View Full Version : Bob McGinn : "It's all a joke" re: Moss trade

motife
03-15-2007, 06:02 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=578111

Packers, Raiders not close on Moss trade, sources say
By BOB MCGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
Posted: March 15, 2007
Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers and Oakland Raiders are not close to a trade in which the Packers would acquire wide receiver Randy Moss, NFL sources familiar with the situation told the Journal Sentinel today.

Officials from both teams labeled as inaccurate a report written by Michael Felger of the Boston Herald quoting a source in Wisconsin that the two teams "are on the verge of announcing a trade that would send the troubled wide receiver to Green Bay in exchange for backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers."

"It's all a joke," a personnel man for one of the two clubs said.

"It's not true," said another personnel man for one of the two teams. "That's just stupid."

Felger, who covers the New England Patriots, is a native of Wisconsin and has friends in the state. His four-paragraph story appeared on the Herald Web site at mid-morning. Later, Felger added a paragraph indicating that a source close to Rodgers adamantly denied his report.

The Raiders rated Rodgers over Alex Smith before the 2005 draft. The only quarterback on their roster is Andrew Walter. Obviously, they need quarterbacks.

But earlier in the week an NFL source with knowledge of the Raiders told the Journal Sentinel that he doubted the team would have interest in Rodgers.

On Feb. 28, the Journal Sentinel reported that the two teams had been discussing Moss for a considerable length of time. On Tuesday, the Journal Sentinel reported that Packers GM Ted Thompson had spoken to Raiders owner Al Davis about a deal for Moss, and that the Raiders were confident about their ability to obtain a draft choice for Moss.

In the last few days, however, other NFL sources said that Thompson is inclined just to wait out Davis with the expectation that the Raiders either will release Moss or trade him to Green Bay for a mid-to-late round draft choice.

Rodgers, a first-round draft choice in 2005, hasn't been impressive during two training camps and two appearances in the regular season. Also, in November, he suffered a broken left foot, an injury from which he apparently now is fully recovered.

Still, the Packers not only don't have another viable backup to Brett Favre, they also have no heir apparent. They definitely want to see more of Rodgers as they determine whether he can play.

The Packers probably wouldn't give up Rodgers to any team in exchange for a player that they seem convinced they can get on the cheap later on.

Thompson was on the road in Georgia on a scouting trip and unavailable for comment.

Jimx29
03-15-2007, 06:08 PM
what all these stories need are more "personnel men", and other "unnamed sources" :roll:

gbpackfan
03-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Hmmmm, interesting. I still think a trade is very likely but one that does not include Gay-Rod.

Kiwon
03-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Yeah, but I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who knows an unnamed source whose big toe on his left foot itches when trade rumors become trade facts. I can't mention his name but suffice to say that "I'm Randy, the center of the universe, Moss" wearing green and gold is a done deal.

This stuff is soap operas for males. Stick to the WWF. :wink:

Scott Campbell
03-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Here's your un-named source:

http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/webpics/Miss_Cleo.jpg

motife
03-15-2007, 06:31 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=1655&line=90907&spln=1

Report: No Moss deal imminent
Randy Moss - WR - OAK - Mar. 15 - 7:05 pm et
NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the Randy Moss-to-Packers trade will not happen by this weekend.
Schefter's report that no trade is imminent aligns with the comments Packers CEO Bob Harlan and GM Ted Thompson made Thursday. The deal is on hold, and may remain that way right up until the NFL Draft. Mar. 15 - 7:05 pm et

Kiwon
03-15-2007, 07:43 PM

Tell me, Miss Cleo, I'm just dying to know. What are the chances of Randy Moss' name appearing in the Packer Ring of Honor at Lambeau Field?

Rastak
03-15-2007, 07:49 PM

Tell me, Miss Cleo, I'm just dying to know. What are the chances of Randy Moss' name appearing in the Packer Ring of Honor at Lambeau Field?

Based on the reaction of the forum members, it'll be there as soon as the trade goes through....... :lol:

CaliforniaCheez
03-15-2007, 07:50 PM
This is the same reliable Bob McGinn who worte this article on February 27th

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=571398

Sources close to the situation said the Packers had explored trading for Moss, the temperamental former Minnesota Viking who once pretended to moon the crowd at Lambeau Field.

The two teams have had preliminary dialogue but at this point the Packers consider Moss to be an economically unfeasible solution to their need for another receiver alongside Donald Driver and Greg Jennings.

And this article on the 13th:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=576312

At some point this morning, Ted Thompson will make his monthly presentation to his bosses at the Green Bay Packers and the subject of his keen interest in acquiring Oakland wide receiver Randy Moss undoubtedly will top the agenda.

At that time, chairman of the board Bob Harlan, President John Jones and six members of the executive committee will hear details from Thompson regarding his plan to add Moss, and the general manager will learn what management has to say about the raging debate in Packer Nation.

Sources have said the two teams have been discussing Moss for more than a month. On Monday, a source familiar with the inner workings of both organizations said Thompson had spoken directly with Raiders owner Al Davis about dealing for Moss.

"They're going to get rid of him," the source said. "I think they think they can trade him. And I know Green Bay has interest."

Thompson refuses to discuss Moss, and Davis always operates under a veil of secrecy. Tim DiPiero, the agent for Moss, was unavailable for comment.

Bob, who are these sources? Will you rely on them in the future?
What is your relationship with the Packers now Bob?

esoxx
03-15-2007, 08:54 PM
McGinn's plugged in to a lot of personnel people in the league. I guess I'd be more apt to believe his info and sources than "Patty from Packer Chatters". :lol:

retailguy
03-15-2007, 08:58 PM
McGinn's plugged in to a lot of personnel people in the league. I guess I'd be more apt to believe his info and sources than "Patty from Packer Chatters". :lol:

Nah, I believe Patty. She said that Ahman Green was old and washed up. She also said Houston overpaid. She is related to Miss Cleo.

Freak Out
03-15-2007, 09:00 PM

Tell me Miss Cleo, does this look infected to you?

Son of a bitch...its Moss mania out there!

Kiwon
03-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Personally, I think someone should commission a bronze statue of Randy Moss mooning the Packer faithful, place it on ground level in the parking lot of Lambeau, and then let the fans have fun posing with it for the next 30 years.

The parking lot is about as close as I want Moss to the frozen tundra.

retailguy
03-15-2007, 10:40 PM

Oakland works just fine for me.

Kiwon
03-15-2007, 10:45 PM
ditto

CaliforniaCheez
03-15-2007, 11:54 PM

Not in my neighborhood!!

Kiwon
03-16-2007, 01:41 AM

Not in my neighborhood!!

What? Oakland's got enough Bloods, Crips, and MS 13?

woodbuck27
03-16-2007, 08:36 AM
'' The two teams have had preliminary dialogue but at this point the Packers consider Moss to be an economically unfeasible solution to their need for another receiver alongside Donald Driver and Greg Jennings.'' CaliforniaCheez

That is . . .the rest of the story.

That will be . . .the end of the story.

CaliforniaCheez
03-17-2007, 09:10 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=578111

Packers, Raiders not close on Moss trade, sources say
By BOB MCGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
Posted: March 15, 2007
Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers and Oakland Raiders are not close to a trade in which the Packers would acquire wide receiver Randy Moss, NFL sources familiar with the situation told the Journal Sentinel today.

Officials from both teams labeled as inaccurate a report written by Michael Felger of the Boston Herald quoting a source in Wisconsin that the two teams "are on the verge of announcing a trade that would send the troubled wide receiver to Green Bay in exchange for backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers."

"It's all a joke," a personnel man for one of the two clubs said.

"It's not true," said another personnel man for one of the two teams. "That's just stupid."

Felger, who covers the New England Patriots, is a native of Wisconsin and has friends in the state. His four-paragraph story appeared on the Herald Web site at mid-morning. Later, Felger added a paragraph indicating that a source close to Rodgers adamantly denied his report.

The Raiders rated Rodgers over Alex Smith before the 2005 draft. The only quarterback on their roster is Andrew Walter. Obviously, they need quarterbacks.

But earlier in the week an NFL source with knowledge of the Raiders told the Journal Sentinel that he doubted the team would have interest in Rodgers.

On Feb. 28, the Journal Sentinel reported that the two teams had been discussing Moss for a considerable length of time.

On Tuesday, the Journal Sentinel reported that Packers GM Ted Thompson had spoken to Raiders owner Al Davis about a deal for Moss[Again a McGinn article said only "[i]a source familiar with the inner workings of both organizations said Thompson had spoken directly with Raiders owner Al Davis about dealing for Moss."], and that the Raiders were confident about their ability to obtain a draft choice for Moss.[Taht is not true check the linked story in my previous thread]

In the last few days, however, other NFL sources said that Thompson is inclined just to wait out Davis with the expectation that the Raiders either will release Moss or trade him to Green Bay for a mid-to-late round draft choice.

Rodgers, a first-round draft choice in 2005, hasn't been impressive during two training camps and two appearances in the regular season. Also, in November, he suffered a broken left foot, an injury from which he apparently now is fully recovered.

Still, the Packers not only don't have another viable backup to Brett Favre, they also have no heir apparent. They definitely want to see more of Rodgers as they determine whether he can play.

The Packers probably wouldn't give up Rodgers to any team in exchange for a player that they seem convinced they can get on the cheap later on.

Thompson was on the road in Georgia on a scouting trip and unavailable for comment.

One or 2 sources really with the help of some journalists really had the story overblown.