PDA

View Full Version : Strength and Conditioning

MJZiggy
03-21-2007, 08:14 PM
Packers tone down strength program to tune up

By Tom Pelissero
tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

For all the hype about high-tech gadgetry and futuristic training, the Green Bay Packers' strength and conditioning program is under way with a throwback theme: Make the offseason feel like the offseason.

That means less lifting. A lighter load on Tuesdays. A full breakfast every morning at the dining hall. And the same three-day weekends veterans have come to appreciate.

There's more than one way to prepare for a fast start, and Packers strength and conditioning coordinator Rock Gullickson believes his players can reach maximum strength by the team's mid-May minicamp without suffering mental burnout.

"And I'm hopeful as guys go away for that month of July," Gullickson said Tuesday afternoon, "that they'll keep working toward another peak heading into training camp."

At least that's the plan set by Packers coach Mike McCarthy, who promised changes to the team's offseason program after last year's 1-4 start.

Players were screened Monday to identify weaknesses in their bodies, which Gullick-son and other assistants began trying to strengthen Tuesday. Future Tuesdays will follow suit, with players focusing on functional training, addressing individual needs and resting for harder workouts on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

There are three training sessions each morning, all beginning with organized exercises in the Don Hutson Center. Veterans get the prime 9:30 time slot — a small concession for those skeptical about new equipment and routines. After a two-week adaptation period, players will spend seven weeks working toward strength and power, leaving most conventional football activities for camps in May and June.

Though a number of players were "accounted for" but absent Monday and Tuesday, according to Gullickson, attendance is expected to surpass last year's total when they arrive next week. Several players returning from injuries — tackle Kevin Barry, quarterback Aaron Rodgers and safety Marviel Underwood — already are doing what they can under close watch from team trainers.

"Good energy. Good focus," Gullickson said of the first sessions. "Going into the offseason off a four-game winning streak, I feel it's still with them."

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070321/PKR01/703210557/1989

pbmax
03-21-2007, 09:24 PM
The JSOnline article about the same program made it sound like bootcamp compared to previous years, emphasizing the length of the program and the addition of functional evaluation. Just goes to show how no one can capture every perspective.

I wonder if teams chart their injuries compared to other teams to try to isolate whether the strength and conditioning guy is giving them an edge. It might be the only stat missing these days. At least I have neven seen it reported. Exception would the Astro Turf study on knee injuries from a couple of years ago.

Guiness
03-21-2007, 09:29 PM
You have to wonder what they were thinking with that first generation indoor turf, aka carpet stretched over cement.

I'm sure when they look back at it now they say 'what were we thinking????'

Joemailman
03-21-2007, 09:50 PM
They were thinking...Won't have to get the lawnmower fixed!

Merlin
03-22-2007, 02:20 PM
I have to admit that our conditioning on 2006 looked a lot better. We had less serious injuries and the team looked good through the end of the season. It could have been just luck but I believe the players bought the whole package from McCarthy.

packers11
03-22-2007, 09:33 PM
I have to admit that our conditioning on 2006 looked a lot better. We had less serious injuries and the team looked good through the end of the season. It could have been just luck but I believe the players bought the whole package from McCarthy.

Nothing could have topped the disaster of 2005... I swear every game someone would go down... That season was the worst football season EVER...