PDA

View Full Version : Too bad GB couldn't host SuperBowl

LL2
03-29-2007, 09:20 AM
It’s too bad GB would never be allowed to host a SB again. Every broadcaster and many players always say how unique Lambeau Field is and that it has a certain mystique. Yes, GB doesn’t have the night life and Janet Jackson’s patsy would’ve froze to her nipple. GB could create a “fun” city within the city to cater to all the celebs and corporate honchos. The truth is the SB doesn’t attract the celebs like the NBA does for the All-star game and Finals. The NFL needs to have the SB in different sites other than Miami, NO, and LA every year.

Just a off topic other than the no news from the Packers on FA and the draft.

The Business of Hosting the Super Bowl

Miami already boasts a healthy tourism economy, but will hosting Super

Bowl XLI affect the city's bottom line?

From: FastCompany.com | February 2007 | By: Kevin Ohannessian

With all of the media blitz, the merchandising opportunities, and the interest in the television commercials, there is no mistaking that the Super Bowl is a huge deal. But how does the big game help its hosting city's economy? One need only look at Detroit, last year's host,
Before the Super Bowl came to Detroit, the city and the NFL had great expectations. "We projected $300 million. And the study I saw said $261 million--which is a significant impact for the region," says Jon Krieger, Spokesperson for the Detroit Regional Chamber. Krieger cites, "Super Bowl XL!!!" an economic impact study written by Dr. Patrick James Rishe, an economics professor at Webster University in St. Louis, MO, who studies the economic impact of sporting events and then posts the results on SportsImpacts.com.
Rishe estimated $260.7 million based on estimated total spending. Removing spending with non-local businesses from that estimate results in only $166.7 million. And of that number, only $104.1 can be attributed to direct spending. The report also estimated that 20 to 25% of spending could be removed from that estimate as spending that would've occurred had Detroit not hosted Super Bowl XL. This puts the actual impact closer to $116.7 to $125 million, and down to $72.8 to $78 million of direct spending. This number comes close to the estimate of another professor, Victor Matheson of the College of the Holy Cross, who estimated that the direct impact for Detroit would be $30 to $90 million.
So what do these numbers forecast for Miami? "We expect $250 to $300 million dollars," says NFL Spokesperson Brian McCarthy. Ginny Gutierrez of The Greater Miami Convention & Visitors Bureau expects more. "We estimate a $350 to $400 million dollar impact," she says. But professor Matheson still expects a $30 to $90 million economic impact for the city, the same range he forecasted for Detroit. "I expect the effect on Florida to be even less than Detroit. It is already a winter destination because it is warm, unlike Detroit which is cold in winter," he says. Meanwhile, Dr. Rishe's estimates a greater difference between Detroit and Miami. "The gross economic impact will likely be higher...you'll see a higher volume of spending per travel party with better weather. The net impact, however, may be lower. Traditionally, the tourism/visitation rate to Miami this time of year is decent, and though I don't doubt that the Super Bowl will create a spike in hotel occupancy rates, that spike is likely less than what Detroit experienced," he says.
McCarthy counters these economic estimates. "We don't see these professors at the Super Bowl, in the restaurants, seeing the impact," he says. Host cities plan other visitor events that weekend to increase business. Detroit's big event was the Motown Winter Blast, a festival that included iceskating, sledding, concerts, restaurant specials, and other events. And Miami created the NFL Experience, an interactive football event, as well as concerts, art shows, a beach volleyball tournament, and more. McCarthy also touts the economic success of the NFL's Emerging Business Program, which connects minority-owned and women-owned businesses of the local economy with the vendors, sponsors and football teams involved with the Super Bowl. "We encourage them, when they need services on a local level, to engage these companies," McCarthy says. The Program has been around for 12 years and has helped over 500 businesses.
One such business is Cater the Event, a Miami catering company that fed NFL Films, security people, and catered the official NFL Tailgate Party. Susan Bleemer, the event coordinator for Cater the Event, attests that the Emerging Business Program works. "It was definitely a plus. They really did stick to their guns and hired local people," she says. As far as Bleemer is concerned NFL's Emerging Business Program will have make a positive economic impact on business. "We have a good jump on the year," she says. Other companies that participated in the program feel differently. Brenda L. Hill-Riggins, president of MARS Contractors Inc., a company that assisted in the construction of the venue for the Tailgate Party, feels that the impact on future business will be greater than the actual economic results of working with the NFL. "Financially the economic impact will be small, but the exposure is far greater," she says.
Many people believe the financial gains of hosting the Super Bowl aren't crucial. "We showed the world what Detroit offers. This is a huge benefit that isn't captured in those economic models," Krieger says. The city of Miami's Gutierrez expresses a similar opinion. "We also look at the enormous value of the media coverage. We could not afford to pay for it--it is invaluable for us to be hosting a Super Bowl," she says.
The economists are sticking to their guns. "The city will say, 'The Super Bowl was good for us and it will produce future revenue.' I never heard of a business relocating because the CEO loved the Super Bowl. You don't see Bill Gates relocating Microsoft," professor Matheson says.

oregonpackfan
03-29-2007, 10:41 AM
I agree that as far as the nostalgic and historical aspects, Lambeau would be a spot for the Super Bowl.

Logistically, however, the Lambeau Field and Green Bay location would be a nightmare!

The Green Bay area does not have enough hotels, banquet halls, limo services, etc. to host a Super Bowl.

The weather of late January could pose huge problems. What would happen if Green Bay had a huge snowstorm? I realize northern Wisconsin, in general, and Green Bay, in particular, is much better equipped to handle snowstorms than most of the country.Large snowfalls still would provide big hurdles for transportation and parking even if Green Bay residents brought out their snowblowers and shovels.

Another aspect of the weather would be the cold. Wisconsin residents know how to dress for the cold. Most Americans in the southern half of the country have no clue how to prepare for it. Would the emergency rooms of Green Bay hospitals be prepared to handle all the cases of frostbite?

Sorry, fellow Packers fan, the Super Bowl at Green Bay will never happen in modern times.

mngolf19
03-29-2007, 01:48 PM
The truth is the SB doesn’t attract the celebs like the NBA does for the All-star game and Finals.

I don't agree with that LL. The NBA has to hype celebs showing up because they are in 3rd place in sporting events in this country. They also don't have nearly the attendance per game. I have to believe there are way more celebs at an SB, the NFL just doesn't have the need to promote that aspect.

Merlin
03-29-2007, 02:00 PM
I agree that as far as the nostalgic and historical aspects, Lambeau would be a spot for the Super Bowl.

Logistically, however, the Lambeau Field and Green Bay location would be a nightmare!

The Green Bay area does not have enough hotels, banquet halls, limo services, etc. to host a Super Bowl.

The weather of late January could pose huge problems. What would happen if Green Bay had a huge snowstorm? I realize northern Wisconsin, in general, and Green Bay, in particular, is much better equipped to handle snowstorms than most of the country.Large snowfalls still would provide big hurdles for transportation and parking even if Green Bay residents brought out their snowblowers and shovels.

Another aspect of the weather would be the cold. Wisconsin residents know how to dress for the cold. Most Americans in the southern half of the country have no clue how to prepare for it. Would the emergency rooms of Green Bay hospitals be prepared to handle all the cases of frostbite?

Sorry, fellow Packers fan, the Super Bowl at Green Bay will never happen in modern times.

I disagree with the statement that Green Bay doesn't have the hotels, etc. They do have a professional football team that sells out every game. They have hosted the NFC championship game before and that all went fine. In respect to it being a boring city, I would argue that it might do some of the NFL faithful good to see that you don't have to be in a major city to be successful or to live.

I do however agree that the weather will always prevent this from happening. Even though Minnesota got to host one inside the baggy dome (arguably the ugliest stadium left in the NFL).

The rest of the country already thinks that Wisconsin is freezing cold 365 days a year, I am sure that IF it were to happen, the fans would suffer less from frostbite and more from heat rash because of them over reacting and putting on more clothing then would be needed.

esoxx
03-29-2007, 05:52 PM
It’s too bad GB would never be allowed to host a SB again.

I must've missed the first one they hosted.

cpk1994
03-29-2007, 08:59 PM
The truth is the SB doesn’t attract the celebs like the NBA does for the All-star game and Finals.

I don't agree with that LL. The NBA has to hype celebs showing up because they are in 3rd place in sporting events in this country. They also don't have nearly the attendance per game. I have to believe there are way more celebs at an SB, the NFL just doesn't have the need to promote that aspect.

What do you mean by "nearly the attendance per game"? If you are comparing the NFL to the NBA on attendance per game its apples to oranges. Just curious.

Rastak
03-29-2007, 09:46 PM

I disagree with the statement that Green Bay doesn't have the hotels, etc. They do have a professional football team that sells out every game. They have hosted the NFC championship game before and that all went fine. In respect to it being a boring city, I would argue that it might do some of the NFL faithful good to see that you don't have to be in a major city to be successful or to live.

I do however agree that the weather will always prevent this from happening. Even though Minnesota got to host one inside the baggy dome (arguably the ugliest stadium left in the NFL).

The rest of the country already thinks that Wisconsin is freezing cold 365 days a year, I am sure that IF it were to happen, the fans would suffer less from frostbite and more from heat rash because of them over reacting and putting on more clothing then would be needed.

In Feb?

swede
03-30-2007, 10:12 AM
I disagree with the statement that Green Bay doesn't have the hotels, etc. They do have a professional football team that sells out every game. They have hosted the NFC championship game before and that all went fine.

GB is a broad-shouldered, blue-collar community that has done the impossible by supporting an NFL team at a truly major league level despite the fact that its population doesn't even hit 200,000 people.

I quite proud of our underdog status, but Green Bay can not become a viable Super Bowl venue by merely trying harder than the other guys.

The only advantage we have is a legendary stadium and a proud tradition.

Merlin
03-30-2007, 11:13 AM
[
In Feb?

That's what I meant by the weather. People want to party outside and wear bikini's at the Super Bowl (even though girls wear them @ -15 @ Lambeau anyway).

My brother used to live in another state and when they asked him where he was from he said "Wisconsin", they said "Yeah I know that, what state?"

Wisonsinites are probably one of the most misunderstood and most stereotyped group of people I know.

Someone should thread of Wisconsin Stereotypes!