PDA

View Full Version : Ted Thompson says : Trade talks constant part of offseason

woodbuck27
03-27-2007, 02:13 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070327/PKR01/70327121/1989

Posted March 27, 2007

Thompson: Trade talks constant part of offseason

By Mike Vandermause
mvandermause@greenbaypressgazette.com

PHOENIX – Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson said this morning he is in constant trade discussions with other teams during the offseason, but that doesn’t mean anything will happen.

“We do that all the time,” said Thompson of trade talks.

“It seems like we only actually make trades on draft days, but we probably talk to teams about trading during the course of a week in the offseason -- maybe six, seven, eight teams. And then sometimes those talks heat up and then you realize it’s not going anywhere and it fizzles away. It’s just part of the process.”

Thompson is attending the NFL owners meeting at the Arizona Biltmore and said trade discussions haven taken place this week.

“Yeah, whether it’s me or somebody from another team, what we refer to as fishing expeditions, saying what about this, what about this, you get that kind of chat all the time,” said Thompson.

Thompson wouldn’t speculate on the likelihood of the Packers making a move -- whether a trade or free-agent signing -- prior to the April 28-29 draft.

“You just never know,” he said.

“I’m not trying to dodge the question. The cake’s done when the cake’s done. There’s the potential that something could happen but it’s just as likely that everything probably stays pretty close to status quo.”

Thompson maintains the Randy Moss trade rumors involving the Packers haven’t been a distraction. Thompson said he chooses to tune out the rumor mill.

MJZiggy
03-27-2007, 02:16 PM
Thompson said he chooses to tune out the rumor mill.

Take THAT, Florio!

gbpackfan
03-27-2007, 02:24 PM
I have no problem with TT not blabing our plans all over the media. I do have a problem with him making NO moves this offseason.

woodbuck27
03-27-2007, 02:31 PM
I have no problem with TT not blabing our plans all over the media. I do have a problem with him making NO moves this offseason.

Ted Thompson is waiting for the market to come to him. . .again.

Same stripes. :)

The Shadow
03-27-2007, 11:36 PM
...said Thompson. “I can’t react and do things for the sake of the populace. It has to be a thought-out decision that makes sense for the Packers.”

Thank God!
I think the Packers are extremely lucky to have Thompson making the presonnel calls.

Zool
03-28-2007, 07:20 AM
I think Mr Thompson should read this board and do every move that we suggest thereby keeping all of us happy. Since we are split 50/50 on alot of players, it would be interesting to see what would happen.

vince
03-28-2007, 07:55 AM
I have no problem with TT not blabing our plans all over the media. I do have a problem with him making NO moves this offseason.I also hoped for some offseason moves by now. They just haven't materialized.

When I look at it, though, I can't say that any of the realistic moves we might have made were world-beaters (Henry, Griffin, Graham, Hamlin). I just don't see that there were significant upgrades over what we already have out there - especially when you consider that they would potentially create salary structure issues internally and/or those players simply preferred another team because of former coaches, etc..

Also, we'll plug holes and add depth in the draft. We'll obviously have a much better picture in a month or so...

retailguy
03-28-2007, 08:01 AM
Also, we'll plug holes and add depth in the draft. We'll obviously have a much better picture in a month or so...

It would be my opinion ( :P ) that we've really got a pretty good picture right now.

Either Thompson really thinks we're competitive as we are, OR, he's methodically executing his plan and doesn't give one whit about 2007. He's making move for beyond.

Seems pretty clear at this point. While the Free Agent market is "weak" by majority opinion facts, there were guys who could start and were better than what we have. We elected to ignore those players. Not much left to be analyzed.

I have never believed the Moss trade rumors, and I'm not sold on the Turner ones either. Just don't mesh with who Ted says he is. And, we're supposed to belive him when he speaks, right?

vince
03-28-2007, 08:25 AM

It would be my opinion ( :P ) that we've really got a pretty good picture right now.

Either Thompson really thinks we're competitive as we are, OR, he's methodically executing his plan and doesn't give one whit about 2007. He's making move for beyond.

Seems pretty clear at this point. While the Free Agent market is "weak" by majority opinion facts, there were guys who could start and were better than what we have. We elected to ignore those players. Not much left to be analyzed.

I have never believed the Moss trade rumors, and I'm not sold on the Turner ones either. Just don't mesh with who Ted says he is. And, we're supposed to belive him when he speaks, right?
I think Ted does believe in the players we have on the roster. I agree that there were some potential upgrades out there, but not big ones.

Do you not think that this year's draft has the potential to fill holes and add depth to the roster?

CaliforniaCheez
03-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Randy Moss and Michael Turner are both represented by Bus Cook.

Bus is the source of many of these rumors.

The Packers are one of the few teams that can afford big deals for his clients.

Bus has not spread bad rumors like this in the past. It is what has given them so much print.

Is he pushing at the behest of his other client Brett Favre??

swede
03-28-2007, 01:12 PM
I have no problem with TT not blabing our plans all over the media. I do have a problem with him making NO moves this offseason.I also hoped for some offseason moves by now. They just haven't materialized.

When I look at it, though, I can't say that any of the realistic moves we might have made were world-beaters (Henry, Griffin, Graham, Hamlin). I just don't see that there were significant upgrades over what we already have out there - especially when you consider that they would potentially create salary structure issues internally and/or those players simply preferred another team because of former coaches, etc..

I would not have complained if TT had signed A. Green for tons of money. As I've said before, Ahman earned that money long ago. Oh well.

Not pushing a little harder for the fullback (Griffin) or a TE is my only real regret, though. Griffin seemed a decent talent, though smallish. We've picked up dozens of FA and low-round draft pick nobodies for over ten years trying to replace Henderson and Chmura. As a team we seem to pull offensive linemen out of our...hat...every draft but we can't find a serviceable TE or FB.

wist43
03-28-2007, 01:57 PM
I can't imagine that there is a single GM in the league that even thinks about calling TT about possible trades dealing with players... what's the point???

TT isn't about to part with a draft pick - everybody knows that. I suppose GM's looking to move up in the draft know they've got a willing dance partner in TT, but that's about the only scenario in which I could see TT even answering the phone.

retailguy
03-28-2007, 05:20 PM
I think Ted does believe in the players we have on the roster. I agree that there were some potential upgrades out there, but not big ones.

Do you not think that this year's draft has the potential to fill holes and add depth to the roster?

Sure, the team will fill some holes in the draft. But, Vince, do you really think they can fill ALL the holes in the draft? That'd be the best draft in the last 15 years...

We have need at (no particular order): RB, FB, TE, WR, Safety, and Special Teams....

The average draft produces what, say, two good players, and a marginal one? That's pretty good to hope for.

We need a MINIMUM of FIVE starters right now. We can't get all of that from the draft, no freaking way that all that "falls" to Thompson.

The likelihood of picking those starters out of summer cuts isn't very good either.

I didn't want to "blow the whole wad" in Free Agency either Vince, but wouldn't a TE and a FB have helped fill some holes? Wouldn't that have allowed the "focus" in the later rounds to draft some talent at needed positions, say SAFETY perhaps?

Don't get me wrong, I like the "draft the best player" philosophy, but in the middle rounds, is there really that much difference between the "grade" of the best player", and say, the Safety that the team really needs?

I just see 2007 being played with holes, again, and I'm just frustrated. I really think this offense could be special with a decent RB, another WR, and a TE who can catch. Is that too much to hope for? I think for 2007 it will be. None of the remaining RB's will command the same level of respect out of opposing defenses than Green would've. Can he be replaced? Sure, of course. Can it happen in '07? Not without some help, and a bit of luck.

Guess my horseshoe is upside down...

run pMc
03-29-2007, 11:04 AM
I see your point retailguy. There are a lot of holes on this team, but there are holes on every team.
I think you build from the draft, augment with FA, and hope young guys already on the roster develop. In defense of TT, the FA market hasn't been that good -- this year or last. When the top WR is Drew Bennett, you know it's a bad year.

I think if TT can fill half of those holes thru the draft (that would be a good draft) and one or two others with young players on the roster who develop, this is a team that could challenge for a playoff spot. FA is usually gravy -- many teams are under the cap, and 'name' guys are getting cut because they are overpaid. GB doesn't need anymore Joe Johnsons or CHunts.

LaFours
03-29-2007, 11:15 AM
GB doesn't need anymore Joe Johnsons or CHunts.

Be fair, everybody needs a chunt now and then.

woodbuck27
03-29-2007, 01:03 PM
GB doesn't need anymore Joe Johnsons or CHunts.

Be fair, everybody needs a chunt now and then.

I wouldn't touch that one with a ten foot pole. :)

woodbuck27
03-29-2007, 01:26 PM

Sure, the team will fill some holes in the draft. But, Vince, do you really think they can fill ALL the holes in the draft? That'd be the best draft in the last 15 years...

We have need at (no particular order): RB, FB, TE, WR, Safety, and Special Teams....

The average draft produces what, say, two good players, and a marginal one? That's pretty good to hope for.

We need a MINIMUM of FIVE starters right now. We can't get all of that from the draft, no freaking way that all that "falls" to Thompson.

The likelihood of picking those starters out of summer cuts isn't very good either.

I didn't want to "blow the whole wad" in Free Agency either Vince, but wouldn't a TE and a FB have helped fill some holes? Wouldn't that have allowed the "focus" in the later rounds to draft some talent at needed positions, say SAFETY perhaps?

Don't get me wrong, I like the "draft the best player" philosophy, but in the middle rounds, is there really that much difference between the "grade" of the best player", and say, the Safety that the team really needs?

I just see 2007 being played with holes, again, and I'm just frustrated. I really think this offense could be special with a decent RB, another WR, and a TE who can catch. Is that too much to hope for? I think for 2007 it will be. None of the remaining RB's will command the same level of respect out of opposing defenses than Green would've. Can he be replaced? Sure, of course. Can it happen in '07? Not without some help, and a bit of luck.

A comment fr. 'just a Packer fan':

I will give you full marks for seeing it and calling it just as it certainly appears retailguy .

It can be argued that we are weaker on 'O' then at the end of last season. Unless you are one of the fans that buys into TT's claims of faith in our existing RB's. I see that as a leap.

I would estimate (based on polls) that about one third of Packer fans feel, that to date. Ted Thompson has failed in the off season. Bringing in, just CB Frank Walker as a potential nickleback, no matter how good a signing that may turn out to be, isn't cutting it for them.

We lost OUR #1 RB in FA and have need at TE,WR,FB,the OL and at safety.

The draft may give us help this season in a couple of these spots. That is alot to count on.

Many Packer fans are watching Ted Thompson carefully. Many Packer fans have a reason to be anxious. With his inactivity or unsuccess in potentially filling needs in FA, fans may judge that he's washing any real chance of success for OUR 2007 season away.

It's certainly not wrong to take that stance and it's not a difficult one to back up. :)

GO PACK GO !

vince
03-29-2007, 03:41 PM

Obviously, we won't agree on specific players, but here's where I believe we need to fill holes and/or add depth.

RB - We need another productive back for sure. This is definitely fillable in this year's draft.
FB - We need a backup. When Miree entered the picture last year, the running game took a big step forward.
TE - IMO, We need someone who can contend for a starting position. This is doable in the draft, but there are some who believe this is a weak year for TE's, with Olson being the only great prospect.
WR - Every team in the league is always looking to improve at every position, and I personally would welcome the addition of Moss. However, I think we have depth of talent (albeit somewhat unproven) at this position.
S - I believe that Underwood or Culver will ultimately win that spot, and I believe whichever does win it will do a fine job.
OT - I believe we need a quality lineman who can begin to build upon the young foundation established last year - to back up our two veteran OT's and prepare to replace them in a few years.
DL - I advocated for a bigtime DE last year before Jenkins and Williams seeminly came out of nowhere to be pretty productive.
I think we're pretty well set at DL, LB, CB, QB, OG but again, every team can always try to improve.

Last year's draft brought four quality starters to the team, and a number of additional quality players for special teams. If this year's draft brings two starters and 3 quality backups (eminently doable imo) and the team continues to improve - which I would expect - we have great potential to build upon the growth achieved of new systems and coaches that were implemented last year and a productive offseason for what are now veteran professionals.

Maybe I'm an optimist by nature, but I'm optimistic about the direction of this team.

BooHoo
03-29-2007, 04:58 PM
Blah, Blah, Blah.