PDA

View Full Version : Grady Jackson is pissed

packrulz
03-28-2007, 03:07 PM
I don't miss that crap at all, give me Corey Williams any day.

Jackson files suit against Falcons

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 03/28/07

Atlanta Falcons defensive tackle Grady Jackson, who started all 16 games last season, is suing the franchise for invasion of privacy and defamation over the alleged released of his medical records, the player's attorney said Tuesday.

"It [the lawsuit] was just filed [Monday] and it was served on the Atlanta Falcons Football Club, today," said Eric Farber, Jackson's San Francisco-based attorney.
A Falcons spokesman acknowledged the team had been served with the lawsuit, adding there were other motives behind the move.

"We are disappointed that Grady Jackson's agent has taken this action," Falcons vice president of football communications Reggie Roberts said by telephone, reading from a prepared statement. "We believe that this is a continuing attempt by the agent to gain a new contract for his client."

Jackson's agent, Angelo Wright, of Hayward, Calif., denied that he is driving the lawsuit.

"This is Grady Jackson's lawsuit, and it's time that they recognize that," Wright said. "Again they continue to insult Grady Jackson and that he can think as a grown man with a brain. They have fostered a climate of personal disrespect to Grady Jackson both as a football player and a man."

While Jackson was a free agent last season, reports surfaced in April that he had heart issues and had flunked a team's physical exam. The Falcons later signed Jackson, who is listed at 350 pounds and is one of the largest players in the league, in August.

"Essentially the Atlanta Falcons released private and personal health information to the press without authority when Grady Jackson was a free agent and not under contract," Farber said.

Rich McKay, the Falcons president and general manager, was in Arizona for the NFL owners meeting and did not make himself available for an interview.

In August, Jackson, a 10-year veteran, was signed to a three-year contract and received a $300,000 signing bonus from the Falcons. He played last season for the league veteran minimum salary of $710,000. He's set to make base salaries of $1.5 million in 2007 and 2008.

Jackson would like to have his contract redone to be more in line with other veteran starting defensive tackles. The average pay for the top five players at that position is $6.8 million.

Farber is lead counsel in the case and is working with Atlanta firm Cozen O'Conner and its managing partner Samuel Solomon Woodhouse III.

Jackson lawyers' contend the Falcons released the medical information and hurt his value in the free agency market.

It is rare for a player under contract to file a suit against his current team. Usually, players have contract or injury grievances that are dealt with under the league's collective bargaining agreement with the NFL Players Association.

With Jackson anchoring the middle of the defense, the Falcons improved from 26th (128.9 yards per game) against the run in 2005 to ninth (103.6) in the league last season. He was the only projected starter on the defensive line to play in all 16 games as Rod Coleman, John Abraham and Patrick Kerney all suffered injuries.

Kerney, a defensive end, recently signed a six-year, $39.5-million free agent contract with the Seattle Seahawks.

Jackson, who finished with 33 tackles and two passes defensed, turned down several requests for an interview. The Falcons started their voluntary offseason conditioning program earlier this month and Jackson has been a no-show.

The Falcons, attempting to reinforce the defensive tackle position, claimed Anthony Bryant off waivers from Detroit. He played in eight games over two years, with three starts. They also had Chicago's Ian Scott in for a visit, but negotiations have cooled

oregonpackfan
03-28-2007, 03:13 PM
I don't know if the reports about Jackson's heart are true.

What concerns me, however, is the amount of stress put on his heart both by his weight and the demands of pro football.

Unless he changes his weight and lifestyle, it is doubtful, the man will ever reach age 45.

Cobra Kai
03-28-2007, 03:41 PM
Grady is an asshat that always thinks he is underpaid. If he would ever take care of himself and get into decent shape he could be one of the highest paid DT's. But he's a fat lazy turd that resorts to suing the only team that really showed interest in him last year and actually gave him a multi-year deal. Aside from taking care of his body, maybe he should learn how to manage his money better too...

OS PA
03-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Grady is an asshat that always thinks he is underpaid. If he would ever take care of himself and get into decent shape he could be one of the highest paid DT's. But he's a fat lazy turd that resorts to suing the only team that really showed interest in him last year and actually gave him a multi-year deal. Aside from taking care of his body, maybe he should learn how to manage his money better too...

Well you could say this same thing about all the top veteran run-stopping Defensive Tackles in this league. It's not like Pat Williams, Sam Adams, Kris Jenkins, Dan Wilkinson, Casey Hampton are being paid to watch their weight, and be in tip-top shape. They're being paid the big bucks to sit their fat asses in the middle of the line and plug up multiple holes, which you apparently don't remember how good Grady was at doing. It's a shame how poorly Grady has been paid, I believe he's performed up to the standards of a top-flight run-stopping tackle, and he is being paid like he is a late draft pick. Wouldn't you bitch?

Cobra Kai
03-28-2007, 04:15 PM
The DT's that are in shape make the big bucks, i.e. Kevin Williams and Richard Seymour. Teams don't pay the fat DT's the top dollar and if they do its not for very long. That's why the Grady's and Sam Adams of the world have played for numorus teams. They get cut after a couple years and then move to another team. If you have a weight issue and don't fix it, teams will move on. They don't want that type of liability. So no I don't feel sorry for him, he does have some control over his life...

MJZiggy
03-28-2007, 04:22 PM
I find it odd that he signed with them after they did something so heinous as to be sued for and then brought the suit while he was trying to renegotiate his contract. Something just seems off about the circumstances and timing. :?

Green Bud Packer
03-28-2007, 08:51 PM
jackson was paid 33,000 dollars a tackle last year. ludacris.

BallHawk
03-28-2007, 08:55 PM
jackson was paid 33,000 dollars a tackle last year. ludacris.

I could do that. I'd wrap myself in bubble wrap and lunge at them with a swiss army knife until one of them tripped.

Sure, I'd have to post bail, but in the end I'd make money.

Kiwon
03-29-2007, 03:52 AM
Grady is pissed?

Why? Did they bar him from the buffet restaurant?

MadtownPacker
03-29-2007, 08:46 AM
Couldnt happen to a nicer team!

Another move that TT was criticized for. Sure glad to have the nice rotation at DT thats on the team now.

Guiness
03-29-2007, 10:31 AM
Gota love the way his agent distances himself - he knows he's going to have to negotiate with the team again!

Somehow this guy just keeps sinking himself. I've no doubt he was a big part of their defense, and one of the reasons it was so much better this year. My guess is that Atlanta cuts him loose.

Chester Marcol
03-29-2007, 11:59 AM
I thought this had something to do with IHOP doing away with the "all-u-can-eat" pancake promotion.

MJZiggy
03-29-2007, 02:19 PM
I thought this had something to do with IHOP doing away with the "all-u-can-eat" pancake promotion.

It does. He can't afford to fill up anymore so he's suing the team for more money.

CaliforniaCheez
03-29-2007, 04:23 PM
More than two thumbs down on Madtown's signature.

Anyway during Grady's time with the Packers there was a point where he had been in the league 9 years and had no savings. The Packers advanced him money($60K) through a contract re-write so he had money until training camp checks started coming in.

At the time I remember a story on Tony Fisher studying finance and how he was saving most of his meager checks.

William Henderson when being interviewed during the draft coverage said he has never cashed a game check. All that money has been invested and has had more than enough to live on with the signing bonuses.

Grady if he ever began saving money might have anywhere from zero to $500K to show for about 10 years in the NFL. He is on his 4th team.

The Falcons were desperate at DT and signed him very late in free agency last year( August 23rd).

Some day Grady Jackson will be working somewhere telling people he used to be somebody. He will be the fat bitter old guy on the job.

He will be used as an example of what not to do when the Packers give their voluntary financial counseling to interested players.

AtlPackFan
03-29-2007, 04:36 PM
[quote="MadtownPacker"]Couldnt happen to a nicer team!

{\quote]

No, it couldn't! :mrgreen:

KYPack
03-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Grady does have a beef. Yeah, he screwed up his money. But, he is still one of the better 3 technique DT's in the league.

He bungled his career and never got the payday other 3's got. He played his ass off for us, but we went in another direction. Every time Grady should have got the big money, he got screwed. Haslett really nailed him on his deal in NO. He should have gotten the money, but it didn't happen for the boy.

That said, he was a big, fat, hoss. He played hard and was one tough bastard down there where the bad guys play.

Now, he'll never get that payday.