PDA

View Full Version : Knowledgeable Fans

Scott Campbell
03-19-2007, 01:02 PM
The Talk: Most knowledgeable fans?
ESPN.com

Which NFL cities have the most knowledgeable fans?

Eric Allen: Chiefs fans: Chiefs fans know the coverages you're playing as well as every player on both teams. It's not a lot of fun playing in that stadium as a visiting player, but it would've been fun to have played there.

Packers fan are next in line. What more can be said about one of the great football cities in the country? Green Bay fans are extremely knowledgeable and passionate about their teams, almost to the point of obsession. Speaking of obsession, Eagles fans are some of the most obsessive about their team in the NFL. They care and they aren't afraid to let you know it on and off the field. I'm not sure what it is about Pennsylvania and football fans, but Pittsburgh brings the noise and knowledge every week.

Joe Theismann: Steelers fans: The Steelers have fans all over the world -- and they don't just know football, they live it. In addition to Steelers fans, Packers, Redskins, Cowboys and Giants fans are also very knowledgeable. Packers fans absolutely live and breath football. They look forward to the season from the end of the last NFL season. The Redskins have great fans, too. I had the pleasure of playing for this organization, so I know from personal experience how great the fans are and how much they know about the history of this game.

As a former Redskin, it pains me to put Cowboys fans on this list, but their fans are fantastic. They know their football and do a great job supporting their team. Following the NFC East trend, the Giants also have great fans. If you make it here, you can make it anywhere. How true. Giants fans know their football, and if you're a great player, there aren't many other places you'd want to play.

John Clayton: Steelers: The Super Bowl in Detroit illustrated the passion and resourcefulness of Steelers fans. They had about 80 percent of the seats in Ford Field. It's a city known for its love of great defenses. Four Super Bowl championships in the 1970s educated the fans on the type of players and schemes that are successful in the NFL. Pittsburgh knows football.

Around the country, Browns fans are everywhere. Booster groups are in just about every city, but the base is in Cleveland. Fans survived Art Modell's move to Baltimore and the time awaiting an expansion team. Things have been tough since the Browns came back, but the fans still sell out the stadium and push the front office to make the right moves.

Chicago is a great sports town and the fans know the games. Even though the city is big enough to support two baseball teams, pro football is the main topic. Bears fans love their defense, and those who run the Bears know they better play to their fans.

Philadelphia may be the City of Brotherly Love, but it's a tough sports town. Listen to the talk shows. There is an edge to the calls. It's hard to trap them on a subject. Eagles fans know the game and they are willing to express their opinions.

The Cowboys -- America's team -- have some of the best fans around. They travel to training camp, whether the location is Oxnard, Calif., or San Antonio. Owner Jerry Jones knows how to play to those fans. The Cowboys are one of the model franchises in sports, but so much of it is because of the fans.

Len Pasquarelli: Eagles: Philly fans are crazy, but their passion is equaled by their knowledge of game. Pittsburgh and Cleveland fans also rate very high on any list of the most knowledgeable NFL fans.

MadtownPacker
03-19-2007, 01:07 PM
That article sucks. How the hell can they put bears fan in there?

Scott Campbell
03-19-2007, 01:13 PM
That article sucks. How the hell can they put bears fan in there?

Look who put them in there.

packinpatland
03-19-2007, 02:46 PM
I am so tired of the Cowboys still being referred to as America's Team.
Thought they lost that title...............not that they ever deserved it to begin with!

red
03-19-2007, 02:54 PM
article lost all cred when they said bears fans are knowledgeable

all they know how to do is jump on and off the bandwagon

and 90% of then are dumb as shit, and not as good looking

CaliforniaCheez
03-19-2007, 04:15 PM
I keep telling this story but learning by personal experience burns things into your memory.

I was in the war zone in 2003 on the aircraft carriers Constellation and Nimitz. Before and after flying out to the ships I was at the base in Bahrain.

I had a pen clipped to my uniform. A Packer ink pen. As I interacted with the various commends and work centers on the carriers I met a Packer fan in every workcenter.

I got a lot of cooperation and special assistance and favors from the various workers and a little football chat. One rarely gets good customer service above what is standard for everyone. As a reservist officer showing up they many wanted Packer or football in general news.

Suprisingly, I met about a half dozen Steeler fans who were respectful of fan loyalty and liked that I was a football fan. My boss thought I was some kind of politician knowing so many varied people so fast. All because of a Packer pen I used.

On 2 ships with 5500 people and support commands ashore I stood out.
I would say there are more Packer fans in the Navy, then Steeler fans, then Cowboys idiots and then Chiefs fans.

Of non-Packer fans I've found that Steeler, Chief, and Dolphins fans are the best. Living in Northern California I have to say that one co-worker is the only sober Raider fan I've encountered. Viking, Jets, Eagles fans are the worst.

GBRulz
03-19-2007, 06:05 PM
What a bunch of crap....the Bears? I'll never forget a few years ago I was actually at O'Hare for my connecting flight. It was the year when they went 13-3 (2003 I think?) and then lost right away in the playoffs. Anyhow, the Bear fans there were the biggest bunch of whiney losers I have ever seen in my life.

Anyhow, as far as the best opposing fans? I'd have to say Bucs fans. I used to go down every year to Tampa when they were in our division. For the most part, a great group of fans to party with.
The worst? Viking fans. No, I have never been to a game at the MetroDump, but I've seen plenty of cocky @ssholes around Lambeau. Including the one F knob who thought it would be cool to key the entire hatch of my SUV. :x

MJZiggy
03-19-2007, 07:02 PM
I have never been in a war zone, but have also met Packer fans in odd places, most recently on a trail last summer on top of Vail Mountain.

I have also known plenty of Buc fans, but have to say that the Ravens fans are better. I have gone to M & T stadium any number of times in full Packer gear and the only ones to ever say anything about it were some Raiders fans once.

I've never met any horrible fans, but have heard bad things about Eagle fans.

And Dallas is NOT America's team. They invented that themselves because they were big headed enough to believe it.

Partial
03-19-2007, 07:04 PM
Best as in what regard? Most passionate or most nice and civilized?

Most diehard has gotta be Dallas.

]{ilr]3
03-19-2007, 08:42 PM
I am so tired of the Cowboys still being referred to as America's Team.
Thought they lost that title...............not that they ever deserved it to begin with!

The Cowboys are the Michael Jackson of the NFL. The Self proclaimed king of pop and the self proclaimed Americas team :lol:

retailguy
03-19-2007, 08:47 PM
The worst? Viking fans. No, I have never been to a game at the MetroDump, but I've seen plenty of cocky @ssholes around Lambeau. Including the one F knob who thought it would be cool to key the entire hatch of my SUV. :x

Well, I've been to a game at the metrodump, and have to disagree with you. Got there early (Vikings/Pats - Monday night last season). Got there early, wandered through the tailgate section next to the stadium prior to the game. Most fans were really nice. Some were @ssholes, but hey, I've met some at Lambeau too.

I really had a good time at that game, and enjoyed watching the Pats spank the Vikes too. (Sorry Ras...)

HarveyWallbangers
03-19-2007, 09:02 PM
Vikes fans are going to be nice to Pats fans. There's no rivalry. These cats are insane when it comes to the Packers. They have a serious inferiority complex. I've been to three games at the Metrodome (free tickets), and I didn't enjoy the experience of any of them. I've vowed never to return to that place for a Packers-Vikings games. For the most part, I think Minnesota fans are okay--just not when it comes to the Vikings-Packers. The only other group of Minnesota fans I don't like are the Gopher hockey fans. They are quite arrogant--even before they ended their 23-year championship drought. They are the one consistent winning team in the state among the mainstream sports (although college hockey is still a fringe sport). It leads me to believe that this place would be unbearable if the Vikings were to have sustained excellence.

packinpatland
03-19-2007, 10:10 PM
Worst fans? Any from NY, or should I say NJ? The Meadowlands is the worst.
I've been to Patriot games at Gillette, nice people. Been to Cardinal games in AZ, also nice folks.
Maybe it's just the 'in your face' NY-NJ attitude that seems to prevail out here.....bad news.

GBRulz
03-20-2007, 12:12 PM

Well, I've been to a game at the metrodump, and have to disagree with you. Got there early (Vikings/Pats - Monday night last season). Got there early, wandered through the tailgate section next to the stadium prior to the game. Most fans were really nice. Some were @ssholes, but hey, I've met some at Lambeau too.

I really had a good time at that game, and enjoyed watching the Pats spank the Vikes too. (Sorry Ras...)

I don't think you can compare a game against NE vs. a division rival like the packers. That's like being a Yankee fan and saying Red Sox fans are nice when you went to go see the BoSox play the Brewers. Put Yanks & BoSox together and it's a totally different scene. The same is said for a Viking / Packer game.

HarveyWallbangers
03-20-2007, 12:52 PM
I don't think you can compare a game against NE vs. a division rival like the packers. That's like being a Yankee fan and saying Red Sox fans are nice when you went to go see the BoSox play the Brewers. Put Yanks & BoSox together and it's a totally different scene. The same is said for a Viking / Packer game.

Exactly. I went to see the Packers in Nashville, and the Titans fans were great. I must say that some Seattle fans were pretty ornery in 1996 when I went out there. I think there were some diehards that were a little pissed that 25,000 Packer fans invaded their city for that game.

MJZiggy
03-20-2007, 12:59 PM
Too bad. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

packinpatland
03-20-2007, 01:43 PM

You're probably right.
The best game I've been to in years, was this past year when the Patriots played AND BEAT(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), the Bears at Gillette.

Zool
03-20-2007, 01:50 PM
I've been to a couple games at the giant outhouse in downtown Minneapolis. Nothing worse than you will get anywhere actually. Allot of booing when you walk by, but after the Vikes lose they calm down alot.

I have been to 2 at the dome over the years, and the Packers have won both. Maybe I'm a good luck charm at that hole.

I still wish they would build a new stadium.