PDA

View Full Version : Rant - Duke Rape Case

Kiwon
03-23-2007, 07:36 PM
Report: All Charges Against Duke Lacrosse Players to Be Dropped Soon

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,260426,00.html
.................................................. ...............................

A black stripper accuses rich, white boys of rape.

On the basis on the accusation itself, not facts, these guys are immediately presumed guilty by a sizeable portion of the Duke faculty, 100% of the biased mainstream media and their lemming followers ALL THE WHILE that the obvious politically-motivated handling of the case by D.A. Mike Nifong is conspicuously ignored.

Now, apparently the charges, that never should have been brought, will be dropped.

So how do these men repair the damage done to their reputations in the press? Who will reimburse their families for over a year's worth of legal fees?

Merlin
03-23-2007, 07:41 PM
I am sure their reputations are pretty much fubared. Suing the girl won't do any good by the sounds of it. Basically all they get is a "Whoops I am sorry". That's what happens when someone eager to get re-elected jumps the gun and the liberal media automatically becomes prosecutor, judge and jury. If it were me, I would sue the media, they got money right? There has to be some kind of defamation of character by at least one if not most media outlets.

Harlan Huckleby
03-23-2007, 07:41 PM
i don't think much harm was done to the accused in this particular case.

Not sure if you remember this, but when the story broke, Jesse Jackson flew into town and offered to pay college tuition for the girl who was allegedly attacked. Pretty ridiculous.

All I ask for in these cases is people not takes sides before the facts are out.

Freak Out
03-23-2007, 08:00 PM
Who are these guys? What were the names again? They'll be fine.

Kiwon
03-23-2007, 08:04 PM
These guys were no angels, but they didn't deserve what they received and are the obvious victims in this case.

The worst case for me is the Richard Jewel case over the Olympic Bombings. He goes from hero to villian in 2 days, gets killed by the FBI and the press for years and DID NOTHING WRONG. In fact, he saved lives through his quick action.

Then he gets a letter from the FBI letting him know that he is no longer a suspect. No apology, just a letter.

I'm not sure but I think he still has a case pending against several defendents, including the Atlanta Journal-Constitution newspaper. I don't think its been settled yet.

I can't imagine the nightmare of having the full weight of the US government AND the press bearing down on you - and you're an innocent man! Poor slob!

red
03-23-2007, 08:38 PM
i don't know if its the "liberal" media as much as it is media in general jumping on this as fast as they can and trying to make something out of it when theres nothing there yet

why was this even natural news

women get rapped every day, yet 99% of them never get mentioned on national news

and who the hell cares about lacross?

even if the guys did do it, i don't see this as being national news

i also think the almost global hatred for everything duke had something to do with it. people were looking for a reason to dump on duke

SkinBasket
03-23-2007, 08:54 PM
I raped a duke once. He sent a marquis to avenge his honor and I put it in him too. But he liked it.

Freak Out
03-23-2007, 10:46 PM
I raped a duke once. He sent a marquis to avenge his honor and I put it in him too. But he liked it.

Lol.... :)

LEWCWA
03-24-2007, 02:26 AM
Get used to it! You get accused of anything its gonna cost you and well DA's don't necessarily worry about if your guilty just if they can win or not!

mraynrand
03-24-2007, 01:40 PM

It's like in the olden days, in the... days of France, when men would slap each other with their gloves... say, y'know..."D'Artagnan!"... y'know, "how dare you talk to me like that, you!," and... smack 'em! - Corky St. Clair

swede
03-24-2007, 06:00 PM

It's like in the olden days, in the... days of France, when men would slap each other with their gloves... say, y'know..."D'Artagnan!"... y'know, "how dare you talk to me like that, you!," and... smack 'em! - Corky St. Clair

Corky always did know how to talk to a Dumas.

SkinBasket
03-24-2007, 08:58 PM
Rape is a serious matter and not to be joked about by downs syndrome attention seeking actors.

red
03-25-2007, 09:03 AM
Rape is a serious matter and not to be joked about by downs syndrome attention seeking actors.

not that corkey

the waiting for guffman corkey, the flaming one

Kiwon
04-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Hi, Crystal Gail Mangum. It's nice to finally see the face of the person who has done so much damage.

Now that the case is dropped there will be talk of "healing race relations, etc." and letting things fade away.

But if people are serious about "healing race relations" then they will prosecute this woman and send a message to all the other Tawana Brawley juniors that lies actually do damage to innocent people's lives and rape and racial attacks are not something to be falsely claimed without consequence.

She should be prosecuted. Nifong should be prosecuted. The disgusting liberal Duke faculty is too self-righteous to even feel shame. It's too bad their isn't a law against liberal idiocy. The same for the media and Sharpton Inc.,

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/0411071duke1.jpg

Kiwon
04-11-2007, 05:31 PM
"This afternoon, North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper announced that he was dropping all charges against the men, saying that there was "no credible evidence" against the "innocent" trio.

Cooper said that, in fact, evidence gathered by investigators contradicted the accuser's claim, adding that the woman herself has "told many stories" that were themselves contradictory. Asked if she had lied about the attack, Cooper said that investigators think that she "may actually believe" the many different stories she has told.

As for charging Mangum in connection with her claims, Cooper said it was "not in the best interest of justice" to file charges against her. He then made reference to "sealed" records--which apparently regard her mental health--about the woman that convinced prosecutors not to pursue charges against her."
.................................................. ....................

Great. Nifong didn't have access to the same sealed records?

This case better become standard in every criminal justice textbook and the name Mike Nifong forever be tied to the crime of prosecutorial misconduct.

GrnBay007
04-11-2007, 05:48 PM
I don't want to debate anything about this case because I honestly did not follow it much. What I do want to add is the fact that they found this woman to have mental health problems and
Asked if she had lied about the attack, Cooper said that investigators think that she "may actually believe" the many different stories she has told. This does not, in any way mean a sexual assault did not take place. Prosecutors will not take a high profile case like this to trial if they do not have a good credible witness. Because she has mental health problems she is therefore not a credible witness. This does not mean something illegal did not happen!! In fact I'm sure if they were absolutely sure those poor Duke boys were being taken advantage of by a completely false report, they would have charged her.

Merlin
04-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Ah 007 you are as sweet as they come!

Nifong was up for re-election running against black opposition. The case was upper class white boys vs. a black stripper in an area with a large black population. Do the math and you will see why it went as far as it did with virtually no evidence, including the girl who made the claim as her version of the story changed every time she told it.

Nifong will probably lose his license to practice law as the state attorney general looks into his misconduct.

Kiwon
04-11-2007, 08:16 PM
This does not, in any way mean a sexual assault did not take place. Prosecutors will not take a high profile case like this to trial if they do not have a good credible witness. Because she has mental health problems she is therefore not a credible witness. This does not mean something illegal did not happen!!

Whether something is "illegal" or not is determined in a court of law. It's a legal judgment.

I don't want to debate the case either. But I would make two points: 1. If I follow what you said then the 81-year old that claims she had a relationship with Bart Starr in 1960 could be telling the truth even though Bart Starr says he has never met the woman. So if the 81-year old really believes it then it has merit? Prim and proper Bart Starr a cad?, a rapist? all because an elderly woman believes it?

This stripper had the DNA of five different men in or on her from that night, none of which belong to the accused players, but the players COULD be guilty of rape? She told her friends she was going to get money from "rich, white boys" and they COULD be guilty of rape? There is NO evidence to support the accusation but they deserve to presumed guilty and have their reputations destroyed and pay a year's worth of legal fees because they're white and the girl is black?

In fact I'm sure if they were absolutely sure those poor Duke boys were being taken advantage of by a completely false report, they would have charged her.

2. You are assuming the District Attorney is conscientiously doing his job and serving the community. The whole controversy is that Mike Nifong used this case to pander to the black community so that he would be reelected and increase his retirement benefits. He abused the power of his office and violated a public trust. That's the controversy.

There was NEVER any credible evidence implicating the Duke players. In fact, in the face of a mountain of contradictory evidence somehow Nifong decided to keep up the ruse. Many liberal and conservative legal experts both concluded that he intentionally manipulated this case.

And now he alone faces legal charges.

This is a sad tale start to finish but at least one corrupt public official has been exposed, removed, and will be eventually cooling his heels in prison.

The painful part is that it all started with a lie about rape and a racial attack and many, many people's lives got hurt through this. This woman is not a victim. She is a victimizer and deserves to be punished.

hurleyfan
04-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Where is Jesse Jackson and his entourage now?

How come there is no apology from Jackson and his cronies saying they made the wrong decision, said the wrong things, caused more racist grief based on an overblown accusation?

This whole thing just sucks...

And now there is the Imus crap getting all blown out of proportion...

the_idle_threat
04-11-2007, 08:33 PM
This stripper had the DNA of five different men in or on her from that night, none of which belong to the accused players, but the players COULD be guilty of rape?

Kiwon, take a moment to catch your breath.

I think what 007 was saying is there still could have been a rape, even if the charged individuals weren't the perpetrators.

Looks like some innocent guys got charged, and I agree that's nothing short of a tragedy. If the D.A. knew they were innocent but proceeded anyway, there are grounds for disciplinary action against him.

But how do we know the other five men whose DNA was found "in and on her" were consensual? Did you interview the sperm? It's also a tragedy if 5 guys raped this girl and they will get away with it because she couldn't identify exactly which guys they were.

Kiwon
04-11-2007, 09:42 PM
This stripper had the DNA of five different men in or on her from that night, none of which belong to the accused players, but the players COULD be guilty of rape?

Kiwon, take a moment to catch your breath.

I think what 007 was saying is there still could have been a rape, even if the charged individuals weren't the perpetrators.

Breath caught. :D

I am a fan of all things 007 ("Bond, James Bond") and she can speak for herself but I took it from the context of the discussion that she was referring to the charges against the Duke players.

Really, I'm not going to dwell on this but the whole thing offends me. Good people want to have and promote racial harmony and low-life's like Crystal Mangum do so much to destroy people's good will.

This is a case where want you see is what you get. She's a shady character who was looking to shake down some rich kids and Mike Nifong is a unscrupulous public official. One lie led to another and then to another until finally the house of cards they both helped to construct came falling down.

Pinocchio is laughing at them now.

GrnBay007
04-11-2007, 11:20 PM
Ah 007 you are as sweet as they come!

Got that right Baby! :P :wink:

Nifong was up for re-election running against black opposition. The case was upper class white boys vs. a black stripper in an area with a large black population. Do the math and you will see why it went as far as it did with virtually no evidence, including the girl who made the claim as her version of the story changed every time she told it.

Nifong will probably lose his license to practice law as the state attorney general looks into his misconduct.

Like I said, I didn't follow the case and didn't know anything about some re-election. My comments were directed toward them making the statement they were not proceeding due to her mental health problems.

I've seen so many plea bargains and charges dropped due to inappropriate witnesses and the reality of it is it's not that a crime didn't take place....just wasn't in the Prosecutors best interest to proceed. Ever see that movie from the 80's with Jodi Foster called Accused?

GrnBay007
04-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Breath caught. :D

I am a fan of all things 007 ("Bond, James Bond") and she can speak for herself but I took it from the context of the discussion that she was referring to the charges against the Duke players.

Really, I'm not going to dwell on this but the whole thing offends me. Good people want to have and promote racial harmony and low-life's like Crystal Mangum do so much to destroy people's good will.

Kiwon, see my above post.

But I do have one question about your above comment....Good people want to have and promote racial harmony and low-life's like Crystal Mangum do so much to destroy people's good will.

Do you mean the nice Duke boys were trying to promote racial harmony by hiring a black stripper for their party? I think from now on they should just visit a public strip bar....for their own safety. :wink:

Also, I don't think this incident will damage those nice Duke boys for life. I bet they will grow up to make their parents very proud.

And yes, false accusations are wrong and should not be tolerated...I agree completely.....as long as that can be proved without a doubt.

Kiwon
04-12-2007, 07:12 AM
My last word...

In 1955 a fourteen-year old black youth, Emmett Till, supposedly whistled at a white woman in Mississippi. He was murdered 3 days later in an incident that set in motion the modern day Civil Rights Movement.

America's South has an especially complicated history of racial injustice. Native Southerners can't escape the tragedies of the past but many are trying to make the present and future better and brighter.

Durham, N.C. has a population roughly 45% White, 44% Black. Allegations of rape can tear open social wounds that are very slow to heal. It can very quickly become 1955 again leaving whole communities divided along racial lines and passions enflamed.

It's easy to start a wildfire, but it's extraordinarily difficult to put it out.

Good people, black and white, work hard to build trust between their communities and that's why it's so painful and discouraging to have progress set back through a circumstance like this one.

Many people have been hurt through the lies and deception of this woman and the D.A.

Three innocent men had their faces and names splashed around the world, were identified as accused rapists and called "hooligans" while the identity and background of the accuser was protected. The D.A. manipulated the system and then continued with his charade leaving three families and a whole community in turmoil all the while he knew the accused men were innocent.

People grip about $3.00 a gallon gas. Well, each of these families is out probably over $1,000,000 in legal fees defending their innocent children. It is plain callus to minimize the hell that they unjustly went through for a year.

I have no sympathy for Crystal Mangum or Mike Nifong. They started a fire that turned into a wildfire and did enormous damage. Maybe, now, that the truth has come out will justice finally be done.

Harlan Huckleby
04-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Good people want to have and promote racial harmony and low-life's like Crystal Mangum do so much to destroy people's good will.

I wouldn't blame Crystal Magnum, and certainly not call her a low life. She's probably sincerely believes each and every one of the 16 different versions of stories that she told. It seems that she was messed-up on drugs the night of the incident.

I was listening to a reporter on Charlie Rose show last night who has covered this case the past year. She has read all of Crystal Magnum's statements. She said they were so bizarre and inconsistent, she thought they might be an attempt by Magnum to get the prosecutor to drop the case. Her other theory was that Magnum was crazy.

The culprit in this whole affair is political correctness. The prosecutor was re-elected last fall because of his "righteous stand." A history of racial injustice should NEVER have been the issue, just like with the OJ case. The facts of the case are all that should be considered, out of fairness to the accused.

Immediately after the allegations were made, Jesse Jackson flew to the scene, gave speeches about racism, and said he would pay all remaining college tuition for the "victim." (I would like some reporter to do a follow up story on the Magnum/Jackson partnership, is he still supporting her? )

I like Jessie Jackson, personally. But this incident shows a terrible side of his schtick: too quick to judgment, too righteous. Jackson needs to apologize to those men who he defamed, and for his role in intensfying this injustice. I would be very pleased to see this, not sure he has it in him. Jackson often talks about forgiveness, and I think people would forgive him for this mistake.

GrnBay007
04-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Hey HH, good to see you! Umm....the above that you have quoted was not something I wrote. You are slippin baby!! :wink:

Jimx29
04-12-2007, 04:12 PM
I must of missed it....when was it that Jackson is gonna apologize for the "All the Hymies in Hymietown" quote? Or how about how he was supporting this hooker and was gonna pay her collage tuition? Or what about Sharpton for Tuwana Brawley, the Crown Heights Riots, and the Freddie's Fashion Mart murders- all things Sharpton played a big hand in, and he was basically an accessory to the murder of a few people in those last 2 cases (one a Jew and several Hispanics killed by black mobs that Sharpton incited)??

Friggin hypocrites anyway.... :roll:

pacfan
04-12-2007, 04:35 PM
I must of missed it....when was it that Jackson is gonna apologize for the "All the Hymies in Hymietown" quote? Or how about how he was supporting this hooker and was gonna pay her collage tuition? Or what about Sharpton for Tuwana Brawley, the Crown Heights Riots, and the Freddie's Fashion Mart murders- all things Sharpton played a big hand in, and he was basically an accessory to the murder of a few people in those last 2 cases (one a Jew and several Hispanics killed by black mobs that Sharpton incited)??

Friggin hypocrites anyway.... :roll:

yep, the hypocrisy....

mraynrand
04-13-2007, 10:51 AM
How about the arbiters of impartiality? The Tolerant Liberal educators who teach guilty until proven innocent. The feeling caring crowd that teaches the young people all the important life lessons in the Humanities, Women studies, and English Lit classes (I almost said Western Civilization class, but that probably doesn't exist at Duke - to quote Jesse Jackson "Hey, hey, ho, ho, Western Civilization's go to go!"). These liberal paragons of virtue are exaulted enough to pass judgment before the legal system. 80 professors at Duke should be handed pick slips. But guess what - it will never happen.

Hey, whose coaching the Duke Mens Lacrosse team these days?

Kiwon
04-13-2007, 06:31 PM
80 professors at Duke should be handed pick slips. But guess what - it will never happen.

I think it was 88 enlightened buddhas that immediately threw these guys overboard with a front page ad in the campus newspaper. Their moral compasses broke a long time again and they are never ever wrong. Ain't tenure great?

One in five American adults are functionally illiterate. Ah, who cares!

Kiwon
06-15-2007, 07:20 PM
Duke D.A. says he will resign

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — A tearful Mike Nifong said Friday he will resign as district attorney after admitting that he made improper statements about three Duke University lacrosse players who were once charged with raping a stripper.

"My community has suffered enough," Nifong said from the witness stand at his ethics trial on allegations that he violated rules of professional conduct in his handling of the case.

The players were later declared innocent by state prosecutors.

The North Carolina State Bar said Nifong withheld DNA test results from the players' defense attorneys, lied to the court and bar investigators, and made misleading and inflammatory comments about the three athletes, who were cleared of charges they raped a stripper at a team party in March 2006.

Nifong said he did not make all the mistakes alleged by the bar, "but they are my mistakes."

"It has become increasingly apparent, during the course of this week, in some ways that it might not have been before, that my presence as the district attorney in Durham is not furthering the cause of justice," Nifong said.

Nifong's soft-spoken statements were barely audible in the courtroom, where observers leaned forward in their chairs as they struggled to hear Nifong through his tears. But the families of since-cleared players Reade Seligmann, Collin Finnerty and Dave Evans watched with little emotion, and Evans' attorney rejected Nifong's attempt to take responsibility.

"It was an obvious cynical ploy to save his law license, and his apology to these people is far too little and comes far too late," defense lawyer Joseph Cheshire said.

Nifong started in the Durham County prosecutor's office nearly three decades ago as a volunteer attorney fresh out of law school. If convicted by the disciplinary committee, he could lose his license to practice law in the state.

The inflammatory statements the bar cited included Nifong calling the players a "bunch of hooligans" and confidently proclaiming he wouldn't allow Durham to become known for "a bunch of lacrosse players from Duke raping a black girl."

On the stand Friday, Nifong said: "The comment about race was not a comment that should have been made."

He also testified about the DNA tests, saying that when he turned over the report to the defense, he "believed at the time that I had given them everything." He said he didn't realize until months later that additional DNA information was missing.

"My first reaction was a variation of 'oh crap,"' Nifong said. "'I didn't give them this?"'

One of the accused players testified earlier Friday that he and his teammates had been confident that the DNA testing would quickly clear them.

The results failed to show any physical contact between the accuser and the members of the lacrosse team, but Nifong still pressed ahead with the case and obtained indictments against Reade Seligmann, Dave Evans and Collin Finnerty.

"We went from being viewed as athletes to being viewed as rapists," Seligmann testified Friday.

Seligmann broke into tears as he described how his attorney got a call from Nifong notifying him of the indictment last year. He said the attorney glanced his way and said, "She picked you."

"My dad just fell to the floor, and I just sat on the ground," Seligmann said. "And I said, 'My life is over.' ... The first thing I thought about was, 'How am I going to tell my mom."'

His attorneys pulled together ATM receipts, cell phone records, time-stamped photos and the testimony of the cab driver who took Seligmann home the night of the off-campus party where the woman, hired to perform as a stripper, said she had been attacked.

"I don't know much about the law," Seligmann said, "but you hear the word alibi, and you think that's one of the first things a prosecutor would want to have. You don't charge an innocent person. I could never understand it."

Nifong's attorneys hoped to finish presenting their defense by Friday evening. The three-member panel hearing the case is expected to deliver a verdict not long after the trial concludes, perhaps as early as Saturday.

Nifong has declined several requests for interviews in recent months. His last public comment on the case before the ethics trial was a one-page statement released the day the case collapsed. In it, he apologized, but only "to the extent that I made judgments that ultimately proved to be incorrect."

North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper, who in April said the three athletes were "innocent" victims of a rogue prosecutor's "tragic rush to accuse," declined to comment. Gov. Mike Easley, who appointed Nifong to the job and will be called on to pick his replacement, also had no comment, a spokeswoman said.
.................................................. ...................................

The North Carolina State Bar is doing a fantastic job in restoring the public's trust in the system by conducting this ethics trial and exposing and eventually stripping the law license away from one of their own.

Mike Nifong got himself into this mess and must pay the price. Lady Justice is blindfolded for a reason - she is supposed to treat everyone fairly no matter his or her race or economic background. However, Mike Nifong tried to manipulate the system for his own purposes and it blew up in his face.

He's in the same vein as the old Southern politicians/officals that perverted justice by manipulating racial tensions through Jim Crow laws. Only, in this case, he pandered to the black community in order to get re-elected one last time before retiring. He knowingly indicted innocent people and then abused the power of his office to keep the charade going for over a year.

He is learning that 29 years in the same D.A.'s office doesn't place him above the same laws he was sworn to uphold. He failed in his duties to the people of North Carolina and no one was served justice because his moral compass got supplanted by his ambition.

Well, Mike Nifong is famous now. This case will be in every legal ethics textbook for decades to come. The term "prosecutorial misconduct" and his name will be linked together for a long time. It's not the way he intended the story to end.

Kiwon
09-08-2007, 05:44 AM
Smile............... Do you realize this guy was intentionally trying to put innocent individuals in prison for rape for the sake of his political gain? Just staggering.

Thank goodness he was stopped. Hopefully, a $30 million lawsuit against Durham will help other cities to better police their own officials. ----link (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-09-07-duke-lacrosse_N.htm?csp=34)
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/packageart/mugshots/mikenifongmug1.jpg

Kiwon
09-08-2007, 06:20 AM
The first book about the case was published this week ----link (http://www.amazon.com/Until-Proven-Innocent-Correctness-Injustices/dp/0312369123/ref=sr_1_1/002-1564269-5600848?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189250034&sr=1-1)

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51UoPtL3VhL._SS500_.jpg