PDA

View Full Version : Goodell to meet with Pacman

MJZiggy
03-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Pacman is such a turd (http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=2989474)

If Goodell tries to hand down a suspension before the Vegas case is resolved they're threatening to make a media circus out of it. (Like Vegas was his first offense...)

swede
03-28-2007, 08:38 PM
I have no problem with establishing a good conduct policy for players.

They make good money off of the NFL, and, like it or not, bad conduct by players spoils the image of the league. Egregiously bad behavior as displayed by Pacman, Tank Johnson and Chris Henry should have swift consequences according to the clear and strict guidelines of a policy agreed upon by the league and its players.

Could you imagine trying to account for all the stoopid sh!t players are likely to do. How could poor Mr. Goodell possibly foresee that one of the league's players would start a riot ending in gunfire by throwing 80 G's at a bunch of strippers and then sending his bodyguard to pick up the cash again!

There could be 15 pages on misconduct with strippers alone.

And another 5 for misconduct with strippers while at sea. (The Viking Rules)

Whizzinators, Glocks in the LaZboy, Wife Slapping, etc., etc.

Good luck, Roger.

packers11
03-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Goodell : Pacman!!! Nice to see you, so about this suspension...

Pacman : Don't you want to see me on ESPN highlights with the pacman sound in the back while im running?

Goodell : O man... Of course, I would miss that... Hmm... Let me think...

Pacman : Come on, I know , I messed up... Lets make a deal...

Goodell : Propose this deal you say....

Pacman : How would you like a couple of strippers for every NFL game you watch??? Ill even give you some money to throw it on them...

Goodell : Interesting proposal... Sounds good... Ill just fine you 20,000 dollars so the media can get off my back... But make sure you the strippers are here or you'll be out for the season...

Pacman : I knew you were my type of person... Good doing business with you...

*pacman wakes up from his dream, its the morning of the meeting... He thinks to himself... why not give it a try???

packers11
03-28-2007, 09:41 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/03/28/titans.jones.ap/index.html

Jones will fight any NFL punishment
Posted: Wednesday March 28, 2007 7:40PM; Updated: Wednesday March 28, 2007 7:40PM

Pacman Jones will meet with NFL commissioner Roger Godell on Tuesday.
AP

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Meet Adam Jones. A speedy cornerback and punt returner who can turn a game with one play and is filled with all the self-confidence anyone could need. Nicknames? Pacman, and now, poster boy for all that's wrong with the NFL.

"It sure feels that way," attorney Manny Arora said of his client.

The legal defense of the Tennessee Titan kicked into high gear Wednesday after Las Vegas police recommended three charges for Jones' role in a Las Vegas strip club fight on Feb. 19. The immediate concern is what the NFL will do to the two-year pro.

And yes, his attorneys will fight league punishment for a man they say is working hard to grow up and learn from his mistakes.

"I think we'll see a better Adam. I just need to get him through this little storm here, and then we'll move on. The problem is the district attorney's probably going to want to arrest him because of the political pressure, and we have to work it out," Arora said.

Jones will have a meeting Tuesday with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to explain for himself the 10 separate incidents in which the player has talked with police since the Titans made him the first defensive player drafted in April 2005.

He has been arrested five times with no convictions.

But the Las Vegas incident could complicate other cases: a plea agreement in a Tennessee case of public intoxication could be revoked and a Georgia case from February 2006 that is pending from Fayetteville police who say Jones interfered with them while dropping off his girlfriend at her parents' home.

A Nevada prosecutor expects to receive a report from Las Vegas police by Monday and will decide if charges should be filed. Police want Jones charged with a felony count of coercion and misdemeanor counts of battery and threat. A decision on charges could take up to 10 days.

"It won't go at the bottom of the stack. It certainly won't be on the top of the stack either," Clark County District Attorney David Roger said.

The resulting publicity, especially the strip club fight that police say Jones incited around 5 a.m., has fans calling for the Titans to release him and the NFL to throw him out of the league.

Numerous NFL players have been arrested over the past two years. But it's Jones whose photo has been splashed repeatedly over the past few weeks whenever talk turns to the commissioner stiffening the league's personal conduct policy.

Arora said Jones has put himself in positions where he may have earned the title as the poster boy.

"A lot of places you go -- night clubs, strip clubs at 5 in the morning -- I'm thinking unsavory people are going to be there. Do you want to be in that position? That answer should be no," Arora said.

The attorney said the high school honors student who had an 1150 on his SAT is changing his life. He is tapping NFL veterans for advice, forcing his old friends to either clean up their acts or leave. He is concentrating on his family, his 1-year-old daughter and her mother, who is finishing college.

"If a shooting isn't a wakeup call, then nothing will be," Arora said.

Jones was raised by his mother, Deborah, and his grandmother after his father was killed when he was 6. His mother declined to talk to The Associated Press on Wednesday when contacted at her Georgia home but has said her son had to be tough growing up in Atlanta's housing projects.

He left West Virginia after his junior year and was only 21 when the Titans gave him millions of dollars as the sixth overall pick. But Jones started talking to police within a few days of being drafted.

Jones' attorneys spent Wednesday talking on radio and in interviews in Nashville asking for patience, defending a client who has become an easy target. Jones has been told not to speak publicly until his legal problems are cleared up.

Arora wants to see the evidence Las Vegas police have. Police said Monday they are working their investigation from the fight inside the club out to the shooting that left one man paralyzed.

"Based on the timetable, the NFL issue is what we have to deal with right now, then we have to deal with Las Vegas, which is obviously much more serious than any NFL policy because there's a potential jail sentence down the road if it does get that far," Arora said.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

digitaldean
03-28-2007, 10:50 PM
This lawyer must be in a dream world!!

He already has felony charges pending against him in Vegas where a guy got paralyzed in the shooting melee.

Mort said tonight on ESPN that the Titans expect him to be out 5-6 games for sure. If he has the felony charges stick, his 2007 season will never materialize.

I, for one, hope that the Pacmans, Tanks and Chris Henry get the book thrown at them. 2 of the 3 have violated terms of plea agreements that have kept them out of the slammer.

With the jack they make and the amount that advertisers spend on the NFL, advertisers must be pressuring the NFL so it doesn't become the National Felons League.

Tarlam!
03-29-2007, 03:39 PM
I, for one, hope that the Pacmans, Tanks and Chris Henry get the book thrown at them.()

With the jack they make and the amount that advertisers spend on the NFL()

What a typicaly inhibited opinion.

I think, if I recall, you were aslo loudly against K-Rob.

I am sorry for picking on your response, but it happened to be there. Nothing personal.

Most people here on this board were born into relatively "normal" environments. Most people here have very little idea of what people like Jones or Johnson went through growing up and then landing as instant multi millionaires in a world mostly out of their control.

There is no school they go to to learn the skills necessary. And, if I look at most wonderlics, they're not too bright en gro.

Dean, you think "Jack they make" is reason enough for them to be straight up? Ever heard of ENRON?

Money has little to do with being straight. And most of the good people on this board cheat on their taxes if they can, or, run a light or do something that's "wrong".

So the guy threw 80 k at a stripper. How many minutes does he have to work to earn 80 k again? For him, it's like us throwing 10 bucks.

Until you go rags to riches, like I did, you'll never ever understand how easy it is to go riches to rags. Like I did.

Partial
03-29-2007, 03:46 PM
^ look at this guy!!!

swede
03-29-2007, 04:02 PM
So the guy threw 80 k at a stripper. How many minutes does he have to work to earn 80 k again? For him, it's like us throwing 10 bucks.

Until you go rags to riches, like I did, you'll never ever understand how easy it is to go riches to rags. Like I did.

With all due respect Tar, one goes from riches to rags much more quickly than need be when throwing 80 Gs at the strippers as a spot of weekly fun. And considering an innocent man was paralyzed by a bullet that in all likelihood came from a bullet that Pacman paid for, the incident is not simply a free expression issue as you seem to so dismiss it.

And, further, if an individual athlete such as Tiger Woods started shit like this, Buick and Nike would haul his ass in for a talk and pull back a lot of cash for reneging on contractual obligations that would directly harm their companies.

Why shouldn't NFL players collectively be held to a modicum of personal responsibility and decency? Especially considering that the players' money, after all, substantially comes from the league's ability to market the product on television and elsewhere.

Koren Robinson, unlike the other clowns, is already serving his period of dismissal and may never be reinstated. I have never suggested that his punishment was unjust. His punishment follows league guidelines. I simply ask that more league guidelines be agreed upon in order to hold accountable the wee minority of criminal element in the league for illegal actions.

I'd be held responsible in my job were I to conduct myself so poorly.

Other than that, how's it going? We miss your posting you globetrotting business boy Aussie, you!

pbmax
03-29-2007, 09:25 PM
This report is a nice whitewashing done probably at the behest of the agent and lawyers. What they fail to mention is that Pacman isn't going down for Vegas, but for sheer stupidity.

There are no felony charges pending against him. The police have recommended them, but the DA has to file them before they are anything but press release.

What he WILL get suspended for is failing to report to the team and league two of the five arrests, the ones in question happening last year.

Its part of the CBA and his contract that any arrest, for any infraction, must be reported to officials. He didn't do that, and he's going to be on the receiving end of a suspension.

Tarlam!
03-30-2007, 01:39 PM
^ look at this guy!!!

Wow Partial, since I left you've learned to write words and don't just use regurgitated syllabels!

Good for you!

Your babysitter might be up for a raise!

Fritz
03-30-2007, 01:50 PM
I try to consider these situations in terms of employer/employee relations. If an employee gets into legal trouble that does not directly affect that person's ability to be at work, on the job, does the employer have a right to punish the employee? Say for example I get a drunk-driving ticket (God forbid) but I can still manage to get to work, and I don't show up to my job with alcohol on my breath or person. does my employer have a "right" to fire me for my legal, non-work-related trouble?

Does an employer have the right to impose a code of conduct that would be in force outside of the workplace? If I am good at my job but am a buffoon putside of work, does an employer have the right to demand I cease my antics?

Tarlam!
03-30-2007, 01:51 PM
... 1* need be when throwing 80 Gs at the strippers as a spot of weekly fun
...2*And considering an innocent man was paralyzed by a bullet that in all likelihood came from a bullet that Pacman paid for
...3 * the incident is not simply a free expression issue as you seem to so dismiss it.

...3* if an individual athlete such as Tiger Woods...
...* Buick and Nike would haul his ass in for a talk

Dear Swede, nice to chat again, you bring up a lot of points and I allowed myself to edit for ease of response:

1. What he does with his version of my 10 bucks is up to him.
2. He may have paid for the bullets, so what. Did he pull the trigger? Are you judge and jury based on a press clipping? Come on Swede!
3. Thanks for saying "seem". I am saying, this kid any many like him just don't know how to deal with the fulfillment of the dream they have had all life long. We see it over and over and over. Apparently, Pacman is a high character guy. But you know what, by throwing him in jail or cutting off his livelihood, you won't deter anybody. Education is the answer.

Here's my argument! There are a bunch of sick rich Moslims that created the War on Terror by running aircratf they had stolen (full of passengers) into buildings full of people and they are prepared to kill millions. THE ONLY THING DRIVING THAT is their eduction, call it brainwashing. It aint money.

3. Tiger grew up in a Country Club. No contest.
4. If Tiger is winning, they don't care. If the Star is winning, the fans remain loyal, he is omnipotent. And Buick and Nike agree.

Thanks again Swede, I think you're one of the best cyberland creatures out there!

PS My spell check is broke!

MJZiggy
03-30-2007, 01:55 PM
I thought the problem was not that he threw the $80G, but that he wanted it back.

Fritz
03-30-2007, 02:03 PM
I believe you are correct.

the_idle_threat
04-02-2007, 06:33 AM
Tank Johnson, Pac-Man Jones Killed While Arguing Over Who Inspired NFL Code Of Conduct

March 29, 2007 | | Onion Sports

CHICAGO—The short, turbulent, and controversial lives of NFL cornerback Adam "Pac-Man" Jones and defensive tackle Terry "Tank" Johnson ended in a Chicago-area strip club last Tuesday night when an argument over which player had the greatest influence on the NFL's proposed code of conduct escalated into horrific but predictable violence. "We already had the club under surveillance as a possible hub for drug dealing, arms trading, prostitution, gambling, and counterfeiting, so when Jones and Johnson arrived around 11 p.m. we weren't surprised," FBI agent Ronald Murchowski told reporters on the scene. "They had no sooner ordered their bodyguards to throw money on the stage when the question of who had in fact inspired the new NFL player-conduct policies brought them to blows, stabbings, personal arson, and finally, gunplay." The NFL has not yet announced how it would deal with such tragedies in the future under the proposed "Jones/Johnson" or "Johnson/Jones" rules.

Little Whiskey
04-02-2007, 10:54 PM
I thought the problem was not that he threw the $80G, but that he wanted it back.

not that he wanted it back, but how he GOT it back.

fritz here is the thing. if you worked for a company or were the public face of a company then your dwi would be called into question when it came to your employment status. it would also be in your contract, as i imagine it is in all players contracts.

MJZiggy
04-04-2007, 10:28 AM
NFL | Goodell could issue lifetime bans for player misconduct
Wed, 4 Apr 2007 08:07:36 -0700

ESPN.com reports NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's new player conduct policy could allow him to issue lifetime bans to players involved in serious criminal activity, according to the Washington Post. NFL players' association executive director Gene Upshaw told the paper in an interview that under the new policy, a first-time offender would have to undergo counseling and be placed on probation and might be fined. A second-time offender could face suspension should his infraction be considered severe.

It should be interesting the first time they do that.