shame we didn't end up with Peterson. With his fumbling habbit, he would have been an apt replacement for ol' Ahman.

True. The great ones fumble a lot because they don't go down as easily. However, I don't think AP and Ahman were even in Payton's or Dorsett's class when it comes to fumbling.