PDA

View Full Version : draft prospect:Garrett Wolfe RB

red
03-23-2007, 10:00 PM
we would be saying this guy is one of the greatest RB's of all time if it wasn't for the fact that he's 5'7 177 pounds. he's up to 190 now

the knock on him is that he's too small, and he couldn't be an every down back. but thats exactly what he was in college and had no problems doing it. he was also small in college, and he lit everyone up

even the mighty ohio state, heres proof. he had 289 total yards in that game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_N4jeoGz2M

BTW he just ran a 4.38 at his pro day

from footballs future

Garrett Wolfe RB 5'7 177 Northern Illinois
By: Robert Davis

After redshirting as a freshman, and sitting out the following year for academic issues, Garrett Wolfe took over for the departed Michael Turner and made Husky fans forget all about Turner. In his first season on the field in 2004, Wolfe ran for 1,656 yards and 18 touchdowns, along with 10 catches for 117 yards and three touchdowns through the air. In just nine games in 2005, Wolfe ran for 1,580 yards and 16 touchdowns on the ground, and added 20 receptions and 222 yards and a touchdown out of the backfield. Wolfe closed out his career by leading the nation in rushing with 1,928 yards and 18 touchdowns, while adding 249 yards and a touchdown on 28 catches.

Garrett Wolfe is a very versatile running back. He has fantastic quickness and agility, and the speed to break off long runs with ease. He wastes no steps when he sees a hole, and immediately jumps right through it and takes off. He’s not afraid to run between the tackles and always finishes his runs. Wolfe can also be a threat out of the backfield. With his speed and big play ability, he could be a factor on special teams as well.

The obvious knock on Wolfe’s game is his size. He is extremely small, and it will keep him from being an every down back in the NFL. His body will not hold up with the amount of carries a feature back needs, and he does not pack enough punch because of his small frame.

If it weren’t for size, Wolfe would be one of the elite backs in the draft. His size is a major drawback, and it hurts his potential and draft stock. He could be a great change of pace back and return man in the NFL though.

---------------------------

to me this guy is absolutely worth taking a gamble in the mid round with one of the extra picks tt picks up. he could be a great part of a two headed approach

and as for the thought he's too small. the greatest RB i've ever seen in my life was 5'8 200. and he had a pretty nice career in the pros and would have owned all the records if he hadn't called it quits way too early

HarveyWallbangers
03-23-2007, 10:47 PM
Don't want him.

LL2
03-24-2007, 07:35 AM
I've been talking about this guy for a while. This is the guy who backed up Turner before he went pro and has better numbers than Turner at NIU. I agree he's a little small for a RB, but if he gets past the first two defenders he's gone. Might be able to draft him in the 4th rd, and at that price he's more than worth it.

Charles Woodson
03-24-2007, 09:17 AM
I've been talking about this guy for a while. This is the guy who backed up Turner before he went pro and has better numbers than Turner at NIU. I agree he's a little small for a RB, but if he gets past the first two defenders he's gone. Might be able to draft him in the 4th rd, and at that price he's more than worth it.

how big is turner?

The_Dude
03-24-2007, 10:03 AM
I would compare him to Brian Calhoun from last year. Thier greatest assest for both of them is thier vision which IMO is much more important in our scheme then speed. (hence why I thougth letting green go was OK since it seemed that morency had a much easier time seeing the hole then he did). I would love to speend a 5th ro 6th round pick on Wolfe.

oregonpackfan
03-24-2007, 12:11 PM
I would compare him to Brian Calhoun from last year. Thier greatest assest for both of them is thier vision which IMO is much more important in our scheme then speed. (hence why I thougth letting green go was OK since it seemed that morency had a much easier time seeing the hole then he did). I would love to speend a 5th ro 6th round pick on Wolfe.

How well did Brian Calhoun do for the Lions last year? As I recall, he was pretty much a non-impact player. Calhoun should have stayed with the Badgers another year before turning pro.

I would be willing to spend a 6th round choice on Wolfe but no higher than that.

Spaulding
03-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Late round pick (5th or later) sure - earlier than that and I still have the bitter task of another Husky we drafted from NIU that was supposed to be good - LeShon Johnson (sp?).

red
03-24-2007, 11:43 PM

how big is turner?

5'10 237

packrulz
03-25-2007, 05:00 AM
Kind of reminds me of Darren Sproles, who was drafted by the Chargers last year. Good special teams player who can be a part time RB. I could see drafting him on the 2nd day, the Packs ST's needs help & he does return kicks.