PDA

View Full Version : Packers talk to Kevan Barlow's agent

packers11
03-19-2007, 10:40 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070319/PKR01/70319173/1989

Packers talk to Kevan Barlow's agent

By Tom Pelissero
Green Bay Press-Gazette

The Green Bay Packers might find their running back of the future in next month’s NFL draft, but it doesn’t appear the team has ruled out signing a veteran to help fill the void left by Ahman Green.

One option could be Kevan Barlow, who was cut by the New York Jets last month after one subpar season.

Barlow’s agent, Doug Hendrickson, said Monday he had preliminary talks with the Packers on Friday at the University of Michigan’s pro day workout. The odds are long Barlow will sign anywhere before the draft, instead waiting to see where the top rookies land.

“There are two good backs (Oklahoma’s Adrian Peterson and California’s Marshawn Lynch) in the draft,” Hendrickson said. “There’s more maybe later on Day 1 or Day 2. But really, there are two good backs, and the rest are marginal, at best.”

After rushing for |1,024 yards in 2003, the 6-foot-1, 234-pound, sixth-year pro saw his production tail off his last two years with the |San Francisco 49ers. The Jets acquired him with a fourth-round draft pick before last season, but Barlow ran for a career-low |370 yards, fell to third on the depth chart and was released.

It’s unlikely any team will pay anything near the $3.25 million in 2007 or $4 million in 2008 he was due under his old contract.

Hendrickson said Buffalo, Tennessee and Indianapolis also have inquired about Barlow, 28.

Peterson and Lynch, both underclassmen, are considered |first-round locks, but it’s unclear whether either will be on the board when the Packers select at No. 16 overall. For instance, Buffalo, which picks 12th, needs a back after trading Willis McGahee to Baltimore.

There’s not much leftover in free agency. Green (Houston Texans), Travis Henry (Denver Broncos), Jamal Lewis (Cleveland Browns), Dominic Rhodes (Oakland Raiders), Correll Buckhalter (Philadelphia Eagles) and |T.J. Duckett (Detroit Lions), have signed elsewhere.

It is believed Buffalo and Detroit were close to a deal with former Tennessee Titans back Chris Brown but backed off when the price got too high. The Packers have been in contact with Brown’s agent, Wynn Silberman, who did not return a message Monday afternoon.

Even if Packers General Manager Ted Thompson is willing to roll the dice with some combination of Vernand Morency, Noah Herron and Arliss Beach, signing a veteran would provide insurance.

The Packers haven't contacted Corey Dillon, the 32-year-old former Cincinnati and New England back.

“He knows the days of carrying the ball 20 times a game, 25 times a game are gone,” said Dillon’s agent, Steven Feldman. “But he’d like to carry it 10, 12, 15 times.”

Feldman said Dillon is keeping his options open, but wants to join a team “on the verge of the playoffs.”

Younger backs with significant playing experience probably are priced out of the Packers’ range. The San Diego Chargers recently gave restricted free agent Michael Turner — the backup to league MVP LaDainian Tomlinson — a reported $2.35 million tender, ensuring the team will receive first- and third-round draft choices from any team that signs him.

packers11
03-19-2007, 10:41 PM
hes a piece of garbage...

LaFours
03-20-2007, 07:50 AM
hes a piece of garbage...

I sometimes use my garbage (just the organic stuff) as fertilizer on my garden. It works great. Maybe the Packers can do the same with Barlow...just a thought.

Guiness
03-20-2007, 10:26 AM
Looked so promising a few years ago - I took him in a FF league expecting him to pass Hearst on the depth chart, but that certainly never happened.

Doesn't look like he has what it takes to be a feature back. He's had a couple of opportunities, and hasn't succeeded. But, 2 teams saw enough in him to give him the chance, so I think it's 6's if we bring a guy like him, or a UFA in as a camp body.

I STILL don't know what happened between Buffalo and McGahee. Why were they so hot to get rid of him?

ND72
03-20-2007, 10:40 AM
I think I can run faster than Kevan Barlow.

HarveyWallbangers
03-20-2007, 11:07 AM
I haven't seen him the last two years, but when I saw him a few years ago, I was a big fan. Maybe the only one out there.
:D

Not sure if he's fallen off that dramatically or he's been in poor situations.

gbpackfan
03-20-2007, 11:35 AM
No one thinks he would be a nice compliment to V. Morency? He's a big boy and could be the power back. He did bang in 6 TDs last season in NY while Leon Washington was the scat back. I don't think he would be a great signing, but he could be effective if they use him right.

pittstang5
03-20-2007, 11:48 AM
Even though I'm not comfortable with the Pack's current RB situation, I don't think getting Barlow is going to be an improvement. With that said, besides Green, I don't think there was or is anyone else out there that I like. I guess I'd rather stick with what they have and draft someone.

The next couple months will be interesting in seeing what TT does with the RB situation.

HarveyWallbangers
03-20-2007, 11:50 AM
If he comes cheap, I certainly think he's an upgrade on Noah Herron. We don't have a short yardage banger.

Zool
03-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Did Barlow compare Nolan to Hitler after he was traded last year?

Sounds like he isn't a big fan of discipline. Pass.

Merlin
03-20-2007, 06:50 PM
I think he is more of a punishing type runner isn't he? Doesn't sound like a good fit if that's the case...

Joemailman
03-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Barlow suffered a knee injury in December 2005, and then averaged less than 3 YPC in 2006 for the Jets. Unless the knee was bothering him in 2006, and is now better, it sounds like he has lost whatever speed he had.

Freak Out
03-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Barlow? TT better be able to find better cast-offs than him or were done.