PDA

View Full Version : Vonta Leach - a hot commodity????

falco
03-19-2007, 09:46 PM
Apparently one team's trash is another teams treasure....

FROM PFT

GIANTS WANNA VONTA

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Giants have signed Texans fullback Vonta Leach, a restricted free agent, to an offer sheet.

Per Schefter, it's a four-year deal worth $8 million, with $1.6 million in guaranteed money.

The Texans have seven days to decide whether to match the offer. If they choose not to meet the terms, the Texans will receive nothing in return because Leach was undrafted and received the low tender of $850,000.

For only $450,000 more in 2007 salary, the Texans could have tendered Leach at a level that would have given them a second-round pick as compensation.

It's unclear whether the offer sheet contains a poison pill, but based on the overall magnitude of the package it's unlikely. And we continue to be amazed by the fact that no one has inserted a poison pill into any of the restricted free agent offer sheets tendered to date.

But not everyone is surprised. As one league insider opined to us over the weekend, "There is definitely collusion" among the various NFL teams regarding this issue. The speculation in this regard (and we must emphasize that it's only speculation) is that the NFL management council is putting out the word to the teams not to use the poison pill, which technically represents a valid device for promoting player movement.

pbmax
03-19-2007, 09:53 PM
Why do I suddenly have a strong sense of deja vu? Must be the Texans O Coordinator... :lol:

oregonpackfan
03-19-2007, 10:12 PM
Why do I suddenly have a strong sense of deja vu? Must be the Texans O Coordinator... :lol:

All together now, " Bring back Mike, bring back Mike,...."

CaliforniaCheez
03-20-2007, 02:24 AM
That should tell you enough about this year's free agent market.

Vonta Leach?? David Martin?? Bobby Wade??

Save the money for when real players are on the market or
keeping players like Nick Barnett and Corey Williams from hitting the market.

LaFours
03-20-2007, 07:43 AM
I would imagine that this is a ploy by the giants to keep the texans on their back. Other teams should take note. Think of it from this perspective, if every team in the league at one point attempts to overpay a player from the texans (specifically a player that Sherman is in love with) then the texans will continue to outbid to retain said players. Thus, Texans payroll will become bloated with mediocrity.

CaliforniaCheez
03-20-2007, 08:28 AM
Aside from good ol' Vonta Leach
Brad Bedell
Mike Flanagan
Samkon Gado
Ahman Green
Atlas Herrion
Jason Horton
Ben Steele
Chris White

are all on Houston's Roster.

The fans complains more about the ex-Broncos though.

"Houston, we have a problem."

pittstang5
03-20-2007, 08:46 AM
Aside from good ol' Vonta Leach
Brad Bedell
Mike Flanagan
Samkon Gado
Ahman Green
Atlas Herrion
Jason Horton
Ben Steele
Chris White

are all on Houston's Roster.

The fans complains more about the ex-Broncos though.

"Houston, we have a problem."

WOW! I new there were a couple, but I didn't know there were that many.

red
03-20-2007, 08:56 AM
vonta f'cking leach gets a 4 year 8 million dollar deal and TT thinks a 3 year 3.9 million dollar deal is way out of his price range for a FB

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Merlin
03-20-2007, 09:18 AM
Well, it isn't all that surprising really. Those players fit the type of offense that Sherman runs. Why wouldn't he try to pick up players he already has experience with? Makes sense to me. The problem wasn't Sherman's offense, it was the defense. When Sherman called the plays in Green Bay is when the offense really clicked the best. Now he is in that position, I wish him luck as long as it's not against us.

retailguy
03-20-2007, 09:50 AM
vonta f'cking leach gets a 4 year 8 million dollar deal and TT thinks a 3 year 3.9 million dollar deal is way out of his price range for a FB

Don't worry. We'll find a "diamond in the rough". I believe.

red
03-20-2007, 09:57 AM

Don't worry. We'll find a "diamond in the rough". I believe.

BRING ON THE UNDRAFTED ROOKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guiness
03-20-2007, 10:06 AM
I noticed a while back that Flanagan isn't listed on the Texan's depth chart. Did he end up on the IR last year?

That kind of money seems wild for Leach, a guy that was cut from 2 teams last year, then given the minimum tender...

pbmax
03-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Its not just the money (and the Sherman's aren't even offering the deal). Its also the fact that they low tendered a guy and now it will bite them it the hindquarters. Reminds me of the head days of KGB's RFA year and Na'il Diggs RFA years....

woodbuck27
03-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Hey Vonta !!

Here comes the ball. . .a really slow wideout pass left from Favre, that any six grader could snap.

Here it comes so slow and yes ! Vonta has this one. . .

Nope. . . another drop.

Merlin
03-20-2007, 06:49 PM
I just spit out my pop...

I don't care who you are, now that's funny....and yet sad at the same time...