PDA

View Full Version : Hamlin To Dallas? Scratch Bush Off RB List

Packnut
03-21-2007, 10:00 AM
Well, Hamlin is now said to be reasonably priced. Would have been a HUGE upgrade over Manuel. Also things not looking good for Bush. From Shefter:

The team wanted to upgrade the position in free agency, just not at the premium prices the top free agents were asking. Now that time has passed and prices have dropped, Hamlin and the Cowboys could be the perfect match.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (March 21, 2007) -- Former Louisville running back Michael Bush underwent surgery March 20 on the leg he broke during the first game of last season.

red
03-21-2007, 10:09 AM
that sucks

he's an upgradein a position of need. he has a modest price tag, and tt knows him

yet if that article from last week still holds true, we never even called him

wist43
03-21-2007, 10:12 AM
I think everyone likes Bush's skill set... but his injury history if lengthy.

Can't see him going higher than the 3rd or 4th round... maybe lower. I'm sure some teams will take him off their board althogether b/c of the injury risk.

Packnut
03-21-2007, 10:19 AM
I think everyone likes Bush's skill set... but his injury history if lengthy.

Can't see him going higher than the 3rd or 4th round... maybe lower. I'm sure some teams will take him off their board althogether b/c of the injury risk.

Yeah, I think this injury will cost him a ton of cash. Putting a rod back in the leg cause the bone did'nt heal right might even take him off the draft board.

MJZiggy
03-21-2007, 10:26 AM
that sucks

he's an upgradein a position of need. he has a modest price tag, and tt knows him

If TT knows him, maybe he knows something we don't...

Packnut
03-21-2007, 10:26 AM
that sucks

I never for a second thought Teddy would replace Manuel through FA. That would make him admit to a mistake and one thing Thompson will never do is admit to a mistake. IF Underwood recovers and takes over that position, Teddy can just write that off to a better player taking over.

If Hamlin goes to Dallas, that gives them one of the best saftey combo's in the NFL.

Packnut
03-21-2007, 10:29 AM
that sucks

The knock on Hamlin is the serious off field injury in 2005. I think he put those fears to rest by his preformance in 2006.

HarveyWallbangers
03-21-2007, 10:36 AM
Apparently, teams are not enamored with Hamlin. Not as much as fans are with his big name.

packiowa
03-21-2007, 11:14 AM
If Hamlin goes to Dallas, that gives them one of the best saftey combo's in the NFL.

I'll take my chances passing against that crew.

LL2
03-21-2007, 11:23 AM
that sucks

I never for a second thought Teddy would replace Manuel through FA. That would make him admit to a mistake and one thing Thompson will never do is admit to a mistake. IF Underwood recovers and takes over that position, Teddy can just write that off to a better player taking over.

Well, you do not admit mistakes in public, but not that he really has too. Wolf admitted he should've kept Hentrich. Our punting game sucked for a long time after that mistake. Better players take over all the time, and that’s the way it should work. Have the Redskins ever admitted to all the FA mistakes they make, no they just keep making them.

Packnut
03-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Apparently, teams are not enamored with Hamlin. Not as much as fans are with his big name.

Gee Woodson only had us and TB last season so I guess no one was enamored with him either? How'd that work out?

DUH!

packiowa
03-21-2007, 11:43 AM

Gee Woodson only had us and TB last season so I guess no one was enamored with him either? How'd that work out?

DUH!

Is Hamlin asking for the same money as Woodson? Didn't think so. . .

Packnut
03-21-2007, 11:52 AM

DUH!

Is Hamlin asking for the same money as Woodson? Didn't think so. . .

I have no idea what Hamlin is asking for. More than likely it's the same ball-park as Grant. My point is that just because a guy goes late in free agency, does not give any indication of what his production will be. Woodson went late without multiple teams fighting over him and he was a great FA signing. Hamlin is regarded by most scouts as being in the upper echelon of the saftey class. Again, his off field injury, could be a reason not everyone wants him. He does have a head injury risk associated with him.

pbmax
03-21-2007, 12:32 PM
Doesn't drafting three lineman last year qualify as admitting the mid and low-budget FA splurge to replace Wahle and Rivera was a bust?

T2 has his faults, this one is a reach though.

Anyone know the deal Hamlin is looking for now that his price has dropped?

that sucks

HarveyWallbangers
03-21-2007, 12:59 PM

DUH!

Who says that we were the only two teams enamored with him?

Patler
03-21-2007, 01:03 PM
I never for a second thought Teddy would replace Manuel through FA. That would make him admit to a mistake and one thing Thompson will never do is admit to a mistake.

What in the world gives you any basis at all for that statement?
I've seen quite the opposite from Thompson. He

Signed Gardner, cut him in TC and ate $156,000 in bonuses against the cap.
Signed Boerigter, cut him in TC and ate $145,000 in bonuses against the cap.
Drafted Craig Bragg, cut him in his 1st TC, ate small bonus.

But, the biggest admission was Cory Rodgers. A 4th round draft pick. Gave him almost a half million in bonuses and cut him in his first training camp. It is very uncommon for a 4th round pick not to be given at least a year to prove himself.

TT could easily have justified keeping any one of those players for at least a year. But he didn't. He did the same with the likes of Freeman, O Dwyer, Little, Hawkins, etc. He kept no one around just to save face. The only "hanger-on" I can think of is Coston, and he was considered a project from the start.

Rastak
03-21-2007, 01:22 PM
I never for a second thought Teddy would replace Manuel through FA. That would make him admit to a mistake and one thing Thompson will never do is admit to a mistake.

But, the biggest admission was Cory Rodgers. A 4th round draft pick. Gave him almost a half million in bonuses and cut him in his first training camp. It is very uncommon for a 4th round pick not to be given at least a year to prove himself.

TT could easily have justified keeping any one of those players for at least a year. But he didn't. He did the same with the likes of Freeman, O Dwyer, Little, Hawkins, etc. He kept no one around just to save face. The only "hanger-on" I can think of is Coston, and he was considered a project from the start.

All of those together don't equal a mil....very small potatos.....

HarveyWallbangers
03-21-2007, 01:55 PM
Sherman was the one who held onto his mistakes for too long. I don't see Thompson as a guy that would. He's cut from the Ron Wolf mold, and Wolf was as good at admitting and moving on from a mistake as any GM. I believe that you won't see Manuel starting at S for the Packers in 2007. Well, at least I hope not.

HarveyWallbangers
03-21-2007, 01:56 PM

Small potatoes, but not a lot of GMs will cut their 4th round pick in year 1.

Merlin
03-21-2007, 01:59 PM
I don't want another Seahawk on the team. Hamlin is good in that defense but then again so was Manual. Something tells me we will get another Manual out of the deal. Not too high on those ex-Seahawks unless their name is Alexander and even then I question the attitude.

gureski
03-21-2007, 03:38 PM
Why do some people think Hamlin is so great? He nearly died in that bar fight and that was less then a year ago, wasn't it? That would constitute as major injury. When you receive head trauma that is so severe that you forget what happened to you then that's serious. Football players collide all the time. If you're on defense, it's your job to cause the collission. How long can Hamlin last in the NFL? How long does he really have left?

And he was never a superstar to begin with. I recall him always being looked at with frustration as if he never fully realized his potential.

I think Thompson is going to draft a safety and I am behind that 100%. We've needed to draft safeties for years now. He nailed one with Collins and it's time he nails another with (hopefully) Reggie Nelson.

My hope would be Kenny Irons in the second round. That would be a great start to the draft.

hawaii50
03-21-2007, 03:51 PM
that sucks

I have a lot of friends who went to college in seattle and supposedly they would see hamlin out a lot (b/c they were managers for UW and knew the football guys). Anyways, they said that hamlin was a thug and would often cause trouble when they saw him out in the clubs. In other words, the reason he got shot a couple years back wasn't purely coincidental. Semi pacman-ish I guess, just that he doesn't get caught or he's not as stupid maybe. He's a great player on the field, but I personally think ted knows too much about his character and that's the reason he's staying away.

Patler
03-21-2007, 04:29 PM

I never said it was a lot, but he acknowledges when it doesn't work, and moves on.

When he cut Rodgers, it made a lot of press. Several gave him kudos for not trying to cover it up. One article mentioned that in 5 years there have only been a very small number outright released (I think it was like 5 or 6). Most GMs pull a BJ Sander with them, carry them as inactives for a year, then quietly release them in the off-season. TT did it in the final cutdown, for everyone to see.

The bonus accelerations of the players TT signed and released very quickly do exceed a million over the two years:

O'Dwyer - 25
Freeman - 25
Bragg - 88
Gardner -156
Boerigter- 145
Hawkiins - 108
Rodgers - 465
Whitticker - 41
Davenport - 70

Total - 1,123,000.

red
03-21-2007, 04:41 PM
that sucks

I have a lot of friends who went to college in seattle and supposedly they would see hamlin out a lot (b/c they were managers for UW and knew the football guys). Anyways, they said that hamlin was a thug and would often cause trouble when they saw him out in the clubs. In other words, the reason he got shot a couple years back wasn't purely coincidental. Semi pacman-ish I guess, just that he doesn't get caught or he's not as stupid maybe. He's a great player on the field, but I personally think ted knows too much about his character and that's the reason he's staying away.

see now this is good inside info, not really inside. but good info we usually don't get from the media

we don't have mysterious "sources", we have a guy whos friends are in a position to see things, and even even explains what they do to get that info.

good info hawaii, thanks

then it would seem like its a good thing he's not coming here

woodbuck27
03-22-2007, 02:17 PM
http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstory/stories/032207cphamlin.2ab30bd.html

Cowboys in talks with safety Hamlin

11:01 PM CDT on Wednesday, March 21, 2007

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News
tarcher@dallasnews.com

IRVING – Free agent safety Ken Hamlin spent Wednesday visiting with Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones. Negotiations are expected to begin today.

Hamlin, who also met with coach Wade Phillips and some assistants, said he could fill a centerfield-type role next to Roy Williams.

"I think it definitely would let Roy do his thing, being more of a playmaker," Hamlin said.

"I wouldn't mind filling that void."

Hamlin said he has visited with New Orleans and has visits set up with other teams.

In four years in Seattle, Hamlin started all but two games he played in. He missed 10 games in 2005 because of a serious head injury that threatened his career.

Hamlin finished last season with 96 tackles, three interceptions and two sacks.

"A lot of people were doubting just me getting back on the field and playing at a high level, and I think I did do that. I'm not into proving other people wrong or quieting some of the doubters, but I definitely proved to myself I can play a little bit more," he said.

Partial
03-22-2007, 02:22 PM

He's not that good, thats why. He is similiar to Manual in my opinion, maybe slightly better. I'd rather have a ballhawk back there.

Partial
03-22-2007, 02:23 PM

I'll take my chances passing against that crew.

Same here. That would be foolish because it'd be like playing 6 linebackers. Roy Williams is not great in coverage, and neither is Hamlin.