PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy wants to bring in another QB

Brando19
03-27-2007, 06:13 PM
Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy would like to bring in another quarterback for training camp. McCarthy has interest in bringing back unrestricted free-agent QB Todd Bouman, but wants to see what happens in the draft before making a decision.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-27-2007, 06:16 PM
I guess he had the same feeling about the running back position.

MJZiggy
03-27-2007, 06:30 PM
Way to take a quote out of context, KFFL. This is a quote taken from a Silverstein article in which M3 defends AR and calls him the QB of the future

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=582302

and this is just a tiny sidenote in it.

HarveyWallbangers
03-27-2007, 07:25 PM
Completely out of context. I read this as he wants another camp arm, maybe somebody to push Ingle Martin.

packers11
03-27-2007, 07:38 PM
I heard from my "sources" that if the packers can get randy moss... He could be the future at quarterback... :lol: :wink:

Merlin
03-28-2007, 10:44 AM
I guess if I was high on a Quarterback I already had in camp (excluding Bouman at this time), I wouldn't be looking to sign another one. Competition at that QB spot is a great way to weed out the ones you aren't that high on. My take on this is that they want to shake up the ranks and make whoever emerges work for the #2 job and not get it solely because they were a #1 draft pick. This would give a fair chance to Martin who hasn't been given that chance yet.

oregonpackfan
03-28-2007, 10:46 AM
Competition is the key word here. I think people are reading too much about another QB being brought into camp. Even all-Pro veterans need to realize there is always another player who will try to win your spot from you.

retailguy
03-28-2007, 11:10 AM
I don't think this is anything other than a "camp arm" at this point.

Remember, they monitor EVERY SINGLE throw Favre makes. At some point in the future, GB will pay off it's debt by selling the throwing charts on ebay.

Merlin
03-28-2007, 01:00 PM
I don't think it's all about a "camp arm". Rodgers and Martin both need to throw a lot during camp if there is a true competition between them (I would argue that there isn't). You also have the mysterious 4th string QB that every team has on the roster that could fill in if all you wanted was someone to throw the ball. I would assume the 4th QB on the depth chart gets some kind of coaching at the position, albeit not much though.

Normally when coaches bring someone in, they are looking for both the competition and possibly an upgrade over the two backups. Could they be looking to upgrade Martin? Sure. Could they be looking to upgrade Rogers? Sure. Whoever they bring in you can almost bet that nothing but nice things will be said about him and then poof....they cut one of them without a negative word.

swede
03-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Akili Smith, Tim Couch, etc., etc.

The list of camp arms goes on and on.

I do remember when a guy named Ryan Longwell was brought in to be a camp leg and he stole the damn kicking job away from Conway. (What a move by Wolf to swallow his ego and cut his 3rd round pick!)

I suppose it could happen with a camp quarterback. How well would he have to play to beat out Favre?! I ask the question seriously. Could a nobody kid conceivably play well enough to steal the opening start away from Favre?

I don't think so. Over the course of a pre-season a miracle kid could complete 80% of his passes for 600 yards and eight TD's and Favre would either still get the start or retire.

BooHoo
03-28-2007, 03:15 PM
I don't see it as just a camp arm either. They are looking to upgrade.

Chubbyhubby
03-28-2007, 05:20 PM
If we did draft a second day qb who would it be? Suggestions anyone?

Guiness
03-28-2007, 07:33 PM
If just bring in Bouman, I would argue that he is just a camp arm. He was around last year, and couldn't beat out either of them, so I can't see him doing it this time.

If they bring in someone else, who knows? There's no reason (other than some claiming TT won't admit a mistake) to not believe it would be a wide open competition for the two backup jobs. If they like what they see, they'd be foolish not to keep him.