PDA

View Full Version : WTF Houston retains Leach?

Tony Oday
03-24-2007, 02:30 PM
The Texans had until Monday to match the four-year offer sheet, which is worth a total of $8 million and includes $1.6 million in guarantees.

Thats a lot of money for a FB that cant play....

prsnfoto
03-24-2007, 03:14 PM
The Texans had until Monday to match the four-year offer sheet, which is worth a total of $8 million and includes $1.6 million in guarantees.

Thats a lot of money for a FB that cant play....

Sherman has always thought his guys were worth more than they were.Hunt,KGB,Washington,Reynolds Sanders,etc. :D :D :D :D

Patler
03-24-2007, 03:47 PM
I'm confused.
Did you see somewhere that they ARE matching the offer? I can't find it even on their website.

Cobra Kai
03-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Apparently the Texans are just as smitten with Leach as the Giants were...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2809981

That's a lot of dough for a FB that can't catch and split time last season with Jameel Cook!!!

Bretsky
03-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Everybody has money; it's a good time to be a free agent.

Justin Griffin was a huge huge bargain for the Raiders in comparison with other fullbacks that have been signed in free agency. He'd have been a great fit in Green Bay

billy_oliver880
03-25-2007, 05:00 PM
Who the heck are they getting their intel from in Houston??? :shock:

motife
03-25-2007, 05:13 PM
hey.. I thought we stopped running the U-71 jumbo package.

RashanGary
03-25-2007, 06:06 PM
I think I can speak for most people here when I say that we really dont' know very much about other teams rosters as a whole.

So let's look at the signings this UFA that we do have substantial insider knowledge about. Let's look at Ahman Green and Vonta Leach. These guys both were grossly overpaid. One is a bad football player and the other is good but nothing special any more.

It's fast becoming common knowledge that UFA is overpriced. Teams have their backs against the walls and make moves in desperation and drive prices up. We might say "Well, just because our two UFAs got grossly overpaid doesn't mean that the other guys are" Well, go ask and Atlanta fan what they think of Griffin. Go ask a Buffalo fan if Clements is worth that jack. There is a reason these guys are on the UFA market and it's becuase the teams who have the most inside knowledge are not willing to resign them for the going rate or even below the gowing rate a year eary.

Every passing day makes me realize how bad the players on this UFA market are, the negative effect they will have on the lockeroom and future caps and how glad I am to have TT as our GM.

Rastak
03-25-2007, 06:52 PM
I think I can speak for most people here when I say that we really dont' know very much about other teams rosters as a whole.

So let's look at the signings this UFA that we do have substantial insider knowledge about. Let's look at Ahman Green and Vonta Leach. These guys both were grossly overpaid. One is a bad football player and the other is good but nothing special any more.

It's fast becoming common knowledge that UFA is overpriced. Teams have their backs against the walls and make moves in desperation and drive prices up. We might say "Well, just because our two UFAs got grossly overpaid doesn't mean that the other guys are" Well, go ask and Atlanta fan what they think of Griffin. Go ask a Buffalo fan if Clements is worth that jack. There is a reason these guys are on the UFA market and it's becuase the teams who have the most inside knowledge are not willing to resign them for the going rate or even below the gowing rate a year eary.

Every passing day makes me realize how bad the players on this UFA market are, the negative effect they will have on the lockeroom and future caps and how glad I am to have TT as our GM.

Thing is Greg, these contracts set the market for the guys on your own team you resign. So while TT can certainly "sit this one out" when he starts talking to Barnett and others, he's definately affected. The lockerroom is affected even if they didn't spend big on an UFA. It's not just the Packers I'm talking about either, it's pretty much everybody.

Joemailman
03-25-2007, 07:03 PM

Justin Griffin was a huge huge bargain for the Raiders in comparison with other fullbacks that have been signed in free agency. He'd have been a great fit in Green Bay

Still looking for a new avatar?

http://www.bear-tracker.com/pondturtle1.jpg

MJZiggy
03-25-2007, 07:09 PM

Thing is Greg, these contracts set the market for the guys on your own team you resign. So while TT can certainly "sit this one out" when he starts talking to Barnett and others, he's definately affected. The lockerroom is affected even if they didn't spend big on an UFA. It's not just the Packers I'm talking about either, it's pretty much everybody.

And that's fine if it affects Barnett's contract. He's a good player and worth more than another team's castoff in most cases. This is what TT's been talking about. Draft well and reward those players on your roster that perform well. Maybe Green hit the market in the first place because TT had doubts about his performance? Yes, big contracts escalate prices, but performing players already on the roster are likely worth the cash.

Bretsky
03-25-2007, 07:26 PM

Still looking for a new avatar?

http://www.bear-tracker.com/pondturtle1.jpg

Like it.

anybody know how to resize it ?

MJZiggy
03-25-2007, 07:55 PM
Gotcha covered.

RashanGary
03-26-2007, 06:00 AM
I agree Zig.. Barnett is worht quite a bit and he knows it but he also knows that we have the franchise tag and he knows what is happening with Briggs.

Teams DO have leverage with their own FAs and agents know that. Barnett will not get UFA going rate. He will get RFA going rate and that is the advantage to drafting well.

CaliforniaCheez
03-26-2007, 11:41 AM
To quote Greg Seminoff, "Indecision is the key to flexibility"

Since the vikings are always a good example of what not to do, what if they had not spent huge money on a back up TE and spent so much to bring Bobby Wade to his 3rd team in 5 years?

They would still have the money to put together a good offer to David Carr.
David Carr would help them far more than the guys they wasted their cap dollars.

Ted Thompson will have the cap muscle to act on good deals that come along by not wasting the money on some loser from another team and having flexibility.