PDA

View Full Version : Really, really kickass movies

Partial
03-18-2007, 11:25 PM
The sum of all fears is a downright kickass movie.

Independence Day was awesome upon release. That movie freaked the hell out of me when I was younger. Then, there was that one scene where the scientist gets slammed against the glass. It is impossible not to jump!!

MJZiggy
03-19-2007, 06:43 AM
Shawshank Redemption. Loved that one

falco
03-19-2007, 07:49 AM
police academy 5: assignment miami beach

Zool
03-19-2007, 07:51 AM
Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo

KYPack
03-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Rent "Hostel", Partial.

That'll get ya goin'.

MadtownPacker
03-19-2007, 11:26 AM
"Hostel" has to be one of the most phony/stupid movies I have ever seen. Security in that type of situation would be very high and some lil chump wouldnt be able to get away so easily.

KY - Maybe you thought is was scary cuz youre scared of getting locked up?

That pendeja MJ has it right when she mentioned "Shawshank Redemption". That is a TRUE classic that I have to watch whenever it is on.

You want to watch something, watch "American Me" with Edward James Olmos.

red
03-19-2007, 11:54 AM
i gotta bring up the movie with the single greatest ending ever

After that my guess is that you will never hear from him again.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

And like that

he's gone

Guiness
03-19-2007, 12:17 PM
i gotta bring up the movie with the single greatest ending ever

After that my guess is that you will never hear from him again.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

And like that

he's gone

I'm telling you this guy is protected from up on high by the Prince of Darkness.

Seen Chocolate yet?

Zool
03-19-2007, 12:35 PM
When i was in a barbershop quartet back in Skokie Illinois....

1: You know what happens if you go back in the joint?
2: I....fuck your father in the shower then have a snack?

Partial
03-19-2007, 02:21 PM
Gladiator is just the ultimate movie in manliness. Nothing says cool like fighting entirely for revenge, and then dying immediately after finishing your quest.

Someone should make a chrono trigger movie.

Brando19
03-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Troy was an awesome movie.

Jimx29
03-19-2007, 03:11 PM
the last 15 minutes of the original scarface back when it was released

Sparkey
03-19-2007, 03:14 PM
Great movies....

Shawshank Redemption, as mentioned earlier

The Green Mile

Tora Tora Tora

American History X

The Empire Strikes Back

The Bounty

I am sure more will come to memory as soon as I hit submit...

red
03-19-2007, 03:14 PM
fight club

Charles Woodson
03-19-2007, 03:17 PM
The departed was amazing. Saw it on saturday

red
03-19-2007, 03:34 PM

it was ok

it wasn't drop dead amazing like everything i've read about it says, i actually thought it was too predictable and kind of corney in spots

same with the prestege, it was just ok, not the best ending ever, like it said. i can't stand michael cain, i can't understand a f'ing word that comes out of his mouth

the illusionist was the better movie

Partial
03-19-2007, 03:47 PM
any movie with a nuclear bomb going off and/or some sort of conspiracy theory is pretty awesome.

Charles Woodson
03-19-2007, 03:53 PM

yes the illustionist was very good. it had me guessing for most of the movie. Rented it and didnt really want to watch it but i got in to the movie and it really made me think. Ending was pretty good

BallHawk
03-19-2007, 04:31 PM
Citizen Kane
Seven Samurai
Rashamon

All three of those are timeless classics.

GBRulz
03-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Of course I can never think of all my faves at once, but Crash was awesome. Let's see what else... Man On Fire, The Green Mile, Wedding Crashers, 16 Candles, Something About Mary, Chicago, Meet the Parents/Fockers, the list goes on.

Saw the Departed, it was ok. I didn't like the ending.

Charles Woodson
03-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Oceans 11 and Pirates of the Carribean

GBRulz
03-19-2007, 06:06 PM

How could I forget those?? duh

I didn't like Oceans 12 though

Charles Woodson
03-19-2007, 06:28 PM

the third movie for both of these come out this summer. talk about excited? just a bit.

MJZiggy
03-19-2007, 06:44 PM
"Misery"

Partial
03-19-2007, 07:02 PM

Oceans 11 was awesome because it had a plot. Oceans 12 was terrible because it didn't have a plot. I suspect Oceans 13 will suck equally hard.

Partial
03-19-2007, 07:02 PM
Die Hard

Freak Out
03-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Pulp Fiction.

Freak Out
03-19-2007, 07:20 PM
Twilight Samurai.

Freak Out
03-19-2007, 07:22 PM
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Charles Woodson
03-19-2007, 07:37 PM
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.
Did u see the movie i think the from the same people who made crouching tiger, called house of flying daggers?

red
03-19-2007, 07:59 PM

those two were both the shit, they have my 4 favorite actors(damon, clooney, pitt, and depp) and my massive female crush kiera. plus they were both just awesome stories

oceans 12 wasn't that great though. like partial said, 11 had a great story, 12 was kinda blah

oregonpackfan
03-19-2007, 08:08 PM
"Little Miss Sunshine" was a hilarious, quirky movie.

It poked fun at the beauty pageants aimed at young girls.

Actor Alan Arkin was so irreverant I nearly cracked a rib laughing!

BallHawk
03-19-2007, 08:11 PM
"Little Miss Sunshine" was a hilarious, quirky movie.

It poked fun at the beauty pageants aimed at young girls.

Actor Alan Arkin was so irreverant I nearly cracked a rib laughing!

The reason that movie is so funny is that everyone can relate to it.

MadtownPacker
03-19-2007, 08:23 PM
Donnie Brosco and Blow where some of Depps best performances.

Scott Campbell
03-19-2007, 10:50 PM
Just saw Borat this weekend. I think I tore something - I laughed that hard.

Partial
03-19-2007, 11:18 PM
I have borat here. Should I watch it?

red
03-20-2007, 09:20 AM
Just saw Borat this weekend. I think I tore something - I laughed that hard.

yeah that movie ia a trip, and just flat out wrong

lol

Merlin
03-20-2007, 09:38 AM
Shrek "You might have seen a horse fly, maybe even a super fly but you ain't never seen a donkey fly!"

Shrek II "Look he's wearing a thong! Am Not!"

I just saw the Departed and although I hate Alec Baldwin and Matt Damon, it was a damn good movie.

I tripple the Pirates of the Caribbean series

Stripes - all time favorite "If you ever call me Francis, I'll kill you".

Bad Boys & Bad Boys II

GBRulz
03-20-2007, 11:52 AM
Oceans 11 was awesome because it had a plot. Oceans 12 was terrible because it didn't have a plot. I suspect Oceans 13 will suck equally hard.

I saw the trailer for Oceans 13. Looks like they're going back to Vegas again. Al Pacino is in this one, too - along with the original cast less Julia Roberts (she wasn't in the trailer anyhow). June 8 release :lol: I'm excited for it, I mean it can't be as bad at Oceans 12, right???

Oscar
03-20-2007, 12:10 PM
I'll add Legends of the Fall to the list. One of my favorites.. Also, being a mechanic I can't leave out Cars.. :D

LaFours
03-20-2007, 02:10 PM
"My cousin Walter got this cat stuck in his ass..."

Zool
03-20-2007, 02:13 PM
There is nothing more depraved then a man in the clutches of an ether binge.

4and12to12and4
03-20-2007, 02:46 PM
the new movie at the theaters right now called "300" is AWESOME!! It has entered my top ten favorites of all time. You HAVE to see it on the big screen. Sin City was great. Shawshank, Something About Mary, Ron Burgundy, Legend of an Anchorman, Happy Gilmore, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and of course, It's a Wonderful Life. Also, Arsenic and Old Lace is a great classic.

red
03-20-2007, 03:29 PM
2 classics by kubrick

Dr. Strangelove

and

A Clockwork Orange

MJZiggy
03-20-2007, 03:38 PM
So, tell me about some of these movies. There's a lot of them in this thread that I haven't seen...

red
03-20-2007, 03:40 PM
So, tell me about some of these movies. There's a lot of them in this thread that I haven't seen...

like what ones?

Zool
03-20-2007, 03:45 PM
Watch Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Johnny Depp. Thats all I can tell you.

MJZiggy
03-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Departed, Illusionist, Ron Burgundy, Man on Fire, Hostel, American Me for starters...

the_idle_threat
03-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Departed, Illusionist, Ron Burgundy, Man on Fire, Hostel, American Me for starters...

On this list, I've only seen the Illusionist and Ron Burgundy (Anchorman).

I recommend the Illusionist --- it's a period piece, maybe 1890's or so, set in Europe. Stars Ed Norton and Jessica Biel.

I was disappointed by Anchorman, a Will Ferrell comedy. I expected it to be outstandingly funny after hearing so many good things about it. Even the Onion gave it a good review, which is rare. Usually the Onion only gives good reviews to independent films that nobody has ever heard of. Anyway, I thought it was just ok. Sometimes I think Ferrell tries too hard, and it shows.

I intend to see the Departed, which is a cops and gangsters film starring (among others) Jack Nicholson, Leo DiCaprio, Matt Damon and Alec Baldwin. This film netted Martin Scorcese his long-overdue Oscar for Best Picture just a few weeks ago.

Also intend to see Man on Fire, which is an action flick with Denzel Washington. Heard some good things about it.

From what I understand, Hostel is a thriller/horror flick. I guess Quentin Tarantino had some connection with it, although not as director.

Don't know a thing about American Me.

red
03-20-2007, 04:28 PM
well lets see

departed is a crime movie by the master Martin Scorsese. its got Jack Nicholson, matt damon, leonardo dicaprio, marky mark, alec baldwin and martin sheen. a good twisting movie that just came out on dvd a month or so ago

the illusionist is a movie about an illusionist (magician) back around 1900 or so. it stars edward norton (fight club, rounder, american history x). its about a boy and girl that are separated when they were young, the girl goes on to get engaged to a count or duke. and the guy finds out about it. the guy and the duke begin to hate each other. illusions ensue. cool movie

ron burgundy is actually. anchorman, the legend of ron burgandy. which is a will ferrell movie about a news anchor team in the 70's and their fight to keep anchor women down. funny as hell

and i haven't seen the other three yet, but hostel is a horror movie

Charles Woodson
03-20-2007, 05:10 PM
well lets see

departed is a crime movie by the master Martin Scorsese. its got Jack Nicholson, matt damon, leonardo dicaprio, marky mark, alec baldwin and martin sheen. a good twisting movie that just came out on dvd a month or so ago

the illusionist is a movie about an illusionist (magician) back around 1900 or so. it stars edward norton (fight club, rounder, american history x). its about a boy and girl that are separated when they were young, the girl goes on to get engaged to a count or duke. and the guy finds out about it. the guy and the duke begin to hate each other. illusions ensue. cool movie

ron burgundy is actually. anchorman, the legend of ron burgandy. which is a will ferrell movie about a news anchor team in the 70's and their fight to keep anchor women down. funny as hell

and i haven't seen the other three yet, but hostel is a horror movie

Zig i think youd really like the illusionist. Anchorman is a stupid funny type of movie. I thought it was amazing. The departed i saw on Saturday, i thought it was well done. Thought the ending was alil crazy but still prob one of the best ive seen, but hey im only 15

Charles Woodson
03-20-2007, 05:10 PM
Anyone see Jackass 2?

the_idle_threat
03-20-2007, 05:15 PM
Anyone see Jackass 2?

Yes. It was both appalling and outstanding.

oregonpackfan
03-20-2007, 05:46 PM
I truly believe "The Departed" is a great movie. It has many turns and twists. It has also a remarkable collection of fine actors in just 1 film.

Freak Out
03-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Kill Bill Vol. 2. The fight between Uma and Daryl is KICK ASS!

Brando19
03-20-2007, 06:17 PM

I saw the trailer for Oceans 13. Looks like they're going back to Vegas again. Al Pacino is in this one, too - along with the original cast less Julia Roberts (she wasn't in the trailer anyhow). June 8 release :lol: I'm excited for it, I mean it can't be as bad at Oceans 12, right???

Yes and the guy they robbed in Oceans 11 is actually with them in this movie...helping them rob someone else. I can't remember his name but he was in the Godfather III.

Brando19
03-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Anyone see Jackass 2?

Yeah...could you believe the part with the anacondas in the ball pit? Or when he put a leach on his eyeball?!? And the beginning when he puts a mouse puppet on his penis and sticks it in a cage with a snake!

Scott Campbell
03-20-2007, 08:08 PM
I have borat here. Should I watch it?

It's not for everybody. But I think you'll like it.

Partial
03-20-2007, 08:10 PM
I do enjoy thoroughly raunchy comedy, maybe i'll pop it in later.

Charles Woodson
03-20-2007, 08:22 PM
Anyone see Jackass 2?

Yeah...could you believe the part with the anacondas in the ball pit? Or when he put a leach on his eyeball?!? And the beginning when he puts a mouse puppet on his penis and sticks it in a cage with a snake!

yea the start of the movie with the penis in the cage was hilarious, also when they drank the horse skeet, or when steve-o put the beer up his ass. or when they branded the dick on his ass man priceless stunts

Brando19
03-20-2007, 08:25 PM
Anyone see Jackass 2?

yea the start of the movie with the penis in the cage was hilarious, also when they drank the horse skeet, or when steve-o put the beer up his ass. or when they branded the dick on his ass man priceless stunts

LoL...some of those stunts were just hilarious but some of them made you think whether the world is a safe place with people like them in it. However, I believe some stunts were "rigged" such as the huge fishing hook Steve-O put in his cheak...I believe he had a previous piercing there because it didn't bleed...but those freakin sharks were real that were trying to eat him. :shock:

Partial
03-20-2007, 08:26 PM
Those Jackass guys are retarded.

Charles Woodson
03-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Anyone see Jackass 2?

LoL...some of those stunts were just hilarious but some of them made you think whether the world is a safe place with people like them in it. However, I believe some stunts were "rigged" such as the huge fishing hook Steve-O put in his cheak...I believe he had a previous piercing there because it didn't bleed...but those freakin sharks were real that were trying to eat him. :shock:

yea i thought the one where they dressed up as the grandpa and had the hairy balls hanging out with funny

Charles Woodson
03-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Those Jackass guys are retarded.

thats whats funny bout it

HarveyWallbangers
03-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Citizen Kane

Horrible movie. It might have been groundbreaking, but it's friggin' sucks. It didn't stand the test of time. Casablanca, on the other hand, did.

HarveyWallbangers
03-20-2007, 08:48 PM
What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Before Sunrise, Swingers, Heaven And Earth, Diner, The World According To Garp, To Kill A Mockingbird, Garden State, Twelve Monkeys, The Upside Of Anger, Wedding Crashers, The Notebook, City Of Joy, Untamed Heart, Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind are all some of my underrated favorites. And Shane.
:D

Charles Woodson
03-20-2007, 08:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6BWJHqnkfY&mode=related&search=

/Pirates of the carribean 3 movie trailer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!
!!!!!
!!!
!!
!
!!
!!!!
!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AM I EXCITED YEAAASSSS
Edit: Any better? :P

GBRulz
03-20-2007, 08:49 PM

Yes and the guy they robbed in Oceans 11 is actually with them in this movie...helping them rob someone else. I can't remember his name but he was in the Godfather III.

yes, Andy Garcia. He is #13. From what I understood from the trailer, Al Pacino is who they are robbing this time!

GBRulz
03-20-2007, 08:50 PM
um, Mr. Woodson? Your exclamation points are making the page about three times it's normal width !!

Charles Woodson
03-20-2007, 08:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvqXyl60zaE

Oceans 13 movie trailer

Charles Woodson
03-20-2007, 08:52 PM
um, Mr. Woodson? Your exclamation points are making the page about three times it's normal width !!

:D

HarveyWallbangers
03-20-2007, 09:01 PM
You can hit the edit button. This isn't the JSO forum.
:)

Charles Woodson
03-20-2007, 09:04 PM
You can hit the edit button. This isn't the JSO forum.
:)

HA it took me about 5 minutes to find the edit button.

Damn whats with everyone demanding something. This is a free fourm and if i want a post with a billion ! then i can have on JPP

Iron Mike
03-21-2007, 07:22 AM
Nobody mentioned the Christopher Guest mockumentaries:

This Is Spinal Tap

Waiting For Guffman

Best In Show

A Mighty Wind

:roll:

Though I have yet to see For Your Consideration.

MadtownPacker
03-21-2007, 07:54 AM
Dont ask me anything about "American Me" you sorry ass putos. Just go rent it and make sure you DONT watch it with your kids. At the time it was released the movie resulted in a contract being put on Olmos' life. If Harvey and all you other gabachos dont watch it then you can all go to hell.

BTW- JackAss 2 is a great movie. Partial talks big talk like the Jackass gang but his weakling self wouldnt attempt any of the stuff they do.

Partial
03-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Damn right I wouldn't do any of that. It's just moronic. Ballsy, sure, but being an idiot is far frorm respectable. Just ask merlin. ZING "You are correct, SIR"

pacfan
03-21-2007, 03:28 PM

you could develop a fear of elevators after watching "Departed"....

Charles Woodson
03-21-2007, 03:32 PM

you could develop a fear of elevators after watching "Departed"....

HAHA i thought that the ending was a lil unbeliveable. i mean 4 ppl were shot within like 1 minute? haha i loved mark at the end. Bastard got what he deserved.

BallHawk
03-21-2007, 04:32 PM
I can't stand Jackass movies. It's pathetic. It's a bunch of high-school dropouts with nothing to do but physically torture each other with metal objects and dangerous animals. Seriously, it's a disgrace to film. It's absolute bullshit. I go to the movie theater to see acting, plot, direction, etc. I don't go to see a bunch of morons pull 5th grade pranks on each other.

Films of the past are so much better than the ones that are produced now.

BallHawk
03-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Citizen Kane

Horrible movie. It might have been groundbreaking, but it's friggin' sucks. It didn't stand the test of time. Casablanca, on the other hand, did.

Casablanca is a truly great movie, yes, but Citizen Kane is not a "horrible movie." Orsen Welles direction in that movie laid so many building blocks for future movies in Citizen Kane. The movie revolutionized the film industry.

And another me for the list, "Dirty Harry."

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk? "

BallHawk
03-21-2007, 04:54 PM

/Pirates of the carribean 3 movie trailer

AM I EXCITED YEAAASSSS

Looks like crap, if you ask me.

Charles Woodson
03-21-2007, 05:57 PM

AM I EXCITED YEAAASSSS

Good cause i didnt, we have way diffferent tastes in movies. You like casa blanca and i like jackass 2 and PC3.

hurleyfan
03-21-2007, 06:30 PM
A few Good men!

Cool hand Luke!

Young Frankenstein

World Trade Center ( :cry: )

Swordfish

hurleyfan
03-21-2007, 06:31 PM
Shawshank Redemption. Loved that one

Shawshank Redemption is a great flick!

Freak Out
03-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Cool hand Luke!

Young Frankenstein

Great movies...

has anyone mentioned Blazing Saddles?

hurleyfan
03-21-2007, 06:35 PM

yes the illustionist was very good. it had me guessing for most of the movie. Rented it and didnt really want to watch it but i got in to the movie and it really made me think. Ending was pretty good

I thought the Illusionist sucked. Too slow paced, wasn't crazy about the "cinematogrophy" (odd color & lighting?)

Was kind've hoping Jessica Biel would make it worth watching..

BallHawk
03-21-2007, 09:41 PM
Cool hand Luke!

Young Frankenstein

Great movies...

has anyone mentioned Blazing Saddles?

I thought I did, but I didn't. That movie is Mel Brooks' greatest comedy. Some of the comedy is very childish, while some of the comedy is much more mature. It's one of my favorite comedy's.

Young Frankenstien is also great! Gene Wilder is great (WI born, BTW)

Zool
03-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Dr to Igor: Igor Its pronounced Fran ken schteen

Igor: sorry sir, its pronounced eye gore.

Classic stuff.

Cool Hand Luke is a top10 all time move.

Babalooey: How do you know her name is Lucille?

Dragline: Anything look like that just got to be named Lucille.

Freak Out
03-21-2007, 11:33 PM
"We'll take the Niggers and the Chinks but we don't want anything to do with the Irish!"

red
03-21-2007, 11:56 PM
"We'll take the Niggers and the Chinks but we don't want anything to do with the Irish!"

thats one of my all-time favorite line

me being irish and all

Partial
03-22-2007, 12:01 AM
Today I caught the Return of the Jedi at like 9 am or so, The 40 year old virgin tonight, part of war of the worlds earlier in the day, and some other movie that I cannot think of right now during my afternoon nap. I love premium channels.

BallHawk
03-22-2007, 06:53 AM

"Somebodies gonna have to go back and get a shitload of dimes!"

Classic.

oregonpackfan
03-23-2007, 12:39 PM

thats one of my all-time favorite line

me being irish and all

Red,

I am of mostly Irish heritage as well. I nearly wet my pants when I heard that line in the movie!

Freak Out
03-23-2007, 10:50 PM
The odd couple.
I laughed so hard when Felix started making his sinus noises in the Diner. :lol:

BallHawk
04-01-2007, 09:40 PM
This may not be everybody's type of movie, but Amazing Grace is a great movie. It's a very, very good historical drama, and I love historical dramas.

HarveyWallbangers
04-01-2007, 10:04 PM

AM I EXCITED YEAAASSSS

Good cause i didnt, we have way diffferent tastes in movies. You like casa blanca and i like jackass 2 and PC3.

I'm much closer to hawk's taste. Pirates ranks up there with Independence Day among the most overrated blockbusters of all-time. You don't like Casablanca, but you like Jackass. Sadly, I'm afraid a lot of youngsters might have this opinion.

J-Rok
04-01-2007, 10:39 PM
I'm glad someone said it. Citizen Kane is ridiculously boring. My film teacher kept orgasming about all of the technical achievements, but that doesn't mean it was entertaining.

I really like Kurosawa movies. I love Seven Samurai as a whole, but the "fight scenes" lacked alot. I like Yojimbo more than that.

Casablanca is my favorite all time.

I'm really tempted to give my opinion on every movie named, but I think I'll just be here all night. Instead...

Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
(I'm a big fan of Clint Eastwood westerns)

Most movies with Cary Grant or Bogart.

Sling Blade...

I'm done.

HarveyWallbangers
04-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Sling Blade and What's Eating Gilbert Grape

the_idle_threat
04-02-2007, 03:17 AM
Who's Eating Gilbert's Grapes?

:P

BallHawk
04-02-2007, 07:31 AM
As anybody said "The Natural" yet? One of the best sports movies of all time, even if you're not a big baseball fan.

BallHawk
04-02-2007, 08:44 AM
I really like Kurosawa movies. I love Seven Samurai as a whole, but the "fight scenes" lacked alot. I like Yojimbo more than that..

J-Rok, have you ever watched "Ikiru"? It's not the usual action style that you would find in Seven Samurai or Hidden Fortress, but it's more deep and thought provoking. It's an excellent movie.

Also, "High and Low" is a great movie by AK. It's based off a John Wayne novel, but it's very good.

BallHawk
10-28-2007, 06:28 PM
6-month bump

So anybody see any good films lately?

I saw Michael Clayton, which was really good.

Has anybody seen Rendition or Gone Baby Gone? Rendition looks cool, but it's gotten mixed reviews.

MJZiggy
10-28-2007, 06:33 PM
I haven't. Seems like it's time to go see a movie. I wonder what's playing.

oregonpackfan
10-28-2007, 07:46 PM
I just rented The Lives of Others. It won the International Film Award.

The movie is dubbed from German so if you don't mind reading subtitles it is an absolutely fantastic movie.

The setting is communist East Germany during the early 80's and the effort of the communist party to snoop on writers, artists, intellectuals who are considered a "Threat" to the state.

Deputy Nutz
10-28-2007, 09:15 PM
How does no one mention Rocky or Rocky II? those were great flix.

Agree on Usual Suspects,
Pulp Fiction,
Kill Bill(Both Volumes),
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas,
Dazed and Confused,
Good Fellas,
Casino,
Godfather,
Death Proof

StarWars a New Hope, StarWars the Empire Strikes Back,
Best in Show,
CadyShack,
Strange Brew,
Major League,
North Dallas Forty,
Sin City
Gladiator
Cinderella Man
Fight Club
Remember the Titans
Carlito's Way
Fast Times at Ridgemont High

I liked the Departed, right up until the end
Good Will Hunting
Super Size Me
Hard Days Night
Saving Private Ryan
Hurricane
Porky's
Saturday Night Fever
Urban Cowboy

Charles Woodson
10-28-2007, 09:22 PM
Has anyone seen the kingdom?

Iron Mike
10-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Super Size Me

Super Size Me isn't a movie, it's a documentary.

Iron Mike
10-28-2007, 09:55 PM
Who's seen this?

http://moviepatron.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/donnie-darko-1.jpg

Iron Mike
10-28-2007, 09:56 PM
Or, "You got girlfriend Viet Nam, Joe?"

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews9/full-metal-jacket/full-metal-jacket-PDVD_01201.jpg

BallHawk
10-29-2007, 12:22 AM
Who's seen this?

http://moviepatron.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/donnie-darko-1.jpg

Donnie Darko is quite possibly the coolest, most creative move I have seen in this current decade. It is such an insane concept, but it works so well.

Not to mention, Gary Jules' cover of "Mad World" (Originally by Tears for Fears) is really good.

Deputy Nutz
10-29-2007, 11:13 AM
Super Size Me

It was in a movie theater, hence it is movie quality documentary.

Iron Mike
10-29-2007, 06:55 PM
Super Size Me

It was in a movie theater, hence it is movie quality documentary.

Alright, I'll cave. 8-)

MJZiggy
10-29-2007, 06:58 PM
A man who caves? :hrt:

Iron Mike
10-29-2007, 08:06 PM
A man who caves? :hrt:
:oops:

Partial
10-30-2007, 12:36 AM
Donnie Darko is so overrated. First time I watched I was like whoa, wtf.

Now I am just like this is retarded and doesn't make any sense or have any accuracy.

Zool
10-30-2007, 07:36 AM

Now I am just like this is retarded and doesn't make any sense or have any accuracy.

At the same time you like the retarded dancing finger word video? The directors cut of DD makes a bunch more sense.

As for Full Metal Jacket, thats probably my favorite all time movie.

Partial
10-30-2007, 09:17 AM

At the same time you like the retarded dancing finger word video? The directors cut of DD makes a bunch more sense.

As for Full Metal Jacket, thats probably my favorite all time movie.

Funniest opening scene ever.

Partial
11-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Zool i believe in an interview with Kevin Smith the director of DD said he just wrote it without any real scientific knowledge of dimensions or time travel.

American Gangster was a bad ass flick.

Iron Mike
11-19-2007, 08:23 PM

I'm gonna suggest you go to the video store and rent yourself an Elia Kazan fest..........

On The Waterfront (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prXXOxCPNek)

East of Eden (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbnI_mBRgmk)

A Streetcar Named Desire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1A0p0F_iH8)

Splendor in the Grass (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMs6eC0ZBQE)

A Face in the Crowd (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edpz9f5LVaY)

Partial
01-09-2008, 08:32 PM
John McClain is a bad ass. Dude shot a man through his own shoulders. And he beat up a woman. 10/10

Deputy Nutz
01-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Speaking of movies I just watch Ghost Rider, and like any Nicholas Cage movie, it sucked. Ruined a perfectly good comic.

]{ilr]3
01-09-2008, 10:13 PM
I havent read threw this entire thead to see if this has already been discussed, but Super Bad is soo awesome.

Being a father several times I just had to shake my head, but then found myself laughing anyway. By the time it ended my gut hurt from laughing for so long. I then tried to tell my wife about it when she got home from work and I finally realized the title made sense now when I summed it up for her that it was just Super Bad! (yes, I am slow :P )

BallHawk
01-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Speaking of movies I just watch Ghost Rider, and like any Nicholas Cage movie, it sucked. Ruined a perfectly good comic.

You didn't like Leaving Las Vegas?

Deputy Nutz
01-09-2008, 10:21 PM

No. He is the biggest overactor I have ever seen

BallHawk
01-09-2008, 10:26 PM

I can agree with that. Still, Leaving Las Vegas was a great movie.

BallHawk
01-09-2008, 10:28 PM
I don't think we've had any Hitchcock's mentioned yet.

Vertigo (His best movie, IMO)
Psycho
Rear Window
North by Northwest (the ending sucked, though)
Rope

BallHawk
01-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Some Like it Hot is a great comedy. It's up there with Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein for best comedy of all-time, IMO.

Iron Mike
01-09-2008, 11:26 PM

Classic Nicolas Coppola:

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/MG/190950.jpg

Iron Mike
01-09-2008, 11:56 PM

He wasn't overacting in "Fast Times At Ridgemont High."

http://www.dvdork.com/uploads/fasttimes2.jpg

RashanGary
01-10-2008, 08:37 AM
Borat

I havn't watched movies very often since I've been so busy but. . . .

Kingpin was hillarious way back when
Meet the Parents was hillarious "the second one sucked IMO"

I liked all the Sander stuff when I was a kid.

I mostly like comedy. I'm sure I'm leaving some great ones off.

Iron Mike
01-20-2008, 02:38 PM
{ilr]3]I havent read threw this entire thead to see if this has already been discussed, but Super Bad is soo awesome.

John McLain is a badass.

Fogell is a badass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6KzGhrCXCM

Tony Oday
01-20-2008, 03:05 PM
I liked Ghost Rider a solid 5 great for a saturday afternoon...and cmon faceoff was awesome!

I really like Hot Rod that was funny.

Dont forget Red Dawn too :)

Iron Mike
01-25-2008, 10:50 AM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I loved "Casino Royale," so I'm hyped to see "Quantum of Solace."

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Jan24/0,4670,MoviesBondFilm,00.html

Partial
02-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Stranger than Fiction is a wild movie.

Harlan Huckleby
02-02-2008, 06:44 PM
the funniest movie ever is "The Inlaws" with Alan Arkin & Peter Falk.

The Shadow
02-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Has anyone ever seen Ron Howard's "Night Shift", with Michael Keaton, Henry Winkler, and Shelley Long?

Harlan Huckleby
02-04-2008, 09:14 PM
I'd like to watch that one again, but my VHS player is out of order.

BallHawk
02-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Just say "There Will Be Blood" on Sunday. Absolutely fantastic. Daniel Day-Lewis deserves Best Actor without a doubt.

I'm going to see Atonement and No Country for Old Men on Sunday. Anybody seen any of those?

the_idle_threat
02-05-2008, 09:16 AM
I thought "No Country" was very good.

I've heard that some don't like the ending (including some in the theater I was at who were saying out loud "What ...?") but I thought it was very good.

Partial
02-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Just say "There Will Be Blood" on Sunday. Absolutely fantastic. Daniel Day-Lewis deserves Best Actor without a doubt.

I'm going to see Atonement and No Country for Old Men on Sunday. Anybody seen any of those?

Don't you have to be 17 to go to an R rated movie?

the_idle_threat
02-05-2008, 10:24 AM

You didn't hear? BH is 47 yrs old and works for the FBI.

Partial
02-05-2008, 10:35 AM
I figured as much.

BallHawk
02-05-2008, 10:59 AM

To buy the ticket, yes, but to attend the movie, no.

Partial
02-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Posting during lunch hour are we? :D

Harlan Huckleby
02-05-2008, 12:21 PM

good catch!

BallHawk
02-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Posting during lunch hour are we? :D

Straight from the media center of GCHS. :wink:

BallHawk
02-24-2008, 11:07 PM
Ok, not too happy with the choice for best picture.

No Country was a fantastic movie up until the last 10-15 minutes. Then the Coen brothers did a 360 and tried to go the symbolic route instead of continuing the cat and mouse route which had been working just fine for the last 2 hours.

There Will Be Blood was a complete movie that told a fantastic story that came full circle. No Country, while good, ended with a philosophical ending which, in a movie that spent so much time on suspense, disappointed me. I'm sure some people loved the ending, but I just disliked it.

Also kinda pissed that the Coen brothers got Best Adapted Screenplay. TWBB is loosely based off Upton Sinclair's "Oil!". A lot more work went into crafting that into a movie than it did to turn McCarthy's novel into a movie.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-24-2008, 11:23 PM
Ok, not too happy with the choice for best picture.

No Country was a fantastic movie up until the last 10-15 minutes. Then the Coen brothers did a 360 and tried to go the symbolic route instead of continuing the cat and mouse route which had been working just fine for the last 2 hours.

There Will Be Blood was a complete movie that told a fantastic story that came full circle. No Country, while good, ended with a philosophical ending which, in a movie that spent so much time on suspense, disappointed me. I'm sure some people loved the ending, but I just disliked it.

Also kinda pissed that the Coen brothers got Best Adapted Screenplay. TWBB is loosely based off Upton Sinclair's "Oil!". A lot more work went into crafting that into a movie than it did to turn McCarthy's novel into a movie.

You are making the argument for NCFOM. Since it was a book you have to adapt it. TWBB is loosely as you said based on "Oil" thus it doesn't have much of an adaptation. More of an argument that it is an original screenplay. "oil" is more of an inspiration than even coming close a work that PT adapted.

The fact that he didn't even call it Oil! speaks volumes. To quote PT, "at the end of the day, there [was] not enough of the book to feel like it [was] a proper adaptation."

the_idle_threat
02-25-2008, 01:17 AM
I'm interested in seeing "There Will Be Blood," but I have no problem with "No Country." The ending is what really made the movie for me.

Before that point, I thought it was just "A Simple Plan" with fewer interesting characters.

LL2
02-25-2008, 09:15 AM
I really want to see TWBB.

3:10 to Yuma was a good movie too. I always love a good western. My fav is still Tombstone. I love Kurt Russell's line that goes something like "You called down the thunder, and I'm bringing hell with me!" after his brother was killed.

red
02-25-2008, 09:42 AM
I really want to see TWBB.

3:10 to Yuma was a good movie too. I always love a good western. My fav is still Tombstone. I love Kurt Russell's line that goes something like "You called down the thunder, and I'm bringing hell with me!" after his brother was killed.
val kilmer was brilliant in that movie as doc holiday

one of my all time favorite characters in any movie

Zool
02-25-2008, 09:43 AM
You tell him I'm comin....and HELLS COMIN WITH ME

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Has anyone seen The Brave One? Am thinking about seeing it. Someone told me it was good......

GrnBay007
02-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Has anyone seen The Brave One? Am thinking about seeing it. Someone told me it was good......

Is that with Jodi Foster?

Tyrone Bigguns
02-25-2008, 01:37 PM

Is that with Jodi Foster?

yes

Charles Woodson
02-25-2008, 06:31 PM

To buy the ticket, yes, but to attend the movie, no.

and to clarify, you even if you have an R ticket, you need someone older to accompany you...

BallHawk
02-25-2008, 06:41 PM
That's assuming I'm going to see only one movie and that I'm going to see the movie printed on the purchased ticket.

GrnBay007
03-02-2008, 01:55 AM

I watched it tonight and thought it was good.

It kind of sent a message.. unrealistic/over the top in her case...but it's true, after you've loved and lost someone you are a different person in some shape or form. There really is no going back to the exact same person you were before.

At the end I was like.........GO BACK FOR THE DOG!! :D

Anyone else see it?

BallHawk
03-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Um, I watched CB4 yesterday.

That is a good movie. Why it wasn't nominated for an Oscar I don't know. :lol:

oregonpackfan
03-02-2008, 10:37 AM

It kind of sent a message.. unrealistic/over the top in her case...but it's true, after you've loved and lost someone you are a different person in some shape or form. There really is no going back to the exact same person you were before.

Anyone else see it?

I agree with your observation that if you lose a loved one to violence, you are never the same person. Foster's character plays that out well.

What is also a major theme is that using violence to seek revenge does not bring a satisfying peace of mind. Foster and/or the police detective kill the 3-4 people involved in the assault, but she is still haunted by the tragedy.

In the subway scene where she shoots two muggers(who weren't involved in the original assault) the Foster character is certainly justified in defending herself. At the same time, the finality of the shooting does not give her any satisfaction.

Overall, it was a very good movie, IMO. Jodie Foster remains one of my favorite actresses.

Partial
03-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Has anyone seen "Into the Wild"? I get two movies a month per the netflicks plan my sister got me for Christmas, and I am thinking about going with that for one of them.

Deputy Nutz
03-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Has anyone seen "Into the Wild"? I get two movies a month per the netflicks plan my sister got me for Christmas, and I am thinking about going with that for one of them.

You could quickly read the book to make up your mind. I never read it, but I assume it is sort of like "My Side of the Mountain" a person goes to live in the wild. I think it would be pretty cool. I think if something really terrible happened to me or my life I might just turn to the hills and live out my life in a hand made cabin living off the land.

Freak Out
03-03-2008, 10:24 PM

Anyone else see it?

I agree with your observation that if you lose a loved one to violence, you are never the same person. Foster's character plays that out well.

What is also a major theme is that using violence to seek revenge does not bring a satisfying peace of mind. Foster and/or the police detective kill the 3-4 people involved in the assault, but she is still haunted by the tragedy.

In the subway scene where she shoots two muggers(who weren't involved in the original assault) the Foster character is certainly justified in defending herself. At the same time, the finality of the shooting does not give her any satisfaction.

Overall, it was a very good movie, IMO. Jodie Foster remains one of my favorite actresses.

What the hell was the Bronson movie based on the same premise? His daughter is raped and killed and he goes vigilante big time. Good flick back in the day. I think I saw it about the time I saw Walking Tall and White Line Fever.

Freak Out
03-03-2008, 10:25 PM

He was a fool and it cost him.

Partial
03-03-2008, 10:27 PM

You could quickly read the book to make up your mind. I never read it, but I assume it is sort of like "My Side of the Mountain" a person goes to live in the wild. I think it would be pretty cool. I think if something really terrible happened to me or my life I might just turn to the hills and live out my life in a hand made cabin living off the land.

Show's my extent of knowledge on it :lol: I didn't know it was a book! I think it'd be a good experience to give up suburban life for a bit and go live on the fat of the land. Since I've been a kid I've always wanted to do that for awhile, especially after reading hatchet in elementary school and then Walden in high school.

Deputy Nutz
03-03-2008, 10:38 PM

Show's my extent of knowledge on it :lol: I didn't know it was a book! I think it'd be a good experience to give up suburban life for a bit and go live on the fat of the land. Since I've been a kid I've always wanted to do that for awhile, especially after reading hatchet in elementary school and then Walden in high school.

I was watching an old documentary on PBS a year or so ago about a fellow that went up to Alaska and built a cabin with old hand tools starting in the warm summer months, finished the cabin in the fall, he lived at least a year. You have to be really careful doing something like that, especially in Alaska because of the severe weather. You don't want to fall through any ice, or get stuck in the snow I can tell you that much. A good compass will help as well. Anyways it was pretty amazing watching this guy work. Thats craftsmanship that barely exist anymore.

Iron Mike
03-03-2008, 10:42 PM
What the hell was the Bronson movie based on the same premise? His daughter is raped and killed and he goes vigilante big time. Good flick back in the day. I think I saw it about the time I saw Walking Tall and White Line Fever.

Death Wish

http://blog.joins.com/usr/a/g/agony00/1/paul_kersey_3223.jpg

Iron Mike
03-03-2008, 10:47 PM
He's better in "Hard Times" as bare-knuckle fighter Chaney, IMHO.

http://www.gorila.sk/i/imgs/227/7227.jpg

Iron Mike
03-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Have I mentioned the A Fist Full Of Yen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1M0zU2IihI) section of "Kentucky Fried Movie" yet?

oregonpackfan
03-04-2008, 12:16 AM

Partial,

I read the book and saw the movie. It was a very interesting story about an idealistic young man trying to challenge himself about life's priorities, etc.

Though the movie was very good, I thought the book version was excellent.

Unfortunately, his fascination with the challenges of the Alaskan Wilderness proved to be his fatal undoing. Like Freak Out mentioned, many native Alaskans considered him a fool as the young guy simply was not prepared for the harshness of Alaskan winters. Bottom line: if you are not prepared to meet the severity of winter in Alaska, you are dead!

It is still worth reading and renting the DVD.

Freak Out
03-04-2008, 07:07 PM
I've heard the movie was good...but that's what it was...a movie. I've actually hiked out to "the bus" and it's really not very difficult if you know what your doing. The river crossing can be a bitch if the waters high but if you know what your doing it's nothing people have not done many times before. He made some bad decisions and had some bad luck.

Nutz....the movie your probably referring to is "One mans wilderness", a story about Dick Proenneke and his cabin on Twin Lakes. I think he moved there in the early 60s and built his cabin and had lived there until his death in...2002 or 2003? (To lazy to look) That Alaska is still there in some respects....you just have to leave the SAT phone behind. :lol:

I've seen it many times and always enjoy it.

HowardRoark
04-22-2015, 09:29 AM
Whiplash is a good movie; really makes you think about what the best way to motivate a kid.........

mraynrand
04-22-2015, 11:07 AM
Recently saw the movie "In Time" with that Amy McAdams Rachel Ray or whoever. The father character was amazing. If that movie doesn't get to you, you have no heart.

HowardRoark
04-22-2015, 11:40 AM
Recently saw the movie "In Time" with that Amy McAdams Rachel Ray or whoever. The father character was amazing. If that movie doesn't get to you, you have no heart.

That was a really good movie...especially being a father.

HowardRoark
04-22-2015, 11:56 AM
I was watching an old documentary on PBS a year or so ago about a fellow that went up to Alaska and built a cabin with old hand tools starting in the warm summer months, finished the cabin in the fall, he lived at least a year. You have to be really careful doing something like that, especially in Alaska because of the severe weather. You don't want to fall through any ice, or get stuck in the snow I can tell you that much. A good compass will help as well. Anyways it was pretty amazing watching this guy work. Thats craftsmanship that barely exist anymore.

I can't stop watching that show whenever it comes on....he lived up there a long time like that.

mraynrand
04-22-2015, 12:23 PM
^^^ Not a movie, but DIY network has the show "Building Alaska." I love that show. It's great what people come up with when they are 20, 100, 200 + miles from anything resembling a hardware store, let alone Home Depot