PDA

View Full Version : Wilkerson discussion

Patler
03-17-2007, 11:14 AM
I hate to start a new one, but the other imply he has signed, which he apprently has not.

My question is this, how does a guy have 35 QB presures, but only one-half sack? Sounds like he isn't fast enough or good enough to "get there". That ratio is horrible.

MJZiggy
03-17-2007, 11:17 AM
Is he on the blind side or can the qb see him coming and runs the other way into the blind side defender who gets the sack? Just a thought.

Charles Woodson
03-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Okay so Partial do you think the main reason for this signing is to give us depth at DLine so we can trade KGB?

Bretsky
03-17-2007, 11:40 AM
TT just sees young depth that should be another cheapie.

I'd be pretty surprised if TT intends to let KGB go or trade him. KGB is the model teammate and still has some good value as a pass rushing DE. Lot of good teams would jump at him for the money. And heck, it's not we need to clear out any more of the excess of $20,000,000 in cap space we have anyways

Cheers,
B

MJZiggy
03-17-2007, 11:48 AM
B, I think he's thinking of the Moss rumors...

ahaha
03-17-2007, 12:06 PM
He seems like 'just a guy' to me. But, he plays multiple positions at an adequete level. TT seems to love versatility in his players, just like Billichek.

Packnut
03-17-2007, 12:29 PM
TT just sees young depth that should be another cheapie.

I'd be pretty surprised if TT intends to let KGB go or trade him. KGB is the model teammate and still has some good value as a pass rushing DE. Lot of good teams would jump at him for the money. And heck, it's not we need to clear out any more of the excess of $20,000,000 in cap space we have anyways

Cheers,
B

CHEAP being the operative word here.

privatepacker
03-17-2007, 12:32 PM
I think all TT is doing is adding better depth to the team. Shoring up the bottom half of the roster.

Patler
03-17-2007, 01:03 PM
I'm sure he is only considered for depth, but I question how valuable he really will be.

Lurker64
03-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Considering how thin we are at DE, we really need to look at getting some bodies. The depth chart at that position is kind of scary. Heck, in long passing downs bookends of this guy and KGB with Jenkins and Kampman in the middle might actually generate some pressure. Then again, I'm probably overoptimistic.

falco
03-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Why let Kenny Peterson go and pick up Wilkerson? Peterson had the versatility to play inside and out, showed flashes, but wasn't an adequate starter. Wilkerson sounds exactly the same...

packerbacker1234
03-17-2007, 01:51 PM
keep KGB.

He showed at the end of the year that when put back into doing EXACTLY what got him that big contract, only in on pass downs, that he is still useful. He got pressure on the QB late in the season.

Keep him. Sure, he's payed too much for doing just that, HOWEVER, what else are we using the money for?

swede
03-17-2007, 02:01 PM
Wilkerson played for Carl Hairston in Kansas City, so Coach Hairston is apparently vouching for the kid and believes that he still has upside.

Patler
03-17-2007, 02:07 PM
Considering how thin we are at DE, we really need to look at getting some bodies. The depth chart at that position is kind of scary. Heck, in long passing downs bookends of this guy and KGB with Jenkins and Kampman in the middle might actually generate some pressure. Then again, I'm probably overoptimistic.

Why mess with Kampman? I would leave him on the outside and put Wilkerson inside, if anything.

Don't forget Cory Williams, who had more sacks from the tackle position than all but Sapp and one or two other tackles.

SD GB fan
03-17-2007, 02:13 PM
i believe williams had 6 sacks in 2 games and 1 in the other 14 games. hmm, not to take anything from him but consistency is something he can shoot for. that said, i remember him getting to the QB on 3rd down and forcing the punt a few times.

Patler
03-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Considering how thin we are at DE, we really need to look at getting some bodies. The depth chart at that position is kind of scary.

We are better off than the start of last season.

Kampman, Jenkins, KGB. What's scary about that?
Throw in a draft pick, Hunter or Montgomery.
Also remember that Cory Williams played some at end his first two seasons, and many suspected he was the one they would move to replace KGB the week before Jenkins showed up at end.

I don't really see how Wilkerson improves that group very much, unless they have given up on Hunter and Montgomery (wouldn't surprise me if they have), and/or really are actively marketing KGB.

HarveyWallbangers
03-17-2007, 02:19 PM
The one encouraging sign is that Kansas City actually wants him back.

Patler
03-17-2007, 02:26 PM
i believe williams had 6 sacks in 2 games and 1 in the other 14 games. hmm, not to take anything from him but consistency is something he can shoot for. that said, i remember him getting to the QB on 3rd down and forcing the punt a few times.

2 vs. Detroit (1st game)
3 vs. Buffalo
1 vs. Detroit (2nd game)
1 vs. Chicago

What's wrong with that?

Patler
03-17-2007, 02:30 PM
The one encouraging sign is that Kansas City actually wants him back.

Not to douse your enthusiasm, but New Orleans wanted Joe Johnson back, too.

HarveyWallbangers
03-17-2007, 02:40 PM
Joe Johnson was a good player--who got injured a lot with Green Bay. The thing is that he played all 32 games his last two years in New Orleans and totalled 21 sacks. Why wouldn't a team want him back?

b bulldog
03-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Good rotation guy.

falco
03-17-2007, 02:44 PM
I don't have a problem with the signing, as long as its a disposable one; this is a guy that needs to show something or be gone by opening day.

HarveyWallbangers
03-17-2007, 02:48 PM

2 vs. Detroit (1st game)
3 vs. Buffalo
1 vs. Detroit (2nd game)
1 vs. Chicago

What's wrong with that?

Among DTs, only Warren Sapp and Cory Redding had sacks in more than 5 games--and Redding got a couple of his early when he was still playing DE. Considering that Williams didn't start until a handful of games into the season, I don't think it's unusual.

DTs don't normally get sacks, so I don't know what the point is. Only 3 guys had more sacks. Only 7 guys had more than 5.5 sacks. They guys right around Williams had similar results. Rod Coleman only had sacks in 5 games. Darwin Walker only had sacks in 4 games. Brian Young only had sacks in 4 games. La'Roi Glover only sacks in 5 games.

Brohm
03-17-2007, 03:06 PM
Definately would be a good rotation guy. Same body type as Jenkins, a tweener of sorts. Maybe this signing is an indicator about Montgomery's performance. If we keep KGB and use him as a 3D pass rusher, this guy would be an insurance policy if Jenkins gets hurt and Montgomery doesn't bring it.

HarveyWallbangers
03-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Definately would be a good rotation guy. Same body type as Jenkins, a tweener of sorts. Maybe this signing is an indicator about Montgomery's performance. If we keep KGB and use him as a 3D pass rusher, this guy would be an insurance policy if Jenkins gets hurt and Montgomery doesn't bring it.

Good point.

falco
03-17-2007, 04:28 PM
FROM JSO

Defensive lineman Jimmy Wilkerson opted to remain with his current team, Kansas City, his agent disclosed on Saturday.

The Green Bay Packers were negotiating Friday with Wilkerson's agent, Joby Branion, but ultimately Wilkerson wanted to remain with the Chiefs and agreed to a one year deal.

"I think there was just a comfort level with the team that he was with," Branion said. "He's good with everybody there. There's nothing he doesn't like about Kansas City."

Wilkerson, 6 foot 3 and 292 pounds, has been a versatile reserve for the Chiefs for four years, playing both end and tackle. Wilkerson started just three of 56 games. He has 86 tackles, one-half sack and 34 quarterback pressures, including 25 in 2005. The Chiefs have also recently signed free agent tackle Alfonso Boone, who had spent six years with Chicago, and re-signed Ron Edwards.

The Packers have acquired one player in the free agency period, cornerback Frank Walker.

Brohm
03-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Ah well ><

packers11
03-17-2007, 04:59 PM
yea ... ATTA BOY TT!!! How much you offer??? McDonald's cheeseburger... Did you super size it???

Patler
03-17-2007, 05:23 PM
yea ... ATTA BOY TT!!! How much you offer??? McDonald's cheeseburger... Did you super size it???

So now we are going to be upset about "losing" a career backup with a total of 86 tackles and 1/2 sack in his 4 year career?

I don't intend to losing any sleep over this "loss".

retailguy
03-17-2007, 05:33 PM

So now we are going to be upset about "losing" a career backup with a total of 86 tackles and 1/2 sack in his 4 year career?

I won't lose any sleep over it either, however I do have a concern - If you were looking for a free agent contract, had options, and wanted to make the most money you could, would you visit Green Bay knowing how Ted feels about free agents, or would you go elsewhere first figuring you'd get a better deal?

Patler
03-17-2007, 05:43 PM
I won't lose any sleep over it either, however I do have a concern - If you were looking for a free agent contract, had options, and wanted to make the most money you could, would you visit Green Bay knowing how Ted feels about free agents, or would you go elsewhere first figuring you'd get a better deal?

I'm not sure GB didn't offer more. It sounds like in the end he opted not to move more than anything.

I don't know, but Woodson, Pickett and Manual seemed to get deals they liked. Kendrick Allen has tried to talk others into coming. Ben Taylor was satisfied. His agent said he would like to return. White did return. Frank Walker seemed to get a good, fair contract.

If I were a player, or a players agent, I wouldn't shy away from GB.

Bretsky
03-17-2007, 05:44 PM
FROM JSO

Defensive lineman Jimmy Wilkerson opted to remain with his current team, Kansas City, his agent disclosed on Saturday.

The Green Bay Packers were negotiating Friday with Wilkerson's agent, Joby Branion, but ultimately Wilkerson wanted to remain with the Chiefs and agreed to a one year deal.

"I think there was just a comfort level with the team that he was with," Branion said. "He's good with everybody there. There's nothing he doesn't like about Kansas City."

Wilkerson, 6 foot 3 and 292 pounds, has been a versatile reserve for the Chiefs for four years, playing both end and tackle. Wilkerson started just three of 56 games. He has 86 tackles, one-half sack and 34 quarterback pressures, including 25 in 2005. The Chiefs have also recently signed free agent tackle Alfonso Boone, who had spent six years with Chicago, and re-signed Ron Edwards.

The Packers have acquired one player in the free agency period, cornerback Frank Walker.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :jig: :jig: :jig:

Glad I didn't lose my signature for this guy anyways

gbpackfan
03-17-2007, 05:45 PM
Christ, who the hell is this guy anyways? No loss. Were better off with our guys.

packers11
03-17-2007, 05:57 PM

I was being sarcastic... I didn't even know he was before this week... I just like making a joke at the (cheap T.T. perception people have) "SEE.. TT, didn't offer enough money"...

In my own little sick way of course... K maybe he did super size it... :wink:

KYPack
03-17-2007, 08:35 PM
FROM JSO

I dunno, B.

Would you have counted this guy as a legit FA signing?

Half a sack in 4 years?

So if he plays to his average, we'd gain an eighth of a sack?

Bretsky
03-17-2007, 09:28 PM
FROM JSO

I dunno, B.

Would you have counted this guy as a legit FA signing?

Half a sack in 4 years?

So if he plays to his average, we'd gain an eighth of a sack?

Probably not; to be honest I had a hard time counting Walker as well