PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, but here's a NEW word on Randy Moss...

ND72
03-19-2007, 04:20 PM
the word is NO. I was listening to Sirius Satelite Sports, and they had Al Davis on.

"The Patriots gave up a 2nd and a 7th for Wes Welker. Who in the world is Wes Welker? If anyone thinks for a second that I'm going to give up Randy Moss for anything less than that kid, you're an idiot."

Asked if there were ANY discussions between the Raiders and the Packers.

"No. They called once, I gave them 2 options. Their #1 pick for Randy Moss, or Aaron Rodgers, and 2nd round pick, and next years 3rd round pick for Randy Moss. They said no, and they haven't called back."

Fritz
03-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Good. Bet Al drafts Calvin Johnson and lets Moss gather moss on the bench.

Lurker64
03-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Well, two things spring to mind:

1) Davis is probably just posturing to try to increase the price.

2) The Packers probably won't sign Moss until the Raiders cut him, if Davis is even partially being honest.

CaliforniaCheez
03-19-2007, 04:34 PM
The word is never.

gbpackfan
03-19-2007, 04:42 PM
Al Davis is lying. Plain and simple. He is trying to drive the price up.

TT wanted a first round pick for Javon too. Then, when Denver wouldnt budge, he had to trade him for the duece.

If this trade goes down, it will go down on draft day.

DO NOT BELIEVE A SINGLE WORD THAT COMES OUT OF OWNERS/GMs MOUTHS THIS TIME OF YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pittstang5
03-19-2007, 04:56 PM
Whatever Al.......and Art Schell wasn't going to be fired.

red
03-19-2007, 04:56 PM
well then al gets nothing for him, because he has to cut him

he doesn't have the cap room to let him sit and rot

Chevelle2
03-19-2007, 04:58 PM
its possible Davis is just posturing..what is he gonna say "yeah, they offered me this crappy deal and im gonna have to take it cuz theres nothing else i can do"

HarveyWallbangers
03-19-2007, 05:02 PM
As far as I know, Oakland has the cap room. They don't owe him bonuses this offseason. They can afford his salary. I have a feeling Al Davis will be hard-headed and keep him. That's his M.O.

ND72
03-19-2007, 05:06 PM
As far as I know, Oakland has the cap room. They don't owe him bonuses this offseason. They can afford his salary. I have a feeling Al Davis will be hard-headed and keep him. That's his M.O.

Beat me to it. Oakland doesn't have any problems with cap money, that's not an issue. The ONLY person who has ever talked about Randy Moss being traded, or wanting to be traded....Bus Cook. But Al Davis has never come out and said, yeah we're officially shopping him...As far as I know Randy Moss has never came out and said get me out of here. Al Davis doesn't have to do anything. He can sit, if someone offers him something nice, maybe he'll do something then...but until then? Randy is his property.

red
03-19-2007, 05:08 PM

from what i've seen they had 6 million going into free agency

they did redo a couple guys deals, but they also have the #1 pick that will get primium money this year

when i was surfing the raiders forums looking for moss junk, a lot of people were talking about how the team had to cut jordan to free some cap room

they can keep moss and be under the cap, but they won't be able to do anything else, and they have more holes then we do

do you really let a guy eat 11 million of your cap that you could use to improve your team, just to prove a point? he won't play for them, it'll be 11 million in wasted money

b bulldog
03-19-2007, 05:33 PM
They do have the cap room to keep him but one has to wonder if they'd like to keep him around if his attitude doesn't change and risk him messing with their number one pick. I say it is 50\50.

green_bowl_packer
03-19-2007, 05:46 PM
I thought that the Raiders and Al Davis gave Moss' agent permission to negotiate with the Packers? I heard that confirmed on the link to Havel's radio show last week where he interviewed Ron Wolf. If anything was considered gospel or to come straight from the horses mouth, I suppose this would be it. This makes tuning out of all this Moss speculation crap until the draft seem like a good idea.

If you listen or have listened. . . did he or did he not say that they gave his agent permission? He does say that it could be a show of faith by the Raiders to Moss.

http://packershome.com/zAudio/Chris.Havel.Kevin.Garthwaite.Ron.Wolf.3.15.07.wav

Merlin
03-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Wow, Ted Thompson and Al Davis saying it's not going down. Who would have thought it? I mean a General Manager and an Owner would never lie about what they are doing in the future. I am completely floored, what has this world come to. First we are told the world is freezing, now it's melting now Al Gore's dropped weight and uped his speaking fee to $150,000 per speach to talk about the world melting.

Oh the irony!

packers11
03-19-2007, 07:21 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Randy Moss-WR-Raiders Mar. 19 - 7:24 pm et

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports league insiders are convinced that Randy Moss and Oakland are a "divorce waiting to happen."

There's no rush for a deal to get done before the draft. The Raiders may as well shop around to see who'll give them the highest or most picks.

Brohm
03-19-2007, 07:25 PM
I can wake up in the morning and click the magic 8-ball and be moreaccurate than all these stories.

retailguy
03-19-2007, 07:37 PM
I recognize that GM's and Owners all mislead at this time of the year, but, for some reason I don't doubt Al Davis on this one. That sounds like what Al Davis would ask for, it also sounds like what you'd expect Thompson to do after he heard the price.

I've always wondered whether or not this trade would happen. This confirms for me at least that it probably won't happen.

This trade has never made sense for Ted, and doesn't really make sense for Al Davis either.

I don't believe that Davis "HAS" to get rid of Moss. Clearly if the Raiders had a QB capable of chucking it down the field, Moss would come around. On that basis, I don't think they take Calvin Johnson either.

But that's just me. We'll see.

BooHoo
03-19-2007, 07:52 PM
If a deal IS made, it won't be until draft day.

Charles Woodson
03-19-2007, 07:58 PM
I recognize that GM's and Owners all mislead at this time of the year, but, for some reason I don't doubt Al Davis on this one. That sounds like what Al Davis would ask for, it also sounds like what you'd expect Thompson to do after he heard the price.

I've always wondered whether or not this trade would happen. This confirms for me at least that it probably won't happen.

This trade has never made sense for Ted, and doesn't really make sense for Al Davis either.

I don't believe that Davis "HAS" to get rid of Moss. Clearly if the Raiders had a QB capable of chucking it down the field, Moss would come around. On that basis, I don't think they take Calvin Johnson either.

But that's just me. We'll see.

One think i wondered if TT was pressured into this one. I mean once favre made his comments i wonder since TT hasnt done anythign in FA if maybe like the woodson signing he felt pressured to do something big.

gbgary
03-19-2007, 07:59 PM
the Packers "They said no, and they haven't called back."

good!! he and randy can rot together in raiderland. neither one is worth a crap anymore.

BallHawk
03-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Ok, so let me get this straight.

These GMs are lying? In a business that is based on pure speculation they aren't spilling out their most private and intricate thoughts? Al Davis isn't going on the radio and saying, "Randy Moss is a cancer on this team and we will accept a 3rd for him, if the time comes."? And why isn't TT stating that Aaron Rodgers is expendable and on the trading block?

Boy, I'm confused.

packers11
03-19-2007, 08:08 PM
Ok, so let me get this straight.

These GMs are lying? In a business that is based on pure speculation they aren't spilling out their most private and intricate thoughts? Al Davis isn't going on the radio and saying, "Randy Moss is a cancer on this team and we will accept a 3rd for him, if the time comes."? And why isn't TT stating that Aaron Rodgers is expendable and on the trading block?

Boy, I'm confused.

:lol:

esoxx
03-19-2007, 08:18 PM
I never believed this trade would happen from Day One. I still don't. Nothing's really changed.

MadtownPacker
03-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Whatever Al.......and Art Schell wasn't going to be fired.Yup, and that is that NFL Network's Adam Schefter reported it like a week before and was called a raider hater by the silver&crap organization only for it to come true.

Charles Woodson
03-19-2007, 08:48 PM
I never believed this trade would happen from Day One. I still don't. Nothing's really changed.
I really didnt have a lot of faith in the trade, but i keep hoping that ill get home from school one day and on the front page of ESPN it will read. MOss to the packers

packers11
03-19-2007, 09:00 PM
I really didnt have a lot of faith in the trade, but i keep hoping that ill get home from school one day and on the front page of ESPN it will read. MOss to the packers

HAHA same here... I open the ESPN window everyday after school... Look to the right for "BREAKING NEWS" but nothing yet...

pbmax
03-19-2007, 10:09 PM
I think Al may also be negotiating for this reason:

Welker was an RFA and property of the Fins, who, presumably, didn't want to get rid if him. And the Patriots were facing league pressure (so it has been reported) to not use poison pills in RFA contracts like the Vikes/Seahawks did last year.

Moss can easily MAKE the Raiders want to trade him. Different standard and different motivation means the price might be different.

I do agree if there was one owner who would eat a contract rather than capitulate to a player, its Davis. And for that stubborn bitterness, I applaud him.

packers11
03-19-2007, 10:37 PM
http://www.todaystmj4.com/sports/6581562.html

Packers' front office divided on Moss
David Marcus
Ted Thompson wants Randy Moss on the Packers, but outgoing CEO Bob Harlan doesn't. That's according to NBC 11 in San Francisco in a report on the station's website Monday afternoon.

There have been conflicting reports about Green Bay's interest in the moody wide receiver for weeks now. On Sunday, Packers officials told the Green-Bay Press Gazette the team has never talked to the Oakland Raiders about trading for Randy Moss. But early last week, the Boston Herald reported GM Ted Thompson had spoken directly with Raiders Owner Al Davis about getting Moss.

Patler
03-20-2007, 04:19 AM
So both a Boston newspaper and a San Francisco newspaper have inside sources to the Packers front office? Do they have the same for all NFL teams, or is their readership that interested in the Packers that they developed those sources?

cpk1994
03-20-2007, 07:13 AM
To be fair, San Fran is next door to Oakland

red
03-20-2007, 08:48 AM
So both a Boston newspaper and a San Francisco newspaper have inside sources to the Packers front office? Do they have the same for all NFL teams, or is their readership that interested in the Packers that they developed those sources?

it looks like there just taking the crap thats out there and twisting it around to make their own little news

the harlan not wanting moss probably comes right from his interview at fan fest

shows you how much of a joke the media is

Merlin
03-20-2007, 09:06 AM
I don't want to insult anyone here (like that's hard to do) but if you are naive enough to believe anything Thompson or Davis says prior to the draft then you are pretty naive about what goes on in the NFL. Their job is to keep their competition scrambling to figure out what they are going to do.

If the trade for Randy Moss is eminent, then you won't have a clue about what is really going to go down until draft day.

Think about it, the Raiders could then draft a WR with the #1 pick which could throw other teams off. Detroit and Minnesota both pick before us. We spent numerous draft picks trying to find someone to contain Moss. If they blow their first pick on someone who doesn't do that and then at #16 we make the deal, they are going to be scrambling to find someone to stop him. I think it's genius the way these guys work through it like that. I know mentioning Ted Thompson and the word Genius is a stretch but only Matt Millen would let someone know his intentions in the draft, it's kind of like GM 101.

cheesner
03-20-2007, 09:23 AM
I don't want to insult anyone here (like that's hard to do) but if you are naive enough to believe anything Thompson or
Think about it, the Raiders could then draft a WR with the #1 pick which could throw other teams off. Detroit and Minnesota both pick before us. We spent numerous draft picks trying to find someone to contain Moss. If they blow their first pick on someone who doesn't do that and then at #16 we make the deal, they are going to be scrambling to find someone to stop him. I think it's genius the way these guys work through it like that. I know mentioning Ted Thompson and the word Genius is a stretch but only Matt Millen would let someone know his intentions in the draft, it's kind of like GM 101.
OR, there is no trade but the Packers want the rest of the NFC north to think there may be. Although I think the deal would be in the 3rd round if there is going to be one. Additionally, we may be targeting a WR in round 1. If all the other teams think we are getting Moss, they may not trade ahead of us to get a WR. Lots of angles on this.

Merlin
03-20-2007, 09:26 AM
Could be, but the trade rumors are too loud on this one. They are coming out of the woodwork. I expect a trade during the draft, round 3 would be a good one since all three NFC North teams will have exhausted anyone worth anything the first year of their career by then.

pbmax
03-20-2007, 12:33 PM
That's an interesting thought. Harlan going public to stymie the acquisition of Moss. Never got the sense he would operate that way, or perhaps as outgoing CEO, maybe he is on the other side of both Thompson AND Jones?

Or is setting a backfire to counter the stories that Favre is pressuring the team to get Moss. Or is he reverse Al Davis, trying to drive the price down.

Like sands through the hourglass, so are the Days of Our Packers....

-cue music-

it looks like there just taking the crap thats out there and twisting it around to make their own little news

the harlan not wanting moss probably comes right from his interview at fan fest

shows you how much of a joke the media is

woodbuck27
03-20-2007, 12:42 PM
its possible Davis is just posturing..what is he gonna say "yeah, they offered me this crappy deal and im gonna have to take it cuz theres nothing else i can do"

''Asked if there were ANY discussions between the Raiders and the Packers.

"No. They called once, I gave them 2 options. Their #1 pick for Randy Moss, or Aaron Rodgers, and 2nd round pick, and next years 3rd round pick for Randy Moss. They said no, and they haven't called back." ND72

The above says that 'the Packers' offered only a NO to Al Davis's proposal.

A proposal that is preposterous. A proposal that ties Ted Thompson's hands in regards to acquiring Randy Moss non-withstanding all else.

packers11
03-20-2007, 01:32 PM
"The Raider coaching staff was told to take a close look at KGB on film. Looks like Moss is gone for KGB."

^ on raiders forum...

quotes from posters...

"they were told that cuz they weren't sure he was still in the league"
"If they watch the 49er game they can see Gore run right at KGB and then see KGB get benched in favor of Cullen Jenkins in the 2nd half. Jenkins then started the last 3 games at RDE in place of KGB."
"KGB has a pretty phat contract too - I would rather get someone else but beggars can't be choosers."

haha... pretty entertaining down there in raider land ...

This "rumor" has no link yet (SO DON'T FLAME ME)

woodbuck27
03-20-2007, 01:36 PM
"The Raider coaching staff was told to take a close look at KGB on film. Looks like Moss is gone for KGB."

^ on raiders forum...

quotes from posters...

"they were told that cuz they weren't sure he was still in the league"
"If they watch the 49er game they can see Gore run right at KGB and then see KGB get benched in favor of Cullen Jenkins in the 2nd half. Jenkins then started the last 3 games at RDE in place of KGB."
"KGB has a pretty phat contract too - I would rather get someone else but beggars can't be choosers."

haha... pretty entertaining down there in raider land ...

This "rumor" has no link yet (SO DON'T FLAME ME)

Yup.

Any rumor that includes KGB as a part of a trade does make some sense.

HarveyWallbangers
03-20-2007, 01:42 PM
"No. They called once, I gave them 2 options. Their #1 pick for Randy Moss, or Aaron Rodgers, and 2nd round pick, and next years 3rd round pick for Randy Moss. They said no, and they haven't called back." ND72

The above says that 'the Packers' offered only a NO to Al Davis's proposal.

I would have laughed too--if that was an actual proposal.

SudsMcBucky
03-20-2007, 03:14 PM
I don't know if Moss will ever end up being a Packer, but he WON'T play another down for Oakland. If he's not traded to ANY team or cut, Al is even more senile than I ever thought.

red
03-20-2007, 03:21 PM
I don't know if Moss will ever end up being a Packer, but he WON'T play another down for Oakland. If he's not traded to ANY team or cut, Al is even more senile than I ever thought.

agreed

motife
03-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Peter King at S.I. wrote basically the same thing Al Davis said :

"I think Randy Moss is not getting traded unless someone offers the Raiders something significant. Like a high second-round pick. They're not taking less than the Patriots dealt for Wes Welker (a two and a seven), that's for sure. I'm also told that the Packers have had not only had no substantive discussions with the Raiders for Moss this offseason, but as G.M. Ted Thompson said this weekend, they've had no discussions with the Raiders for Moss.

So how does such a story like this spring to life, a life that has no end in Sports Talk America and Sports Blog America? My theory is that because a story may make sense -- in this case, the Packers being interested in a star wide receiver at a bargain price; because the current editions of the Raiders and Packers are relatively source-proof (and I say "relatively,'' because every organization has sources); and because Al Davis is as mysterious as ever, that a story can take on a major-league life with one tiny tidbit repeated 63 times. We seem to love gossip in this country. And why should sports be different than Hollywood?"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/03/18/overtime/4.html

Merlin
03-20-2007, 06:45 PM
Like I said earlier, it's all smoke and mirrors. I truly believe that Moss has played his last down in Oakland. Al Davis is a little loco...

DannoMac21
03-20-2007, 10:40 PM
Lance Allen on TMJ4 just said that on a phone interview with Harlan, that San Francisco Paper report was 100% NOT TRUE. He said he has NEVER told Thompson he doesn't want Randy Moss. He DID say that Thompson has talked to him about Moss. He also said that from what he's gathered from the fans, its 60/40 that the fans don't want Moss. He stands by his motive that football people make the football decisions though.