PDA

View Full Version : Barnett shows up for workouts without new contract

packers11
03-19-2007, 10:16 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070319/PKR01/70319179/1989

Barnett shows up for workouts without new contract

By TOM PELISSERO
Green Bay Press-Gazette

Green Bay Packers linebacker Nick Barnett is focused on the season ahead — not the contract extension he still hasn’t received from the Packers, his agent said Monday.

“There is no drop-dead date (for negotiations), because there’s nothing we can do,” Chuck Price said. “He’s under contract, and he’s playing.

“Now, the longer he plays without a (long-term) contract, does it affect him mentally? … I can’t tell you that. He doesn’t feel good about it. But it’s something he can’t control, so he’s not worrying about it.”

Price said he hadn’t spoken to Packers officials about Barnett’s deal in roughly a month and hadn’t gotten a response to an e-mail he sent last week. But Barnett, 25, was present for the first day of the team’s offseason workout program Monday, Price said.

A first-round draft pick out of Oregon State in 2003, Barnett is scheduled to make $1.95 million in base salary in the final season of his original rookie deal. He started 15 games at middle linebacker last season, missing one with a hand injury, and finished second on the team with 141 tackles (88 solo).

Meanwhile, the Packers released linebacker Kurt Campbell, a seventh-round draft choice in 2005.

esoxx
03-19-2007, 10:22 PM
It's pretty sad when this passes for news nowadays.

Imagine, a player under contract showing up to attend offseason workouts. Amazing.

packers11
03-19-2007, 10:27 PM
If he hits UFA... We are screwed because he will be long gone with some team paying top dollar...

Partial
03-19-2007, 10:29 PM
TT is retarded. This cat shoulda been signed already. 6 years 36 mil.

MJZiggy
03-19-2007, 11:11 PM
He said he was gonna honor his contract and do all the things he does. I don't know why anyone is surprised by this. I've heard they're working on it, but there's no real rush right this instant...

pittstang5
03-20-2007, 08:42 AM
He said he was gonna honor his contract and do all the things he does. I don't know why anyone is surprised by this. I've heard they're working on it, but there's no real rush right this instant...

Absolutely! They've got plenty of time. Hell, Driver didn't get his extension until May of last year, if I'm not mistaken. (Although, I was surprised he got one...pleasantly surprised because he deserved it)

I gotta think the front office is working on draft stuff now and will focus more on the players they want to keep long term after the draft. Barnett and Williams, I'm sure are the players that TT will want to keep and will get something done around Training Camp time.

red
03-20-2007, 08:52 AM
If he hits UFA... We are screwed because he will be long gone with some team paying top dollar...

yup

but i'm thinking it might already be too late. if you're nick, do you resign with the packers for a big deal, or do you hit the open market next year and hit the jackpot?

because TT won't give him that jackpot

MJZiggy
03-20-2007, 08:56 AM
He says he wants to stay and I believe him. Some guys just truly want to be where they are.

red
03-20-2007, 09:00 AM
He says he wants to stay and I believe him. Some guys just truly want to be where they are.

players say a lot of things when they're trying to get more money out of their team

why would he want to stay? the whole city trying to close down my club would have been enough for me to tell the city to piss off

i think green said he didn't want to leave either. its amazing what another team offering twice as much money can do to a players team loyalty

LL2
03-20-2007, 09:01 AM
He will get his new deal. TT knows he’s better than all the LB that were FA this year. I think it would’ve been done by now if it wasn’t for all the funny money deals that were handed out this year. Barnett knows he’s better than most of those guys, and probably wants 6-7 mil a year. He knows he will get that much or more if he waits until next year. I agree with Partial. Give him 6 yrs/ 36 mil and call it a day.

Merlin
03-20-2007, 09:14 AM

players say a lot of things when they're trying to get more money out of their team

why would he want to stay? the whole city trying to close down my club would have been enough for me to tell the city to piss off

i think green said he didn't want to leave either. its amazing what another team offering twice as much money can do to a players team loyalty

I don't think there is a correlation between loyalty and money. Money is a matter of economics, Loyalty is a matter of ethics and morality. No one "buys" loyalty. I am very loyal to the company I work for and it has nothing to do with how much they pay me even though I cam here for the money from a company I was loyal to. If someone offers me twice what I am making, I wold be a fool not to give it serious consideration and more then likely take it provided the job is the same. You only live once and in an NFL players career you only have a small window to get that big paycheck, unlike the rest of us who have a working lifetime. Green and Barnett are both classy guys and you can take what they say at face value. Someone like Javon Walker or Terrell Owens, you can't.