PDA

View Full Version : Is Money An Issue?

Packnut
03-20-2007, 12:49 PM
Ran across this at ESPN. Joyner is'nt that bad and seem's knowledgable most of the time. I know the Pack is somewhere around the middle in team income but I don't remember how much cash they have on hand in the bank. Who knows, may-be cash is an issue?

Lane (Kukuihaele, HI): Are you suprised that Green Bay, with all their cap room, has not signed a big name free agent? What is Ted Thompson waiting for?

KC Joyner: Lane, I think it's called running a football team on a tight budget. You don't usually win a Super Bowl this way but each team has its own goals.

LL2
03-20-2007, 12:53 PM
I don't think the Packers are tight, it's TT who is tight. I believe the Packers are around 10th in the league in generating revenue, which is really good considering they are the smallest market team. They also have somewhere around 120 mil is a cash reserve. Patler may know more, and possibly someone that goes to the summer stock holders meeting.

CaliforniaCheez
03-20-2007, 12:56 PM
The Packers were 11th in revenue, I believe, the last time the Forbes list came out. The have the lowest amount of debt of any franchise by a large margin.

They have over 110 million in a "rainy day" fund collecting interest. They can pay salaries for one year with zero revenue. Financially, the Packers are in very good shape compared to other franchises.

It is a poor free agent market. Why incur and expense for multiple years that is not a good one.

The comment about Green Bay's finances is off the mark and an uninformed one by Joyner. Just before the stockholder's meeting the finances will be revealed. No other team does that.

Everything is great in financial terms.

Packnut
03-20-2007, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the info!

CaliforniaCheez
03-20-2007, 01:33 PM
Value:
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/30/06nfl_NFL-Team-Valuations_Value.html

Packers franchise estimated worth is 13th. That's the one Bob Harlan laughs at because the team will never be sold.

Revenue:
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/30/06nfl_NFL-Team-Valuations_Revenue.html

Forbes listed the packers as tied for 12th in revenue

Debt:

Packers have the lowest debt at around 5%.
The vikings had the most debt in gross and % terms.

The numbers from Forbes are estimated and are for revenues from the 2005 season. The Packers moved up on the list during 2006.

As a high revenue team the Packers had to "share" some of their revenues with bottom feeders like the vikings.