PDA

View Full Version : "Polar Bear" Thompson is totally against spending

BF4MVP
04-26-2006, 05:47 PM
Bull shit..

I've supported the guy since he got here and started cleaning up Sherman's mess, and today's signing just made my day..

I don't understand the TT hate ?

Scott Campbell
04-26-2006, 05:59 PM
Bull shit..

I've supported the guy since he got here and started cleaning up Sherman's mess, and today's signing just made my day..

People in general are used to instant gratification and aren't very patient. I'm not surprised by the TT hate.

RashanGary
04-26-2006, 06:00 PM
It sounds like a pretty fair deal. I think Thompson knew it was either pay for a player or they wouldn't be able to use their $$.

I'm not a huge Woodson fan but I do think Collins stands a good chance to start at CB and Woodson at Saftey.

Scott Campbell
04-26-2006, 06:02 PM
It sounds like a pretty fair deal. I think Thompson knew it was either pay for a player or they wouldn't be able to use their $$.

I'm not a huge Woodson fan but I do think Collins stands a good chance to start at CB and Woodson at Saftey.

That's the scenario that makes me think there is no possible chance that we draft Huff on Sunday.

BF4MVP
04-26-2006, 06:06 PM
Huff would have been my second choice (third if Williams was available) behind Vernon Davis..We don't need him anymore..Hopefully we take Vernon..

BF4MVP
04-26-2006, 06:07 PM
Bull shit..

People in general are used to instant gratification and aren't very patient. I'm not surprised by the TT hate.
Very good point SC

Scott Campbell
04-26-2006, 06:07 PM
I wonder if anyone still thinks Thompson is cheap?

RashanGary
04-26-2006, 06:09 PM
It's pretty much a trade of Sharper for Woodson.

I'm happy with our guy.

jack's smirking revenge
04-26-2006, 06:10 PM
From ESPN.com...

The contract is a seven-year deal worth $52 million, ESPN.com's Michael Smith reports. Woodson will make $10.5 million in the first year of the deal and $18 million over the first three years. Woodson will also receive a $3 million bonus if he is selected to the Pro Bowl in two of the first three years of the contract.

tyler

BF4MVP
04-26-2006, 06:10 PM
Never thought of it that way, NC..

Plus we ended up picking Collins as well

Pretty good situation for the Pack..

BF4MVP
04-26-2006, 06:12 PM
I wonder if anyone still thinks Thompson is cheap?
I sure hope not..

Even though the deal certainly wasn't REALLY 7 years 52M i'm sure it was a lot..

RashanGary
04-26-2006, 06:13 PM
I think Collins might ultimately play CB. I think it's his more natural position. IMO Collins would be a 1st round pick right now as a CB if he was re-entered into the draft.

Scott Campbell
04-26-2006, 06:18 PM
Never thought of it that way, NC..

Plus we ended up picking Collins as well

Pretty good situation for the Pack..

In essense we traded McKenzie for Collins. That was a good deal too - IMO.

RashanGary
04-26-2006, 06:19 PM
Yup...

Mac and Sharper out

Collins and Woodson in.

Scott Campbell
04-26-2006, 06:35 PM
Shall we all dye our hair white?

Homer Jay
04-26-2006, 06:38 PM
Shall we all dye our hair white?

Unfortunately I don't have to.

b bulldog
04-26-2006, 09:14 PM
I wish I had enough to dye

Anti-Polar Bear
04-27-2006, 12:11 AM
If THompson is so good, why were the Pack 4-12, and still not any better than last year? (injuries is inexcusable; players go down, you find other players;thompson did next to nothing)

Explain that logic to me.

CyclonePackFan
04-27-2006, 12:32 AM
If THompson is so good, why were the Pack 4-12, and still not any better than last year? (injuries is inexcusable; players go down, you find other players;thompson did next to nothing)

How are they not better than last year? Explain THAT logic to me. How are injuries inexcusable? Yeah, players go down, but 4 RB's and 3WR's is more than just "players" going down. Find what players with what money? No cap room during the season, and there aren't exactly marquee players sitting on their couch at midseason.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-27-2006, 01:09 AM

How are they not better than last year? Explain THAT logic to me. How are injuries inexcusable? Yeah, players go down, but 4 RB's and 3WR's is more than just "players" going down. Find what players with what money? No cap room during the season, and there aren't exactly marquee players sitting on their couch at midseason.

Is this a playoffs team?

How is it possible for SHerman to do more with around 3 mil, and thompson did less with $7.5 mil in 05?

Whats wrong with Klemm, Whitticker, Little, and Thomas?

Which alternative thompson bought in are better than Klemm, Whitticker, Little, and Thomas?

Why did Brett Favre wait this long to make a decision?

Why did Brett Favre ask Thompson to make a statement in Free Agency?

Will the Packers make the playoffs this year, with the same roster as right now?

Try answering these questions and you will find the logic.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-27-2006, 01:23 AM
Oh, btw, Washington have been "overpaying" free agents year after after year since Snyder took over. I dont see them in a cap hell, do you?

CyclonePackFan
04-27-2006, 03:24 AM
Is this a playoffs team?

Did I ever say it was?

How is it possible for SHerman to do more with around 3 mil, and thompson did less with $7.5 mil in 05?

By backloading contracts so we pay guys like Hunt who are no longer on the team millions of dollars.

Whitticker is a rookie. Other three could stand to be upgraded.

Which alternative thompson bought in are better than Klemm, Whitticker, Little, and Thomas?

I'll answer this question after the draft.

Why did Brett Favre wait this long to make a decision?

If I knew that, I'd be Brett Favre.

Why did Brett Favre ask Thompson to make a statement in Free Agency?

Uhhh...because he doesn't want to go out on a 4-12 season?

Will the Packers make the playoffs this year, with the same roster as right now?

No. I think they'll be 8-8 this year.

Try answering these questions and you will find the logic.

I did, but I never said this was a playoff team. I asked you how this team, right now, will have a record worse than 4-12. You're telling me that Charles Woodson is worse than Ahmad Carroll. Who else did we lose? We replaced Jackson with Allen and Pickett, we upgraded Roman with Manuel, and didn't really lose any key cogs to the team, with the exception of Flanagan, who was switching in and out with Wells all year, and Chapman, who we replaced with Gardner and Boerigter. We do need to fill a hole at the LB spot and add depth across the board. I just don't see how this team is already worse than last year before we even drafted anybody.

Oh, and in regards to the Redskins:

http://redskins.scout.com/3/salary_cap_chart.html

They're already $2 million over the cap for 2007 unless it changes.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-27-2006, 03:57 AM
Did I ever say it was?

By backloading contracts so we pay guys like Hunt who are no longer on the team millions of dollars.

And are we in a cap hell because of it? If you have the money and you use it efficently, then take a chance. You are not going become a winner by doing nothing, or signing shit players like Arturo Freeman and Ray Thompson

Anti-Polar Bear
04-27-2006, 04:01 AM

Whitticker is a rookie. Other three could stand to be upgraded.

Do you know that thompson couldve gotten Logan Mankins in the first round?

Yes "other three could stand to be upgraded." Are they? Would Hutchinson be an upgrade? Would Wahle? Would Peterson? Would Arrington? Would Achuleta? hell, Even Tank Williams would be an upgrade over both Maneul and Roman.

Talk about fuck up on Thompsons part

Anti-Polar Bear
04-27-2006, 04:05 AM
I did, but I never said this was a playoff team. I asked you how this team, right now, will have a record worse than 4-12. You're telling me that Charles Woodson is worse than Ahmad Carroll. Who else did we lose? We replaced Jackson with Allen and Pickett, we upgraded Roman with Manuel, and didn't really lose any key cogs to the team, with the exception of Flanagan, who was switching in and out with Wells all year, and Chapman, who we replaced with Gardner and Boerigter. We do need to fill a hole at the LB spot and add depth across the board. I just don't see how this team is already worse than last year before we even drafted anybody.

I'm telling you that with $35 mil, thompson couldve upgraded this team into a playoffs contender. Sign 3-4 stars to fill needs and draft for needs and you got yourself a contender.

WTF, you are satified with 8-8?

Achuleta is better than Menuel. Why didnt thompson go for the better player? I guess he fucked up, right, or the player doesnt want to play for him. You are wrong when you said Pickett is an upgrade over Jackson; theyre on par with each others, mainly because Jackson is on a declined; Pickett isnt a pro bowler or anything spectacular. Bently would be an enormous upgrade over Wells. What about Walker? Owens would be an upgrade; Keyshown Johnson would be on par.

Yes, this team "need to fill a LB spot." Have thompson? Did Thompson have the opportunity to upgrade it...with $35 mil? Yes. If not Arrington, how about Peterson? Hell eve, Sam Cowart, and McGinest would be upgrades.

Bottom line is: Thompson had the opportunity and money to turn Pack into q Playoffs contender, but he fucked it up.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-27-2006, 04:30 AM
Oh, and in regards to the Redskins:

http://redskins.scout.com/3/salary_cap_chart.html

They're already $2 million over the cap for 2007 unless it changes.

I gotta laugh at this one. You know nothing about finance if you think the cap number for next year would be inflated less than $2 mil.

:mrgreen:

Tarlam!
04-27-2006, 04:46 AM
I like the way the Pats have lots of winning teams, only a few big names, but have a knack for getting the most outta value players. They are also masters at cap management as this link will suggest:

Pats Cap 2007 and beyond (http://www.patscap.com/futureyears.html)

From everything TT has shown thus far, he is attempting to emulate their success. If Seattle is any judge, TT knows how to do his job. Tank, you're vicious anti TT rants seem somewhat homophobic. They completely ignore truths, such as, he is sticking to his publicized strategy.

Asking what Sherm would have done with 35m in cap space is an ignorant hypothetical. Fact is, Sherm would never in 3 lifetimes of General Management have accumulated that amount of cap space to spend.

His lack of talent in the draft forced him to pay big bucks for so-so free agents. What huge FA signing that made a major impact on Green Bay are you referring to? He made a few decent moves, Harris is a good example, but Harris was hardly considered a premium product.

Your arguments are thin and emotional. I would expect a University student to have more rhetorical prowess than you have demonstrated, and I would expect you to be able to analyse facts better.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-27-2006, 06:43 AM
Your arguments are thin and emotional. I would expect a University student to have more rhetorical prowess than you have demonstrated, and I would expect you to be able to analyse facts better.

Well, let me know when you have earned that Phd in Ted Thompson Footabll, and starts teaching Ted Thompson Football 101, i would happy to "analyse facts better" for you.

Fritz
04-27-2006, 07:04 AM
Tank, Tank, Tank. I've been reading your posts for over a year, I think, and while I love you like a little brother I also feel the need to straighten you out like a little brother sometimes needs to be.

TT is beginning the second season as GM. Despite what Tex and a few other Shermies might say, the former GM/coach drafted poorly (In his three drafts, he produced four starters: Kampman, Walker, Barnett, and Carroll). He panicked over Hunt and cost the Packers for years, and he whiffed on Joe Johnson. When he was relieved of his GM duties the Packers were up against the ropes in terms of the cap.

TT has had to right a sinking ship, and yes, he's done some drastic things. Probably the one big mistake at this point is letting Wahle go, although if you look back over the media reports the vast majority of people seemed to think there was no way the Pack could afford to keep him.

But for all the conspiracy theories about TT not wanting Favre back, he IS back, and do you think someone with Favre's pride would come back if he thought he wan't wanted? (uh, the answer is "no," in case you're not sure)

He's also gone out and made attempts at players who simply did not want to come to Green Bay. JS articles suggest that TT outbid teams for certain players (Vinatieri, Arrington) who simply didn't want to play in GB (it's not domed, or it's not near home nor in the NFC East in Arrington's case).

But he has re-signed some key people (Kampman, Green) and is known as a draft guru. So give him two more years. If they're 8 - 8 after the 2007 season I'll join your bandwagon, Tank. But til then, give him a chance to build.

Scott Campbell
04-27-2006, 07:10 AM
Tank, Tank, Tank. I've been reading your posts for over a year, I think, and while I love you like a little brother I also feel the need to straighten you out like a little brother sometimes needs to be.

TT is beginning the second season as GM. Despite what Tex and a few other Shermies might say, the former GM/coach drafted poorly (In his three drafts, he produced four starters: Kampman, Walker, Barnett, and Carroll). He panicked over Hunt and cost the Packers for years, and he whiffed on Joe Johnson. When he was relieved of his GM duties the Packers were up against the ropes in terms of the cap.

TT has had to right a sinking ship, and yes, he's done some drastic things. Probably the one big mistake at this point is letting Wahle go, although if you look back over the media reports the vast majority of people seemed to think there was no way the Pack could afford to keep him.

But for all the conspiracy theories about TT not wanting Favre back, he IS back, and do you think someone with Favre's pride would come back if he thought he wan't wanted? (uh, the answer is "no," in case you're not sure)

He's also gone out and made attempts at players who simply did not want to come to Green Bay. JS articles suggest that TT outbid teams for certain players (Vinatieri, Arrington) who simply didn't want to play in GB (it's not domed, or it's not near home nor in the NFC East in Arrington's case).

But he has re-signed some key people (Kampman, Green) and is known as a draft guru. So give him two more years. If they're 8 - 8 after the 2007 season I'll join your bandwagon, Tank. But til then, give him a chance to build.

And don't leave out the crowning achievement of his offseason - the firing of Mike Sherman.

Tarlam!
04-27-2006, 07:19 AM
Well, let me know when you have earned that Phd in Ted Thompson Footabll, and starts teaching Ted Thompson Football 101, i would happy to "analyse facts better" for you.

Tank, I asked you a few simple questions. I gave you the opportunity to redeem yourself in front of all our members, and you just throw more emotional mud. Tell us, who were the great signings in FA that Sherm lured to our team again?

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 07:26 AM

Funny, when my big brother wanted to straighten out his little sister, he just beat me up. And like a little sister, I can be persistent. PAY UP, TANK.

Fritz
04-28-2006, 06:13 AM
You know, I really do like the Tankster, but I'm starting to think that if TT traded down Saturday, still got Hawk, picked up a bunch of extra second and third rounders, drafted everybody Tank ever liked, the poor boy would still figure out a way to diss TT. Apparently it's in his blood.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-28-2006, 03:10 PM
You know, I really do like the Tankster, but I'm starting to think that if TT traded down Saturday, still got Hawk, picked up a bunch of extra second and third rounders, drafted everybody Tank ever liked, the poor boy would still figure out a way to diss TT. Apparently it's in his blood.

I will stop calling thompson "that gay GM" if he drafts Michael Huff.

Memories of Arturo Freeman still lingers in my mind. I wonder what things would be like had Thompson not fallen in love with Freeman. Alas, Thompson chose sex (freeman) over talent (Darius or Sharper).

MJZiggy
04-28-2006, 03:13 PM
You need to stop calling him that unless you can prove he is really gay, which, quite frankly would take quite an admission on your part! :shock:

RashanGary
04-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Freeman didn't even play a game for the Packers. It was a risk free venture. It's not like Sherman paying 6 mil up front for Johnson or whatever the hell he gave to Hunt.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-28-2006, 03:18 PM
You need to stop calling him that unless you can prove he is really gay, which, quite frankly would take quite an admission on your part! :shock:

I'm only calling Thompson gay, in theory.

I am sure there are a dozens or so sports writers out there who agrees. Problem is, they are professionals and would get fired if they ever put Thompson and homosexuality in the same sentence.

RashanGary
04-28-2006, 03:20 PM
You guys watching teh draft coverage on ESPN right now...What a joke..It's as bad as last night. At least they're original though.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-28-2006, 03:22 PM
Freeman didn't even play a game for the Packers. It was a risk free venture. It's not like Sherman paying 6 mil up front for Johnson or whatever the hell he gave to Hunt.

Yes, but Thompson bypassed Sharper and Darius for Freeman. Thats why it is so hard not to be mad at the Polar Bear.

Don't forgot Thompson's other lovers: Thompson, Navies and Odwyer. Was here for awhile; gone after the sex wore out.

RashanGary
04-28-2006, 03:23 PM
They got Collins who is a young Ed Reed.

MJZiggy
04-28-2006, 03:28 PM

I'm only calling Thompson gay, in theory.

I am sure there are a dozens or so sports writers out there who agrees. Problem is, they are professionals and would get fired if they ever put Thompson and homosexuality in the same sentence.

Like I said, it's quite an allegation unless you can prove it, so does this mean you know from first-hand experience? :?: :?:

Anti-Polar Bear
04-28-2006, 03:29 PM

Collins is solid but no way hes Reed. Reed is playmaker on his team. Collins make plays for other teams. Recall how he made that game ending tackle against the Browns, i think? Pack were down 1; less than 2 minutes left; Browns RB bust lose in the open field; the RB is only 8 yds away from scoring; out of no where Collins came to the rescue; TD and extra point would only put Pack down 8; still a chance to win; now because Pack are out of time outs, they hopelessly watched the Browns run out the clock. Way to go, collins.

Huff is and will be way way better than Collins; even better than Reed.

MJZiggy
04-28-2006, 03:45 PM
Was that too harsh?

Charles Woodson
04-28-2006, 03:50 PM

Collins is solid but no way hes Reed. Reed is playmaker on his team. Collins make plays for other teams. Recall how he made that game ending tackle against the Browns, i think? Pack were down 1; less than 2 minutes left; Browns RB bust lose in the open field; the RB is only 8 yds away from scoring; out of no where Collins came to the rescue; TD and extra point would only put Pack down 8; still a chance to win; now because Pack are out of time outs, they hopelessly watched the Browns run out the clock. Way to go, collins.

Huff is and will be way way better than Collins; even better than Reed.

Ed reed
YEAR TEAM G TOT SOLO AST PD SACK FF REC INT YDS TD
2002 BAL 16 80 69 11 12 1 0 0 5 167 0

Nick Collins

SPLIT TOT SOLO AST SACK STF STFY FF BK INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD
2005 77 61 16 0.0 4 17 1 0 1 0 0.0 0 0 8

Just a comparison

Scott Campbell
04-28-2006, 03:54 PM
Was that too harsh?

One thing about Tank - he can take a punch.

RashanGary
04-28-2006, 03:58 PM
Pretty even.....Reed was very polished coming out of Miami so Collins has a lot more room to grow IMO.

I honestly think Collins will be in the probowl many times. I'd say there is a good chance it happens as soon as next season.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-28-2006, 05:52 PM
Pretty even.....Reed was very polished coming out of Miami so Collins has a lot more room to grow IMO.

I honestly think Collins will be in the probowl many times. I'd say there is a good chance it happens as soon as next season.

Collins is not a playmaker. Possible he could become a playmaker, but I doubt it. Huff is and thats why Thompson have to draft Huff.

The Pack have no playmakers on defense right now. Woodson might be one but hes coming off an injured year.

The only sure playmaker on defense in this draft is Huff.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Was that too harsh?

Read my archives and youll find my theories on this subject.

MJZiggy
04-28-2006, 06:22 PM
I only accept direct proof in these matters so if you say he is gay you must have some direct proof and I will simply assume that to be the case.

RashanGary
04-28-2006, 06:39 PM
If Thompson is really GAY......I no longer support him :evil:

MJZiggy
04-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Of course he's not gay. Tank's being an idiot and that particular unfounded accusation just bugs me for some reason. Therefore if he's justified in making these calls about TT, then we are all justified in making the same assumptions about Tank.

RashanGary
04-28-2006, 07:09 PM
I'm just playin Ziggy........

I could care less about Thompsons sexual preference. If I had to guess I would say he's probably not gay. I think Tank has a quirky personality and kind of twists conversations just to mix things up.

It's just like Tank's insults on different races. He could care less what friggin color a persons skin is but he finds the fact that some people do amusing and he kind of mocks people who are stereotypical by acting like a racist or gay hater or whatever.

I gaurentee Tank does not care if Thompson is gay.

MJZiggy
04-28-2006, 07:36 PM
I think he's a closet Republican.