PDA

View Full Version : Jason Hunter- Future Prospect

Bretsky
03-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Catching Up With: Jason Hunter

posted 03/22/2007

Jason Hunter was considered a long shot to make the Packers roster after signing with the Pack as a non-drafted free agent last May. Hunter proved his doubters wrong by not only being a part of the final 53, but becoming a valuable special teams player and reserve defensive end for the Green and Gold in 2006.

Having always had a knack for coming up with a big play in college, the former Appalachian State Mountaineer demonstrated his big-play ability by recovering the Packers only onside kick of the 2006 season against the New York Jets.

After completing his rookie campaign, Hunter now is poised to not only be a part of the squad in 2007, but to make an impact at the defensive end position.

Packers.com recently sat down with the pass rusher to see if he could sack some of our random questions.

Packers.comWhat have you been doing to stay busy in the offseason?
Hunter:For the offseason I spent my time in Charlotte, N.C. with my family. I was able to see a lot of friends that I wasn't able to see during the season.

Did you eat some North Carolina Bar-B-Que when you were back home?
Oh definitely! You've got to get some BBQ when you're back in Carolina!

What is it like to be away from your friends and family for such a long time during the season and then get a lot of time off in the offseason to get reacquainted with them?
It's different because you're in your football world for such a long time and you're working really hard, then you go home and try and catch up with all your friends. It's good to go home and get to show off a little bit...but not too much though!

Did you have a rooting interest in the Super Bowl this year?
It was good to see the Bears in the Super Bowl, just because they were representing the NFC North, but I really wasn't cheering for any particular team.

What went through your mind when you saw the Colts hold up the Vince Lombardi Trophy?
I feel like that could have been us up there. I asked myself, "Why not us?" Hopefully next year, all our hardwork will pay off and we'll hold up that trophy too.

If you could sum up Packers fans in one word, what would it be?
I would definitely use the word passionate! They love being a fan and they make gameday a great atmosphere for everyone to enjoy!

Who are your favorite athletes outside of football?
Oh, M.J. man! Michael Jordan. That's my man! I also like Iverson and a lot of NBA guys. I'm a big fans of theirs. I also have a lot of respect for female athletes too, such as Mia Hamm, because you can see the type of work ethic she has when she is out on the field.

When did you start training for this upcoming season?
When I got back to Green Bay on March 19 and started working out. That's the start of my campaign looking forward to next season.

What is the best vacation you've ever taken?
In 1995 I went to the Bahamas with my parents! That's the best vacation I have ever been on. Everything we did was perfect!

How would you rate your personal performance last year and what do you think you need to improve on this upcoming season?
Last year was my first NFL season and it was a lot to grasp. I was coming along the entire season, but I felt that I was able to soak up as much as I could. I still feel that there are many things I need to learn to be an effective player, but once I feel like I learn the things that come with being a veteran, I can be the best player I can be.

What kind of tux did you wear to your Senior Prom?
I wore an all white tux! White shoes, white everything!

Looking back on that prom, do you still think you were as cool as you thought you were at the time?
Oh yeah! Definitely! I was probably cooler back then than I am now!

When did you know that you could have the opportunity to play football at a high level?
Probably my senior year in college, but you never know your full potential until you get to this level. Once I made the team last year is probably when I fully realized that I could play in this league.

LL2
03-26-2007, 08:43 AM
This guy showed flashes of potential last preseason, and it’s the reason they kept him. If they did release KGB Hunter could become the situational pass rusher. If I remember correctly he has a fast burst around the corner, but needed to bulk up to go against NFL O-linemen.

SkinBasket
03-26-2007, 02:36 PM
This guy showed flashes of potential last preseason, and it’s the reason they kept him. If they did release KGB Hunter could become the situational pass rusher. If I remember correctly he has a fast burst around the corner, but needed to bulk up to go against NFL O-linemen.

That and he sucked.