PDA

View Full Version : KIFFIN FULL OF BS: Moss likely to remain with Raiders

gbpackfan
03-27-2007, 01:16 PM
Kiffin: Moss likely to remain with Raiders
Phoenix - Oakland Raiders coach Lane Kiffin said Tuesday that he doubted that wide receiver Randy Moss would be traded.

"I think he'll be on our team," Kiffin said. "I do."

Speaking during the AFC coaches' morning media session at the annual NFL owners meetings, the first-year Raiders coach said that he had a cordial telephone conversation with Moss when he was first hired and isn't at odds with the tempermental receiver. There were reports that Moss cursed out Kiffin during the phone call and told him he wasn't interested in playing for a 31-year-old coach.

Kiffin said that wasn't the case.

"I called Randy Moss the day after I got hired on the phone, spoke with Randy," Kiffin said. "Randy was good. No insults. Nothing. We had a conversation that lasted 15 minutes, I got to know him a little bit. I talked about our offense, my belief in the position and what that position means to an offense. That was the extent of our discussion."

Asked why there has been so much media speculation about Moss being traded to the Green Bay Packers, Kiffin claimed ignorance.

"I don't know that," Kiffin said. "You probably know more than me about that. I don't know why there is so much written about it. I've never had a conversation with Randy about trading him."

Even though Kiffin was confident of Moss' return, the possibility still exists he'll be traded or released. He has a $10 million salary this season and the Raiders probably would have to restructure his contract so they would have enough salary cap room to sign their draft choices.

The Raiders have the first pick in the draft and if they select Georgia Tech receiver Calvin Johnson, they might cut ties with Moss.

Don't read ANYTHING into this! This is PC bullshit. We'll see what happens on draft day.

Rastak
03-27-2007, 01:26 PM
Kiffin: Moss likely to remain with Raiders
Phoenix - Oakland Raiders coach Lane Kiffin said Tuesday that he doubted that wide receiver Randy Moss would be traded.

"I think he'll be on our team," Kiffin said. "I do."

Speaking during the AFC coaches' morning media session at the annual NFL owners meetings, the first-year Raiders coach said that he had a cordial telephone conversation with Moss when he was first hired and isn't at odds with the tempermental receiver. There were reports that Moss cursed out Kiffin during the phone call and told him he wasn't interested in playing for a 31-year-old coach.

Kiffin said that wasn't the case.

"I called Randy Moss the day after I got hired on the phone, spoke with Randy," Kiffin said. "Randy was good. No insults. Nothing. We had a conversation that lasted 15 minutes, I got to know him a little bit. I talked about our offense, my belief in the position and what that position means to an offense. That was the extent of our discussion."

Asked why there has been so much media speculation about Moss being traded to the Green Bay Packers, Kiffin claimed ignorance.

"I don't know that," Kiffin said. "You probably know more than me about that. I don't know why there is so much written about it. I've never had a conversation with Randy about trading him."

Even though Kiffin was confident of Moss' return, the possibility still exists he'll be traded or released. He has a $10 million salary this season and the Raiders probably would have to restructure his contract so they would have enough salary cap room to sign their draft choices.

The Raiders have the first pick in the draft and if they select Georgia Tech receiver Calvin Johnson, they might cut ties with Moss.

Don't read ANYTHING into this! This is PC bullshit. We'll see what happens on draft day.

They'd be idiots not to draft a QB. That doesn't mean they still wouldn't deal Moss. If I got Russell and I were the Raiders, I think I'd just keep him (Moss) for one more year if I couldn't get at the very minimum a #2 for him.

woodbuck27
03-27-2007, 01:48 PM
I believe the real deal with Moss continuing on in Oakland comes down to return for investment.

His reneumeration has outstepped his production.

Oakland will cut ties with Moss if anyone steps up and takes his career on.

CaliforniaCheez
03-27-2007, 01:54 PM
How about a link or cite of the source article?

The vikings absorbed the signing bonus portion of the contract.

Is Randy Moss worth 9.75 million dollars to the Raiders this season??
They sure weren't going to spend money on a guy like Bobby Wade.

The cost of keeping Moss is expensive but so is finding a replecement.
How hard will Moss work???

If cut in may be just before the season opener.
Trade value? On draft day?? Not determined until the draft is underway.
Before the season or during?? dependent upon a team with an injury situation.

He stays in Oakland most likely.

Green Bud Packer
03-27-2007, 01:55 PM
so the news out of arizona is that rodgers will be a packer and moss will be a raider.kiss of death ,maybe?

MadtownPacker
03-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Who is Kiffin?

Al Davis new puppet that's who.

Im really liking the news that the raiders dont have enough dough to pony up for all the draft picks and moss without him restructuring his contract. No way in hell is he gonna do that.

Man, draft day is gonna be crazy!

gbpackfan
03-27-2007, 02:20 PM

How about you be thankful that someone else did your research for you. If you want the source, find the article yourself. Otherwise, I guess you can just assume that I made it up. Not trying to be an asshole to you but you don't have to be all prickie because I didn't post something the way you wanted me too.

gbpackfan
03-27-2007, 02:21 PM
Who is Kiffin?

Im really liking the news that the raiders dont have enough dough to pony up for all the draft picks and moss without him restructuring his contract. No way in hell is he gonna do that.

Man, draft day is gonna be crazy!

Kiffin is their new HC.

ND72
03-27-2007, 02:33 PM
I love how both sides are saying it's bullshit, and then everyone in here says it's bullshit that they say it's bullshit. what are all of you goign to say when the trade doesn't happen?

MJZiggy
03-27-2007, 02:36 PM
what are all of you goign to say when the trade doesn't happen?

That's bullshit. :!: :mrgreen:

Green Bud Packer
03-27-2007, 02:36 PM
bullshit. day late and a buck short again.

ND72
03-27-2007, 02:37 PM
what are all of you goign to say when the trade doesn't happen?

That's bullshit. :!: :mrgreen:

:lol: fair enough.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-27-2007, 03:47 PM

How about you be thankful that someone else did your research for you. If you want the source, find the article yourself. Otherwise, I guess you can just assume that I made it up. Not trying to be an asshole to you but you don't have to be all prickie because I didn't post something the way you wanted me too.

No need to kill each other :)

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=2&date=3/27/2007&id=21134

gbpackfan
03-27-2007, 03:49 PM
TT's horrible offseason is turning me into a MONSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHH! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Jimx29
03-27-2007, 04:59 PM
My sources say Kiffen is wrong :?

retailguy
03-27-2007, 05:56 PM
My sources say that exactly what Al Davis said is what happened. We called, Davis asked for the moon, we thanked him, hung up, laughed, and MOVED ON.

MadtownPacker
03-27-2007, 07:05 PM
Who is Kiffin?

Kiffin is their new HC.
I had already answered my own question.

There is a reason Al likes em young.

Partial
03-27-2007, 07:14 PM
My sources say Kiffen is wrong :?

stop that

packers11
03-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Mike Vandermause column: Thompson tunes out Moss gossip

PHOENIX – Ted Thompson insists the Randy Moss trade rumors that have been swirling over his head for much of the off-season haven’t been a distraction.

“It hasn’t been, no,” he said Tuesday morning outside the Arizona Biltmore, site of the NFL owners meeting.

Then he added with a laugh: “It might become (a distraction).”

The trade of Moss, the controversial Oakland Raiders wide receiver, to the Packers has been one of the most rumored transactions on the NFL grapevine over the past two months.

Fans have engaged in spirited debate, and Internet rumor mills have all but declared a Moss trade a done deal.

Somehow, Thompson has been able to rise above it all. He has been consistent in his refusal to comment about Moss. It’s not good form to talk about an employee of another team, so Thompson has an easy out.

Thompson acknowledged he has engaged in numerous trade discussions during the off-season, but that’s simply part of his normal routine. He estimated he might talk to between six and eight teams a week.

“Sometimes those talks heat up and then you realize it’s not going anywhere and it fizzles away,” he said.

Thompson said this week’s gathering of NFL owners, general managers and coaches in Arizona also provided an opportunity to talk about trades.

“Yeah, whether it’s me or somebody from another team, what we refer to as fishing expeditions, saying ‘what about this, what about this’, you get that kind of chat all the time,” said Thompson.

While he won’t admit it, there can be no doubt Thompson has discussed a Moss trade during the off-season. The Packers are in desperate need of offensive playmakers, and Thompson would be foolish not to explore all his options.

And why would he stop at wide receiver? The Packers could use a proven running back, and San Diego backup Michael Turner’s name has surfaced as a possible trade candidate.

Consummating a deal for Moss, Turner or some other player would be dependent on negotiating the right price. In the case of Moss, it is believed the Packers are waiting for that to come down.

For their part, the Raiders are doing everything possible to bolster Moss’ value. Oakland officials have been talking this week about wanting Moss in their lineup this season.

It doesn’t take a genius to see they are blowing smoke. If the Raiders admitted they wanted to unload Moss, his value would plummet.

Why would the Raiders want to keep a 30-year-old receiver who is coming off a pair of sub-par seasons and is scheduled to be paid $9.75 million in base salary in 2007?

The Packers must ask themselves the same question, although they would surely negotiate a lower salary as a condition of Moss coming to Green Bay.

A change of scenery, and being teamed with Brett Favre, could be enough to turn Moss’ sagging fortunes around. Perhaps there’s enough lightning left in Moss’ legs to transform the Packers’ offense.

Those are the expectations Thompson has managed to ignore. And he has his mentor, former Packers general manager Ron Wolf, to thank for the ability to tune out public sentiment.

“I’ve used poor Ron a lot but I’ll use him again, in that he told me never to get whacked out about that,” said Thompson. “I can’t react and do things for the sake of the populace. It has to be a thought-out decision that makes sense for the Packers.”

Mike Vandermause is sports editor of the Press-Gazette.

BF4MVP
03-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Moss won't be a raider next year.

oregonpackfan
03-27-2007, 11:25 PM
The most critical part of that report is this:

"Why would the Raiders want to keep a 30-year-old receiver who is coming off a pair of sub-par seasons and is scheduled to be paid $9.75 million in base salary in 2007?

The Packers must ask themselves the same question..."

'nuff said.

Guiness
03-27-2007, 11:55 PM
Moss won't be a raider next year.

Your sources tell you that? :beat: :beat: :beat: