PDA

View Full Version : Explains why Green bay passed on FA WRs

privatepacker
03-26-2007, 09:14 AM
This is from Green Bay Updates, and explains why we didn't go after any WRs in FA. It appears that TT will not go after another WR in the early rounds either.

March 26, 2007
Pack expects big things from Jennings

Even though the Packers desperately need to add talent at wide receiver, GM Ted Thompson has made virtually no attempt to upgrade the position through free agency. That’s because both the front office and the coaching staff firmly believe that Greg Jennings is already a better player than any of the veterans that were on the market. “Thompson viewed guys like Drew Bennett, Donte’ Stallworth and Kevin Curtis as No. 3 receivers in Green Bay, and he wasn’t going to pay $30 million for a backup,” said a person close to the situation. “That’s how much he believes in Jennings.” Last year’s second-round draft choice caught 45 passes for 632 yards and 3 touchdowns in 2006. And while the former Western Michigan star struggled down the stretch, he still posted some pretty impressive overall numbers for a rookie - especially one coming from the MAC. “I thought he looked like a future star in September and October,” said a former scout. “The ankle injury slowed him down late in the season, but I don’t think any less of him. He’s going to be really good.”

Thompson feels very comfortable with Jennings and Donald Driver as his starters in 2007, but that won’t be enough. And while youngsters Ruvell Martin and Carlyle Holiday showed potential late last season, neither can be counted on to fill the No. 3 role. The same holds true for embattled vets Robert Ferguson and Koren Robinson. So what’s the solution? “I expect a new wave of experienced and proven receivers to hit the market in May and June,” said the scout. “The kind of players who won’t cost $30 million, but can come in and make a positive contribution.” (Justin McCareins of the Jets was mentioned as a possibility). Another way to fill the void would be via next month's draft. This is considered to be a pretty deep year for receivers. “I think Thompson’s preference would be to bring in a veteran," added the scout, "but Driver just celebrated his 32nd birthday, so there’s certainly no harm in stockpiling quality youngsters.”

And how can any conversation about potential acquisitions at wide receiver be complete without mentioning a certain ex-Viking with a proclivity for mooning the Lambeau faithful? “I have no idea whether a trade for [Randy] Moss will actually happen," admitted the scout. "And even if it does, I'm not so sure that he’d put up better numbers than Jennings in this offense.” That’s both an indictment of Moss - an aging player who avoids the middle of the field at all costs - and a tribute to Jennings. “He’s a talented young player who seems to fit this offense to perfection,” added the scout. “He has a chance to make the jump from impressive rookie to standout sophomore.” And in an offseason of relative inactivity, that would be sweet music to the ears of any diehard Packers fan.

Posted at 12:12 AM | Permalink | Comments (0)

HarveyWallbangers
03-26-2007, 09:43 AM
I believe in Jennings also, but if you aren't going to have a great TE or great RBs, you better have three good WRs. Otherwise, the team will lack playmakers. I think they have some young guys that could be serviceable, but I don't think any project to being playmakers. They need more than Driver and possibly Jennings in the redzone. That killed them last year.

mmmdk
03-26-2007, 11:18 AM
That's the trouble with the Packers offense; who will score TDs in the red zone??? DD & Jennings will be good for some big plays but they're both not huge targets in the red zone. Same goes for RBs...who will score? The TEs are in shambles but Packers have an improving O-line and that's something to reckon with...you do need playmakers though. My TT-ish uncut gem is WR Holiday but he's still a long shot.

This is TTs team now and with Favre back - how will the Packers offense perform? I don't see enough talent on offense, within the team, that I'd predict an improvement (on offense). TT believes he'll strike gold in the draft and he's infatuated with finding diamonds in the rough...of the streets or in his backyard or something.

Guiness
03-26-2007, 11:29 AM
As far as red zone threats, the hope has to be that Bubba just wasn't fully recovered last year. Him returning to his former form inside the 10yd line would be a huge boost.

A lot of posters were down on him last year, but I don't see a reason it wasn't just an off year.

HarveyWallbangers
03-26-2007, 11:41 AM
As far as red zone threats, the hope has to be that Bubba just wasn't fully recovered last year. Him returning to his former form inside the 10yd line would be a huge boost.

A lot of posters were down on him last year, but I don't see a reason it wasn't just an off year.

Well, he's been off his game for 2 years (since he got the new contract). He missed 6 games in 2005, but he only scored 1 TD in the 10 games he did play. 0 TDs last year. Bubba is 29-years-old, and never had great speed. I think we've seen the best of his days.

woodbuck27
03-27-2007, 01:36 PM
DAM it !

I hate all these ego driven responses, to answer any query that may arise on team personnel decisions.

Then if there is failure. The ole ''well we didn't forsee that'' response?

Good decision making should also provide, or make provision for a backup plan; or Plan B for Plan A, if Plan A is failing.