PDA

View Full Version : draft prospect: Eric Weddle S

red
03-23-2007, 09:01 PM
ok, we had to talk about this guy sooner or later

from footballs future

Eric Weddle S 6' 200 Utah
By: Robert Davis

Very few players are as versatile and productive as Eric Weddle. He earned freshman All American honors as a corner in 2003, after finishing with 60 tackles, 4.5 for loss, four sacks, and three interceptions. He moved to strong safety as a sophomore and earned 2nd team MWC honors after posting 75 tackles, 4.5 for loss, one sack, and four interceptions on the year. Weddle broke out as a junior, garnering MWC Defensive Player of the Year award with 78 tackles, 11 for loss, four sacks, and four picks. As a senior, the versatility was on display again. Not only did he have 58 tackles, two for loss, half a sack, and six picks(2 for touchdowns) on defense, but he also saw action on offense. He had 147 rushing yards and four touchdowns, and even threw for a touchdown.

The versatility jumps out at you. Weddle has the athleticism and speed to be a standout at corner, but the size and toughness to be a hitter at strong safety. He is very tough, and attacks his opponent no matter what his responsibility is. When the ball is in the air, he has the awareness to locate it and the ability to go up and get it. He is aggressive moving towards the line of scrimmage and will come up and hit the ball carrier. Weddle has also shown a knack for blitzing and getting to the quarterback to disrupt passing plays.

As a strong safety, he may lack ideal size to match up with tight ends and throw his body around in run support. He may have to move over to free safety, a spot he hasn’t played in college. He’s a bit of a tweener between safety and corner, so he will have to focus and learn one spot at the next level.

Eric Weddle is a very good prospect for the 2007 draft, although his true spot may yet to be determined. He’s been a standout corner and strong safety for the Utes, but may be asked to play free safety in the NFL. Teams will also work him out in the post season to see if he has the change of direction ability to play corner back at the next level. There is also the possibility of him remaining at strong safety if he packs on a few more pounds. One thing is for sure: Weddle’s versatility, talent, and instincts will make him a productive NFL defensive back.

HarveyWallbangers
03-23-2007, 09:08 PM
I like him.

red
03-23-2007, 09:11 PM
me too

there we talked

now lets get back to some good old rumors from packerchatters

HarveyWallbangers
03-23-2007, 09:33 PM
I'd take him or Michael Griffin of Texas in round 2. Get a WR in round 1. Draft a RB in round 3 or 4. Man, I sure hope Thompson can find a way to plug some holes before the start of the season, and not just with draft picks and rookie/street FAs. Forget I said that, I don't want to hear you rambling on about Thompson again.
:D

red
03-23-2007, 09:38 PM
I'd take him or Michael Griffin of Texas in round 2. Get a WR in round 1. Draft a RB in round 3 or 4. Man, I sure hope Thompson can find a way to plug some holes before the start of the season, and not just with draft picks and rookie/street FAs. Forget I said that, I don't want to hear you rambling on about Thompson again.

i won't ramble

not in my own thread anyways

i would also like to see one of those two taken with our second

take a deep threat like meachem in the first

and maybe pittman in the third

but i still want wolfe at some point

:!:

HarveyWallbangers
03-23-2007, 09:41 PM
Wolfe has really fallen down on draft boards. He might be a late second day pick now.

MJZiggy
03-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Why has he fallen? Is he less good than a few weeks ago?

Bretsky
03-23-2007, 10:49 PM
[quote="HarveyWallbangers"]I'd take him or Michael Griffin of Texas in round 2. Get a WR in round 1. Draft a RB in round 3 or 4. Man, I sure hope Thompson can find a way to plug some holes before the start of the season, and not just with draft picks and rookie/street FAs. Forget I said that, I don't want to hear you rambling on about Thompson again.
:D[/quote

1- Meacham
2- Griffin
3- Pittman

and then trade down and pick up 12 7th round picks to fill in all the holes..lol

HarveyWallbangers
03-23-2007, 10:51 PM

He didn't test well at all at the combine. For a guy who is only 5'7" it was crucial for him to come out and put up Maurice Jones-Drew kind of numbers up.

The Shadow
03-23-2007, 10:53 PM
I like both Weddle & John Wendling.

the_idle_threat
03-23-2007, 11:05 PM
I don't like the name ... "Weddle." Pass.

HarveyWallbangers
03-23-2007, 11:12 PM

Ironically, I don't like that name either. Had an ex-girlfriend with that name.

red
03-23-2007, 11:37 PM

He didn't test well at all at the combine. For a guy who is only 5'7" it was crucial for him to come out and put up Maurice Jones-Drew kind of numbers up.

you sure?

he didn't run the 40 at the combine, but put up a 4.39 at his pro day

i think he put up 22 reps which was one of the most if not the most by a RB

he did a 4.08 in the 20 yard shuttle (ap-4.4, ML-4.58)

6.69 in the three cone drill (ap-7.09, ML-7.09)

his broad jump was 9'8, jennings was 9'9 last year

and his verticle was 35.5, jennings was 36.5 lynch was also 35.5

doesn't look to me like he had a bad combine

red
03-23-2007, 11:43 PM
jones drew, and his type of numbers were

4.39 40, at the combine (wolfe 4.39 at pro day)

4.41 20 yard shuttle (wolfe 4.08)

7.08 3 cone (wolfe 6.69)

36 inch verticle (wolfe 35.5)

9'8 broad jump (wolfe 9'9)

and he did 18 reps (wolfe 22)

looks to me like wolfe did put up maurice jones drew type of numbers, maybe even better

Partial
03-23-2007, 11:46 PM
pwned. He's gonna be a good little scat back on screens. Key is to use him in the open field. He's quick.

I'd take him as a punt returner in the 5th or later.

HarveyWallbangers
03-24-2007, 12:42 AM
looks to me like wolfe did put up maurice jones drew type of numbers, maybe even better

Interesting! I had read somewhere that he disappointed at the combine, but hadn't looked up the numbers to verify. I still don't like him all that much. He's 5'7 1/2" and 186 (the shortest and lightest guy at the combine). I'm not big on drafting a 3rd down back. MJD not withstanding, those guys don't usually turn into full-time starters. They usually turn into Leon Washington or Eric Metcalf. MJD is built like a brick shithouse (he goes 212 of muscle), so was Barry Sanders. Who knows... maybe he turns into another Warrick Dunn (he's built more like that than MJD). Plenty of guys have kicked butt at a school like Northern Illinois (Leshon Johnson), but those numbers don't mean all that much to me. He looked pretty good against Wisconsin, but I thought Brian Calhoun looked like a great player at the college level, and he didn't do anything his rookie year.

esoxx
03-25-2007, 10:15 AM

Just think if his first name was "Ingle". Double Whammy.

the_idle_threat
03-25-2007, 10:54 PM

:lol:

How much you wanna bet he has a family member---an uncle or something---named "Wally"?

esoxx
03-25-2007, 11:03 PM

How much you wanna bet he has a family member---an uncle or something---named "Wally"?

So true, or Willie or something.

You know damn sure his nickname is "Neddle"

Eric "the Neddle" Weddle

That sounds a little better I guess. :whist:

the_idle_threat
03-25-2007, 11:06 PM
Willie .... :idea:

Wally and Willie Weddle could be twins!