PDA

View Full Version : No, the Oregon Powerball winner is not me...

oregonpackfan
03-19-2007, 08:35 PM
At the risk of sacrificing my internet anonymity, I shared a few months ago, my last name of Gannon. I will not reveal my first name. Let's just say that some of the first names I have been called cannot be printed in a family-friendly forum. :)

Please see below where an Oregon Poweball winner, Daniel Gannon, recently won $182 million. He hails from Milwaukie,(yes, that is the weird way they spell "Milwaukee" out here) a suburb of Portland, OR.

He has the same surname as me but we are not related.

Hmm, perhaps I should give him a call with "I am your long lost brother desperately in need of financial help..."

A few months ago, I shared an amusing story where my 8th grade daughter shared with her schoolmates that her "Real Dad" was Oakland Raider QB Rich Gannon. This took place about 6 years ago. I entitled the thread "A Lesson In Football Honesty."

Like Daniel Gannon, Rich Gannon and I are not related.

Geez, What does it take for me to win my "15 minutes of Fame?" I have an uncommon last name but I am not related to a Powerball winner nor a former all-Pro NFL QB!

Oh, wait! Former figure skaker Tonya Harding was just in the news again last week. She breaks the headlines out here about every 6 months when she gets into a domestic dispute with one of her rotating, live-in boyfriends.

Perhaps if I hook up with her, fame will not be far behind! Have you any advice for me? A curious mind wants to know! 8-)

OPF

Travel tops Ore. Powerball winner's list

05:12 PM PDT on Monday, March 19, 2007

By kgw.com Staff

MILWAUKIE, Ore. -- One sleepless night after learning he had the winning $182 million Powerball jackpot ticket, Daniel Gannon of Milwaukie claimed his prize Monday at the lottery office in Salem.

KTVB graphic

Powerball ticket.

Gannon, 60, matched all five numbers and the power ball number in Saturday's multi-state Powerball lottery game.

He bought the ticket at the Safeway on Southeast McLoughlin Boulevard in Milwaukie on Friday. Gannon and his wife Candy were on their way to dinner and stopped at the store to use the ATM. After retrieving his cash, Gannon noticed the size of the Powerball jackpot.

AUDIO: Powerball winner describes buying jackpot ticket

“I saw how big the jackpot was and bought a $5 quick pick,” said Gannon, who has worked at PGE for 35 years.

It was in the final set of numbers on his ticket that he matched the combination drawn.

“I’m happy for them because it could not go to anybody better," said Dan Gannon's stepson. “I know they’ll do something good with the money. The first thing they talked about was doing something good, not just spoiling themselves.”

When asked about his future plans, Gannon also said travel was near the top of the list.

“We have children all over the United States and I’ve been interested in going to Ireland,” he said.

AP

A woman checks her Powerball numbers.
The winning Powerball numbers were 7, 17, 44, 47, and 54, with a Powerball number of 3.

The Safeway store will receive $100,000.

Gannon could take a lump sum of more than $88 million or choose to take their prize in a 30-installment annuity, which would pay out an average of about $4 million annually after taxes.

In October of 2005, a Southern Oregon family won a $340 million Powerball jackpot.

In fact, this is the fourth time that someone in Oregon has won the drawing's grand prize.

Charles Woodson
03-19-2007, 09:05 PM
Well even if he isnt related to you, its a great time to be his friend :)