PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys G Rivera likely to retire

packers11
03-29-2007, 11:03 AM
http://rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL

Cowboys G Marco Rivera, 34, is expected to announce his retirement after a second back surgery in January.

Rivera spoke earlier in the offseason about making a comeback, but that apparently won't happen. Packers GM Ted Thompson was vilified two years ago for not paying huge bucks to retain Rivera, but he turned into a major mistake by the Cowboys. Mar. 29 - 10:28 am et

Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Good move by T.T. but I hope he resigns with the packers for a day to retire as a packer player :(

ND72
03-29-2007, 11:09 AM
I'd like to see Dallas release him, and allow him to retire as a Packer, where he belongs.

retailguy
03-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Thompson was VILLIFIED over Rivera?

I don't remember that, at all. I'd agree if this was said about Wahle, but Rivera? I don't think so.

Having him retire as a Packer would be a nice gesture. For Henderson too, when the time comes.

Fritz
03-30-2007, 01:55 PM
Yes, people were painting little black frenchy mustaches on pictures of Ted when Rivera signed with the Cowboys. Villain!

cheesner
03-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Rivera spoke earlier in the offseason about making a comeback, but that apparently won't happen. Packers GM Ted Thompson was vilified two years ago for not paying huge bucks to retain Rivera, but he turned into a major mistake by the Cowboys. Mar. 29 - 10:28 am et

Well, at least Jerry Jones learned from his mistake and made a more prudent signing with Leonard Davis, the fat underachieving bust, for a cap friendly $23M/year.

pbmax
03-30-2007, 08:27 PM
I would agree with this because at the time, people were up on arms that we "let" Rivera and Wahle go and only got Klemm/O'Dwyer/Ruegg. in return.

Later, after Rivera injured his back and later his leg, did people drop the duo and focused on Wahle.

Not saying people were equally unhappy over each, but both were thrown back in his face. Figuratively :)

Thompson was VILLIFIED over Rivera?

I don't remember that, at all. I'd agree if this was said about Wahle, but Rivera? I don't think so.

Having him retire as a Packer would be a nice gesture. For Henderson too, when the time comes.

Bretsky
03-30-2007, 08:34 PM
I'd agree with Cliffy in this regard

Starts are hard to develop; when you are fortunate enough to draft and develop them you can't let them go. Wahle was border line in that category.
I certainly griped about letting them both go, but also noted if possible Wahle was the one to try to keep. The solution would have almost had to have involved releasing Bubba Franks and some challenging restructures if we were willing to go that route

retailguy
03-30-2007, 09:05 PM
I would agree with this because at the time, people were up on arms that we "let" Rivera and Wahle go and only got Klemm/O'Dwyer/Ruegg. in return.

Later, after Rivera injured his back and later his leg, did people drop the duo and focused on Wahle.

Not saying people were equally unhappy over each, but both were thrown back in his face. Figuratively :)

Hmm. I didn't recall this... I guess I spend too much time in here, I sure didn't bitch about Rivera, especially after the 9m bonus... No way he was worth that.

That being said, classy, classy guy. I really hope they let him retire as a Packer.

Merlin
04-01-2007, 11:02 PM
I think people were more upset that he let two starting guards go. There is no way we should have signed him for the contract that Dallas gave him. Injuries are always hindsight. He may or may not have gotten injured playing for the Packers in an offense he knew. That being said, I would hope he wants to retire a Packer.