PDA

View Full Version : Couple points from a PFW chat the other day

gureski
03-21-2007, 04:12 PM
I found these in a PFW chat yesterday and wanted to point them out:

Mike (Washington): Dan, Is Seattle still the best team (for you) to win the NFC West?

Dan Arkush: (4:37 PM ET ) Mike, yesterday PFW's editors had to make complete division-by-division picks for our upcoming 2007 Preview mag, and I really had a hard time with the NFC West. Seattle was such a strange team last season. They really had to put up with a lot of key injuries, but I think all the other teams in the division are closing the gap. After a lot of pondering, I decided to pick the Cardinals over the Seahawks. I have really been impressed with the new coach Ken Whisenhunt, and I just have a gut feeling that they will be the kind of intriguing dark horse everybody thought they would be last season. Arizona's defense has to really improve, though. And I still think Seattle could make the playoffs. the NFC West is finally getting better.

AND THIS

James (Indianola, IA): What are the Vikings doing this offseason? No help at Reciever or Defensive End? Will Childress be gone after this season?

Dan Arkush: (4:57 PM ET ) The Vikings haven't done squat. I'm not sure what's going on there. Right now I see them giving the Lions a real good money for the NFC North cellar. Two more questions, firends.

First, people wonder why many of us dismiss the pundits at times? It's only been 3 weeks since free agency started and we haven't had the draft but they're making divisional forecasts?

Second, Arkush says the Vikings will be giving the Lions a run for the cellar....that means PFW will be picking the Packers to finish in second place in the North.

gbpackfan
03-21-2007, 04:24 PM
The "experts" having been picking the Cardinals to be good for the past three seasons. It hasn't happened yet. I guess if you predict that a bad team will be good (every year), eventually it may happen. Truth? These guys don't know anymore then we do. Some of them are just better at putting their ideas on paper then some of us.

Charles Woodson
03-21-2007, 04:29 PM
The "experts" having been picking the Cardinals to be good for the past three seasons. It hasn't happened yet. I guess if you predict that a bad team will be good (every year), eventually it may happen. Truth? These guys don't know anymore then we do. Some of them are just better at putting their ideas on paper then some of us.

Im not gana lie i thought the cards would break out this last season. Yea i agree that these people know just about as much as we do.

Tony Oday
03-21-2007, 08:45 PM

Im not gana lie i thought the cards would break out this last season. Yea i agree that these people know just about as much as we do.

They are going to suck this year too. No offensive line=crappy team

gureski
03-21-2007, 08:57 PM
The thing is, if they're making their predictions now, what credability do those magazine's have?

I'm sure they have an editing process but this confirms my distrust of the name magazines at the supermarket come FF time. You can't judge any of the NFL teams today. You have to wait and see how the rest of the off-season unfolds. To pick division winners in the third week of March is ridiculous.

retailguy
03-21-2007, 08:59 PM
The thing is, if they're making their predictions now, what credability do those magazine's have?

I'm sure they have an editing process but this confirms my distrust of the name magazines at the supermarket come FF time. You can't judge any of the NFL teams today. You have to wait and see how the rest of the off-season unfolds. To pick division winners in the third week of March is ridiculous.

I think the goal is to sell magazines, not to be accurate. They can publish one now, and then re-publish one in the fall.

Betcha Harvey buys both of them! :wink:

red
03-21-2007, 09:10 PM
well, its just like how all the draft magazines waited until after the combine to come out

but now that they're finally out, none of them use the info from the combine

they all still estimate all the measurements and times

really whats the point?

like RG said, its probably just about the money, not the accuracy

HarveyWallbangers
03-21-2007, 09:18 PM

No need to buy magazines when you have the Internet. Nah, I usually buy one Draft Guide and one Scouting Guide.

retailguy
03-21-2007, 09:20 PM

No need to buy magazines when you have the Internet. Nah, I usually buy one Draft Guide and one Scouting Guide.

I figured you would buy everything you could get your hands on... I agree about the internet. I don't buy ANY magazines anymore, unless I'm flying. Then I'll pick one up, if there isn't a new Grisham novel in paperback...

Partial
03-22-2007, 12:06 AM
Next time any of you have to fly, you should read the brothers karamazov. Great book right there.

CaliforniaCheez
03-22-2007, 01:12 AM
Those Preview magazines used to be on the shelf in July. Then it was late June. Now It is around Memorial Day.

Giving time for printing and distribution, their writing has to be done around the draft. I'm sure ad space is already being sold.

There are many free agents added late and there is always someone cut between the writing of the team roster and the magazine showing up on the newstands.

No coaching is evaluated before they hit the market.

Unfortunately, the one hitting the newstands first sells better.

gureski
03-22-2007, 07:52 AM
Mel Kiper's guide doesn't come out til 2 or 3 weeks prior to the draft so that's a real solid guide to have. He tries to wait as late as possible. I try to buy that every year and I've been pleased with it. If you're going to get a draft book, this is the one to get.