PDA

View Full Version : Pack above minumum

cpk1994
03-28-2007, 09:10 AM
Notes: Packers following rules
Green Bay won't violate minimum pay guidelines
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com

Thanks to an $11.8 million option bonus payment the Packers had to pay linebacker A.J. Hawk this month, they will end up spending more than enough to satisfy their $92.9 million cash minimum for player salaries.

According to the collective bargaining agreement, the Packers must spend 85.2% of the current $109 million salary cap in player costs. They currently sit at about $82 million, which means they need to spend only another $11 million in cash to satisfy the minimum.

There are two different ways they can accomplish that even if they don't sign a free agent or trade for a high-priced veteran.

They can extend the contract of someone like linebacker Nick Barnett or Corey Williams and pay him a big chunk of cash this year or they can structure contracts with their draft choices so that a greater-than-normal portion of cash is paid to them this year.

"We spend a lot of time talking about personnel, we spend a lot of time discussing those kinds of questions," general manager Ted Thompson said Tuesday at the annual NFL owners meetings. "We don't speak about them publicly, but we have an understanding of where we are and some things that we'd like to do. That'll work itself out."

Thompson acknowledged that locking up Barnett or Williams, both of whom are entering the final year of their contracts, is a possibility. He said the Packers' main objective was to spend money on their own players.

"We have a number of players that we would like to have some conversations about their future with the Packers, and certainly those are two guys that would be in that group," Thompson said.

wist43
03-28-2007, 11:47 AM
No one really doubted that the money would get spent...

At this point, the only responible thing they can do is use it up extending guys. I'm sure Barnett will get done... and probably Williams too.

Might as well go ahead and front load 'em this year, use up the cap space that way, and go into the next couple of years with at least as much flexibility.

Maybe by then he'll be ready to extend Hawk and Jennings. :wink:

MadtownPacker
03-28-2007, 11:48 AM
I like news like this. Shows Thompson is running the organization like a well oiled machine.

Packnut
03-28-2007, 11:52 AM
I like news like this. Shows Thompson is running the organization like a well oiled machine.

Well, I sure hope that "well oiled machine" can find a RB,TE,S,OLB and a #3 WR that will be better than what we have now.

That's a whole lotta holes to fill.......... :cry:

CaliforniaCheez
03-28-2007, 12:51 PM
Last year the Packers rookie cap limit(cap within the cap) was 4.5 million. So 5 million of the remaining 11 million will go to the drafted rookies.

Cutting Ferguson, Barry, and possibly Bubba will cost another 2 million.

A Barnett deal of course will end all this discussion.

Merlin
03-28-2007, 12:55 PM
I don't know if a Barnett deal will impact the cap this season that much or not. That would depend on how it is structured. If TT is looking to sign some training camp cuts or anyone one draft day, you would think Barnett's deal would be cap friendly to this season. If Barnett's deal isn't cap friendly to this season then you know TT isn't going after anyone big this season.

Of course, all this is assuming that Barnett will get a new deal this season. I will believe that when I see it.

rdanomly
03-28-2007, 01:49 PM
Any idea on what triggered Hawk getting the extra $11.8 million?

retailguy
03-28-2007, 05:08 PM

just before it drives off the mountain.... but man is it sailing pretty! :P

cpk1994
03-28-2007, 09:19 PM

At this point, the only responible thing they can do is use it up extending guys. I'm sure Barnett will get done... and probably Williams too.

Might as well go ahead and front load 'em this year, use up the cap space that way, and go into the next couple of years with at least as much flexibility.

I posted it for those who continually think TT sits on the money.

wist43
03-28-2007, 09:41 PM

Well, I'd certainly be one to argue that he sits on money... and, I don't necessarily have a problem with it - theoretically, anyway. I may be critical of how things are handled on a case-by-case basis; but, in general, I don't have a problem with being frugal (smart) with the cap.

As I've said, the only FA I have an axe to grind about is Ahman Green... IMO, the Packers are going to desperately miss him.

There's still plenty of time... rumors of interest in Turner, are just that I fear, rumors; there's no guarentee that Lynch will be there at 16: and, I'm sure I'm not alone in my contention that Morency and Herron aren't going to cut it???

I have no doubt the money will be spent - however, it's certainly not being spent with much urgency.

woodbuck27
03-29-2007, 01:34 PM

Well, I'd certainly be one to argue that he sits on money... and, I don't necessarily have a problem with it - theoretically, anyway. I may be critical of how things are handled on a case-by-case basis; but, in general, I don't have a problem with being frugal (smart) with the cap.

As I've said, the only FA I have an axe to grind about is Ahman Green... IMO, the Packers are going to desperately miss him.

There's still plenty of time... rumors of interest in Turner, are just that I fear, rumors; there's no guarentee that Lynch will be there at 16: and, I'm sure I'm not alone in my contention that Morency and Herron aren't going to cut it???

I have no doubt the money will be spent - however, it's certainly not being spent with much urgency.

He's got to set aside a special fund just to cover all the oil he'll need after we fall flat on OUR backsides in 2007. :)

CaliforniaCheez
03-29-2007, 04:37 PM
Any idea on what triggered Hawk getting the extra $11.8 million?

It was part of his original contract. There is a rookie cap that forces teams to use these type devices to spend more than the rookie cap. I believe Jennings and College and smaller bonus' in their contracts as well.

Last year Hawk's contract made him the 5th highest paid LB in the league.
One of the many things giving Rosenhaus and client Lance Briggs ($7.2 mil)heartburn.

Hawk is a good player who will be better but he is also being paid like a great player. Playing up to that level contract (earning more than Favre this year) is difficult.