PDA

View Full Version : HAS THE WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY CLOSED ??

Bretsky
03-25-2007, 12:46 PM
Sports nuts often discuss windows of opportunity in which a team might have a shot to win a Super Bowl title within a certain time frame.

I'm listening to Packer sports talk right now. They discussed that they felt GB had a window of opportunity to win a Super Bowl Title in while Brett Favre is still playing.

They argued there would be a transition time post Favre of at least two years that could go much longer in which Green Bay would be more challenged to win it all.

I'm curious as to several things and will pose them as questions; those who know me probably know how I use to feel on this so I'll wait a bit before posting my thoughts.

1. Has the Window of Opportunity for Favre to lead this team to a Super Bowl Title Closed ?

2. If it has, is it because Favre's play is no longer good enough, or because the talent necessary to win the Super Bowl is just too far away.

3. How would Ted Thompson answer the first question. And please don't give the politically correct answer. How would he view the first question ?

4. And how does TT's feelings to answer #1 effect how he is approaching free agency, trades, and the draft ?

Looking forward to viewing the responses

ND72
03-25-2007, 12:58 PM
1. Has the Window of Opportunity for Favre to lead this team to a Super Bowl Title Closed ?
Yes. It closed after we lost in Philly..(4th and 26)

2. If it has, is it because Favre's play is no longer good enough, or because the talent necessary to win the Super Bowl is just too far away.
Both. we are rebuilding with a vetran still in place. if we were truly rebuilding, favre should have left, or we should have traded him at least 1 year ago to truly rebuild. cause when he leaves, we'll be back where we were last offseason. Favre can still play, but he thinks he has to be the man, instead of just playing like he did in 1996.

3. How would Ted Thompson answer the first question. And please don't give the politically correct answer. How would he view the first question ?
Ted Thompson has always been one to say there is no "window", it's all year by year.

4. And how does TT's feelings to answer #1 effect how he is approaching free agency, trades, and the draft ?

I think all his actions in free agency show that he is "rebuilding". If he thought we were in position to make a run, he might have been more aggressive in free agents to add some vetran depth. Ron wolfe started with the draft, and then when appropriate, he went after FA guys. We're not yet to the point where we go after vetrans. we need to keep building who the Packers are.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-25-2007, 01:03 PM
To be honest I think were about five players away. A TE, WR, DT, LB, and a safety. FAVRE IS 100% NOT THE REASON WE ARE NOT CONTENDERS. If Favre comes back next year then I think with this draft and another, those positions will be filled. The problem is if Favre does come back next year then that will most likely be his last year and he will only have one year to try and win it all. If next year is not Favre’s last year then were going to have problems with Rodgers because he doesn't want to sit his whole career.

That leads me to TT. I don't think TT feels that our window of opportunity with Favre is closed, but I don't think he thinks were that close to being a super bowl team either. If he was sure that we were only one or two players away, you would have seen him a lot more active in free agency early on. Right now he's just building the team the way he likes and once he sees that the team is close to be contenders he will make some moves in free agency.

The question of whether TT thinks the window of opportunity is closed will be answered if he makes the Moss trade. If he's willing to give a high pick for a 30 year old WR then he must think this team can do something.

RashanGary
03-25-2007, 01:08 PM
Nice Post ND,

I pretty much agree with everything except the #4 wich stated that TT is "rebuilding" I htink he is more or less just doing what is best with each individual decision and it is happening to be a rebuilding process but he's not setting out to "rebuild".

He's just making the best team possible and tearing down the junk Sherman built is the way he believes that will be accomplished.

RashanGary
03-25-2007, 01:10 PM
Good thread BTW Bretsky....

As far as the window is concerned; I think it's closed. Anything could happen but I would be very, very surprised if Favre won another SB wih the Packers. There is just way too much that would have to happne and it takes time, something that Favre no longer has.

MadtownPacker
03-25-2007, 01:15 PM

Not at all. Recent history has shown that a team can go from bottom of the barrel to cream of the crop in one season. The offense is only a RB and Moss away from being scary. The defense is only in need of a safety. The team is young and gaining expierence with each game.

Favre is more then good enough (still top 5 IMO). The talent is not there yet but is not far off.

If TT felt that way he would have ran Favre off like many believe he is trying to do. Instead he saw the weaknesses on the team and wasnt scared to knock down the old house and build a new one with a solid foundation. With a young OL that gelled towards the end of last season Favre could play two more years easily.

He is playing it smart. Instead of expecting instant gratification like a dope fiend or the majority of inpatient, crybaby, whining, and sniveling fans TT is making sure the team is not being set up for just a 2 or 3 year run at a title. Instead he is looking out for the long term success of the franchise that will need a strong core once it's HOF QB walks off into the sunset.

red
03-25-2007, 01:16 PM
favre isn't the player he was so he needs a lot more talent around him if we are to be contenders

but we are a ways away from having that kind talent

i agree with ND that 4th and 26 was when the window got shut. from there the talents been going down hill around brett

TT could have cracked the window open a bit and given us a chance, but he's decided to keep the favre window closed in the hope that a new window will be open down the road. the only question is how many years will we have to wait for a new window to be open, and if we do worse then 8-8 next year will TT even be around to see a window reopen, or will he have suffocated himself

Bretsky
03-25-2007, 02:26 PM
TT could have cracked the window open a bit and given us a chance, but he's decided to keep the favre window closed in the hope that a new window will be open down the road. the only question is how many years will we have to wait for a new window to be open, and if we do worse then 8-8 next year will TT even be around to see a window reopen, or will he have suffocated himself

Interesting comments Red, and ones that I'd agree with. Another thing I'd think would come out is several feel the window has been closed, and that group will be much more patient with TT. And those who strongly feel the window was open will be the least patient with TT.

Bretsky
03-25-2007, 02:28 PM

As far as the window is concerned; I think it's closed. Anything could happen but I would be very, very surprised if Favre won another SB wih the Packers. There is just way too much that would have to happne and it takes time, something that Favre no longer has.

Thank you.

There have been some repeated topics as of late and the anti TT versus pro TT is getting too common so I'm hoping this thread can bring out some new juice.

Tarlam!
03-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Bretsky, when you stop being such an anti TT piheaded retard Tank impersonation, I might become a regular poster. I been reading your rants and man, you need to start smoking something.

Get your head outta your arse and be sensible.

Just thought I'd stop bye and and say "hey"

8-)

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Bretsky
03-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Bretsky, when you stop being such an anti TT piheaded retard Tank impersonation, I might become a regular poster. I been reading your rants and man, you need to start smoking something.

Get your head outta your arse and be sensible.

Just thought I'd stop bye and and say "hey"

8-)

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Never smoked in my life; maybe I need to start :mrgreen:

Nice to see ya; wish you'd stop by more and try to throw some arguments back at me :wink:

Have a good rest of the weekend,
B

Tarlam!
03-25-2007, 02:48 PM
Nice to talk to you, too.

TT is doing fine. He is just not doining it the "Bretsky/Wolf" way, cause, aint no underrated QBs stashed in Atlanta no more, and Reggie was a one off. I like having cash in the bank.

You being a banker, you MUST know what a buck today is worth.

Show TT a BF in hiding or a RW in the open. Don't bore me with has been's and never will be's. TT is running the club better that I would, and I am a mean fucker - just ask my department.

BallHawk
03-25-2007, 03:12 PM

I agree that "our time" was the year of 4th and 26. That was when we had the defense and offense needed to win it. However, the house of cards came tumbling down after that. We are close, yet far at the same time. The way this draft turns out will tell us if the window is close or not. Our defense, IMO, with the addition of one key player, is no worse than the Colts and look what they did. Our offense is what is holding us back. The O-Line will improve, but the backfield is a concern, as is the WR. If we can get Moss, we are one step closer. However, there is still a lot that needs to go right. The window is ajar, let's put it at that.

Favre, without a doubt, could lead any team to the Super Bowl if he had the talent around him. Even Peyton Manning isn't going to win a Super Bowl if he's throwing to "The Fraud" and David Martin. Favre needs better talent, without a doubt. Whether that talent is far away or closer than we may think, we'll have to see.

Ted would say that we have a nucleus of young players and older players and that, if everything falls into place, can compete for a Championship.

A common assumption is that since TT isn't going Dan Snyder on everyone's ass and throwing money at over-the-hill vets, he is rebuilding. That's a foolish assumption to make. TT cherishes his money, yes, but he is a cautious and reasonable man. He thinks about his decisions as much as anyone, as I think his scouting department does. He is doing what good teams do and that is building through the draft. I think he will approach this draft with a "see what happens" attitude. If Reggie Nelson or Marshawn Lynch is there at #16, I guarantee you he will be on the phones trying to swindle a deal. He's that type of person. He waits to see what happens and assesses the situation and acts as he sees just. I think we will see Ted pull off a few trades on draft day, whether one of those is for Michael Turner or Randy Moss, I cannot say. Bottomline, on draft day TT will be preparing for the near future, with the present in mind.

HarveyWallbangers
03-25-2007, 03:33 PM
Nice to talk to you, too.

Where ya been?

gbgary
03-25-2007, 03:34 PM
i think the window closed when wolf left but i'll keep renewing my season ticket subscription and coming up for a game every couple of years. the green and gold runs too thick in my veins to stop.

motife
03-25-2007, 04:42 PM
John Elway's "window of opportunity" had long passed when he (actually, Terrell Davis) won 2 back to back Super Bowls.

On another note, and another board, they say Ted Thompson is so happy with the results of "passing" on free agency, he's thinking of doing the same thing with draft. Whenever Green Bay's pick comes up "passing". "Think of the cap savings," they said.

red
03-25-2007, 05:13 PM
John Elway's "window of opportunity" had long passed when he (actually, Terrell Davis) won 2 back to back Super Bowls.

don't even bring up that asshole cheats name when campairing to favre

elways window was shut until he and davis cheated. they both "redid" their contracts frreing up cap room and allowing the broncos to go out and get the pieces they were missing to get them over the hump (through free agency i believe). the problem is the money they gave up was still paid to them, just outside of the football world. which is against the rules, and cheating

the broncos did lose draft picks because of this

BooHoo
03-25-2007, 05:29 PM
We did not have enough players around Brett to make a run. He is still good enough for a real run at the playoffs but the talent base has been lacking.

I don't think this next year will be much better than last. We barely made 8-8 and maybe we were given a few games. We should have been 6-10. I am usually a postive upbeat person but I can't see a real run for the team this coming year. 8-8 would be a good record.

Sure New Orleans went from rags to riches in one year. But look at what they did in the off season and they had very high draft picks. We can not compare our off season to that of New Orleans.

In any case, we ARE headed in the right direction.

The Shadow
03-25-2007, 05:38 PM

Both. we are rebuilding with a vetran still in place. if we were truly rebuilding, favre should have left, or we should have traded him at least 1 year ago to truly rebuild. cause when he leaves, we'll be back where we were last offseason. Favre can still play, but he thinks he has to be the man, instead of just playing like he did in 1996.

Ted Thompson has always been one to say there is no "window", it's all year by year.

I think all his actions in free agency show that he is "rebuilding". If he thought we were in position to make a run, he might have been more aggressive in free agents to add some vetran depth. Ron wolfe started with the draft, and then when appropriate, he went after FA guys. We're not yet to the point where we go after vetrans. we need to keep building who the Packers are.

Very nicely expressed.

GrnBay007
03-25-2007, 05:55 PM

When one window closes, another opens. This one is just not quite as fancy as the other one at this point....but has potential. :idea:

MJZiggy
03-25-2007, 06:07 PM

I think the only teams who don't have the window open are the Cardinals and kitties. Any given Sunday, remember. Also, now that I'm thinking about it, everyone assumes that once Favre is done, the window automatically closes. Good thing you guys aren't friends with Steve Young. You'd have talked him right out of winning because of course you can't come in after a HOF quarterback and expect to get the job done. Just because someone follows a great QB doesn't mean he can't be great too.

I think Favre can still play with anyone in the league. I think we just need a couple threats is all. it will be interesting to see what happens to the running game and what happens with a healthy Jennings and maybe one more receiver to stretch the field. I won't even put it on Turner and Moss. Anyone who can step up and stretch the field and any RB who can churn out more than 3.33 yards a play will do.

Didn't he publicly say he doesn't believe in windows? (must use a Mac) If he believed that Favre could no longer get it done, then he'd never have encouraged him to come back.

It means he's gonna do what is necessary to build the strongest team he can field for the longest amount of time possible, with players that he believes in whether the fans believe in them or not.

Joemailman
03-25-2007, 06:59 PM

Thank you.

There have been some repeated topics as of late and the anti TT versus pro TT is getting too common so I'm hoping this thread can bring out some new juice.

Edit: Never mind

gbgary
03-25-2007, 07:31 PM
On another note, and another board, they say Ted Thompson is so happy with the results of "passing" on free agency, he's thinking of doing the same thing with draft. Whenever Green Bay's pick comes up "passing". "Think of the cap savings," they said.

http://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2/images/smilies/smiley23[1].gif

MadScientist
03-26-2007, 01:49 PM

If Favre only plays this year, then yes, if he stays for a couple more, then perhaps not.

Favre is not what he was, but he could still do it, if there was enough talent, he could still win it all.

Windows open and close all the time. TT won't, and should never, say the window is closed for this year. His job is to open it and keep it open for as long as possible.

If he thought there was a really good chance this year, he might overpay for some depth to protect against injury, but I doubt he'd change much.

Without doing anything, the Pack should improve at:
DL - Jenkins > KGB on early downs
LB - BP and Hawk should improve
S - Underwood back, and they can't really be any worse
OL-Middle - more experience, better strength conditioning

If the draft (or trades) can bring a RB, TE, and a deep threat WR, the window may open a tiny bit this year. Add in some raw talent for CB and OT for the future will help it open more next year.

swede
03-26-2007, 02:33 PM
I haven't really read other responses yet. I'll look at them after I post this.

No, but it is closing quickly. In order to get two or even three more years out of Brett all the stars have to align in such a way that he (in order of importance) a) is having fun; b) feels that the long-term emotional health of his family isn't being compromised by his continuing to play; and c) the team continues to improve, allowing him to have fun (see "a" above).

It's more the latter than the former. Brett at 40 will probably be the best 40 year old quarterback to ever have played the game. But the talent on the team has to catch up and surpass Brett, ESPECIALLY on the defensive side of the ball. If the talent around him doesn't reach an elite level by the beginning of the 2008 season the sound you hear will be of a tractor starting up somewhere in Southern Mississippi.

I think Ted wants to be GM of this team for a long time. He has a plan for building a team through the draft and with wise cap management. If Brett is here when the talent level reaches critical mass that would be great. If not, TT keeps putting pieces together in a deliberate way according to his plan. After all, about 16 Brett-less teams have been to the Super Bowl since 1997. Somewhere around 2008 or 2009 we will become just another Brett-less team with continuing Super Bowl aspirations. Our chances to win another Super Bowl go up as the OVERALL talent level increases. Those of us who love this team, including TT, are hoping to have it all come together while Brett is still with us. But the peak of young and veteran talent may hit its zenith a year or two past Brett's time with us. TT believes that he cannot sacrifice the plan for one player.

He sticks to his plan because he cares. He just doesn't care what YOU think.