PDA

View Full Version : Draft Summary?

MJZiggy
03-20-2007, 02:08 PM
Last year, predicting the Packers draft choices and debating them was easy because we picked so high. This year, not as easy. A lot of people have us taking Lynch. As I don't really follow college ball, could you guys share what the options are likely to be with the 16th pick? Who will realistically still be on the board at that pick and do they fit our needs? I'm looking for a list of people so when the great debate begins I know who you're talking about.

privatepacker
03-20-2007, 02:20 PM
Ziggy,
All I can say is that TT will take the best player available. If a player like Branch falls to us, then I bet he becomes a Packer. If the draft goes as expected, i think the choices will be Revis, Lynch, Carriker, and Nelson. I have to think the best person of that lot will be Lynch which is why everyone has us picking him.

red
03-20-2007, 02:32 PM
it might be easiest to to go here to find out some info ziggy

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/prospects/

probably just check out everyone picked to go in the first round

cause we could almost pick any of those guy to tell the truth

except maybe jamarcus and calvin

packrulz
03-20-2007, 03:01 PM
I think a lot of it hinges on Randy Moss, TT has supposedly talked to Al Davis about Moss but obviously Al wants a 1st round pick for Moss and TT wisely declined. Davis might lower his demands on draft day though, and that would change everything. TT will never give up his first round pick for a FA, he could trade down but at that point in the draft I don't see anyone a team would be willing to give up much to trade up for. I think Lynch will be gone so some players that might be there would be Reggie Nelson, S, Florida, Leon Hall, CB, Mich, (he can return punts too), Jon Beason, OLB, Florida, & Ted Ginn Jr., WR, Florida, who also has world class speed & can return punts and kicks. One or more of these guys will be there when TT picks and I wouldn't be suprised if he took any one of them. I've stated before that I don't like taking WR's in the 1st round but Ginn Jr. is an interesting prospect with his world class speed and his ability to return punts and kicks he could have an instant impact on special teams and defenses would have to be spread back if he goes out for a deep pass from Favre. I've changed my mind about Ginn Jr., I won't be disappointed if TT takes him. Yea, he's injured but it doesn't sound serious. Look at the impact Devin Hester had with the Bears.

red
03-20-2007, 03:23 PM
I think a lot of it hinges on Randy Moss, TT has supposedly talked to Al Davis about Moss but obviously Al wants a 1st round pick for Moss and TT wisely declined. Davis might lower his demands on draft day though, and that would change everything. TT will never give up his first round pick for a FA, he could trade down but at that point in the draft I don't see anyone a team would be willing to give up much to trade up for. I think Lynch will be gone so some players that might be there would be Reggie Nelson, S, Florida, Leon Hall, CB, Mich, (he can return punts too), Jon Beason, OLB, Florida, & Ted Ginn Jr., WR, Florida, who also has world class speed & can return punts and kicks. One or more of these guys will be there when TT picks and I wouldn't be suprised if he took any one of them. I've stated before that I don't like taking WR's in the 1st round but Ginn Jr. is an interesting prospect with his world class speed and his ability to return punts and kicks he could have an instant impact on special teams and defenses would have to be spread back if he goes out for a deep pass from Favre. I've changed my mind about Ginn Jr., I won't be disappointed if TT takes him. Yea, he's injured but it doesn't sound serious. Look at the impact Devin Hester had with the Bears.

i would add meachem and bowe to your list

and say that our guy will probably come out of there

and beason is from the U, not florida

HarveyWallbangers
03-20-2007, 03:28 PM
Man, I hope Branch doesn't fall to us. I have a feeling that our pick will be one of these players:

RB Marshawn Lynch
WR Robert Meachem
WR Sidney Rice
WR Dwayne Bowe
WR Sidney Rice
WR Dwayne Jarrett
TE Greg Olsen
DE Adam Carriker (he's rising up the boards though)
OLB Lawrence Timmons
CB Leon Hall
S Reggie Nelson
S Michael Griffin

I'm hopeful Zach Miller (unlikely he'll drop), Brandon Jackson, Antonio Pittman, and Eric Weddle get a look in the next round or two.

red
03-20-2007, 03:35 PM
Man, I hope Branch doesn't fall to us. I have a feeling that our pick will be one of these players:

RB Marshawn Lynch
WR Robert Meachem
WR Sidney Rice
WR Dwayne Bowe
WR Sidney Rice
WR Dwayne Jarrett
TE Greg Olsen
DE Adam Carriker (he's rising up the boards though)
OLB Lawrence Timmons
CB Leon Hall
S Reggie Nelson
S Michael Griffin

I'm hopeful Zach Miller (unlikely he'll drop), Brandon Jackson, Antonio Pittman, and Eric Weddle get a look in the next round or two.

draft ace has an awesome (IMO) mock draft for us

bowe in the first (i'd rather have meachem and his speed, but bowe could be a beast)
pittman in the second

and weddle in the third, i would love it if he was actually there in the third. of course TT would probably still draft a guy we've never heard of before

packrulz
03-20-2007, 03:37 PM

i would add meachem and bowe to your list

and say that our guy will probably come out of there

and beason is from the U, not florida

Bowe is big but slow and drops passes, Meachem I like but not as fast as Ginn Jr. and if TT drafts a WR or CB I would like one that can return punts or kicks since the special teams have sucked the last few years.

HarveyWallbangers
03-20-2007, 03:41 PM
As a Buckeye fan, I'd rather have Meachem than Ginn.

wist43
03-20-2007, 03:48 PM
As a Buckeye fan, I'd rather have Meachem than Ginn.

I agree... don't trust Ginn.

bigcoz75
03-20-2007, 03:52 PM
Bowe is big but slow and drops passes, Meachem I like but not as fast as Ginn Jr. and if TT drafts a WR or CB I would like one that can return punts or kicks since the special teams have sucked the last few years.
Slow?
Dwayne Bowe WR Bowe (6-2, 218) ran his 40s in 4.49 and 4.40 seconds. He also had a 37½-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-5 broad jump.

HarveyWallbangers
03-20-2007, 04:02 PM
I think has potential, but I wasn't impressed with his interview on the NFL Channel. He seems not the sharpest tool in the shed.

packrulz
03-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Slow?
Dwayne Bowe WR Bowe (6-2, 218) ran his 40s in 4.49 and 4.40 seconds. He also had a 37½-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-5 broad jump.

That is fast for a big man, I didn't know that. I read he was slow on NFLdraftcountdown. I admit I've never seen him play but he sounds like a beast. The Pack still needs a good kick returner though.

red
03-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Slow?

That is fast for a big man, I didn't know that. I read he was slow on NFLdraftcountdown. I admit I've never seen him play but he sounds like a beast. The Pack still needs a good kick returner though.

i never heard about the 4.40 that makes a big difference. i only heard about and saw the 4.49, which they thought was a 4.54 or something like that when it happened

i will say he looked good running it though, he didn't look out of place like he shouldn't be running like you see with some guys. it looked natural

HarveyWallbangers
03-20-2007, 04:18 PM
I don't know what he ran at his campus workout (those are often inflated), but I think Bowe and Rice both ran in the low-to-mid 4.5s at the combine. I think that's fast enough for a big receiver. Everybody is scared off by Mike Williams, but he was running in the 4.7s in his workouts. That's TE speed.

bigcoz75
03-20-2007, 04:20 PM
Those times did come from his pro day so take it for what that's worth.
http://nfl.com/draft/analysis/individual_workouts#LSU
Still impressive for me. Didn't Jennings run mid 4.5s last year and he sure looked like he had breakaway speed. I've only seen Bowe play a few times and what impressed me most was his ability to muscle the ball away from defenders tearing it out of their hands in a jump ball situation. There's something about his build that just reminds me of Sterling Sharpe.

red
03-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Those times did come from his pro day so take it for what that's worth.
http://nfl.com/draft/analysis/individual_workouts#LSU
Still impressive for me. Didn't Jennings run mid 4.5s last year and he sure looked like he had breakaway speed. I've only seen Bowe play a few times and what impressed me most was his ability to muscle the ball away from defenders tearing it out of their hands in a jump ball situation. There's something about his build that just reminds me of Sterling Sharpe.

jennings ran a 4.42 at the combine

i've seen his 40 numbers estimated all over the place, anywhere from 4.3 to 4.6

HarveyWallbangers
03-20-2007, 04:34 PM
I believe Jennings ran in the mid-to-high 4.4s, but I'm not sure if that was a combine time or a campus workout time. Depending on the campus site, times can be inflated. I know the Ohio State and Nebraska times are often inflated because of the fast tracks there.

red
03-20-2007, 04:55 PM
bowe did run the 4.40 at his pro day, meaning it doesn't count in my book

when he ran it at the combine on the same track as everyone else so you can compare everyone he ran a 4.51 and i think a 4.61

Charles Woodson
03-20-2007, 05:31 PM
40 times are meaningless imo. Put some pads on the kid and suit him up and make him run on a feild, then that would mean something, but theres a difference between timed speed and football speed

red
03-23-2007, 10:09 PM
i found this on footballsfuture. i'm not sure if anyones posted this yet

RB Bush has second leg surgery
Louisville running back Michael Bush is in the hospital after having a second surgery on his leg. Bush, who broke the leg last September, had the old rod removed from his leg and a new one put in.

He will be unable to run for scouts before the NFL draft in April, but he is expected to be ready before NFL training camps begin.

This will undoubtedly drop his stock and he could fall to the second day.

------------------------------

this guys gonna drop like a brick IMO

The Leaper
03-24-2007, 12:16 AM
I just do not see how Meachem is a first round draft pick...especially mid-1st. The guy was invisible for two college seasons before finally breaking through. However, I get the feeling he is more of an athlete playing football than a true football player. He is a very sub par blocker and seemed to have difficulty against many physical CBs...who he will see far more of in the NFL. Bowe doesn't have elite speed or size...I don't see how he is a top 20 pick either. The WR position is deep this year with second and third tier talent...so reaching for a non-elite guy early makes no sense to me. Wait it out...and someone good will fall to you in the 2nd-4th round.

I love Reggie Nelson. If we take a RB with #16, I prefer Pittman's speed and ball security. To me, he seems a better choice for a ZBS system than Lynch. However, I really don't see either as being worth a #16 pick. My preference would be to trade down and pick up an extra pick in the 2nd or 3rd round.