PDA

View Full Version : Why Walker is a fool

falco
04-26-2006, 10:16 PM
I've always maintained walker is a moron for wanting a trade...no team will take him with only 1 year left, but he won't get a big contract because he's coming off an injury. Worst case is he gets locked into a substandard contract and holds out again, best case is he gets an incentive laden deal. The best thing he can do is stick it out here 1 more year and get a blockbuster deal next year.

This illustrates my point:

from PFT:

WALKER'S CONTRACT DEMANDS MAKE TRADING HIM A CHALLENGE

Although we've heard from a league source that the Green Bay Packers are willing to trade receiver Javon Walker if the price is right, Walker's price tag for a new contract is making it difficult for anyone to justify swinging a deal.

The problem is that, if a team like the Eagles or the Broncos sends a first-day pick to the Pack for the 2004 Pro Bowler, Walker's new team acquires his rights for only one year -- unless they sign him to an extension contemporaneous with the trade.

And Walker, we hear, wants $10 million to $12 million in guaranteed money. With only one solid NFL season after two less-than-stellar campaigns and a torn ACL suffered in Week One of the 2005 season, it's simply too much money to cough up.

It's the same problem that plagues efforts to trade Ashley Lelie of the Broncos and Donte' Stallworth of the Saints. Both have one year left of their deals, both want more than the market will bear, so neither will be swapped unless and until their expectations get far more reasonable.

MJZiggy
04-26-2006, 10:20 PM
Interesting take. So he acquiesces or he sits.

RashanGary
04-26-2006, 10:21 PM
Walker claims the fans played a part in him wanting to leave. Do you think the nickname "wonderlic" that we've been calling him lately has anything to do with him wanting out?

MJZiggy
04-26-2006, 10:38 PM
Where did he say that?

Bretsky
04-26-2006, 10:41 PM
Walker claims the fans played a part in him wanting to leave. Do you think the nickname "wonderlic" that we've been calling him lately has anything to do with him wanting out?

I've never heard of him referring to the fans, although it wouldn't surprise me. He's getting bad leadership/advise and stupid things just tend to spit out of his mouth the more he talks. The War comparison stands out.

RashanGary
04-26-2006, 10:50 PM
I was listening on ESPN to a guy....Can't think of his name. He's a younger black guy with short almost bald hair...LOL I know how specific. But he said today that he spoke with Walker and Walker felt the fans turned on him and he didn't feel comfortable in GB.

ND72
04-26-2006, 10:54 PM
yeah there was something when he first demanded a trade that the fans were factors in it...he stayed in a hotel and the manager posted on a website he was staying there and that people should come heckle him. said as long as brett favre's name is part of green bay he will be hated by wisconsin people.

Partial
04-26-2006, 10:58 PM
Bah, Walker is full of shit. A buddy of mine has played BBall and partied with Walker on water street. Says he loves the atmosphere and the packer fans. As dedicated and loyal as they come. He just wants $$$

GrnBay007
04-26-2006, 11:01 PM
I really, really wish Walker would continue to play in GB. But don't you guys think things have gone too far now to be patched up?

ND72
04-26-2006, 11:01 PM
agreed

Bretsky
04-26-2006, 11:04 PM
I really, really wish Walker would continue to play in GB. But don't you guys think things have gone too far now to be patched up?

Nope; JW just wants someone to stroke his ego and throw a load of money at him. If TT would do that all would be well............but with a torn ACL TT can't do that.

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2006, 11:07 PM
I don't believe any of that shit about Walker ripping the fans. That would have been all over the Wisconsin newspapers.

MJZiggy
04-26-2006, 11:07 PM

I don't know. I might have thought so until TT's last press conference, but he was very respectful and said if he wanted to come back, he would be welcomed. He left it wide open and made it clear that if Javon has a change of heart there is no ill will. Which now that I'm thinking about it will make Walker look like a huge ass next time he pipes up.

Deputy Nutz
04-26-2006, 11:08 PM
He comes back to Green Bay and Catches touchdown passes in the first several games the fans will forget he ever said a word about Green Bay and it's fans. Regular fans will still cheer for Walker. I on the other hope he retears his ACL and bounces out of the league.

Gee, I hope I didn't hurt his feelings.

Tarlam!
04-27-2006, 04:25 AM
I do not wish him any injury. I just wish him comparative poverty. I hope he ends up getting one of those honest jobs we fans do each day.

I hate these multi-zillionaire athletes in the middle of their contracts saying they're getting shafted by "the man". I don't care who they play for.

I hate Eli Manning. I hate Phillip Rivers and the Bears RB from last yera. Rookies holding out make me wanna vomit.

I am not stupid enough to think these guys are in it for the glory of the sport. I know it's a business. With the owners and networks earning so much, the players have a definite right for their slice, and it should be as big as it is.

I just hate holdouts.

GBRulz
04-27-2006, 10:15 AM
I do not wish him any injury. I just wish him comparative poverty. I hope he ends up getting one of those honest jobs we fans do each day.

I hate these multi-zillionaire athletes in the middle of their contracts saying they're getting shafted by "the man". I don't care who they play for.

I hate Eli Manning. I hate Phillip Rivers and the Bears RB from last yera. Rookies holding out make me wanna vomit.

I am not stupid enough to think these guys are in it for the glory of the sport. I know it's a business. With the owners and networks earning so much, the players have a definite right for their slice, and it should be as big as it is.

I just hate holdouts.

Totally agree with you. That is why I'd like to see some kind of rookie cap put in place. many of these top 10 draft picks get more money than establised veterans. I think there should be a standard 2 year rookie contract that is capped. That would eliminate the rookie holdouts.

This would also help teams budget their available cap space better for FA's.

GBRulz
04-27-2006, 10:17 AM
Bah, Walker is full of shit. A buddy of mine has played BBall and partied with Walker on water street. Says he loves the atmosphere and the packer fans. As dedicated and loyal as they come. He just wants $$$

Ditto. I've heard the exact same thing from a couple friends of mine who know Walker.

Even at camps, he is always one to take time to sign autographs and talk to fans.

Harlan Huckleby
04-27-2006, 10:32 AM
The problem is that, if a team like the Eagles or the Broncos sends a first-day pick to the Pack for the 2004 Pro Bowler, Walker's new team acquires his rights for only one year -- unless they sign him to an extension contemporaneous with the trade.

Good point. All the more reason to believe that any trade would involve a conditional draft pick in 2007. It makes much more sense.

It seems to me that Walker doesn't want to play in G.B. It's gonna cost him some money to get out. His obvious best financial strategy would be to rebuild his worth by finishing his contract next year in GB. People won't accept that JW wants away from GB, and demonize Walker for taking this position. It's just like a divorce where people choose sides.

Best outcome is for Thompson, Favre and Walker to patch things up. I don't believe this dispute is about money any more.

Harlan Huckleby
04-27-2006, 10:34 AM

Ditto. I've heard the exact same thing from a couple friends of mine who know Walker.

Even at camps, he is always one to take time to sign autographs and talk to fans.

Maybe he is a really nice guy. And he had a severe falling-out with the Packer Organization and Brett Favre. Such a combination is possible, you know!

GBRulz
04-27-2006, 10:55 AM
blue - I really do think he's a good kid. He's just getting bad advice. Unfortunately, we can't blame that on Rosenpuke, either.

MJZiggy
04-27-2006, 10:57 AM
Come to think of it, I wonder what Rosie's telling him...? Is he informing his client that he's an idiot or telling him he'll get the huge payday this way?

Sparkey
04-27-2006, 10:59 AM

Maybe he is a really nice guy. And he had a severe falling-out with the Packer Organization and Brett Favre. Such a combination is possible, you know!

Or maybe he is like a lot of younger people now and blames Favre and the organization for him tearing his ACL, thereby missing out on a big payday. You know, because he can't make a decision for himself and it was Favre and the Fans and the Packers that forced him to play and if they didn't force me to play I would have never torn up my knee, blah blah blah........

GBRulz
04-27-2006, 11:00 AM
I picture this when JW was a kid.....

"hey Javon, I dare you to put an M80 in the toilet and flush it"

Javon" "ok, sure, that sounds fun"

Tarlam!
04-27-2006, 12:21 PM
Come to think of it, I wonder what Rosie's telling him...? Is he informing his client that he's an idiot or telling him he'll get the huge payday this way?

Prolly saying, hey Javon, why'dya fire me again?