PDA

View Full Version : For the Packers.Free-agent story stays the same

woodbuck27
03-23-2007, 12:14 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070322/PKR01/703220489/1989

Posted March 22, 2007

Free-agent story stays the same

By Tom Pelissero
tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

Green Bay Packers General Manager Ted Thompson lets scouts handle most pro day workouts, but he took time to attend the University of Texas' annual circus Wednesday in Austin.

The Longhorns have built a reputation for their extravagant setup, which includes two catered meals, meetings with coaches and trainers and a separate room for screening film.

It left Thompson a little wiped out by the time he returned to Green Bay on Wednesday night.

"They're getting longer and longer, I'll tell you that," he said.

Among the players working out in Austin were two potential first- or second-round picks — safety Michael Griffin and tackle Justin Blaylock — as well as running backs Ramonce Taylor and Selvin Young, who are expected to be available late on the second day of next month's NFL draft.

The Packers remain in need of backfield help since the loss of starting running back Ahman Green, who signed with the Houston Texans, and release of longtime fullback William Henderson this month.

Thompson declined to comment on the status of contract talks with fullback Terrelle Smith, who visited Green Bay on Tuesday.

Smith's agent, Ryan Tollner, also was attending a pro day workout — one of 20 around the country Wednesday — and did not return messages.

Smith, 29, has said he would like to play for the Arizona Cardinals, who until recently shared a stadium with his alma mater, Arizona State.

He spent the first four seasons of his NFL career in New Orleans — when Packers coach Mike McCarthy was offensive coordinator — before signing with the Cleveland Browns, who cut him last week. If signed, Smith likely would compete for the starting fullback job with Brandon Miree.

Nearly three weeks into the free-agent signing period, the Packers have entertained a handful of veterans but signed only one — former New York Giants cornerback Frank Walker, who isn't expected to compete for a starting role.

Asked for his feelings on free agency so far, Thompson said. . .

''It's going "OK. We have people evaluating guys, doing our thing. … We're still plugging along."

comment:

Oh good. :)

woodbuck27
03-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Packers News Online Poll Problems viewing poll?

Are you satisfied with the offseason performance of Packers' general manager Ted Thompson?

Yes at 22.9 %

NO at 36.1 %

It's too early to tell at 41%

Number of votes cast: 19960

Packnut
03-23-2007, 02:14 PM
Packers News Online Poll Problems viewing poll?

Are you satisfied with the offseason performance of Packers' general manager Ted Thompson?

Yes at 22.9 %

NO at 36.1 %

It's too early to tell at 41%

Number of votes cast: 19960

I find that poll a pretty good indication of how the majority of Packer fans feel. Hell, they make national political polls using less people. It actually says that right now 72% ain't jumping for joy. I also believe Packer fans are very knowledgable about what is going on. I take a lot of crap from people like harvey around here for my Thompson views, and it turns out, THEY are the ones in the minority!

HarveyWallbangers
03-23-2007, 02:32 PM
It actually says that right now 72% ain't jumping for joy.

Or you could read it as 64% say it's too early to judge. That's probably how most feel about it. Really, who cares? I'd hope a GM wouldn't care about fan sentiment.

Packnut
03-23-2007, 03:07 PM

Or you could read it as 64% say it's too early to judge. That's probably how most feel about it. Really, who cares? I'd hope a GM wouldn't care about fan sentiment.

What it reads is out of almost 20,000 fans, only 22.9% share your view that he's done a good job so far this off-season. Twist it any way you want and it still comes out the same. But that could change. Hell, may-be Thompson will sign Hamlin and those numbers will change.

Patler
03-23-2007, 03:16 PM

What it reads is out of almost 20,000 fans, only 22.9% share your view that he's done a good job so far this off-season. Twist it any way you want and it still comes out the same. But that could change. Hell, may-be Thompson will sign Hamlin and those numbers will change.

It also reads that of almost 20,000 fans, only about 36% share your view that he's done a bad job so far this off-season. Twist it anyway you want and it still comes out the same!
:D :D

What it really shows is that the largest group of fans are knowledgeable and patient, realizing that the off season is a long time and the roster won't be finalized for many months. They will judge TT on the totality of his off-season performance, not just a small snippet of it.

Scott Campbell
03-23-2007, 03:55 PM
What it really shows is that the largest group of fans are knowledgeable and patient, realizing that the off season is a long time and the roster won't be finalized for many months. They will judge TT on the totality of his off-season performance, not just a small snippet of it.

Agreed. Only 36% of the respondents were of the "sky is falling" variety.

I count myself among the undecided.

gbpackfan
03-23-2007, 05:28 PM
It is a bit alarming that TT did not upgrade ANY starting position via free agency. NOT ONE! Kind of pathetic. Who is going to score? We were terrible in the red zone last year and it looks like we will be terrible in the red zone again this year.

HarveyWallbangers
03-23-2007, 05:35 PM
I'm going to wait until after the preseason to judge. I might even wait until the regular season. It's clear we need to get a RB, WR, and TE before the start of the regular season. I'm thinking we'll need a S also, but maybe Underwood or Culver is the answer. If we aren't going to sign any guys, it will be important to hit on the draft big-time and for young guys like Ruvell Martin, Carlyle Holliday, Brady Poppinga, Will Blackmon, Tory Humphrey/Zac Alcorn, and others to step up. The team is young in its backup positions, so maybe there's hope for some of these guys. There's also a need for young guys like Jason Spitz, Daryn Colledge, Greg Jennings, A.J. Hawk, Brady Poppinga, Nick Collins, Corey Williams, Cullen Jenkings to continue to improve and take the another step up.

Bretsky
03-23-2007, 05:54 PM

It also reads that of almost 20,000 fans, only about 36% share your view that he's done a bad job so far this off-season. Twist it anyway you want and it still comes out the same!
:D :D

Nearly twice as many fans are disappointed than happy. The undecided group are pretty dam patient. That's how I read it.

HarveyWallbangers
03-23-2007, 06:55 PM
It's never sexy to build from within. Big name FAs will get the publicity, but most teams get good because their young players develop.

pack4to84
03-23-2007, 07:17 PM
If TT doesn't sign a big free agent this year with the lost of Green and his 5.5mil contract. Packers could receive a 3rd rd draft pick in compensation in 2008. We all know how much TT loves draft picks. If you where him would you sign a free agent to waste your chance on losing your 3rd rd compensation pick. I think not. TT wouldn't sign any free agent that would effect this most likely out come.

prsnfoto
03-23-2007, 07:52 PM
Come on guys he has the same stellar approval ratings as our president ultimately his legacy will be determined from the results, I already know one of them has failed and will be judged the worst of all time lets just hope it doesn't happen to both that would be to damn depressing.

Bretsky
03-23-2007, 08:14 PM
It's never sexy to build from within. Big name FAs will get the publicity, but most teams get good because their young players develop.

You are right; it's the model to "slowly" build from within.

If you are of the mindset that our window to a potential title has closed with Favre at the helm it's a great model.

If you are of the mindset that we don't have to close the window you won't be too fond of it.

That might be a good topic.

HarveyWallbangers
03-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Come on guys he has the same stellar approval ratings as our president ultimately his legacy will be determined from the results, I already know one of them has failed and will be judged the worst of all time lets just hope it doesn't happen to both that would be to damn depressing.

Yawn!

Patler
03-24-2007, 08:51 AM
Nearly twice as many fans are disappointed than happy. The undecided group are pretty dam patient. That's how I read it.

36.1 is "nearly twice as many" as 22.9? 36 is "nearly" 46? I don't think that is a very accurate conclusion from the survey.

You don't have to be "pretty dam patient" to not be concerned over the status of the roster in mid to late March. All you have to be is realistic. Let's see what happens before TC and how the young players and rookies contribute before we condemn TT.

I'm not sure the safety position is the weakness many of you think it is. There might be more than we think behind what we blame Manual for. TT might feel very good about Underwood, Culver, Bigby and/or Peprah, thinking one will step into a bigger role next year.

It's not outrageous to think the draft will supply a starter or frequent player at one or two positions, maybe even more.

We really don't know what deals TT might be working on. Maybe there is nothing, but if there is, he certainly wouldn't mention it. There may be some decent players available this summer. Almost unbelievably, some teams have already pushed their increased caps to the breaking point and may have to release a player when the rookie pools are assigned.

By mid-October we may understand what has happened in March a lot better. Or....we might be heating the tar, gathering feathers and selecting a suitable pole! :D

March has made me curious, but certainly has not made me angry or disappointed.

imscott72
03-25-2007, 09:52 AM

Eggsactly.... :D

Bretsky
03-25-2007, 10:05 AM

Eggsactly.... :D

TT gets judged on whether he wins a Super Bowl; until then we just voice our opinions, as patient or impatient as they may seem.

esoxx
03-25-2007, 10:11 AM
TT gets judged on whether he wins a Super Bowl; until then we just voice our opinions, as patient or impatient as they may seem.

QTF

Bretsky
03-25-2007, 11:53 AM

36.1 is "nearly twice as many" as 22.9? 36 is "nearly" 46? I don't think that is a very accurate conclusion from the survey.

You don't have to be "pretty dam patient" to not be concerned over the status of the roster in mid to late March. All you have to be is realistic. Let's see what happens before TC and how the young players and rookies contribute before we condemn TT.

I'm not sure the safety position is the weakness many of you think it is. There might be more than we think behind what we blame Manual for. TT might feel very good about Underwood, Culver, Bigby and/or Peprah, thinking one will step into a bigger role next year.

It's not outrageous to think the draft will supply a starter or frequent player at one or two positions, maybe even more.

We really don't know what deals TT might be working on. Maybe there is nothing, but if there is, he certainly wouldn't mention it. There may be some decent players available this summer. Almost unbelievably, some teams have already pushed their increased caps to the breaking point and may have to release a player when the rookie pools are assigned.

By mid-October we may understand what has happened in March a lot better. Or....we might be heating the tar, gathering feathers and selecting a suitable pole! :D

March has made me curious, but certainly has not made me angry or disappointed.

I'm a big picture kind of guy; early on in Math my grade school teachers taught me the concept that if greater than .5 you round up so that was stemmed my nearly twice as many comment . :lol:

If we want exacts, then for every fan that things TT is doing a good job, there are 1.577 fans that think he is not. Nearly 60% on the no side (if you will let me round up :wink:

Relying on Underwood after a torn ACL is not smart; maybe Manuel is much better than everybody thinks. But honestly, he was never that good. And Bigby and Peprah ? Bonuses if they work out; they are just as likely to get the same fate as Atlas Herion :wink: with Green Bay than become solid starters. Hey, isn't Herion playing somewhere ?

Maybe TT is working the way he is with the faith that he is bringing Moss and Turner in; who knows what he's thinking.

By me he'll be judged on whether he brings a Super Bowl to Green Bay; right now it does not appear he has helped GB or his Hall of Fame QB try to reach that goal in the next couple years. Maybe the window has closed and we are planning for the more distant future.

Time will tell.

Patler
03-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Hey, isn't Herion playing somewhere ?

Herion is with Texas. Was last season too.

esoxx
03-25-2007, 02:47 PM
Herion is with Texas. Was last season too.

I'm pretty sure Herion has already used up his college eligibility. :)