PDA

View Full Version : Best Place To Live In The USA

Partial
03-28-2007, 10:10 PM
What do you guys think is the best city to live in in the country in terms of weather, economy, job opportunities, education system, and if you are going to raise a family?

Just curious as to what you all think!

digitaldean
03-28-2007, 10:28 PM
For the full-time profession I am in (printing-related business), the Fox Valley (area between Green Bay and Oshkosh) is probably one of the best in the country. Highest concentration of printers are within a 250-mile radius of Chicago.

Job opportunities are pretty decent (even though some firms are downsizing). Pay for the most part is pretty good for the more technical printing careers. Cost of living could be a little better, but overall I can't complain.

Though there may not be as many entertainment opportunities as some of the areas of the country, the Fox Valley does have quite a bit to offer.

The crime rate has gone up somewhat, but nowhere near any of the metro areas. I don't have to worry as much about violent crime. Life here may be a little sheltered vs. the rest of the nation, but that's not all bad. In raising a family, kids grow up too quick anyway.

MJZiggy
03-28-2007, 10:37 PM
Well, considering you are in computers, you might want to think about Northern Virginia as there are jobs to be had (especially with the Fed close by); the weather is fairly temperate and though you do still have winter, it's not like Wis.; The educational system is about the best in the country and there is history and open land not too far away. You can say most of the same things about Maryland which actually has more open space than NV and is packed less densely. The downsides are that traffic is a bitch (especially in NoVa) and the cost of living is high.

Freak Out
03-28-2007, 10:49 PM
The west is the best.

digitaldean
03-28-2007, 10:58 PM
The west is the best.

Been to Denver several times.

If I had to pick a metropolitan area to live, that would be it.

Downtown is pretty cool (Larimer Square and area by Coors Field is a blast), mountains aren't far away for some fun, too.

I'd just have to see that @^&*()!?/ Super Bowl XXXII champions banner flying at Mile High!

Scott Campbell
03-28-2007, 11:13 PM
The west is the best.

Been to Denver several times.

If I had to pick a metropolitan area to live, that would be it.

Downtown is pretty cool (Larimer Square and area by Coors Field is a blast), mountains aren't far away for some fun, too.

I'd just have to see that @^&*()!?/ Super Bowl XXXII champions banner flying at Mile High!

I agree with Freak Out. The Intermountain region is my favorite part of the country. If in CO, I'd much rather be off the front range and up in the mountains.

digitaldean
03-28-2007, 11:15 PM
I agree with Freak Out. The Intermountain region is my favorite part of the country. If in CO, I'd much rather be off the front range and up in the mountains.

Some friends of mine recommended cities in the foothills of the Rockies. What are your thoughts?

HarveyWallbangers
03-28-2007, 11:17 PM
So, weather is a high priority?

Scott Campbell
03-28-2007, 11:25 PM

Some friends of mine recommended cities in the foothills of the Rockies. What are your thoughts?

Pretty much any of them. You can drive into town anytime you like without having to live there. Evergreen is nice. I'd love to live in any of the ski towns or resort areas - except the ones right on the Interstate like Vail.

Partial
03-28-2007, 11:35 PM

I guess. I was just curious as to what you guys think. I do enjoy warm climate, though.

HarveyWallbangers
03-29-2007, 12:22 AM
The nicest cities I've been to are Nashville, Seattle (if you can handle the rain), Denver, and Charlotte. The job markets in Seattle, Denver, and Charlotte are usually very good.

MJZiggy
03-29-2007, 07:30 AM
Charlotte works. I wouldn't be able to handle the twang in Nashville (sorry, LW)

BallHawk
03-29-2007, 07:33 AM
Yeah, Charlotte, NC is a great city. Over the last 10 years or so it has undergone a whole transformation. The downtown is very modern and you're only two hours away from the Smokey Mountains, which are a beautiful mountain range. You're also only about an hour from Lake Wiley, which is a great recreational family place. We almost moved there, but my Dad got the job in Richmond, so we're moving to Virginia.

Partial
03-29-2007, 09:14 AM
Man, that kinda stinks that your fam is moving when you're in HS. That'd be a difficult time to move and start over.

GBRulz
03-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Charlotte works. I wouldn't be able to handle the twang in Nashville (sorry, LW)

twang? What do you mean?

I have friends that live in Nashville and I visit as often as possible. It's one of the best cities I've ever been to for live music. ALL kinds of music. I cannot stand country, which is what alot of people stereotype this city as. They also boast the Nashville Packer Backers Club who are some of the finest group that I've ever partied with!

MJZiggy
03-29-2007, 10:48 AM
(*I was kidding...)

oregonpackfan
03-29-2007, 10:58 AM

Yes, Harvey, as you get older, weather is a priority!

I went to a Packer game in December a couple of years ago and froze my butt even though I was born and raised in northern Wisconsin and wore the right layers and fabric of clothes!

I am partial to the weather of the Pacific Northwest. It is rarely too hot nor too cold. It's humidity is much lower than the eastern half of the country. Yes, it rains more frequently out here but it usually is a gentle rain.

The geography of the Pacific Northwest is very appealing. In Oregon or Washington, you have the coast, the mountains, the fertile valleys as well as the arid terrains.

The relative absence of bugs, particularly mosquitos, is noticeably apparent in the northwest. On a couple of family reunions in Wisconsin, my kids were appalled at the number of mosquitos in the midwest!

Seattle is an attractive large city but its traffic is horrendous. That fact of life in that city would be enough to keep me from moving there.

Cars last a lot longer out here. Without the extreme cold and salted roads, there is far less expense and upkeep in maintaining a car or truck.

My heart will always be in Wisconsin but I enjoy living here in the Pacific Northwest.

GoPackGo
03-29-2007, 11:55 AM
Tempe, Scottsdale, and Gilbert in Arizona are pretty sweet!

Partial
03-29-2007, 11:59 AM
Packface are you Jpopp?

oregonpackfan
03-29-2007, 12:38 PM

Packface,

I keep hearing things about the raw beauty of Sedona, AZ. What do you think about that city?

the_idle_threat
03-29-2007, 12:56 PM
Best place?

In a van ... down by the river! :D

GoPackGo
03-29-2007, 01:33 PM

Packface,

I keep hearing things about the raw beauty of Sedona, AZ. What do you think about that city?

Sedona is the Wisconsin Dells of Arizona. It is very beautiful but there are lots of people. Its definatley a place to see for yourself.

Theres also a weird group of people that believe in some weird things up in Sedona

check them out here:

http://www.sedonanewagecenter.com/Vortex/vortex_tours.htm

Zool
03-29-2007, 01:41 PM
Best place?

In a van ... down by the river! :DThat spot is already occupied.

oregonpackfan
03-29-2007, 02:07 PM

Packface,

Sedona is the Wisconsin Dells of Arizona. It is very beautiful but there are lots of people. Its definatley a place to see for yourself.

Theres also a weird group of people that believe in some weird things up in Sedona

check them out here:

http://www.sedonanewagecenter.com/Vortex/vortex_tours.htm

Whoa, Packface!

That was one incredible website! I'll have to do some research on which type of vortex applies to me! :lol:

Freak Out
03-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Partial asked about the best "City", so is that anything over 200,000 or so? I really enjoy Portland Oregon, Fort Collins CO, and Seattle. Seattle is just a tad to large for my tastes but it is a great place. San Fransisco is very nice.
All have different tax structures so you have to take that into consideration. Austin Texas is cool.......if you can handle the heat and some of the Politics Texas can be a hoot. Hard for an Alaskan to say that. Lots of nice places in our wonderful country. :D

justanotherpackfan
03-29-2007, 06:16 PM
I've been to Honolulu and it's pretty nice. 8-) I like the climate in Rapid City, SD a lot but if you travel in any direction out of the city there isn't really too much to see. Humidity is low and the weather feels nice.

Freak Out
03-29-2007, 06:58 PM
Hilo is a nice town.

Charles Woodson
03-30-2007, 06:21 AM
It is extremely expensive but Miami is a great place to live. I have never seen so many nice cars any where else. My brother went to school in Texas and it was a nice place when i visited him.

packinpatland
03-30-2007, 03:19 PM

Packface,

I don't intend any disrespect Packface, but the trio you mentioned are becoming too concrete and asphalt. Orange groves have been replaced with housing developments and the desert with more houses.

Now Sedona................that's a small piece of heaven.

Having said all that, the best place is still the east coast, perferably New England. Just wish it was closer to Lambeau instead of Gillette!!

GoPackGo
03-30-2007, 05:10 PM

Packface,

I don't intend any disrespect Packface, but the trio you mentioned are becoming too concrete and asphalt. Orange groves have been replaced with housing developments and the desert with more houses.

Now Sedona................that's a small piece of heaven.

100% true

Partial
03-30-2007, 05:26 PM
Evidentally Naperville, Ill is the 2nd best place to live in the country. Anyone have any comments on that?

packinpatland
03-30-2007, 05:30 PM
Evidentally Naperville, Ill is the 2nd best place to live in the country. Anyone have any comments on that?

Wouldn't that be considered 'enemy territory'?

Partial
03-30-2007, 05:31 PM

Wouldn't that be considered 'enemy territory'?

It sure would. I read it in Money Magazine I believe it was yesterday.

Little Whiskey
03-30-2007, 06:02 PM

twang? What do you mean?

I have friends that live in Nashville and I visit as often as possible. It's one of the best cities I've ever been to for live music. ALL kinds of music. I cannot stand They also boast the Nashville Packer Backers Club who are some of the ficountry, which is what alot of people stereotype this city as.nest group that I've ever partied with!

the same problem when people sterotype country music as TWANG, and drunk mommas and dogs dieing. :lol: if you listen to the words you will find that country music is about real life.

and now to a great place to live. I'd like the other side of the lake. rual life and nowhere near as cold, but much more snow, sandy beaches (no turds washing up on shore) calm water, no break waters on the other side. great place to raise a fam.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-20-2018, 09:59 AM
Yeah, Charlotte, NC is a great city. Over the last 10 years or so it has undergone a whole transformation. The downtown is very modern and you're only two hours away from the Smokey Mountains, which are a beautiful mountain range. You're also only about an hour from Lake Wiley, which is a great recreational family place. We almost moved there, but my Dad got the job in Richmond, so we're moving to Virginia.

Charlotte still a great city?

My lease expires in June, and I'm pondering whether or not to migrate to the Charlotte area. Unfortunately, I won't have a job waiting for me there, which means I would have to stay at the parent's til I find "gainful" employment (parents currently live in NC), which would make me just as miserable as I am currently here in cold, dark and dull Wisconsin.

I don't know anyone in Charlotte, and I don't know anything about the city, other than that it has a nice disc golf scene and a cocky African-American QB. Where the heck is Michele (one L) when you need her?

PS: Partial, if you need a competent accountant to cook your books, hit me up!

mraynrand
04-20-2018, 11:32 AM

Wait, I thought you were a professional burger-flipper. Plenty of opportunities in NC for that!

Anti-Polar Bear
04-20-2018, 11:54 AM
Wait, I thought you were a professional burger-flipper. Plenty of opportunities in NC for that!

Well, I hold duel degrees in accounting and economics, have passed the Wisconsin CPA exams. But I'm not a CPA cos I'm currently underemployed as a burger flipper (for the minimum-wage), so I lack the work experience to call myself a CPA. Much thanks to capitalism.

Should've majored in English. I fucked up. Wish I had a time-machine.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-22-2018, 01:07 PM
So does anyone have any current updates about Charlotte? Still a great city?

I'm torn between staying with the misery up here and facing the uncertainty down there. If I had gainful employment a-waiting down there, a no brainier, not that I'm gainfully employed up here. I'm worried about the grass not being greener down there. Plus, absence gainful employment = no DirecTV = Bars to catch Pack games, which I detest.

Deputy Nutz
04-23-2018, 08:18 AM
I love Charlotte, I go down there once every year or so. The overall politics in North Carolina are a bit backwards, but Charlotte is not. Huge banking community, and nicer than Atlanta.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-23-2018, 11:01 AM
I love Charlotte, I go down there once every year or so. The overall politics in North Carolina are a bit backwards, but Charlotte is not. Huge banking community, and nicer than Atlanta.

Thanks, Nutz. Your post gives me hope.

Don't wanna be up here any longer. Don't wanna move back in with the folks down there for who knows how long. The Charlotte area is supposedly a hot spot for disc golf, so I should have no problems making new friends. But a grown man moving back in with his folks? That's depressing as fuck.

I feel trapped. Would go see a shrink but my current health insurance sucks.

To be, or not to be? That is the question—
Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And, by opposing, end them?

wist43
04-24-2018, 06:09 AM

My lease expires in June, and I'm pondering whether or not to migrate to the Charlotte area. Unfortunately, I won't have a job waiting for me there, which means I would have to stay at the parent's til I find "gainful" employment (parents currently live in NC), which would make me just as miserable as I am currently here in cold, dark and dull Wisconsin.

I don't know anyone in Charlotte, and I don't know anything about the city, other than that it has a nice disc golf scene and a cocky African-American QB. Where the heck is Michele (one L) when you need her?

You should move to San Francisco... keep you lefties bottled up in one area where you do less damage.

woodbuck27
05-01-2018, 10:09 PM

Tank it seems like a pretty 'Funky Place to me' . My advice if you head on down there. Be really cooland pass yourself off as 'a Canuck' and you'll be busy.

How best to do that: Use the term Eh a lot.

Never drink Bourbon because your 'a Stella Artois' Guy. :glug:

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/69426/dating-scene-in-charlotte-survey/

“The dating scene is unpromising at best. The hook-up scene on the other hand is an A+++.”

“Charlotte is weird for dating. It’s like there are too many women so it’s ultra competitive or maybe guys just don’t want to settle down.”

“If you’re in the scene for fun then you’re in the right place but if you’re looking for a meaningful relationship you’ve got your work cut out for you. Charlotte has become very superficial and everybody is waiting for something better to come along than focusing on what they have in front of them. I am just as guilty in this, but it is a product of the environment we are in.”

“If I meet one more guy who works in finance and whose primary hobby is drinking I will lose my mind.”

“I dated most everyone who had both a face and a job on Tinder. I loved it. I met my boyfriend of two years on that app. I think the dating scene is exceptional despite what all my friends would tell you. It’s all about taking chances. Bonus: Men are typically not photogenic so you’re usually in for a pleasant surprise when you meet them.

“I’m really not into the bro’d out, preppy, Vineyard Vines type. Blech.”

woodbuck27
05-01-2018, 10:15 PM
NO. 1 in a 2018 Study:

https://fm.cnbc.com/applications/cnbc.com/resources/img/editorial/2017/07/26/104611949-GettyImages-538805081.600x400.jpg?v=1501106191

The Music City, Austin, Texas.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/10/us-news-world-report-the-10-best-places-to-live-in-the-us-in-2018.html

texaspackerbacker
05-01-2018, 10:42 PM
I live 65 miles north of Austin, and I'm here to tell ya, it's about the worst place to live in a perfectly wonderful state. A lot of the reason has to do with things that would need to be discussed in FYI.

call_me_ishmael
05-02-2018, 12:56 AM
Everyone universally loves Austin but I hear the traffic is miserable since the city has outgrown the infrastructure.

Deputy Nutz
05-02-2018, 08:06 AM
If Tex says Austin sucks, then you know it's a hell of a place!!! But I get it, Austin seems similar to Madison and I can't spend more than 2 or 3 days in that city. I know that Austin is bigger than Madison but there is no way that Austin is more liberal than Madison.

texaspackerbacker
05-02-2018, 08:12 AM
It's the people (well, a lot of them anyway) that make it relatively much much worse than the rest of Texas. You, Nutz, and CMI would fit right in.

Deputy Nutz
05-02-2018, 08:48 AM
Don't you dare lump me in with that guy. I don't want to live any where near him.

Radagast
08-24-2018, 03:52 PM
Most will reply to this thread that where they live is best for whatever reason they feel supports their argument. Rural folks like the country like, while city folk like their cities. Some like the unchanging seasons that Florida and California offer, yet for others the seasons are what make make life special. Most of America live within 100 miles of the coast. Others love the mountainous areas in the East or the West. Some love the swamps, while some refuse to ever vacate the flood zones of the great rivers. For many, the cold snow filled winters are something of an annual comfort.
Regional areas like the South, the Mid-West, the North-East, or the South-West are where many have their roots and living anywhere else would just deny them of the foods/culture/weather/etc. that they are accustomed to. It matters little that they live in Tornado Alley or where great Fires are common or that they live where Hurricanes frequently visit.
What matters is that America is large and diverse enough to offer all the freedom to live where they feel they will be happy. Let us not look down on on this place over that place, as unique qualities may be found if we just look for them.

mraynrand
08-24-2018, 05:16 PM
Who dragged this thing back again. Reminds me of all the nice people who were smart enough to stop posting here.

texaspackerbacker
08-26-2018, 11:42 AM
That's kinda hypocritical, Rand, considering all the weird old threads better left dead that you drag back.

Radagast, you do a good job of identifying the trade off a lot of places between the good side and the bad. I doubt most people put their own place at the top of the list, but if it ain't somewhere near the top, why the hell not move?

mraynrand
08-26-2018, 02:09 PM
That's kinda hypocritical, Rand, considering all the weird old threads better left dead that you drag back.

I wasn't complaining about dragging the thread back. I was remarking about the people who posted in the thread who no longer post here and are missed.

You often get simple things totally wrong. Maybe I just write poorly worded crap. Maybe that's why people left. lol

Zool
08-26-2018, 09:27 PM
You often get simple things totally wrong. Maybe that's why people left. lol

Yar