PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy: We're counting on Ferguson

packers11
03-28-2007, 04:35 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070328/PKR01/70328148/1989

McCarthy: We're counting on Ferguson

By Mike Vandermause
mvandermause@greenbaypressgazette.com

PHOENIX – Wide receiver Robert Ferguson remains a big part of the Green Bay Packers' plans for the 2007 season, coach Mike McCarthy said this morning.

Ferguson lost his starting job to rookie Greg Jennings and then missed the last 10 games of last season with a right foot injury. But as far as McCarthy is concerned, the seven-year veteran will play a major role in the upcoming season.

“I look for him to compete to be the (No.) 2 or the 3 (receiver),” said McCarthy at an NFC coaches’ breakfast. “I really need him to step up and be a core player on special teams because I think he has the ability to be a Pro Bowl-type player in that area. He’s a unique body type for a receiver. He’s a tough son of a gun. He can do a lot of things with his body type on special teams.”

Ferguson is participating in the Packers’ offseason workout program in Green Bay, McCarthy said. He's struggled to stay healthy during his career, and he took it hard when he was demoted to No. 3 receiver at the start of last season.

“Just like I told him, just because you don’t go with the regulars the first time, I don’t view it that way,” McCarthy said. “You’re still going to play and I think there’s been some added attention, which created added stress on him not running out with that first regular group that in my opinion doesn’t need to be there.

“Because if it’s about the team, it’s about the team. You can’t have guys having their play affected because they’re not running out with the first personnel group. There’s so much football to be played over a 16-week season. To me, that doesn’t need to be the focus. I know it has been, but it won’t be as far as my football team.”

oregonpackfan
03-28-2007, 04:41 PM
This is another of many chances given to Ferguson. So far, he has not capitalized on any of them. I would love to see the guy succeed but I am skeptical.

MJZiggy
03-28-2007, 04:49 PM
I'm starting to like the way M3 keeps referring to them as "my football team."

This article may say he's an important part of the team, but if you read carefully, he says Ferg will COMPETE for a receiver spot and play on special teams. I find that encouraging, but why does M3 refer to this injury waiting to happen as a tough son of a gun? Favre is a tough son of a gun.

GBRulz
03-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Does this translate to "We're counting on Ferguson because TT won't go out and get us anyone better?" Ok, maybe my translation perhaps!

When is his contract up? I'm sure his contract year he'll suddenly have his "break out" year.

red
03-28-2007, 04:58 PM
well if the last, what, 6 years have taught us anything. its that you definately CAN'T count on ferguson

retailguy
03-28-2007, 05:00 PM
well if the last, what, 6 years have taught us anything. its that you definately CAN'T count on ferguson

What are you talking about? Bretsky counts on him all the time!

HarveyWallbangers
03-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Depends what you expect out of him. Many of us expected a starting WR. If you expect a #3 or #4 WR and some good special teams play, than he might not be so disappointing. It doesn't hurt to keep him around. We don't need the money.

red
03-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Depends what you expect out of him. Many of us expected a starting WR. If you expect a #3 or #4 WR and some good special teams play, than he might not be so disappointing. It doesn't hurt to keep him around. We don't need the money.

and i don't think he really costs much anyways

VermontPackFan
03-28-2007, 05:21 PM
I find that encouraging, but why does M3 refer to this injury waiting to happen as a tough son of a gun? Favre is a tough son of a gun.

Because Ferguson is the ultimate team player. He is not afraid to stick his nose on someone while blocking as a WR or playing special teams. Unfortunately he has gotten hurt several times playing on special teams. Granted, he has been a disappointment as a WR and really missed his opportunity last year. I think he is a good guy to have on the team,,,maybe he will suprise people this year?

retailguy
03-28-2007, 05:23 PM
I think he is a good guy to have on the team,,,maybe he will suprise people this year?

They have pills that will help with these kinds of problems. Don't be afraid to seek help. :P

mmmdk
03-28-2007, 05:25 PM
Oh god, oh well...Fergy is a good guy but how many chances does a guy need!? I'll be reluctantly rooting but I'd give Fergy only a slim, slim chance of ever becoming a major contributer on offense - let alone ST. Sad really.

Bretsky
03-28-2007, 07:52 PM
:bang: :bs: :evil: :smack: :bang:

Bretsky
03-28-2007, 07:55 PM

#3 ?

I've never been able to expect him to be this w/o later being disgusted.

Put him on every special teams squad so we can get a few tackles out of him before he gets his annual injury.

Farley Face
03-28-2007, 08:30 PM

Bottomline: Favre doesn't have faith in him and avoids throwing him the ball as a result. What expectation should we have after 6 years that this will change?

With our #1 and #2 not being deep threats, we need our #3 WR to be a burner. Fergy isn't. We need our #3 to be healthy and step up if our #1 or #2 get hurt, Fergy is injury prone. It would be a bonus on a young team to have our #3 be a guy we were grooming to one day replace an aging Driver as a starter. That isn't Fergy.

M3 is saying what he needs to say here, and maybe Fergy will channel some of Robert Brooks' mojo by switching from 89 to 87, but I'll withhold optimism in this case.

BooHoo
03-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Fergy is short-lived as a Packer, unless they keep him around as a special teams player.

Green Bud Packer
03-28-2007, 08:41 PM
because fergie was a 2nd round pick and hasn't proven himself worthy of a second round pick he's always gonna be looked down on. if he were a seventh round pick most fans would be pulling for him cause he has contributed the worth of a 7nd round pick. obviously he's s good guy to have around or he would'nt be around. another over-rated sherman guy.

BooHoo
03-28-2007, 08:43 PM
You are correct about the expectations, green bud. Yes, he has been a disappointment as a #2 pick but would have made a great 7th rounder.

Partial
03-28-2007, 09:06 PM
I am feeling a breakout year. I'm going to buy my #87 as soon as they're available.

I wonder if he has weak bones or why exactly he always gets hurt.

falco
03-28-2007, 09:11 PM
I am feeling a breakout year. I'm going to buy my #87 as soon as they're available.

probably that disease samuel l jackson had in unbreakable

retailguy
03-28-2007, 09:16 PM

There is medication for the other guy, but there ain't no help for P....

esoxx
03-28-2007, 09:18 PM

I'm willing to cut him a little slack on the injury involving Donavon Darius. People seem to forget the brutality of that hit and resulting injury. That doesn't excuse his play but that one was just a bit out of his control.

mmmdk
03-28-2007, 09:22 PM
You are correct about the expectations, green bud. Yes, he has been a disappointment as a #2 pick but would have made a great 7th rounder.

Expectations!? Sure! Great! You cut your losses and move on; be it a 2nd or 7th round pick. As I said above, Fergy is a good guy, but enough is enough. McCarthy is dead wrong - what's Fergy gonna bring? Help win a championship? NO!!! It's TT being cheap again and McCarthy is (maybe) being a trooper.

The Shadow
03-28-2007, 09:22 PM
His value to the Packers is greatly increased by his special teams expertise.
The kickoff & punt units are two of the areas that need major upgrading.
I don't think he will ever be a viable #2 receiver, but his special teams skill could well land him a spot on the roster.

Packnut
03-28-2007, 09:31 PM
Let's see now. Fergy gets a base salary of 1.8 MILLION this season? The guy not only has a terrible injury history but even when healthy NEVER PRODUCED.

Yet your gonna tell me Eric Johnson who at least had 1 outstanding year was to expensive at just over 2 mill? Hamlin who would have been a HUGE upgrade over Manuel would have cost what 2.3 mill?

Oh well, just another case of me over-reacting........ :lol:

I can't be the only one here who has a problem with this! :P

Bretsky
03-28-2007, 10:07 PM
His value to the Packers is greatly increased by his special teams expertise.
The kickoff & punt units are two of the areas that need major upgrading.
I don't think he will ever be a viable #2 receiver, but his special teams skill could well land him a spot on the roster.

He's not that good on specials; Tracy White as a special teamer was equally effective.

And if Fergy was a seventh then we'd be saying clearly he lacks potential so cut the guy loose. But because he's a second we say he's underacheived and potential unrealized. Either way he's THE FRAUD.

OS PA
03-28-2007, 10:25 PM
Let's see now. Fergy gets a base salary of 1.8 MILLION this season? The guy not only has a terrible injury history but even when healthy NEVER PRODUCED.

Yet your gonna tell me Eric Johnson who at least had 1 outstanding year was to expensive at just over 2 mill? Hamlin who would have been a HUGE upgrade over Manuel would have cost what 2.3 mill?

We all wish that everything would have worked out perfectly, but it didn't =(.

Wouldn't this have been a nice Free Agency?

Justin Griffith - 2 million
Eric Johnson - 2 million
Ken Hamlin - 2.3 million
Travis Henry - 2 million

This would leave us with enough money to lock up Barnett, Corey Williams, and our draft picks, as well as give us room to work a trade in, but alas it didn't work out that way and we are stuck with Brandon Miree, Donald Lee, Marquand Manuel, and Vernand Morency as our starts.

Oh well =/

My dream pre-season (after seeing how everything has gone) would be this

- Sign the aforementioned free agents.
- Lock up Barnett
- Trade my 1st for New Englands two 1sts (They want Reggie Nelson)
- Trade my lower first for a 2nd, and a 3rd
- Trade one 2nd with Ferguson for Moss and another 2nd/7th for Turner
- Draft Brandon Merriweather in the first
- and.. Win the Superbowl

but i'm not the GM and this would only work in a dream world.

digitaldean
03-28-2007, 10:34 PM
Fergy is short-lived as a Packer, unless they keep him around as a special teams player.

I, too, am skeptical about Ferguson's 95th chance to show he can be a real contributor.

Maybe I am STILL reeling from Wolf skipping Chris Chambers to get this guy.

I hope he proves me wrong. But, given the past track record, I don't expect any major contribution from Fergy this year.

lod01
03-29-2007, 10:37 AM
How many Brett Favre INT's is this guy solely responsible for? Anyone have a count because I know he is great at not fighting for the football. This guy needs to strictly play special teams. He should not be allowed on the offensive side of the field running plays from scrimmage. He's a detriment.

Fosco33
03-29-2007, 10:40 AM
Maybe M3 is just building up his value so he can dump him.

retailguy
03-29-2007, 10:57 AM
Maybe M3 is just building up his value so he can dump him.

You can shine a pig and it'll still be a pig. 31 general managers can see though that, I'd think.

What scares me, is that McCarthy probably believes it. Relying on Ferguson is like trusting a 200,000 mile car to go from Miami to Seattle.

Will it make it? Sometimes, sure. And sometimes NOT. We've seen plenty of the NOT recently... Too much for me, but, not for them, apparently.

packers11
03-29-2007, 10:58 AM
How many Brett Favre INT's is this guy solely responsible for? Anyone have a count because I know he is great at not fighting for the football. This guy needs to strictly play special teams. He should not be allowed on the offensive side of the field running plays from scrimmage. He's a detriment.

haha remember the game when he like pitched it to the defensive back... I think it was gamble or lucas during the Carolina game... He like caught it, then just like let go of it into there hands... Classic Fergy... :D

woodbuck27
03-29-2007, 01:42 PM

I'm guessing now that S Ken Hamlin signed somewhere.

woodbuck27
03-29-2007, 01:55 PM

We all wish that everything would have worked out perfectly, but it didn't =(.

Wouldn't this have been a nice Free Agency?

Justin Griffith - 2 million
Eric Johnson - 2 million
Ken Hamlin - 2.3 million
Travis Henry - 2 million

This would leave us with enough money to lock up Barnett, Corey Williams, and our draft picks, as well as give us room to work a trade in, but alas it didn't work out that way and we are stuck with Brandon Miree, Donald Lee, Marquand Manuel, and Vernand Morency as our starts.

Oh well =/

My dream pre-season (after seeing how everything has gone) would be this

- Sign the aforementioned free agents.
- Lock up Barnett
- Trade my 1st for New Englands two 1sts (They want Reggie Nelson)
- Trade my lower first for a 2nd, and a 3rd
- Trade one 2nd with Ferguson for Moss and another 2nd/7th for Turner
- Draft Brandon Merriweather in the first
- and.. Win the Superbowl

but i'm not the GM and this would only work in a dream world.

Submit your resume to the Packers.

Soon they may be looking for a new GM. :)

Someone who can begin a sentence with words other than . . .

'' Well I believe or have faith in. . . ''

Damn it. I'm such a radical.

I want OUR GM to express and demonstrate a real picture or vision of how the team will be. Work every day to improve the Packers. Someone that can tie on a pair and state that he can always try to do better.

KYPack
03-29-2007, 04:32 PM
For the good of the Forum, somebody oppose Bretsky and argue with him that we must keep Ferg!

Spec teams play is important, but it doesn't keep you on a roster making the kind of money RF is making. if he can't contribute as a WR, he must be cut for a player who can run the field and play WR.

Ferg is a slot guy and doesn't like getting hit when he makes a grab over the middle. It's time to move on.

MJZiggy
03-29-2007, 04:38 PM
'' Well I believe or have faith in. . . ''

Damn it. I'm such a radical.

I want OUR GM to express and demonstrate a real picture or vision of how the team will be. Work every day to improve the Packers. Someone that can tie on a pair and state that he can always try to do better.

I'd rather our GM HAVE a picture and not demonstrate to me or anyone else a single clue as to what he might do. I'd also like my GM to already have a pair that doesn't need strapping on.

Joemailman
03-29-2007, 06:02 PM
http://mvn.com/nfl-packers/2007/03/29/ferguson-should-wear-number-to-0-not-87/

I wonder if Bretsky has an alias. :lol:

pbmax
03-29-2007, 09:14 PM
I think he meant to get a jersey before his bones break again and the Ferg and his new number are put on IR :lol:

I expect the Ferg to compete for a seat on a bus out of town.

There is medication for the other guy, but there ain't no help for P....

Bretsky
03-29-2007, 10:03 PM
http://mvn.com/nfl-packers/2007/03/29/ferguson-should-wear-number-to-0-not-87/

I wonder if Bretsky has an alias. :lol:

GREAT GREAT FIND

Bretsky
03-29-2007, 10:23 PM
FROM JS

Prescribed role: McCarthy doesn't plan on holding back on receiver Robert Ferguson's special teams work.

He'll get a full load to go along with whatever role he plays on offense.

"I really need him to step up and be a core player on special teams because I think he has the ability to be a Pro Bowl-type player in that area," McCarthy said. "He's a unique body type for a receiver because he's a tough son of a gun now. He can do a lot of things with his body type on special teams."

McCarthy said Ferguson didn't take his demotion to No. 3 well last season and he expects him to be in a better frame of mind this season. He said Ferguson stood to play a lot on offense.

HarveyWallbangers
03-29-2007, 11:07 PM
Travis Henry - 2 million

I think Henry got much more than that--around $5M/year.

OS PA
03-30-2007, 12:01 AM
Travis Henry - 2 million

I think Henry got much more than that--around $5M/year.

From what I saw he got 5 years at 12 Million, which would be roughly 2 per year. This could have been his guaranteed though.

HarveyWallbangers
03-30-2007, 12:36 AM
Broncos | Contract update: T. Henry
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 16:30:52 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports Denver Broncos RB Travis Henry's contract is worth $22.5 million with $12 million in guarantees.

packrulz
03-30-2007, 04:47 AM
I don't believe in cutting a guy that's been hurt, at least let him compete for a spot, TT can always cut him later. I admit, I was pissed they didn't draft Chambers but I don't think Fergy is crap either, I think he can help the team when healthy. I can remember him making some big third down catches. I'd hate to see the viqueens get him and turn him into something.

An inspiration before and after a frightening neck injury prematurely ended his 2004 season, was focus of team?s dedication in clinching division championship at Minnesota that year
Earlier, used his trademark heart and work ethic to overcome another obstacle: a handful of injuries that robbed him of all but one game his 2001 rookie season
Slowly worked his way back up the depth chart, playing in all 16 games in 2002, then authored an impressive 2003 season, posting career-high numbers in receptions (38), receiving yards (520) and touchdown receptions (four), despite battling injuries
Also in ?03, led the club in special teams tackles for the first time with a career-best 17 stops, and returned seven kickoffs for 148 yards (21.1 avg)
Now has appeared in 56 career games, with 25 starts, and recorded 111 receptions for 1,546 yards and 11 TDs
Signed a four-year extension, through 2008, before the ?04 campaign

Bretsky
03-30-2007, 07:17 AM
I don't believe in cutting a guy that's been hurt, at least let him compete for a spot, TT can always cut him later. I admit, I was pissed they didn't draft Chambers but I don't think Fergy is crap either, I think he can help the team when healthy. I can remember him making some big third down catches. I'd hate to see the viqueens get him and turn him into something.

An inspiration before and after a frightening neck injury prematurely ended his 2004 season, was focus of team?s dedication in clinching division championship at Minnesota that year
Earlier, used his trademark heart and work ethic to overcome another obstacle: a handful of injuries that robbed him of all but one game his 2001 rookie season
Slowly worked his way back up the depth chart, playing in all 16 games in 2002, then authored an impressive 2003 season, posting career-high numbers in receptions (38), receiving yards (520) and touchdown receptions (four), despite battling injuries
Also in ?03, led the club in special teams tackles for the first time with a career-best 17 stops, and returned seven kickoffs for 148 yards (21.1 avg)
Now has appeared in 56 career games, with 25 starts, and recorded 111 receptions for 1,546 yards and 11 TDs

Is this suppose to be about the Fraud ?

If it is your information about his rookie season is not accurate.

He was healthy his rookie year. Here's a better bio. A real shit attitude as a rookie. He was the only player drafted in round one or two that was declared gameday inactive for over the first half of the season (I believe it was the first 10 games, but maybe 9) due to a coaches decision.

In 2002 he was a non factor as a WR
In 2003 he barely averaged 2 catches per game
In six years, or 108 games he could have been healthy for, he's pulled in 111 catches. He's hardly played in over half of the games.

He's a classic underachiever. It APPEARS his attitude is better, even though MM made a comment it was not good after being demoted last year. But he teases us each and every year and lets us down time after time after time after time.

Of course it's very tempting to get the annual "One More Year" rally cry going.

I've been hearing it for over three years now.

Cut Bait.

Fritz
03-30-2007, 12:28 PM
This is an instance in which it is entirely appropriate for me to say I am wrong. I liked Fergy over Chambers when he was drafted, and I bought into the if-he-stays-healthy-this-year he'll-be-good theory for many years. It has become transparently, abundantly clear, however, that Fergs does not have deep speed, does not make the tough catches consistently, is often not open when Favre does look for him, does not have Favre's trust, and gets hurt often.

If he could stick as a Pro-Bowl special teams guy, that'd be excellent. We could use a couple guys like that. But he can't be expected to be much more than a #4 receiver, at best.

mngolf19
03-30-2007, 01:25 PM

You could be right about bringing him to MN, but I see in the Indianapolis Star that the Vikes are bringing in Aaron Moorhead for a visit on Monday.

Bretsky
03-30-2007, 08:51 PM
A few more noted on Fergy

His career high for receptions in a season is 38; that's under 2.33 a game.

When the Packers placed the Fraud on the injured reserve in October, his agent stated

""There is something wrong with what is going on up there. I don't know what it is, but I can tell you this. When he got hurt, he had played three quarters and they had thrown him the ball one time. Koren Robinson came in, and they throw him the ball eight times in a quarter. So that to me, speaks volumes.""

""I don't know what it is. I know he's a hard worker, but it's definitely something. Maybe it's Brett. Who knows""

His chump agent then went on to question why they handed the starting job to Greg Jennings. Jennings went on to catch 7 more balls than Ferguson's highest reception year.

Fergy didn't comment on any of this, but I'd be relatively sure his agent didn't pull this stuff out of the blue either.

HarveyWallbangers
03-30-2007, 09:12 PM
You could be right about bringing him to MN, but I see in the Indianapolis Star that the Vikes are bringing in Aaron Moorhead for a visit on Monday.

Man, Chilly and company make me laugh. I think they are trying to assemble a receiving corps that's even worse than last year.

mmmdk
03-31-2007, 05:02 AM

You're somewhat right...Fergy is ever so slightly better than crap. :shock:

mngolf19
03-31-2007, 09:12 AM

Man, Chilly and company make me laugh. I think they are trying to assemble a receiving corps that's even worse than last year.

You may be right Harv, but I have to give them credit for trying. There really is nothing out there so this is what they are left to sorting through. I'm positive they will address also during draft.

woodbuck27
03-31-2007, 01:31 PM
A few more noted on Fergy

His career high for receptions in a season is 38; that's under 2.33 a game.

When the Packers placed the Fraud on the injured reserve in October, his agent stated

""There is something wrong with what is going on up there. I don't know what it is, but I can tell you this. When he got hurt, he had played three quarters and they had thrown him the ball one time. Koren Robinson came in, and they throw him the ball eight times in a quarter. So that to me, speaks volumes.""

""I don't know what it is. I know he's a hard worker, but it's definitely something. Maybe it's Brett. Who knows""

His chump agent then went on to question why they handed the starting job to Greg Jennings. Jennings went on to catch 7 more balls than Ferguson's highest reception year.

Fergy didn't comment on any of this, but I'd be relatively sure his agent didn't pull this stuff out of the blue either.

Well then. . .

When Robert Ferguson can begin to play WR and realize part of that duty is protecting the football then Favre may have some confidence in him.