PDA

View Full Version : Who is left? How much would you pay them and Why?

Fosco33
03-29-2007, 10:02 AM
Ok, I'm kinda sick of all my friends complaining about the Packers lack of moves in FA. I haven't seen many players that were worth the cost to sign (or resign).

So, I pose a question or two for the crew?

What players are left that you'd be willing to sign (potentially at above market value)?

retailguy
03-29-2007, 11:02 AM
It has been stated that there are very few players left in Free Agency that would be "starting material" on this team, and I'd tend to agree.

I would not support "overpaying" for anyone, UNLESS, we were filling our last hole on the team, and we won't be.

Let the young guys play, at this point. 2007 will be played with SEVERAL holes, even with a great draft.

Partial
03-29-2007, 11:03 AM
Chris Brown for a year would be a solid signing.

I would pick up a few of Atlanta's linemen leftovers come training camp. I think TT has got to be thinking the same thing as well.

That's all i've got.

packers11
03-29-2007, 11:07 AM
Lavar Arrington after he passes his physical and we can check out his knee...

If he can come back from his injury, he could be a beast...

(he won't be able to ask for that much money, so T.T. might be able to get him for CHEAP)

retailguy
03-29-2007, 11:08 AM

I would pick up a few of Atlanta's linemen leftovers come training camp. I think TT has got to be thinking the same thing as well.

That's all i've got.

Umm. I feel like I'm arguing your points here, but, what the hell.

You'd rather have CHRIS BROWN running, instead of Morency or a rookie?

With holes at TE, WR, and FB, we're going to "invest" in Chris Brown? Why? We won't be taking a "shot" at anything with those holes. Shouldn't we let the young guys develop?

I'm not sure Thompson is thinking anything along these lines, and I agree that there is not much left.

pittstang5
03-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Lavar Arrington after he passes his physical and we can check out his knee...

If he can come back from his injury, he could be a beast...

(he won't be able to ask for that much money, so T.T. might be able to get him for CHEAP)

Hmm. I forgot all about Arrington. I think the Pack dodged a big bullet last year when Arrington opted to sign with the Giants. Given his injury history and problems with is knee(s), I'm thinking TT stays away.

Although, if he could come back from his injury, he would indeed be a beast. However, I think his days of playing are done.

Partial
03-29-2007, 11:31 AM

That's all i've got.

Umm. I feel like I'm arguing your points here, but, what the hell.

You'd rather have CHRIS BROWN running, instead of Morency or a rookie?

With holes at TE, WR, and FB, we're going to "invest" in Chris Brown? Why? We won't be taking a "shot" at anything with those holes. Shouldn't we let the young guys develop?

I'm not sure Thompson is thinking anything along these lines, and I agree that there is not much left.

My how the role has reversed. Next thing you know i'm going to be giving you advice on how to acquire wealth and save money! :P

They are gonna need a guy to run with Morency next year. Either as a compliment 1b back, or as a backup. Chris Brown is a good stop gap because I really hope they do not take Marshawn. I have a hunch he is going to be a trouble maker once he gets his payday. I say sign up brown for one year. No harm in that, right?

TT has got to be thinking the OL needs depth. They've got a solid foundation and now they need to re-enforce it, so to speak. Atlanta is going to be letting go some linemen I would imagine. Why not bring in some experience to at least compete and help coach the youngens, or at the very least sit on the bench and collect a paycheck to serve as depth.

Guiness
03-29-2007, 11:36 AM
I'm agreeing with you Partial - I think Chris Brown is one of the few guys left out there who could definitely help us.

Decent veteran who's shown flashes. Add some depth to the backfield, and push Morency. He shouldn't break the bank at this point.

Did he ever destroy us a couple of years ago. Probably a career game for his.

HarveyWallbangers
03-29-2007, 12:54 PM
I think Brown would be a nice stopgap to pair with Morency and a rookie. Let's face it... we need two RBs. Arrington is done, and will likely retire. There isn't all that much left. We also need a WR, TE, and S--and I don't like what's available at those positions.

MadtownPacker
03-29-2007, 01:12 PM
I was one who wanted arrington over Woodson. Luckily Im just some dipshit poster on a forum and not the GM or the Pack would have got hosed.

Brown would be a good stopgap and having Morency share carriees might allow him to last the season.

woodbuck27
03-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Is Cory Dillon still out there?

Is Ken Hamlin still out there?

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-29-2007, 01:38 PM

Yes to Dillion

No to Hamlin

woodbuck27
03-29-2007, 01:52 PM

Yes to Dillion

No to Hamlin

Yes. I just saw that Ken Hamlin signed with 'the Boys'.

Merlin
03-29-2007, 01:54 PM
Chris Brown, eh, which Chris Brown are we going to get on which day? He's too inconsistent.

Cory Dillon never seems to age and he may be better for us in a limited carry role that he would be in. He has a good track record with every team he's played with. He would be worth signing as a stop gap, even a good mentor to our young RB core. Peterson is the only RB in the draft I have any interest in picking up. If he isn't there (which I doubt he will be), the rest of the class is mediocre. There may be a gem in the later rounds. Darius Walker might be a good pickup if he falls to the third but I suspect he will be gone early to mid second. Garrett Wolfe from Northern Illinois looks like a safe pick to and should be around whenever we pick.

woodbuck27
03-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Chris Brown, eh, which Chris Brown are we going to get on which day? He's too inconsistent.

Cory Dillon never seems to age and he may be better for us in a limited carry role that he would be in. He has a good track record with every team he's played with. He would be worth signing as a stop gap, even a good mentor to our young RB core. Peterson is the only RB in the draft I have any interest in picking up. If he isn't there (which I doubt he will be), the rest of the class is mediocre. There may be a gem in the later rounds. Darius Walker might be a good pickup if he falls to the third but I suspect he will be gone early to mid second. Garrett Wolfe from Northern Illinois looks like a safe pick to and should be around whenever we pick.

Cory Dillon has consistency and experience that we need.

He's had at least 12 TD's each of the last three seasons and is the short yardage banger that we need in a RB by committee approach.

Bretsky
03-29-2007, 05:22 PM
Ok, I'm kinda sick of all my friends complaining about the Packers lack of moves in FA. I haven't seen many players that were worth the cost to sign (or resign).

What players are left that you'd be willing to sign (potentially at above market value)?

I was one you'd be sick about. I'd have been fine with Griffin, Grant, Hamlin, Johnson at their current price tags. There isn't crap left, unfortunately.

esoxx
03-29-2007, 05:59 PM
There isn't crap left, unfortunately.

Actually, that's all that's really left...crap.

Fosco33
03-29-2007, 07:52 PM

I was one you'd be sick about. I'd have been fine with Griffin, Grant, Hamlin, Johnson at their current price tags. There isn't crap left, unfortunately.

Assuming every team in the league showed interest in those guys, only 4 teams would have any one of those players. Now, if there were 25 guys listed and we had 0 - then there's room to complain.

SD GB fan
03-29-2007, 07:56 PM
not sure about arrington. if we dodged a bulletin last year, are we really going to test our luck again this year with him? plus, i remember someone saying that his injury was pretty bad.

Guiness
03-29-2007, 08:53 PM
not sure about arrington. if we dodged a bulletin last year, are we really going to test our luck again this year with him? plus, i remember someone saying that his injury was pretty bad.

Big difference between last year and this. Last year, he was sought after, considered one of the top FA's out there, and was demanding a multi-year contract with a multi-million dollar bonus.

This year, I expect he could be had for vet minimum, and an invite to camp. Maybe a bit more, but not much. That's if he doesn't decide to hang them up so he has some chance of being able to keep up with his grandkids.

Don't beat yourself up too much Mad; the way I understood it, Packer management would've signed Arrington; it was his decision to go elsewhere...sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

Bretsky
03-29-2007, 09:58 PM

Assuming every team in the league showed interest in those guys, only 4 teams would have any one of those players. Now, if there were 25 guys listed and we had 0 - then there's room to complain.

That would be a pretty unfair assumption; Grant was going to be popular in FA. The others didn't garner a whole lot of interest.