PDA

View Full Version : Barry on the Block?

KYPack
03-16-2007, 08:51 AM
JSO article speculates that Kevin Barry might be on the trading block becasue he's a poor fit in the ZBS. I have always felt a little sorry for Kevin, his career was mangled by a couple different Packer regimes....

Kevin Barry, the forgotten member of the Green Bay Packers' offensive line, is nearing full health but might not be with the organization in 2007.
The Packers have begun having exploratory talks with National Football League teams about trading Barry for a draft choice, an NFL club executive said.
General manager Ted Thompson has the Packers' own seven picks, an extra seventh-round choice from the New York Jets and no chance of being awarded a compensatory pick. He is always seeking additional choices and dealing Barry from a fairly well-stocked position would be one way to do it.
"I don't know about that," Thompson said. "I suppose theoretically we'd consider trading just about anybody. But we don't make a lot of trades."
In 26 months on the job, Thompson has consummated five trades involving players.
Born and raised in Racine, the 27-year-old Barry suffered a torn quadriceps muscle in minicamp last year and underwent season-ending surgery May 26. He spent much of the winter in Phoenix working out and rehabilitating with trainer Brett Fischer.
His agent, Russell Wittman, said Barry was ahead of schedule and has lost 14 pounds in the last five weeks.
"They want to get him lighter than he's ever been before if he plays guard," Wittman said. "He was inactive for a good five months. He couldn't do hardly anything except upper-body workouts."
If Barry returns to full strength, he would try to find a berth in a unit that includes Chad Clifton, Mark Tauscher, Tony Moll and Josh Bourke at tackle and Daryn Colledge, Jason Spitz and Tony Palmer at guard. Junius Coston and Tyson Walter can play all three positions.
The problem for Barry is that his style of blocking probably isn't a good fit for the zone running scheme. Barry, 6 feet 4 inches and about 340 pounds, is a massive mauler in a system that favors lean, athletic linemen.
Some teams in the league, including Atlanta, Dallas and Washington, still prefer bulk. Those are the teams that the Packers will attempt to interest in Barry when he regains full health.
"We haven't talked about (a trade) at all," Wittman said. "It hasn't gotten to that point. We've been talking to the O-line coaches and they seem to think there's an opportunity for Kevin to still earn the starting position there. They seem to be stressing guard but they haven't gotten rid of him playing tackle as well."
Last March, on the eve of free agency, Barry signed a two-year, $2.79 million deal that in 2006 contained a $600,000 signing bonus and $600,000 roster bonus. His '07 contract, which contains a $910,000 base salary, would be simple to trade.
Barry started the final three-regular season games for the injured Tauscher and Earl Dotson in 2002 as a rookie but never started another game. He played 19% of the snaps in 2003, 16% in '04 and 19% in '05 mainly as an extra tight end in the "U-71" package that went into mothballs with the firing of coach Mike Sherman.
On Monday, Barry is to report for the start of the off-season workout program as though he's in the Packers' plans.
"They haven't disclosed anything to me at this point," Wittman said. "We've talked to some other people that have definitely expressed some interest. That if something were to come up they'd definitely want to be notified."

Fritz
03-16-2007, 09:10 AM
Whaddya think we can get for this guy? a fifth round pick, maybe?

BooHoo
03-16-2007, 09:15 AM
A fifth round pick seems high to me. More like a 6th or 7th.

Fritz
03-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Well, given that two teams with interest in a mauling-type of lineman are Dallas (Jerry Jones) and Washington (Daniel Snyder), I guess I'm hoping Ted can maybe snooker one of them.

retailguy
03-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Whaddya think we can get for this guy? a fifth round pick, maybe?

How about a Tight End or a fullback? Backup Safety? Lunch for the team?

KYPack
03-16-2007, 09:29 AM
A 5th would be a done deal.

TT would probably take a 7 if that's all he can get.

I think we oughta keep Kevin, he could back-up both T spots with good coaching, we could use that.

Kiwon
03-16-2007, 09:31 AM
Keep him and bring back U-71 for old times sake.

GBRulz
03-16-2007, 09:49 AM
I can't get that J Lo song "Jenny on the block" out of my head now. Thanks KY

BallHawk
03-16-2007, 10:03 AM
Used to have a little, now I have a lot....

HarveyWallbangers
03-16-2007, 10:22 AM
Well, given that two teams with interest in a mauling-type of lineman are Dallas (Jerry Jones) and Washington (Daniel Snyder), I guess I'm hoping Ted can maybe snooker one of them.

Dallas has two good OTs and Washington has two great OTs.

ahaha
03-16-2007, 10:37 AM
Atlanta, under Petrino, wants to change to a big mauler type O-Line. Maybe we can trade straight up for one of their ZBS type lineman. Add some needed depth.

Fritz
03-16-2007, 10:41 AM

Dallas has two good OTs and Washington has two great OTs.

That's why it would be a snookering. Besides, hasn't Barry played guard?

HarveyWallbangers
03-16-2007, 11:07 AM
I'd take a 7th round pick for him. He doesn't fit the system. No need to get greedy. We are talking about a career backup who missed last season with an injury.

Fritz
03-16-2007, 11:11 AM
It seems clear he's not a "fit" in this system, so I would agree that if a seventh is all TT can get, then it's a good move. I guess I'm being unrealistic, like those crazed fans who say things like "I think the Packers should trade their first and second round pick to move up to the fourth pick and take Calvin Johnson." Yeah, right.

My bad. I'll humbly take a seventh for Barry.

HarveyWallbangers
03-16-2007, 11:18 AM
You could be right, Fritz, but I thought I'd temper your expectations.
:D

retailguy
03-16-2007, 11:56 AM
It seems clear he's not a "fit" in this system, so I would agree that if a seventh is all TT can get, then it's a good move. I guess I'm being unrealistic, like those crazed fans who say things like "I think the Packers should trade their first and second round pick to move up to the fourth pick and take Calvin Johnson." Yeah, right.

My bad. I'll humbly take a seventh for Barry.

If only it would come that cheaply! Now that would be a steal!

Fritz
03-16-2007, 02:14 PM
You could be right, Fritz, but I thought I'd temper your expectations.
:D

Hey, my wife says that to me all the time!

Merlin
03-16-2007, 02:31 PM
I don't recall Barry every showing us very much accept in the U-71 package and the last time I checked, it isn't in our play book. I don't think losing him is going to affect anything. He was out in 2006 and I don't think he would have made a difference even if he was healthy.

ND72
03-16-2007, 02:47 PM
I don't recall Barry every showing us very much accept in the U-71 package and the last time I checked, it isn't in our play book. I don't think losing him is going to affect anything. He was out in 2006 and I don't think he would have made a difference even if he was healthy.

U-71 = Mike Sherman = Texans making a call.

Merlin
03-16-2007, 02:49 PM
More then likely! Either that or Minnesota, they showed last year that their Oline is crap and THEY SIGN A BACKUP CENTER TO A MULTI MILLION DOLLAR DEAL!!! Barry could probably get 5 Mil a season from them!

esoxx
03-16-2007, 10:44 PM
I still don't understand why TT re-signed Barry given his unsuitability for the ZBS. They already had M3 & Jags on board and it was no secret what scheme they intended to use. Just really odd.

Merlin
03-17-2007, 05:57 PM
Well maybe him slimming down and the fact that he supposedly was having a good camp before the injury had something to do with it. I always liked the guy but he certainly didn't fit in the starting line pre-McCarthy so maybe there is something there we aren't seeing.

KYPack
03-17-2007, 08:43 PM
I still don't understand why TT re-signed Barry given his unsuitability for the ZBS. They already had M3 & Jags on board and it was no secret what scheme they intended to use. Just really odd.

I like guys like Kevin that play their way into the league. I never understood why they didn't give him a shot at guard in '05 when we didn't have any. (Oh NOOO, now the "Sherman was a God" Squad will attack me.)

The old U71 put the big guy on the map, but in the end, Shermie's reluctance to use him anywhere else retarded his progress.

Kevin has worked his way back, let's keep him as a back-up at 2 -3 positions.

Patler
03-17-2007, 10:24 PM

I like guys like Kevin that play their way into the league. I never understood why they didn't give him a shot at guard in '05 when we didn't have any. (Oh NOOO, now the "Sherman was a God" Squad will attack me.)

The old U71 put the big guy on the map, but in the end, Shermie's reluctance to use him anywhere else retarded his progress.

It would be nice to have him for 3rd and 1 or first and goal inside the 5 situations, wouldn't it?

Joemailman
03-17-2007, 11:17 PM

How dare you suggest that Barry could have done a better job than Will Whitticker. It was much more important to save Barry for the U-71 formation, than it was to have a guard who could actually move somebody.

The Leaper
03-17-2007, 11:36 PM
TT signed Barry because he knew that:

A. Green Bay was going to be thin on veteran experience on the OL last year.

B. Barry was going to hold value to other teams in the league, and would probably get equivalent value in a trade if necessary.

Considering Green Bay's sizeable cap space last year, resigning Barry was not a poor choice. The injury was unfortunate, and he likely now has little future in Green Bay with the development of Colledge and Spitz.

KYPack
03-18-2007, 09:26 AM
TT signed Barry because he knew that:

A. Green Bay was going to be thin on veteran experience on the OL last year.

B. Barry was going to hold value to other teams in the league, and would probably get equivalent value in a trade if necessary.

Considering Green Bay's sizeable cap space last year, resigning Barry was not a poor choice. The injury was unfortunate, and he likely now has little future in Green Bay with the development of Colledge and Spitz.

Agreed.

I'd like to keep him. Unless he's one of the"chips" in a deal that's in the works, I'd like to see us keep him around. He can def. play RT & with some reps, LT. Rather that shuffle the whole line, we can plug Kevin in when Chad gets one of his "flat tires".

He can help us with some continuity while the young core of our O-Line matures.