PDA

View Full Version : For Those Clamoring for TT to be active...Like the Broncos

Fritz
03-24-2007, 12:31 PM
I saw this in the Detroit Free Press from the AP, and thought it might illustrate the point that acquiring a bunch of new players is not without some potential cost.

Broncos looking to trade Pro Bowler; Lions interested
March 23, 2007

By ARNIE STAPLETON

ASSOCIATED PRESS

DENVER — Al Wilson’s new agent confirmed Thursday night that the Denver Broncos are shopping around for a trade partner but that a deal for the star middle linebacker isn’t imminent.

The NFL Network reported Thursday that talks with the New York Giants have heated up after the Detroit Lions and Philadelphia Eagles showed strong interest.

“It’s a little premature. There are a number of teams that are interested in Al — Al is a player who is definitely in high demand — but no decision has been made even whether Al will be traded,” Denver-based agent Peter Schaffer told the Associated Press. “There’s a number of moving parts. We’re just going to take it one move at a time.”

The Broncos, whose policy is not to discuss personnel matters in the offseason, could move D.J. Williams inside to replace Wilson, an eighth-year pro from Tennessee who was selected to his fifth Pro Bowl last season.

Schaffer has worked to try to facilitate a trade for Wilson, who is due $5.2 million in base salary next season, since the linebacker switched agents last week. Schaffer said he wants to make sure Wilson winds up in the best situation, whether that be in Denver or elsewhere.

“The Giants have expressed interest,” Schaffer said. “We’re exploring all options. We want to make a decision that’s best in Al’s short-term and long-term interests.”
Wilson had a team-best 113 tackles last season, including 88 solo, with five sacks, a forced fumble and six pass breakups.

A fan favorite, Wilson also is a locker room leader and elder statesman on the team. He spoke at the funerals of cornerback Darrent Williams and running back
Damien Nash this offseason, two teammates who died at age 24.

The Broncos have committed big bucks to several free agents this month and might want to free up money by dealing Wilson, a player who would command a high return.

Freak Out
03-24-2007, 01:14 PM
This is stunning. You build the D around these guys....not trade them. When is he a FA? He is the kind of guy you look to EXTEND not trade.

Patler
03-24-2007, 01:27 PM
That is what I was referring to in another thread. Denver has to reduce cap dollars to clear room for the rookie pool when it is assigned very soon. They identifed Wilson as a higher dollar player they could replace with their existing roster. Trading him is only to gain cap room.

It doesn't mater how large the salary cap is, now and then teams will run into problems staying under it.

retailguy
03-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Fritz,

Can't there be a balance between signing ONE backup safety and mortgaging the future?

Couldn't we sign 3 or 4 guys that have the "potential" to be starters?

I find it difficult to believe that those of us who have been critical of Thompson are really asking us to look like Denver.

I'm not, and I don't think Bretsky, or Harvey, or even Packnut (well maybe maybe not.... :oops: ) think that either.

In any event, Bretsky's turtle represents the state of Today's Packers whether you want to admit it or not.

Sometimes being a turtle is good. In 2009 or 2010 it might be a great thing, in 2007, it kind of sucks.

vince
03-24-2007, 03:26 PM
Fritz,

Can't there be a balance between signing ONE backup safety and mortgaging the future?

I find it difficult to believe that those of us who have been critical of Thompson are really asking us to look like Denver.

I'm not, and I don't think Bretsky, or Harvey, or even Packnut (well maybe maybe not.... :oops: ) think that either.

In any event, Bretsky's turtle represents the state of Today's Packers whether you want to admit it or not.

Sometimes being a turtle is good. In 2009 or 2010 it might be a great thing, in 2007, it kind of sucks.
You won't like it in '09 or '10 either.

Why sign guys who might have "potential" to be a starter (for more money than we are paying the ones already on the roster) when we have those people already on the roster?

Is it unfathomable to you that the coaching staff and management team believe that Underwood and Culver each have the potential to be quality DB's, for example?

Packnut
03-24-2007, 09:28 PM
Fritz,

In another thread, I stated my opinion that signing Grant (or Hamlin), Johnson and Griffith would have made us a much better team. Even signing them for a little more than they got would not have killed our cap or sacrificed the future. I never called for signing every player out there. Hey, we'll see how these guys play this season and then we'll see who was right and who was wrong.

gbpackfan
03-24-2007, 10:04 PM
With 21 Million dollars to play with, TT should have signed SOME free agents. One back-up CB doesn't cut it. TT failed in FA this offseason.

HarveyWallbangers
03-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Denver is smart. Al Wilson will be 30-years-old this year. His skills are starting to erode, but he still has value. Denver needs to get D.J. Williams on the field more, but with Wilson and Ian Gold (both 4 down LBs), they haven't be able to get Williams on the field as much as they'd like.

Unfortunately for Denver, a trade to the Giants had pretty much been made, but Wilson failed his physical. He got a neck injury last year, and the Giants doctors wouldn't pass him.

Lurker64
03-24-2007, 10:31 PM
With 21 Million dollars to play with, TT should have signed SOME free agents. One back-up CB doesn't cut it. TT failed in FA this offseason.

When the restaurant only serves hamburgers, you can't fault someone for not buying you steak.

The Leaper
03-24-2007, 10:56 PM
The fact of the matter is this...FREE AGENTS USUALLY AREN'T WORTH SHIT THESE DAYS!

Case in point...Al Wilson. He looks great, right...then you find out he fails a physical. He's damaged goods. Teams do not let good players that are worth a big deal get away. If they are free agents...then there is a pretty damn good reason their prior team let them go.

I'm fine with Thompson not running out immediately and throwing huge dollars at these guys. Invest in draft picks...and use the cap space down the road to keep the guys who pan out. Thompson can't be blamed for Sherman killing us by sleeping at the combine and striking out in 3 straight drafts (02-04) which eliminated our young stockpile of talent to build from. Now, we have to slowly build our young talent up again...so we have some guys worth investing that cap space in.

red
03-24-2007, 11:06 PM
i agree with the others

there is a middle ground between doing next to nothing and blowing all your cap space

cap space is like a pool, some teams are at the deep end jumping off the diving board and acting crazy, they could break their necks and they could drown but their having fun

we're the fat kid at the kiddie end of the pool with our toe in the water too scared to put anymore in for fear of drowning

even though responsible people can have more then enough fun in the rest of the pool without much risk to their lives

myself and others are not saying we should go do backflips off the 15 foot high board. we're just saying lets jump in and swing around a little. maybe go splash some watter on the good looking girls

red
03-24-2007, 11:09 PM

When the restaurant only serves hamburgers, you can't fault someone for not buying you steak.

no, theres not just steak or hamburgers on the menu

theres all kinds of things in between

not all free agents are overpaid, not all free agents are going to be busts, not all free agents have been busts

so the free agent market is weak, so what

we, we don't need great, we need upgrades. and there were upgrade options out there that did NOT break the bank, and would not have hurt our future cap situation

esoxx
03-24-2007, 11:10 PM
The fact of the matter is this...FREE AGENTS USUALLY AREN'T WORTH SHIT THESE DAYS!

Case in point...Al Wilson. He looks great, right...then you find out he fails a physical. He's damaged goods.

Other than the fact he's not a free agent I might agree with you.