PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 safeties in 2007 draft

woodbuck27
03-29-2007, 03:35 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/10095914

Vic's picks: Top 5 safeties in draft

By Vic Carucci
National Editor, NFL.com

See also Carucci's top 5: QB | RB | WR | TE | FB | OT | C | G | DE | DT | OLB | ILB | CB | S

(March 29, 2007) -- One man's ranking of the top five safeties in the NFL draft:

1. LaRon Landry, LSU

Positives: Size (6-foot-plus, 213 pounds), speed, and athleticism. ... Excellent instincts. ... Able to cover tight ends one-on-one. ... Hard hitter. ... Shows superb anticipation and isn't easily fooled by play fakes or misdirection plays. ... Toughness. ... Competitiveness.

Negatives: Very few, although he will sometimes get too carried away with launching himself at an opponent and fail to make contact.

2. Reggie Nelson, Florida (Underclassman)

Positives: Size (5-11-plus, 198 pounds), speed, and athleticism. ... Can cover tight ends and slot receivers one-on-one. ... Hard hitter. ... Plays with aggressiveness, especially in run support. ... Shows excellent discipline; doesn't bite on play fakes. ... Does a nice job of reading the quarterback. ... Outstanding hands and often comes up with the tough interception.

Negatives: Not many, although he occasionally gets a bit too aggressive when attacking the line of scrimmage against the run.

3. Brandon Meriweather, Miami (Fla.)

At his size, (5-10 5/8, 195 pounds) Brandon Meriweather might be better suited to play cornerback.
Positives: Speed, athleticism. ... Able to cover receivers man-to-man. ... Tremendous instincts. ... Avoids biting on play fakes. ... Excellent hands; can make difficult interceptions. ... Plays with aggressiveness and does a nice job of attacking the line in run support.

Negatives: Doesn't have a great deal of bulk or strength, which limits the impact of his hits and can make him vulnerable against larger ball-carriers. ... Character questions.

4. Aaron Rouse, Virginia Tech

Positives: Size (6-4, 223 pounds), speed, and athleticism. ... Outstanding instincts. ... Avoids being fooled by play fakes. ... Reads quarterbacks well. ... Superb hands. ... Uses height to his advantage in out-jumping receivers and knocking down passes. ...

Negatives: Sometimes his long legs cause him to take a misstep and he finds himself at a disadvantage in coverage.

5. Eric Weddle, Utah

Positives: Outstanding athlete. ... Intelligence. ... Shows excellent instincts and natural playmaking skills. ... Versatility; played cornerback as well as safety in college. ... Should make an immediate impact on special teams.

Negatives: Doesn't have ideal speed. ... Isn't a particularly hard hitter.

oregonpackfan
03-29-2007, 03:45 PM
I've seen Weddle from Utah play. The word "instincts" really describes his play. He diagnoses and reacts to a play very quickly.

The word "tenacious" also describes him as well.

Fritz
03-30-2007, 01:26 PM
Yes, but OregonPackFan, they describe him as "intelligent." I have found in NFL-speak that that is a cut-down most of the time. It means he isn't fast.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-30-2007, 02:05 PM
Thought Griffin would make that list for sure.

red
03-30-2007, 02:40 PM
i like how he says merriweather is too small to play saftey at 5'10 and 5/8 and 195 pounds

but one of the positives for nelson is his size, at 5'11 198

i guess the difference between a good safety and a saftey that should be a corner is 3/8ths of an inch and three pounds

maybe brandon should wear thicker socks?

cheesner
03-30-2007, 02:49 PM
Apparently the Griffin ommission was unintentional - the article has been updated

1. LaRon Landry, LSU

2. Reggie Nelson, Florida (Underclassman)

3. Michael Griffin, Texas

Positives: Size (5-11-plus, 201 pounds), strength, speed, and athleticism ... Excels in man-to-man coverage ... Tremendously hard hitter ... Able to hold up well against larger blockers at the line of scrimmage ... Toughness ... Competitiveness.

Negatives: Needs to develop better instincts to avoid being caught out of position ... Could stand to improve his tackling skills.

4. Brandon Meriweather, Miami (Fla.)

5. Aaron Rouse, Virginia Tech

MadtownPacker
03-30-2007, 03:08 PM
So would all these guys still be available at #16?

Rastak
03-30-2007, 04:32 PM

Not #1........Landry will be long gone I think.....

Green Bud Packer
03-30-2007, 04:46 PM

Not #1........Landry will be long gone I think..... landry is my favorite guy in the draft. with trade down teddy he look's gone, but man, he would be sweet in green bay.

Rastak
03-30-2007, 04:50 PM

Not #1........Landry will be long gone I think..... landry is my favorite guy in the draft. with trade down teddy he look's gone, but man, he would be sweet in green bay.

I don't follow College Football outside Minnesota much so I haven't seen the guy play but he sure has been getting some good press in the pre-draft publications......

Green Bud Packer
03-30-2007, 04:59 PM
i had thoughts of willie wood and leroy butler when i watched him play. i know the guy hasn't played a down in the n.f.l. but neither had wood or butler,