PDA

View Full Version : I didn't know Schaub was traded to the Texans

LL2
03-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Jeff (California): So Matt Schaub just got traded to the Texans for a 2nd round pick, how does that change what the Texans do in the first round?

Mel Kiper: (1:37 PM ET ) It doesn't effect the Texans, because they weren't going to be getting Quinn anyway. If you look at what they've done - added Ahman Green and other little pieces in free agency. Their most pressing need is CB or LT. They need a CB, Leon Hall would have to be in the mix. If you add Matt Schaub, you'd have to consider Levi Brown. That hasn't changed what they'll be doing.

Mel Kiper: (1:38 PM ET ) This trade spotlights that they've given up on David Carr. The Carr era comes to an end. But they never gave him a chance. They never tried to really stress and place importance on putting talent around him. This is the end of the Carr era, but it wasn't really all his fault. The organization has to take some blame for that. Let's hope they help Matt Schaub out a lot more than they helped out Carr.

If the Packers do trade Rodgers I wonder if TT would bring Carr in as a backup. Lady Rats would love that.

Cheesehead Craig
03-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Nothing official yet, but it looks pretty "imminent" to being done by what I've read.
Granted, it was "imminent" that the Packers were to get Moss too.

MJZiggy
03-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Wonder if Carr'd be willing to sit behind Favre for a couple years while he clears out the cobwebs from getting clobbered for 4 years in Houston.

Tony Oday
03-21-2007, 01:03 PM
lol they traded him for a second rounder! I love it that is a steal however sucks for Shaub though because he is going to get destroyed down there.

Bring in the Carr baby! I would love to have him backing up the great one

LL2
03-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Well, no Packer related questions were answer by Kiper. Not that there were be anything new to report.

I wouldn’t want Carr. He’s been in the league for 4 years and if he had to sit another year or two he’s not worth it. Draft Stanton or Trent Edwards in the 3rd rd if they are still sitting there.

Guiness
03-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Schaub has not moved yet.

I'd also be surprised if he went for 'only' a 2nd rounder. I'd expect that minimum it would be is a 2nd this year, and a 1st or second next year.

I *shudder* agree with Kipper on this one. No one knows if Carr can be a franchise QB. All we know for sure is that he is tough as nails after getting off the turf, dusting himself off, and taking the next snap in Houston. I can't see Schaub faring much differently if he goes down and steps into the same situation.

LL2
03-21-2007, 01:47 PM
The Schaub trade has been confirmed and posted on ESPN.

Merlin
03-21-2007, 01:56 PM
I didn't think the Falcon's wanted to get rid of him. They must have some kind of faith that Vick will actually resemble an NFL QB this year. I don't want David Carr. He is another Tedford QB and his career rating is lower then Trent Dilfer's. Although I will admit that Carr probably has the best ability of any of the Tedford QB's, he wouldn't know what to do with time in the pocket. Plus, the guy has been beaten senseless in Houston. Isn't he the most sacked QB over the last 4 years? If not he has to be a close #2.

MTPackerfan
03-21-2007, 02:25 PM
just copied this off KFFL. Looks like they are getting more than a 2nd rounder.

Texans | Team on verge of acquiring Schaub
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:38:20 -0700

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Atlanta Falcons and Houston Texans are on the verge of a trade that would send QB Matt Schaub to the Texans in exchange for a swapping of first-round draft picks in this year's NFL Draft, a second-round draft pick in this year's draft and a second-round pick in 2008. Schaub is trying to work out a long-term deal with the Texans. While the deal is not yet finalized, it is expected to be completed Wednesday, March 21.

packers11
03-21-2007, 02:25 PM
I would laugh if Schaub turns out to be like Favre...

Can ATL trade away two hall of famers??? :lol:

The only thing is the texans need to upgrade that O-line in the draft so he doesn't get rolled every passing down...

Fosco33
03-21-2007, 02:45 PM

The only thing is the texans need to upgrade that O-line in the draft so he doesn't get rolled every passing down...

I said the same thing a few months back when ATL owner said Vick is the man. I would have liked to get rid of A-Rod for Moss and bring in Schaub. I know, I know - not a popular opinion.

Packnut
03-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Good trade for both teams. Houston is getting a "star" in the making and the Falcons load up on picks.

Charles Woodson
03-21-2007, 03:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2807051

ND72
03-21-2007, 04:53 PM
moving 2 spots, and giving up 2, 2nd round picks and getting Matt Schuab....sorry, i'm on the other end of this, I think the Texans got screwed. They moved back 2 spots and gave up 2 starters, for a QB who hasn't REALLY proven anythign yet. Yes he could have a huge career. But wow. I donno, I"m on the fence on this one.

red
03-21-2007, 04:56 PM
doesn't matter, if the texans don't fix their o-line fast they would have just wasted all those picks

carr was just fine, they just couldn't protect him worth a squat

retailguy
03-21-2007, 05:20 PM
doesn't matter, if the texans don't fix their o-line fast they would have just wasted all those picks

Houston has signed Jordon Black an OT from Kansas City, plus they've resigned Ephriam Salaam.

Their OL needs work, but, like the packers was playing better towards the end of last season.

They definitely need more help in the draft, and trading away a second rounder makes the likelihood of that lower.

But think about it. They signed Green, who has experience in the offense they run, they have Shaub who also has experience in the offense they run, with an "adequate" (careful, that's what all the 'experts' are saying about the system and Morency) line, maybe some of those experts will have to eat their words.... Interesting.

Risky, yes, but interesting.

Tony Oday
03-21-2007, 08:47 PM
Their O line sucks! I dont care who they sign it wont be fixed this season...

Guiness
03-21-2007, 08:49 PM
Dunno if the line was better, or if the fact that Dayne was getting some +ve yardage had the effect of stopping the rushers from pinning their ears back.

retailguy
03-21-2007, 09:03 PM
Their O line sucks! I dont care who they sign it wont be fixed this season...

We'll see. A good LT will help a lot. Schaub also has to have the ability to get the ball out. If he can do that, mediocre can become average pretty quick.

I think you are ruling them out too quickly... Green is also a pretty good back behind a poor line. Better than Ron Dayne, that's for sure.

If all things go well, it could be interesting. Risky, but, I repeat, interesting.

Joemailman
03-21-2007, 10:42 PM
moving 2 spots, and giving up 2, 2nd round picks and getting Matt Schuab....sorry, i'm on the other end of this, I think the Texans got screwed. They moved back 2 spots and gave up 2 starters, for a QB who hasn't REALLY proven anythign yet. Yes he could have a huge career. But wow. I donno, I"m on the fence on this one.

I agree. Trading down from 8 to 10 is the equivalent of giving up an early 4th round pick. So Houston has given up 2 2nd's and the equivalent of a 4th for a quarterback with 1 solid start in his career. This trade has Mike Sherman written all over it. They had better be right about Schaub.

Bretsky
03-21-2007, 10:58 PM

Houston has signed Jordon Black an OT from Kansas City, plus they've resigned Ephriam Salaam.

Their OL needs work, but, like the packers was playing better towards the end of last season.

They definitely need more help in the draft, and trading away a second rounder makes the likelihood of that lower.

But think about it. They signed Green, who has experience in the offense they run, they have Shaub who also has experience in the offense they run, with an "adequate" (careful, that's what all the 'experts' are saying about the system and Morency) line, maybe some of those experts will have to eat their words.... Interesting.

Risky, yes, but interesting.

So what you are really saying is it's interesting because their GM is trying :lol:

Tony Oday
03-21-2007, 11:51 PM
Im sorry but that offensive line is cursed ;)

No really the do suck and though they may have added talent everyone knows that an offense line is built by chemistry and reps so I will reinterate it they will suck, then I will qualify it, this year.

Shaub does have mobility so that helps. They have studs at WR and QB now. I think they can do good things eventually but not now and I honestly think they could wreck a good prospect QB behind that line like they did with Carr.

Bretsky
03-22-2007, 12:12 AM
Bad Memories Quiz

Who did Shermy draft a few picks before Matt Schuab ??

ic_buck
03-22-2007, 12:46 AM
Bretsky,

Thanks for the reminder,

I think i just threw up in my mouth!!!

Joemailman
03-22-2007, 01:11 AM
Bretsky,

Thanks for the reminder,

A memorable first post. :P It's usually better the 2nd time.

By the way, Sherman had 3 3rd round picks before Schaub. Joey Thomas, Donnell Washington, and B.J. Sander. Three strikes and yerrrrrrrrrr out!

Bretsky
03-22-2007, 07:18 AM
Bretsky,

Thanks for the reminder,

Welcome to PR !

Yes, it makes me sick too

retailguy
03-22-2007, 07:55 AM
So what you are really saying is it's interesting because their GM is trying :lol:

Well, I guess. But he's lessened his risk a bit in his trying, I think. He's gone out and got one PROVEN player in Ahman Green, and a second player with tremendous upside in Schaub. Also, he's resigned his stud receiver to a very nice contract.

They've brought in a couple of linemen, but that appears to be the weak link at this point. They also need another WR to complement Andre Johnson.

But, really, if you look at it, their offense is in better shape than ours overall. Yes, questions about the line remain, but for the first time in a long time there appears to be hope on the horizon.

I agree with Tony in that the line is "cursed" but, there truly has been growth. Since they run the same system as GB, shouldn't all the rosy things the "experts" say about our offense, and the rosy things about Morency, apply to Houston and Green? That being said, Ahman Green proved in 2005 and 2006 that he can be moderately successful behind a bad line, and schaub is mobile, so that helps as well.

Barring injury, and an OL meltdown, I think Houston will be fun to watch in 2007.

Finally, all you guys saying that this has the "mark of Sherman" all over it must be nuts. What evidence do you have that an Assistant Head Coach with OL responsibilities is operating as a "Defacto GM". That's just asinine. No NFL team would do that.

I'd suspect Sherman is well-respected in that organization. That being said, if he has been asked for anything other than his opinion I'd be stunned. Hopefully he had a say in Jordon Black, and he could definitely offer a valid summary of Ahman Green, but Schaub? Don't you think that's stretching his authority just a wee bit? :shock:

MadtownPacker
03-22-2007, 08:08 AM
Bretsky,

Thanks for the reminder,

I think i just threw up in my mouth!!!Welcome to the forum. Most of Breastky's post make me sick too!

MadtownPacker
03-22-2007, 08:26 AM
Finally, all you guys saying that this has the "mark of Sherman" all over it must be nuts.
Hey, hey you... it's 2007.. Sherm is not with the team anymore.

Get over it!

BTW - Schaub isnt a bad pickup but for those saying Carr is garbage, lets see how Schaub throws the ball whille laying flat on his back.

If ARod get traded bring in Carr in would be a great but I have a feeling he is headed to chicago.

BlueBrewer
03-22-2007, 08:42 AM

I agree completely. Schaub hasn't really done anything but flash talent. He comes in and looks good against a defense that gameplanned for the slashing running Vik and does good. Wait until they gameplan for him and you will see that he is no better than Carr. Maybe worse if he is fragile. 247 sacks in 4-5 years and no serious injuries, Carr is one tough sob, NOT TO MENTION HE DIDN'T COMPLAIN!!!!

Joemailman
03-22-2007, 08:44 AM
Finally, all you guys saying that this has the "mark of Sherman" all over it must be nuts. What evidence do you have that an Assistant Head Coach with OL responsibilities is operating as a "Defacto GM". That's just asinine. No NFL team would do that.

I'd suspect Sherman is well-respected in that organization. That being said, if he has been asked for anything other than his opinion I'd be stunned. Hopefully he had a say in Jordon Black, and he could definitely offer a valid summary of Ahman Green, but Schaub? Don't you think that's stretching his authority just a wee bit? :shock:

I was half-kidding about the Sherman reference. I realize he's not the GM. However, as Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator, I suspect that Sherman would have some considerable influence when discussing a trade for a guy you expect to be your starting quarterback.

MJZiggy
03-22-2007, 09:00 AM
Finally, all you guys saying that this has the "mark of Sherman" all over it must be nuts.

Get over it!

BTW - Schaub isnt a bad pickup but for those saying Carr is garbage, lets see how Schaub throws the ball whille laying flat on his back.

If ARod get traded bring in Carr in would be a great but I have a feeling he is headed to chicago.

Chicago? I was thinking Queens...

retailguy
03-22-2007, 10:12 AM

Get over it!

Over it? You're kidding right? I'm well past "over it". Funny that you tell me I'm not over it, but 52 times a day, someone posts something to the equivalent that every bad NFL deal is somehow linked to Sherman.... They've even invented a word - "shermanesque".

I just don't get it....

Your trade idea of Carr to Chicago is intriguing. Might be a good move for them, but then, do you cut Griese?

I really wonder how Carr would perform behind a good line. I wondered the same thing about Akili Smith and Tim Couch too and that didn't work out so well.

Joey Harrington performed better in Miami last year, but not good enough.

Sadly, that's probably Carr's route too.

Patler
03-22-2007, 12:06 PM
I would really like to see Carr play with a reasonably competent offense somewhere. At least with a line that would give him a little protection and maybe some confidence when he drops back.

He completes 60% of his passes, last year completed 68%. His TD/INT ratio is not great, but in the last three years is 41/37, so its not completely awful. In 5 years he has been sacked 249 times, in 76 games. It's hard to say why. The line has been bad, but some may be his fault, too. I would have to think at this point he is a bit gun-shy when he drops back, yet his completion percentage is very good..

He is an odd one to try and evaluate.

mngolf19
03-22-2007, 12:36 PM

Get over it!

Chicago? I was thinking Queens...

I agree Zig, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a call from MN.

HarveyWallbangers
03-22-2007, 12:43 PM
I agree Zig, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a call from MN.

He needs to be in the right situation to succeed, and I don't think Minnesota is that situation. Plus, wouldn't that just hold up the development of their 2nd round pick, Tarvaris Jackson. At least, that's what we heard from many Viking fans when Favre chose not to retire--that he'd hold up the development of Aaron Rodgers.

Partial
03-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Wow, Atlanta got way more for Schaub then we did for Hasselback. In the end I don't see good things coming from the Texans. This will set them back.

It will probably cost them a shot at Adrian Peterson (he's going to fall past 3) when in reality they signed ahman for a year or two of relieve running back, then giving up two seconds which could add to solid starting linemen is just foolish.

Patler
03-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Wow, Atlanta got way more for Schaub then we did for Hasselback.

I always thought GB gave Hasselback away a little too cheaply.

Partial
03-22-2007, 12:51 PM
Wow, Atlanta got way more for Schaub then we did for Hasselback.

I always thought GB gave Hasselback away a little too cheaply.

Definitely agree. Swapping first and a third? Balogna!

retailguy
03-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Wow, Atlanta got way more for Schaub then we did for Hasselback. In the end I don't see good things coming from the Texans. This will set them back.

It will probably cost them a shot at Adrian Peterson (he's going to fall past 3) when in reality they signed ahman for a year or two of relieve running back, then giving up two seconds which could add to solid starting linemen is just foolish.

Don't get your point. If Schaub isn't a quality QB and Green gets hurt, OF COURSE, it'll set them back. How would that differ for ANY other NFL team?

You're right about the line. depth will be there in round 2 both this year and next, but if the "system" is as solid as you claim it to be with your defense of Morency, couldn't it be concluded that they can "patch" together a suitable line without picking guys in round 2? The most important guy is the LT and they just signed Black. He could be a very good LT.

Provided Houston can cobble together an average line, they could really put something together. I wouldn't write them off just yet, even considering all the "if's". (and some of those are very valid)

Also, you make it sound like Peterson is a "sure" thing. From my side of the fence, there is no such thing.... He could flop too.

the_idle_threat
03-22-2007, 01:20 PM
Also, you make it sound like Peterson is a "sure" thing. From my side of the fence, there is no such thing.... He could flop too.

qft

I have serious concerns about Peterson's durability issues on the next level. The hits are even harder in the pros.

GoPackGo
03-22-2007, 01:20 PM
Houston had the #1 pick and passed on a hometown kid who has already come back to haunt them, twice. Then they invest a ton of money and a few picks for a guy who has two starts in three years at the professional level. :crazy:

Partial
03-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Don't get your point. If Schaub isn't a quality QB and Green gets hurt, OF COURSE, it'll set them back. How would that differ for ANY other NFL team?

My point was that is a very steep price to pay for a guy who by all accounts hasn't been excellent. Hasselback looked better in limited action and we got significantly less for him. Kubiak has just went all in with this guy, and whether he shows to be any good or not, he will ultimately seal Kubiak's fate.

You're right about the line. depth will be there in round 2 both this year and next, but if the "system" is as solid as you claim it to be with your defense of Morency, couldn't it be concluded that they can "patch" together a suitable line without picking guys in round 2? The most important guy is the LT and they just signed Black. He could be a very good LT.

It's possible, but I am skeptical because they run more of a pulling scheme than a zone scheme, and thus are still in need of the behemoth-sized linemen. History has shown that you can build a solid line using late round picks and undrafted free agents in the ZBS as I have shown in multiple posts. It will likely take a few years of learning and "seasoning" before those undrafted and 7th rounders build up their skill set.

i didn't watch many(if any) KC games last year so I have no opinion on Black. My thoughts are he definitely benefitted from having a Brian Watters directly to the right of him, though.

Provided Houston can cobble together an average line, they could really put something together. I wouldn't write them off just yet, even considering all the "if's". (and some of those are very valid)

They have a very good wideout in Johnson and an underrated tight-end in OD(led rookie TE in TD last season). I could see this, but not unless Mario steps up big time for their defense. They also have serious secondary questions. Personally, I think they would have been better off with Carr and Peterson than Schaub and Green and player to be named. We'll see what happens in the end. I could definitely see them jumping on Leon Hall here, since Atlanta likely is trading up to ensure they get Landry.

He's about as good of a prospect as you can get at running back. Problem is he can't stay healthy. We'll see what happens. I don't think he's through with his injuries yet, either, because he runs like Najeh and takes a lot of hits like Ahman.

woodbuck27
03-22-2007, 01:35 PM

I said the same thing a few months back when ATL owner said Vick is the man. I would have liked to get rid of A-Rod for Moss and bring in Schaub. I know, I know - not a popular opinion.

If that would have done it, then it certainly seems reasonable to me.

packrulz
03-22-2007, 02:07 PM
Schaub is ok but Carr wasn't the problem, it was the o-line. The Texans got hosed if you ask me. They still have a 3rd round pick, maybe TT can get them to trade it for Kevin Barry. :lol: