PDA

View Full Version : Teddy Gets An Extra 7th Round Pick

HarveyWallbangers
03-26-2007, 07:15 PM
I'm surprised, and happy we got a compensatory pick.

Packers receive extra seventh-round pick

Phoenix - The National Football League has awarded the Green Bay Packers a seventh-round compensatory draft pick for its free agent losses last season.

A total of 16 clubs received 32 compensatory picks, which are based on a formula that calculates a team's net loss in free agency the previous year. The formula takes into account salary, playing time and post-season honors in measuring a team's gains and losses in free agency.

The league counted the Packers' losses at center Mike Flanagan, linebacker Paris Lenon, kicker Ryan Longwell and quarterback Craig Nall. Their gains were safety Marquand Manuel, defensive tackle Ryan Pickett and cornerback Charles Woodson.

The Packers shouldn't have a complaint this year given all three of the players they signed received fairly lucrative deals and started the entire season. Flanagan (Houston) and Lenon (Detroit) started for their respective teams, and Longwell, who received the richest contract for a kicker at the time he signed, was a special teams regular.

The compensatory pick the Packers received is No. 33 in the seventh round, 243rd overall. The Packers now have nine selections, one in each of the first six rounds and three in the seventh.

CaliforniaCheez
03-26-2007, 07:19 PM
Are you suggesting that the Packers have 3 seventh round picks and there is no need to trade down into the seventh round???

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Last pick in round 7 = undrafted free agent

GBRulz
03-26-2007, 07:29 PM
TT is getting rewarded for doing nothing in FA ! :twisted:

HarveyWallbangers
03-26-2007, 07:46 PM

Well, it's not the last pick. Other teams received later picks. Actually, it appears we got the best compensatory pick available in that round. Also, undrafted FAs get to choose where they want to sign. Scott Wells, Mark Tauscher, and Donald Driver were 7th round picks, so I like getting these extra picks.

MadtownPacker
03-26-2007, 07:51 PM
He is gonna use it on the next Marques Colston!!

oregonpackfan
03-26-2007, 08:10 PM

Well, it's not the last pick. Other teams received later picks. Actually, it appears we got the best compensatory pick available in that round. Also, undrafted FAs get to choose where they want to sign. Scott Wells, Mark Tauscher, and Donald Driver were 7th round picks, so I like getting these extra picks.

Excellent point, Harvey!

One never knows when a 7th round pick is going to be a keeper.

MJZiggy
03-26-2007, 08:22 PM

Think TT can find him??

Guiness
03-26-2007, 08:55 PM
How the heck did we end up with a pick? Oh well :D

Seventh round picks are not throwaways. Obviously, not the success rate, but it's another guy you can bring into camp. UFA's can get 3 or 4 calls, and choose which they want to accept.

Bretsky
03-26-2007, 08:58 PM
How the heck did we end up with a pick? Oh well :D

Seventh round picks are not throwaways. Obviously, not the success rate, but it's another guy you can bring into camp. UFA's can get 3 or 4 calls, and choose which they want to accept.

In today's day and age, if you have a few hopefully you can hit on a couple.
We surely have enough holes to fill.

packrulz
03-27-2007, 05:37 AM
Nine picks is pretty good, I doubt TT will be trading down much this year. The Broncos got Bell as an undrafted FA and Colston was a 7th round pick so there should still be some good players there in the 7th round.

mmmdk
03-27-2007, 08:24 AM

Think TT can find him??

TT is running to the bank with this extra 7th pick...YARUUU...another diamond in the rough. This time, this time I'll strike it rich.

It's what TT is banking on (finding uncut gems) - so far...through the draft ZILCH RESULT.

mmmdk
03-27-2007, 08:27 AM

Think TT can find him??

TT is running to the bank with this extra 7th pick...YARUUU...another diamond in the rough. This time, this time I'll strike it rich.

It's what TT is banking on (finding uncut gems) - so far...through the draft ZILCH RESULT.

Oh, it's not that TT is not right about gems in draft - TT just ain't finding them. A Colston & Norwood would be nice this upcoming draft. Ya think TT will get lucky? Well, do ya?

BooHoo
03-27-2007, 09:27 AM
I can't believe they gave us a comp pick! Oh well, we will take it.

I am in favor of drafting a future pro-bowler. Anyone with me?

mmmdk
03-27-2007, 11:03 AM
I can't believe they gave us a comp pick! Oh well, we will take it.

I am in favor of drafting a future pro-bowler. Anyone with me?

Well...ok then! :lol: